• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

Mendax

I don't have the game yet, but my brother is going to give me his copy probably in January.

So to prepare myself in advance of that, I decided to log into the AC Initiates web site, because you need to log in and sync there to open gold chests in AC Unity, right? I've played and beaten every AC game except for AC3. So I try to log in - "there was a connection error". Okay, pass.

I tried the AC Unity Companion app on my Windows phone and I couldn't play more than 5 minutes. What an unfun app/game. I had some stupid mini-game and only two recruits, and with those two recruits I'd only have a 90+% chance of success on the mini-game (I wanted 100%). So I clicked on add new recruit and I was taken to some page where it looked like I would need to spend grindable currency. I decided to not even bother. Uninstalled it. Again, pass.

Thank goodness the blue (AC Initiates) chests and gold (Companion app) chests aren't needed for trophies/achievements...

when you do get the game the initiates stuff will work, all you have do is link your uplay profile to an initiates profile (which you do via one press of a button on the main menu) and you will immediately be able to open almost all of the gold chests if you played all previous games.

RedAssedApe

Banned
when you do get the game the initiates stuff will work, all you have do is link your uplay profile to an initiates profile (which you do via one press of a button on the main menu) and you will immediately be able to open almost all of the gold chests if you played all previous games.

initiates has never worked for me. still says that i've never played a previous ass creed game even though when i login to uplay it shows ac4. do you have to have completed it 100% for it to show up in initiates or something?

nevermind...see that ubi already posted that its broken and they are working on a fix for the syncing.

TimFL

Thanks guys!

This is why I fear the (inevitable?) WW I/II setting in any future AC game, I imagine it will be a challenge for Ubisoft to keep up the close combat aspect of the series in an age where everyone fights with long range weapons.

AFAIK Ubisoft said they wont take the AC franchise to time periods with automated weapons.

Man, the assassination missions are such an great improvement over previous installments. It's still Hitman-lite but a highlight of the game nonetheless.

General movement is the most frustrating thing in the game right now. I wish the cover system was less exacting - the AC people need to borrow some mechanics from Watch_Dogs or Splinter Cell. And I feel challenge of the parkour should be based on timing and rhythm rather than eyeballing the 'correct' route across endlessly unpredictable surfaces... it's so annoying have Arno just stop dead because you didn't guess the correct route up an edifice.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
How the fuck do you disable tips. They're doing my fucking head in.

cackhyena

Go to options and under hud, click hidden on the updates section. That or tutorial. Can't remember now. I've turned everything off except player widget to know what state my health is in. So much better.

Paganmoon

Oh yes. thought about this yesterday, and it sort of shows there were many different teams working on different parts, as I kept getting tips/database-entries/mission info overlapping the whole time. quite annoying.

mf luder

I'm in a bit of a quandary, I don't know if I should get this, far cry 4 or gtav. I've only recently finished gta and far cry 3 on ps3 so I'm not sure I want to play them again so soon (I know far cry 4 is a completely new game but a very similar experience apparently), I've only played AC 2 so it should be a fresher experience than the other 2 but reading all the problems with this game is putting me off. Any advice?

I'm in a bit of a quandary, I don't know if I should get this, far cry 4 or gtav. I've only recently finished gta and far cry 3 on ps3 so I'm not sure I want to play them again so soon (I know far cry 4 is a completely new game but a very similar experience apparently), I've only played AC 2 so it should be a fresher experience than the other 2 but reading all the problems with this game is putting me off. Any advice?

It wouldn't be the worst idea to wait a few more weeks until all the obvious bugs and glitches are fixed, considering you will be able to get the game at a much better price near Christmas.

Yeah as said above I'd recommend waiting until closer to Christmas. By then much of the bugs/glitches/jank/performance will be ironed out. There is actually quite a bit of good, smart stuff in Unity, but it's all so undermined by the lack of polish. It'll be a much better game in another month.

mf luder

It wouldn't be the worst idea to wait a few more weeks until all the obvious bugs and glitches are fixed, considering you will be able to get the game at a much better price near Christmas.

Yeah as said above I'd recommend waiting until closer to Christmas. By then much of the bugs/glitches/jank/performance will be ironed out. There is actually quite a bit of good, smart stuff in Unity, but it's all so undermined by the lack of polish. It'll be a much better game in another month.

Thanks. The only reason I want to get one of them now is because I've got a £10 promotional voucher with amazon uk which only works towards one of the big 5 games in november ACU, FC3, GTAV, Halo and I forget the other one.

Now that the game and the app and everything are working properly, I've gotten really into it. To the point that I kinda wanna buy Rogue when I'm done with this. What is wrong with me?

God, the framerate even affects the lockpicking minigame. Ubisoft needs to be raked over the coals for releasing the game in this state. I was waiting for a patch to come that might fix the framerate before I continued with the story, but at this point I think I'm just going to blaze through to the end and get rid of it while there's still some resale value. I'd strongly recommend that nobody pay money for this junk. I think there's a decent Assassin's Creed game hiding in there, but the framerate is just so rotten it's not worth the ordeal.

