• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

probably a dumb question but how do you know what mission you are on?

Go to "Progress Tracker", I think it shows the current mission under "Currently Tracking". But yeah, it should be as easy as just bringing up the menu and seeing it right there (instead of all the BS ads they put there)

Holy shit, I'm even okay with a few drops below 30 for games but even on the better performing Xbox One version, there are some really messed up moments in this game so far.

I really don't understand why Ubisoft is so incessant on having such large and dense crowds.

Braag

You have to have an absurdly high initiate level, which is just bullshit. My level is 5. One of the requirements is level 13 (might be the Templar one, I'm not sure). Based on what I saw on the initiates site, you'd have to play Assassin's Creed games every waking hour of your life to hit that level O_O

Inititates site shows I'm at lv.22
I have 100% all the previous games though.

Braag

Want all the gear? Too bad you have to wait an unknown amount of months, because fuck you we're Ubisoft.
Lol. Getting all the gear is pretty damn hard. Everything is locked behind an annoying barrier. Most of the legendary items are unlocked via the social club competitions....
Then there are the companion app items, Initiate items...

kjzau9W.png

ssjali

The more I play it, the more I love it.

I really like how there is no auto-healing anymore, back to the roots. It is also great that they didn't place enemies on the rooftops. They were like on every second in the previous games, really annoying the shit out of me.

Corpekata

Banned
The more I play it, the more I love it.

I really like how there is no auto-healing anymore, back to the roots. It is also great that they didn't place enemies on the rooftops. They were like on every second in the previous games, really annoying the shit out of me.

Got some bad news for you.

Skyzard

Banned
Nice what are your settings? locked at 30 fps? I'm kinda interested in trying to go for 60 again.

In-game settings:
max everything except - high textures and FXAA
2560x1440 resolution

nvidia inspector for vsync.
msi+rtss for locking to 31fps.

System specs:
4770K 4.4
780 ti sc
16GB DDR3
SSD

Yasae

Banned
I saw every single glitch he experienced, including flying through a wall and ending up in inside a building (no way out) on the PS4 version so its not exclusive to PC or pirated versions.

Anyone who says the game isn't buggy for them simply hasn't finished the game. It gets exponentially worse as you get closer to the end, and the last few sequences are just horrible with thousands of NPCs in multiple spots dragging your frame rate down to single digits, while you try to parkour around.
Alright, we'll see. Tall glass of water to say the game will get more buggy though considering how long I've already played... Though maybe being further in the story is linked to a higher rate of bugs. Who knows?

DukeBobby

The murder investigations are pretty cool. The side missions in this are certainly a step up from the previous games.

Maybe it's because I haven't bothered with the series for a while, or maybe I've gone totally insane, but I'm actually quite enjoying this game. It's not going to be in my GOTY list or anything, but it isn't bad. I never thought I'd say that about an Assassin's Creed game.

Hmm, I might play Black Flag next.

I'm really trying to see the good in the game and there is indeed some but the more time I spend playing it, the more it unravels.

They really phoned this one in.

Co-op is a joke. There was actually more co-op in Wolf Pack missions in Blackflag. It's more playing alongside other people rather than playing with them and doing a mission together.

There are some interesting new animations and the parkour controls are innovative...sortof...but as much as I hate supporting Electronics Boutique I believe I will be trading this in tomorrow.

RedAssedApe

Banned
For those having Initiates issues its something they are still working on:

- Initiates

Players cannot access the Assassin's Creed Initiates website FIXED
Uplay WIN services are down WORKING ON IT
Legacy synched data is not showing properly WORKING ON IT
Player get an error message when trying to redeem chests WORKING ON IT

I think our levels are just based on completion of Unity. I'm at level 7 right now and it shows I've completed zero of the previous games.

