• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

Skux

Any Parisians or French historians here? How does the city size compare to revolutionary Paris, is it a near 1:1 as advertised?

Yasae

Banned
Did Ubisoft patch out all the glitches with the game yet?

Not really seeing the game breaking stuff in this =\
It's greatly exaggerated like with most Ubisoft games.

On PC at least, if I were reviewing this game glitches wouldn't factor into my score whatsoever. They were very minor. This is one of the most incorrectly portrayed games on all of GAF. It's a record setter. The best points against this game are in this OT thread! Kind of says it all.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Has anyone on PS4 actually had the Master Architect trophy register for them? I fulfilled the requirements, but no trophy. :(

scoobs

On PC at least, if I were reviewing this game glitches wouldn't factor into my score whatsoever. They were very minor. This is one of the most incorrectly portrayed games on all of GAF. It's a record setter. The best points against this game are in this OT thread! Kind of says it all.

I dunno, I've seen people disappear into the ground about 10 times in 2-3 hours of gameplay. That and just the overall shitty performance makes me feel the hate this game is getting is somewhat justified.

But havent you heard? this game is essentially a PS1 game, in fact ps1 looks better sometimes.

people actually said that lol

As a technical showcase, the performance is poor and it's disappointing that there are so many glitches.

As a game. This is the best AC yet. Absolutely loving it.

mre

I got that no problems.
Well, dammit. So far I've purchased all of the social clubs, completed all of the renovations at the theater, and completed all of the theater missions. Do you have to complete all of the social club missions as well?

Well, dammit. So far I've purchased all of the social clubs, completed all of the renovations at the theater, and completed all of the theater missions. Do you have to complete all of the social club missions as well?

ive done absolutely nothing with the social clubs.

I just searched around and see a lot of people on the Ubi forums having the same problem

I haven't enjoyed AC for years but I am loving this! Performance isn't bad at all on my machine (4790K,780), I've just turned down some settings, still looks amazing at 1440p.

I don't even mind the English accents, faux French accents speaking English would have been much worse IMHO.

Great game, not sure what made me buy it but I am glad I did!

mre

ive done absolutely nothing with the social clubs.

I just searched around and see a lot of people on the Ubi forums having the same problem
God damn it, Ubisoft. Since there's no option for separate game saves, I'm not sure what to do in order to get that trophy.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
You just renovate the theatre, that's all it requires.

Paganmoon

Anyone else feel like their steering a tank when controlling Arno? And I'm not talking about the running on the ground, but the climbing, and moving on the roofs, he feels so damned... heavy, very different to control compared to the previous games, annoying me quite a bit honestly.

I also thought Middle earth was overwhelming when the world opened up, with so much to do, but in this game, I haven't left the Notre Dame area yet, cause there are icons EVERYWHERE on my screen.

Regarding framedrops, not noticing it much when I expect to notice it (large crowds), but instead noticing it in empty or quiet areas a lot, really strange. Sometimes the game hits 30FPS stable for a few seconds, though, and you realize how shit it's running the rest of the time.

Regarding IQ, god damn the game can look gorgeous, and then suddenly you pan the camera and, whoop, LOD. I think this has to be one of the most inconsistent games, in regards to framerate and IQ, that I have ever played.

Oh, and my companion app got it's nomad levels reset so, there's also that.

But it's an AC game, and I'm really enjoying it nonetheless :)

Sickbean

Two quick questions:

1) What happened to Police Stations (or whatever they were in AC2) - where you could kill the police chief and have no more guards in a particular area?

2) Do you ever get to (rift spoiler)
Just explore 19th Century Paris a your leisure?

Mendax

Two quick questions:

1) What happened to Police Stations (or whatever they were in AC2) - where you could kill the police chief and have no more guards in a particular area?

2) Do you ever get to (rift spoiler)
Just explore 19th Century Paris a your leisure?

1) renovate social clubs and complete social clubs missions to decrease the amount of extremists in the area (enemies in red)

2) you can go back there but i dont know if its at your leisure as i havent tried it yet myself

Sickbean

1) renovate social clubs and complete social clubs missions to decrease the amount of extremists in the area (enemies in red)

2) you can go back there but i dont know if its at your leisure as i havent tried it yet myself

Okay thanks. So there will always be a police presence?