TGO

Tbf I haven't had problems with the framerate since I updated it apart from certain locations that are known for serious drops.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

dex3108

So about that ACU Soundtrack UPlay Reward. You will get 26 songs in m4a format and variable kbps from 250 to 280. As far as i can see songs are mixed from Vol1 and Vol2 of official soundtrack on itunes.

Anyone else having issues with achievements unlocking? I have "Curtain Call" for the final sequence completion but nothing for 10-11..?

Loved the game, had a few issues along the way but nothing large enough for me to use as a reason that someone should not buy the game. It was an evolution of two in every way and I enjoyed my time with it. Some missions were annoying and others were fantastic, par for the course in this series. I would agree with any 8/10's out there although the quote from Marty's review on IGN sums it up perfectly for me: "Assassin’s Creed Unity is a game of impossible peaks and disappointing valleys"

Arno is my favourite assassin after Ezio, Elise is one of the best new characters in any game I have played in the past few years. Their relationship was fun to watch and didn't feel odd or tacked on. Overall I was very happy with my time and during the Christmas break I intend to attempt getting everything I missed.

yay I found Shay's outfit from a golden chest. Even though I don't own Rogue, I guess it doesn't matter.

YThb.png

This is probably my biggest gripe with the game. Running, climbing and combat all feel sluggish and janky.

You have to have an absurdly high initiate level, which is just bullshit. My level is 5. One of the requirements is level 13 (might be the Templar one, I'm not sure). Based on what I saw on the initiates site, you'd have to play Assassin's Creed games every waking hour of your life to hit that level O_O

NightMystic

Neo Member
Did you try to play another game to see if it's fine? Almost looks like a dying GPU.

I had a minor issue with Sunset Overdrive where the i had tiny black squares appearing during the cutscenes, it should be in my game clip library. Advanced Warfare and Halo MCC gave me no issues at all. Neither did The Walking Dead Season 2.

The Initiates and Nomad/Companion integration has real problems:

I had a level 7 initiates account from ACIV. When my wife started playing AC:U she got asked to create a initiates account, which she did and somehow was also level 7. When I resumed playing, the game asked me to create an initiates account again, I tried logging again and this time I had level 3 only. Some days after, my wife's initiates account somehow got downgraded to level 3 too. Every day I get like 9 notifications of the same initiates avatar being unlocked (Shao Jun), and the portal doesn't detect I have like 5 Assassin's Creed games tied to my U-play account, so I don't get more XP... What.a.mess.

Also, I supposedly unlocked two chests and a mission near Notre Dame in the Companion app, but only the mission seems accessible, the chests give me the usual "play the companion app to unlock" message. Geesh.

I think U-play, Initiates and even the Companion app got very confused by the fact both my wife and I play the same game and have profiles in the same console. ACIV had similar problems too...

Anyone else finding those issues?

Rogue was good and short. I'm glad I played it first.

My issue is that is doesn't seem like a $60 game. They took out a huge piece of Black Flag (the multiplayer), replaced it with nothing, and want to sell it for the same price. I went with GTA V, I'll get Rogue later on. I have Black Flag DLC to finish if I'm still itching for an AC game.

The Initiates and Nomad/Companion integration has real problems:

I had a level 7 initiates account from ACIV. When my wife started playing AC:U she got asked to create a initiates account, which she did and somehow was also level 7. When I resumed playing, the game asked me to create an initiates account again, I tried logging again and this time I had level 3 only. Some days after, my wife's initiates account somehow got downgraded to level 3 too. Every day I get like 9 notifications of the same initiates avatar being unlocked (Shao Jun), and the portal doesn't detect I have like 5 Assassin's Creed games tied to my U-play account, so I don't get more XP... What.a.mess.

Also, I supposedly unlocked two chests and a mission near Notre Dame in the Companion app, but only the mission seems accessible, the chests give me the usual "play the companion app to unlock" message. Geesh.

I think U-play, Initiates and even the Companion app got very confused by the fact both my wife and I play the same game and have profiles in the same console. ACIV had similar problems too...

Anyone else finding those issues?

when I had that problem with chests, I turned off my ps4 and phone(or whatever you have the app on), restart the ps4 first, go into the game, restart phone, open app, and then connect. It fixed it for me.

Initiates is just all fucked up

You have to have an absurdly high initiate level, which is just bullshit. My level is 5. One of the requirements is level 13 (might be the Templar one, I'm not sure). Based on what I saw on the initiates site, you'd have to play Assassin's Creed games every waking hour of your life to hit that level O_O

Where does it say what my level is? I'm assuming it isn't 23?
10807004_10204095777328178_283527697_n.jpg

I would appreciate if the site recognized I own all except Liberation though. It says I own not one in the series.

Where does it say what my level is? I'm assuming it isn't 23?

I would appreciate if the site recognized I own all except Liberation though. It says I own not one in the series.

yes, you are somehow level 23 lol. I have 100% syncd every AC game, minus liberation HD and it shows lvl 12 for me lol

Dahbomb

People have to be kidding themselves if they don't think this game is filled to the brim with glitches. I should start documenting and posting all the glitches I experience in this game on a regular basis.