Gaz_RB

Kind of addicted to this game despite all the flaws. Wish coop worked better. For me it's oftentimes a laggy mess barring some shining moments of brilliance.

just beat the game and got the platinum. I really enjoyed this, definitely one of my favorite AC games. Still never saw the preorder dlc show up in my game, not sure what the deal is with that. Also, it looks like the companion shit does count towards 100% sync. I am stuck at 99% and all I have left are the missions and artifacts from the app left, chests from it dont count for anything it seems.

Skux

Co-op is a joke. There was actually more co-op in Wolf Pack missions in Blackflag. It's more playing alongside other people rather than playing with them and doing a mission together.

I think that's actually the most phoned-in part, which is funny given how much they sold the game around it.

- It's a bunch of completely optional side missions that take place over the course of the Revolution and have no bearing on your single player campaign or its historical timeline. You can be in 1791 and suddenly jump to something that happened in 1795.

- You can complete all co-op missions solo. They don't even do the silly forced thing of needing two people to open a door.

- The Disguise ability was taken from the multiplayer where it makes sense that players are hacking the animus. It makes zero sense in the context of a team of assassins doing a real-world operation together.

- The game's fighting mechanics do not support multiplayer melees. Fighting is forced into 1-on-1 combat. If it's a 2-on-1 I'll miss half my attacks because my ally pressed his button first and it has to play his animation, breaking my combo flow. There are no team-up attacks, no way to parry a foe attacking another player unless you attack him.

dex3108

Thanks. Had 55 points, so got them all. Says I can download the soundtrack on the PS4...?

For Soundtrack you will need to go to uplay.com but it is not complete soundtrack. You will get 26 songs and that is mix from Vol1 and Vol2 of official soundtrack on itunes.

Mendax

everyone talking about initiates not recognizing your progress in earlier AC games; have you checked the "XP breakdown" tab on your initiates profiles? It shows exactly what I own and how much I completed of those games

fernoca

everyone talking about initiates not recognizing your progress in earlier AC games; have you checked the "XP breakdown" tab on your initiates profiles? It shows exactly what I own and how much I completed of those games
That's the thing.
It says I haven't played any of the games and that I need to sync them. Yet, it gave me 2,000 for completing ACII. Then Uplay shows every AC I've played.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

The thing doesn't recognize anything but Unity for me, for whatever reason. I've always logged into UPlay with past AC games, and the Uplay app even recognizes that I've unlocked Uplay points in those games.

Whatever, I really don't care that much, but the whole thing is just really dumb and makes me feel like I'm participating in some business man's evil plot rather than enjoying a creative work.

Can I also take a second to comment on just how completely shitty the Nomads companion app is? Last year's app was at least not offensive and provided a helpful benefit. Being able to manage your fleet for extra money in the game while you were out and about was pretty cool. Kind of throwaway, but still not bad. It was a pretty slick app, too.

This Nomads thing is a bloated piece of shit. I'm on an iPhone 6 Plus an the time it takes to get into the thing is irritating. Not to mention the constant brief loading times any time you transition menus. Worst of all, the gameplay is just hot garbage. It's like all of the frustrating stuff you hate from social games, but none of the things that people like (I don't even know what people like about social games, but I'm sure it's not present in this app). Progress is slow and frustrating (having leveled up guys just randomly die), which I'm sure was intentional to get you to spend money on unlocking the full app or something. No idea why anyone would pay money to get even more out of this horrendous app, but I'm sure a spreadsheet on some asshole's computer at Ubisoft justified it.

It doesn't even make clear what kind of in-game benefits it offers and what the milestones are. The chests in game just tell you to play more. Fuck that. I'm done with it.

And I'm also done doing any of the side stuff in AC: Unity other than the Social Club renovations so I can get more money to buy gear.

I'm enjoying bits and pieces of the game, and it's downright beautiful, but I don't think I'll be buying next year's entry. This is kind of the tipping point. No longer do these feel like creative works, but more like manufactured pieces of busywork pooped out of some video game asset generator. It must be a nightmare to work on these games and see your work so heavily compromised with all of this gross baggage like microtransactions and forced participation in pointless companion apps and websites and such.