Braag

yay I found Shay's outfit from a golden chest. Even though I don't own Rogue, I guess it doesn't matter.

YThb.png

Anyone else feel like their steering a tank when controlling Arno? And I'm not talking about the running on the ground, but the climbing, and moving on the roofs, he feels so damned... heavy, very different to control compared to the previous games, annoying me quite a bit honestly.

This is probably my biggest gripe with the game. Running, climbing and combat all feel sluggish and janky.

Yes, his inertia when transitioning from one direction to the other is very annoying, especially when you get 'stuck' on the environment because for some reason, the game doesn't accept your climbing path.

I wish the game would just let you 'aim' your parkour with a visual indicator, something like Catwoman's traversal in Arkham City (although hopefully less on the nose.) Too often, I'm surprised by the path Arno takes which doesn't matter much when journeying across the city but in stealth missions, it can be infuriating.

Mendax

Okay thanks. So there will always be a police presence?

oh sorry yeah the actual police is in blue but there arent that many o them and they dont attack you if you dont really misbehave. the extremists are the annoying ones and its really good to make them have less presence

Atedos

So, I'm on sequence 12 now, and I can say the game is pretty good.
Really, performance-wise it's not so different from AC3. Not that it is a good example certainly, but at least it didn't get much worse. Cinematcis, graphics, level of detail are all great. Story and to-do stuff are also cool.
And I wouldn't call it the worst AC in series. In fact it reminds me of my most favorite AC2.

Mendax

So, I'm on sequence 12 now, and I can say the game is pretty good.
Really, performance-wise it's not so different from AC3. Not that it is a good example certainly, but at least it didn't get much worse. Cinematcis, graphics, level of detail are all great. Story and to-do stuff are also cool.
And I wouldn't call it the worst AC in series. In fact it reminds me of my most favorite AC2.

come back after finishing that sequence and try to say that again ;)

mre

do all the other trophies, upload your save, begin a new game and renovate again (only costs a few K), afterwards download old save again?
Yeah, this will probably be what i end up doing eventually. Thanks.

Doing Paris Tales in the northern part of the city, I feel like I've spent the last hour playing with the framerate in slideshow territory. People need to stop downplaying the issue, because the performance in this game is seriously horrific. I've played smoother alphas. Releasing the game in this state should be a permanent black mark on Ubisoft's record; no matter what they do in the future, they'll always be the company that did this.

It never goes away, either. It's not like the occasional glitches and weird animation hangups, it's just always there. The framerate is always bad. It starts off at bad and then drops to worse, and then stays there for extended periods. The only time I've ever seen it hit a stable 30 is when I look directly at a wall and stop moving the camera, or when I'm in a Helix Rift and there are no NPCs around.

Yasae

Banned
I dunno, I've seen people disappear into the ground about 10 times in 2-3 hours of gameplay. That and just the overall shitty performance makes me feel the hate this game is getting is somewhat justified.
Was it in ten different places? Were they playing the same version of the game?

I'm not saying these things don't exist, but I swear to god the rate at which they're mentioned in Ubisoft threads is 100000% what their actual occurrence probably is. It's brought up so much that Unity on GAF is the most glitchy game ever released were we to believe the 5 or 10 threads on it. Purely a statistical impossibility.

The sometimes low framerate, while it doesn't affect me whatsoever on PC, is fair game for the console versions. And maybe the console versions have more glitches, or buggier AI, I don't know. In my version of the game that's just not the case. The PC version didn't even get a review anyway; it was swept under the rug despite being somewhat competent.

I've played 30 hours. Someone would have to show me where the major glitches are. This title is rushed but it's far from unplayable.

Yasae

Banned
Yes, his inertia when transitioning from one direction to the other is very annoying, especially when you get 'stuck' on the environment because for some reason, the game doesn't accept your climbing path.

I wish the game would just let you 'aim' your parkour with a visual indicator, something like Catwoman's traversal in Arkham City (although hopefully less on the nose.) Too often, I'm surprised by the path Arno takes which doesn't matter much when journeying across the city but in stealth missions, it can be infuriating.
Indeed.