The amount of glitches in this is enough to move it from a 8 rated game to a 7.

I'm Level 5 in Initiates, but I have no idea how. The site says I haven't played any previous AC game, but I've played almost all of them, so I don't know if Lv 5 is the default level or whether it is counting those games as played and just not showing it or what. Has anyone actually managed to get it to work? What level would you expect someone who's played all the mainline games to be at?

when I had that problem with chests, I turned off my ps4 and phone(or whatever you have the app on), restart the ps4 first, go into the game, restart phone, open app, and then connect. It fixed it for me.

Initiates is just all fucked up

Thanks, I'll try that. I don't think I'll play the companion app much longer, in any case. Now missions take forever and it is just boring. It is a shame for the exclusive content unlocked by it, but it is not worth the time it'd take to get all of them...

yes, you are somehow level 23 lol. I have 100% syncd every AC game, minus liberation HD and it shows lvl 12 for me lol

Welp, guess I should abuse that while it is absurdly high. It's not possibly tied to that Brotherhood Facebook game from ages ago, is it? That is the only way I can see it being higher than average. 23 isn't even listed as a level containing rewards on the site, hoo boy.

I'm Level 5 in Initiates, but I have no idea how. The site says I haven't played any previous AC game, but I've played almost all of them, so I don't know if Lv 5 is the default level or whether it is counting those games as played and just not showing it or what. Has anyone actually managed to get it to work? What level would you expect someone who's played all the mainline games to be at?

I'm level 5 as well. I own:

AC4: Black Flag
AC4: Freedom Cry
AC3
AC2: Revelations
AC2: Brotherhood
AC2
AC1

I'm not going to bother trying to increase my level. Just add this to the already massive pile of terrible ideas Ubisoft had with Unity....

Toa TAK

Banned
How short? :(
6 sequences, 4 memories each.
My issue is that is doesn't seem like a $60 game. They took out a huge piece of Black Flag (the multiplayer), replaced it with nothing, and want to sell it for the same price. I went with GTA V, I'll get Rogue later on. I have Black Flag DLC to finish if I'm still itching for an AC game.

Yeah, but the multiplayer for these games haven't been touched up since ACB. They added new modes, but it's still the same damn thing. They did a service by taking it out the most tacked-on component of these games. It's especially a blessing for achievement hunters.

I didn't get it for $60 either, but I agree that it feels more like an expansion. Certainly not a $60 game.

Welp, guess I should abuse that while it is absurdly high. It's not possibly tied to that Brotherhood Facebook game from ages ago, is it? That is the only way I can see it being higher than average. 23 isn't even listed as a level containing rewards on the site, hoo boy.

I would immediately go find the chest that contains Ezios outfit, in case it fixes itself lol

Yeah, but the multiplayer for these games haven't been touched up since ACB. They added new modes, but it's still the same damn thing. They did a service by taking it out the most tacked-on component of these games. It's especially a blessing for achievement hunters.

I didn't get it for $60 either, but I agree that it feels more like an expansion. Certainly not a $60 game.

I'm one of the weirdos who liked the multiplayer :-/

I watched the video yesterday, and he was playing with the pirate version. In fact, he has re-uploaded the video but now putting a white box in the upper left part of the screen so we can't see the name of the profile (it was "ali213", google it if you want)

I saw every single glitch he experienced, including flying through a wall and ending up in inside a building (no way out) on the PS4 version so its not exclusive to PC or pirated versions.

Anyone who says the game isn't buggy for them simply hasn't finished the game. It gets exponentially worse as you get closer to the end, and the last few sequences are just horrible with thousands of NPCs in multiple spots dragging your frame rate down to single digits, while you try to parkour around.

Fortunately none of these missions have any real challenging aspects, just walk-cutscene-walk-cutscene kind of stuff.

If you do experience the "jump and fall through the world" bug, and chances are you will at some point, I'd restart the game at least on consoles. Once you get hit by that bug it seems to persist in your session until you restart the game. I think at one point every single jump I was doing ended up with me in white Hades.

I'm level 1 on acinitiates even though I own every single AC game including liberation. I probably need to sync them or something but I already traded in my copy of Unity after beating it so just don't care.

Do we know the locations or is it random? I was thinking the same thing, I'll give it a shot after class either way.

if its the same for everyone, its one of these two chest. The one on the right is kind of hidden by the heist symbol. The other one is on the left by my mission marker

B2qj0skCAAEaYI4.jpg:large

Muffdraul

Is there some trick to getting Initiates to recognize that I've played and completed many AC games? Just over the last six weeks I replayed AC1, AC2, Bro, Rev, and AC3, and accessed Uplay from each of them. But Initiates seems to think Unity is my first AC ever.

TGO

probably a dumb question but how do you know what mission you are on?

Catdaddy

I'm only level 2 and own all the AC games, but it's only reporting ACU.

Uplay shows I have the games and the completion, but not feeding to Initiates. Per Ubi BB, looks like quite a few are having the same issues, and they are working to restore the missing information.

They said some of it may have to do with older initiate accounts, but I have no idea when I created the account.

Top Bottom