I used to love doing the side content of Assassin's Creed games. It was kind of relaxing to navigate the environment and grab all of the bits and bobs that were placed around the environment. No longer, though. Constantly being told I haven't leveled up the lockpick skill enough or that I haven't been a good enough Ubisoft customer makes it nothing but a frustrating experience.

The business men at Ubisoft need to pull their heads out of their asses. I highly doubt I'm the only Assassin's Creed fan who feels this way after playing Unity. I hope the sentiment is reflected in reduced sales of whatever they put out next year.

Wow, that got longer than I expected... Oh well, sorry for the rant.

those stats are so messed up. For AC2 is says I have 67% sync and havent started the story at all. I have 100% syncd that game

Skux

My Initiates profile is all intact, I started at Level 8.

So uPlay is working now? And they let people buy the Unite DLC using points?

Carbonox

My Uplay account recognizes all the previous AC games I played but Initiates (which uses the same account obviously) thinks I'm a newbie and haven't played a single AC game (it doesn't even recognize I'm playing Unity). I guess that's what UbiSoft is working on but it's effectively a comical piece of shit that no one even wanted or wants to use when it locks you out of in-game shit.

Black Flag got it right for me. The companion app was simple, fun and I don't recall (though please correct me) being locked away from content in Black Flag itself by bullshit requirements in the app. It was just another way of managing stuff you could do in the game as well.

Should have stuck with that same system. Just replace the ship management with the assassin management if you needed something.

But throwing in an additional website AND an app for in-game content? Fuck off away from gaming please. Uplay is far as I'd tolerate it because it's easy to use (at least for me).

Mendax

strange, my initiates xp breakdown is also correct. Except for unity which still says "coming soon" lol. maybe mine is stuck its pre-release state or something..

AC2: 67%, story not started
Brotherhood: story completed, 7% sync. Story only shows 2000/2500 xp
Revelations: 97% sync, story completed. Again only shows 2000/2500 xp for story
AC3: 2000/2500 xp for story completed. 100% sync
AC4: 200/2500 xp for story completed. 99% sync
Freedom Cry: Story not started. 100% sync

Those are all the problems I have with Initiates. I have 100% syncd all of them and obviously finished their stories in doing so

Im still stuck at level 1. Shit blows. I want my Connor outfit

It's really not that great. Since Conner was definitely the most bulky of the AC characters, they definitely took the original model and scaled it down a little, resulting in some of it looking a bit wonky like the hood. Edwards outfit and Shay's look great. I also think Altair and Ezio's were reworked entirely and also look great. <--Haven't unlocked those two yet.

Corgi

Banned
just got home. update 3 out yet?

call me an entitled gamer, but I would love to be able to customize my equipment and skills without the game crashing to desktop everytime!

Bebpo

Banned
What's worse than Initiates not working right is the companion app chests that after like 2 days of playing you start unlocking chests that give you....250F and that's it.

Like why bother spending all the time on the app constantly sending people on missions, waiting, managing your brotherhood to unlock chests that are pathetic. They should at least give you unique items/equip or sync points or something.

This whole fleet/assassin's meta-game thing has never been particularly good and is just another time-waster for AC. Would be fine if the mobile app was without it. But I guess they gotta find something to get you with in-app purchase upgrades. The database in-app purchase upgrade is really sad. $2 to listen to your 6 songs in your database while with AC4 you could listen to 20-30 shanty songs for free on the app.

I like the murder mysteries, but so far they've been too easy to actually be a mystery. It basically points you to the guilty person. Would like some thinking like the glyph riddles require.

Netprints

What's worse than Initiates not working right is the companion app chests that after like 2 days of playing you start unlocking chests that give you....250F and that's it.