Remember when GTA IV came out and you tried "steering" Niko in the right direction?

It's kinda like that. Not nearly as bad, but still...

dreamfall

Doing Paris Tales in the northern part of the city, I feel like I've spent the last hour playing with the framerate in slideshow territory. People need to stop downplaying the issue, because the performance in this game is seriously horrific. I've played smoother alphas. Releasing the game in this state should be a permanent black mark on Ubisoft's record; no matter what they do in the future, they'll always be the company that did this.

It never goes away, either. It's not like the occasional glitches and weird animation hangups, it's just always there. The framerate is always bad. It starts off at bad and then drops to worse, and then stays there for extended periods. The only time I've ever seen it hit a stable 30 is when I look directly at a wall and stop moving the camera, or when I'm in a Helix Rift and there are no NPCs around.

I just hit Sequence 6, and I can attest to the fact that tonight the framerate was dipping pretty horrendously (PS4). I don't know what it is- I'm not entirely sure if that patch made things worse, but it seems to keep struggling with UPlay servers going on/offline. I didn't try to disconnect or anything as I was mingling in co-op missions, but it was pretty bad.

Still enjoying myself greatly, I kind of wish the major assassination missions in each sequence felt more like Hitman. It's weird because doing subtasks for each hit feels really cool- there are some wonderful opportunities to really make it feel like your own unique assassination. I just want more of that!

Still opening a ton of chests, finally got Lockpicking 2 after finishing Sequence 5, so it'll be more map clearing and money making since renovating the Theatre!

In-Famous

I also thought Middle earth was overwhelming when the world opened up, with so much to do, but in this game, I haven't left the Notre Dame area yet, cause there are icons EVERYWHERE on my screen.

Regarding framedrops, not noticing it much when I expect to notice it (large crowds), but instead noticing it in empty or quiet areas a lot, really strange. Sometimes the game hits 30FPS stable for a few seconds, though, and you realize how shit it's running the rest of the time.

Regarding IQ, god damn the game can look gorgeous, and then suddenly you pan the camera and, whoop, LOD. I think this has to be one of the most inconsistent games, in regards to framerate and IQ, that I have ever played.

Oh, and my companion app got it's nomad levels reset so, there's also that.

But it's an AC game, and I'm really enjoying it nonetheless :)

Yes controlling Arno can be painfully annoying.

Im also having trouble wiht my companion app not syncing, it was fine at first but now it just wont work.

AC protagonists have always controlled like trucks. It's a combination of having the default movement speed being 'walk' (rather than 'jog' like in most games), the momentum (when you let off the stick he keeps walking for a couple of steps) and the determination to use all those painstakingly motion-captured animations, and it makes these guys a complete nightmare to steer around tight hallways. It's kind of like mooring a boat; you have to plan every move well in advance :p

Skux

I've just finished the second main assassination (yay, no insta-fail tailing mission!) and AC2 is a good comparison. AC2 was just you and the cities, amazing buildings to climb, and a truckload of icons. Apart from the co-op, this is the purest an AC game has been since AC2, and it shows you don't need all those gimmicks if you execute the core gameplay well.

No Brotherhood assistance, no silly spreadsheet minigame, no awful tower defense, no bomb crafting, no hunting, no sailing the high seas, and yet it's still so much fun infiltrating a bourgeois mansion, sneaking past the guards, ransacking the treasure and stabbing a crime lord.

Can anyone tell me how much of a role guns play in this game? I was talking to a friend all evening long, with him playing Unity while I was driving through the streets of Hong Kong (Sleeping Dogs DE), and I swear I heard the word "pistol" way too often :p

Mendax

Can anyone tell me how much of a role guns play in this game? I was talking to a friend all evening long, with him playing Unity while I was driving through the streets of Hong Kong (Sleeping Dogs DE), and I swear I heard the word "pistol" way too often :p

enemies use them a lot, especially when fighting three or more at the same time one or two of them tend to take a step back and pull out their pistols. Using them a lot yourself is not really an option unless you want to keep running back to shops to buy more ammo as you can only carry a very limited amount of it. I mainly use them for making headshots on single unaware enemies or if they need to get out of a fight real quick.