Like why bother spending all the time on the app constantly sending people on missions, waiting, managing your brotherhood to unlock chests that are pathetic. They should at least give you unique items/equip or sync points or something.

I was very disappointed with that. I will no longer play the app.

The thing doesn't recognize anything but Unity for me, for whatever reason. I've always logged into UPlay with past AC games, and the Uplay app even recognizes that I've unlocked Uplay points in those games.

Whatever, I really don't care that much, but the whole thing is just really dumb and makes me feel like I'm participating in some business man's evil plot rather than enjoying a creative work.

Can I also take a second to comment on just how completely shitty the Nomads companion app is? Last year's app was at least not offensive and provided a helpful benefit. Being able to manage your fleet for extra money in the game while you were out and about was pretty cool. Kind of throwaway, but still not bad. It was a pretty slick app, too.

This Nomads thing is a bloated piece of shit. I'm on an iPhone 6 Plus an the time it takes to get into the thing is irritating. Not to mention the constant brief loading times any time you transition menus. Worst of all, the gameplay is just hot garbage. It's like all of the frustrating stuff you hate from social games, but none of the things that people like (I don't even know what people like about social games, but I'm sure it's not present in this app). Progress is slow and frustrating (having leveled up guys just randomly die), which I'm sure was intentional to get you to spend money on unlocking the full app or something. No idea why anyone would pay money to get even more out of this horrendous app, but I'm sure a spreadsheet on some asshole's computer at Ubisoft justified it.

It doesn't even make clear what kind of in-game benefits it offers and what the milestones are. The chests in game just tell you to play more. Fuck that. I'm done with it.

And I'm also done doing any of the side stuff in AC: Unity other than the Social Club renovations so I can get more money to buy gear.

I'm enjoying bits and pieces of the game, and it's downright beautiful, but I don't think I'll be buying next year's entry. This is kind of the tipping point. No longer do these feel like creative works, but more like manufactured pieces of busywork pooped out of some video game asset generator. It must be a nightmare to work on these games and see your work so heavily compromised with all of this gross baggage like microtransactions and forced participation in pointless companion apps and websites and such.

I used to love doing the side content of Assassin's Creed games. It was kind of relaxing to navigate the environment and grab all of the bits and bobs that were placed around the environment. No longer, though. Constantly being told I haven't leveled up the lockpick skill enough or that I haven't been a good enough Ubisoft customer makes it nothing but a frustrating experience.

The business men at Ubisoft need to pull their heads out of their asses. I highly doubt I'm the only Assassin's Creed fan who feels this way after playing Unity. I hope the sentiment is reflected in reduced sales of whatever they put out next year.

Wow, that got longer than I expected... Oh well, sorry for the rant.

In the same boat, I'm playing through it but this is must be the worst implementation of forced hooks to other mediums I've seen, to the point it feels like they focused more on that than the core game itself. In terms of the side content, I had the same issue with Watch Dogs but it feels like ubi have given up having any context for them, in AC2, all the side missions and collectables were given some in game context, even if it was "your sister lost all her feathers, go find them", and they're introduction was staggered to ease you into them. Here, after the tutorial everything's plonked on your map without any reason, all at once and just an "off you go" while the actual interesting side content like the cafe and social clubs aren't even introduced, you're just expected to find them amongst the dozens of icons on the screen and seem to be fairly easy to miss.

Bebpo

Banned

Yeah, I'm pretty impressed for sure. After finishing up all the stuff on the central islands I went to google maps and did street view and was really impressed by how accurate the game is and how it recreates all the historical buildings in the Ile de la cite. Since the game is missing some landmark information "when it just says LANDMARK lol", at least I can google map the building and get some historical context myself.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The worst thing about the companion app is that the only actual "gameplay" in the entire thing is annoying as fuck to play. It's like the worst minigame of all time, and that's all there is to do. And you have to play it, over and over and over,

I could think up a better gameplay hook in 5 mins. Anything would be better.

Top Bottom