Skux

Pistols exist but are often not the best way to do things due to noise, reload times, short range, limited ammunition, and firing delays (you take aim before you draw so there's a delay in firing, so you can't play it like a shooter). The quick draw is a very useful "sucker punch" in a fight though, and I can see the rifles being very useful in co-op missions.

enemies use them a lot, especially when fighting three or more at the same time one or two of them tend to take a step back and pull out their pistols. Using them a lot yourself is not really an option unless you want to keep running back to shops to buy more ammo as you can only carry a very limited amount of it. I mainly use them for making headshots on single unaware enemies or if they need to get out of a fight real quick.

So it's still possible to play through the game without making use of guns or all the other gadgets like bombs etc.? I never used that stuff in past AC games and I plan to continue that way, that's why I'm asking :)

I played 4 hours, maybe 5, and I have never seen it. The only glitch I've seen was a random npc jumping in the air 2 meters for a single second.
No npcs switching clothes, btw, and people talked of it as it was very common and present in all the versions.

So it's still possible to play through the game without making use of guns or all the other gadgets like bombs etc.? I never used that stuff in past AC games and I plan to continue that way, that's why I'm asking :)

I think this game would be a real pain if you never used any projectile weapons. Lots of stealth missions with snipers on rooftops, often covering eachother's backs so you can't really sneak around and stab them all. They aren't insta-fail stealth missions, but you don't want to get into a fight on the ground floor when a bunch of snipers can shoot at you; rifle shots are often one-hit kills. Things go much more smoothly if you shoot all the snipers beforehand, either with a pistol, rifle or your magic projectile blade things.

cr1tikal posted a yt vid of Unity - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94yP8_U_zaQ

I definitely laughed at the part where he says "Yes I believe I've mastered freerunning, I'm to the point where I can phase through buildings"

I watched the video yesterday, and he was playing with the pirate version. In fact, he has re-uploaded the video but now putting a white box in the upper left part of the screen so we can't see the name of the profile (it was "ali213", google it if you want)

Skux

It's doable but will be quite challenging. I recommend using what you have when you see a use for it. There are far fewer gadgets this time round as well so it's fairly straightforward - smoke to run away, cherry bomb to distract, phantom blade for stealth sniping

I think this game would be a real pain if you never used any projectile weapons. Lots of stealth missions with snipers on rooftops, often covering eachother's backs so you can't really sneak around and stab them all. They aren't insta-fail stealth missions, but you don't want to get into a fight on the ground floor when a bunch of snipers can shoot at you; rifle shots are often one-hit kills. Things go much more smoothly if you shoot all the snipers beforehand, either with a pistol, rifle or your magic projectile blade things.

It's doable but will be quite challenging. I recommend using what you have when you see a use for it. There are far fewer gadgets this time round as well so it's fairly straightforward - smoke to run away, cherry bomb to distract, phantom blade for stealth sniping

Thanks guys!

This is why I fear the (inevitable?) WW I/II setting in any future AC game, I imagine it will be a challenge for Ubisoft to keep up the close combat aspect of the series in an age where everyone fights with long range weapons.

You can actually cull the snipers by making a round of the rooftops before descending into the red area, but matrix-cat's suggestion is much quicker... but if you really don't want to use projectiles, it's manageable (had to do a few times because I'm too lazy to keep my supplies topped up.) The disguise perk helps too.

Montresor

I don't have the game yet, but my brother is going to give me his copy probably in January.

So to prepare myself in advance of that, I decided to log into the AC Initiates web site, because you need to log in and sync there to open gold chests in AC Unity, right? I've played and beaten every AC game except for AC3. So I try to log in - "there was a connection error". Okay, pass.

I tried the AC Unity Companion app on my Windows phone and I couldn't play more than 5 minutes. What an unfun app/game. I had some stupid mini-game and only two recruits, and with those two recruits I'd only have a 90+% chance of success on the mini-game (I wanted 100%). So I clicked on add new recruit and I was taken to some page where it looked like I would need to spend grindable currency. I decided to not even bother. Uninstalled it. Again, pass.

Thank goodness the blue (AC Initiates) chests and gold (Companion app) chests aren't needed for trophies/achievements...

Top Bottom