• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

Toa TAK

Banned
Just beat the game. I ended up enjoying it far more than I figured I would. But holy hell, the final fight was hot garbage. I don't understand how such frustrating game design makes it into the final product
I heard the final boss was the best in the series.
:S

Tonza

I am enjoying this much more than I thought I would given the reviews and backlash.
The game world is really lively and fun to run in. The combat is kinda bad though.

Carbonox

I'm up to Sequence 10 now and I'm really enjoying the story now. Arno and Elise are a great partnership, I think she's one of my favourite female characters in the series.

I'm taking a break from the story now that I've unlocked the final lockpicking skill and am starting to go round and do some more collectible hunting.

I heard the final boss was the best in the series.
:S

My initial thought was "No way", but after a bit of thought I'm struggling to even remember other AC final bosses. I'm honestly drawing a blank for 4, 3 and Revelations. Brotherhood was just that little scuffle with Cesare, right? 2 was the Pope Throwdown, and 1 was that dumb fight against all the Apple of Eden copies of the old dude. I guess Unity's final boss might be the best, but only because the standard is soooo abysmally low.

Anyway, got my Platinum Trophy. Such a long, frustrating experience. I do like these games, and as frustrating as I find playing them I've come to enjoy my yearly week of Assassin's Creeding. I'll never be able to make good on a promise to quit the series for good, but after this year's debacle Unity will definitely be the last AC game I buy on day one. I just wish they'd take a step back and realise how awful these games are to play. The parkour does not work, and the character controls are slow, sluggish and completely unenjoyable. The gorgeous city and the open mission design in Unity could have been so much better if Arno just controlled well, and was fun to play as. I don't want to struggle these slow, heavy assassins around any more.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Dunno if this will get any traction but since the NeoGAF club on PS4 seemingly is full I created a "EuroGAF" club [GAF2], not necessarily EU limited, I'm just based here.

Search for the tag if you want an invite. :)

Bebpo

Banned
As I clear up the 2nd half of the story & map, one thing that's sticking out is how TOTALLY different the co-op modes are from the rest of the game. You can definitely feel that they were made by a different studio.

The co-op missions are great in that they're mini-stories, quite lengthy and have a lot of challenging and fun stealth setups.

The co-op missions are bad because there are 9 MILLION GUARDS EVERY STEP, everyone kills you in 1-2 hits and the checkpoints are only at location changes. I'm guessing this was because if you have multiple teammates it makes all this easier so the challenge is upped, but damn, in single player it can get fucking HARD and you can start pretty far back from a checkpoint if you die. I'm a little worried that the final 4/5 star co-op missions are going to be brutally annoying to clear solo (since I've never been able to get public co-op games to work on my PC version).

Rest of the game is quite fun still, even 30+ hours in. Story definitely gets good at chapter 7, which is cool but considering it's only
chapters long, I wish they didn't wait until over half the game to start having likeable characters and a plotline.

The riddles are so satisfying when you solve them yourself without a walkthrough! Really like figuring them out based on getting up high and looking at the unique buildings.

Hit my first major bug tonight. There's a quest in the upper right where you need to duel five guys. I screwed up and lost against the first guy and for the rest of the night I could start the quest by talking to the initial NPC, but the next part with the green dots indicating the 5 duels wouldn't show and the duel guys wouldn't spawn. Hopefully it works next time I load the game up.

In-Famous

Hit my first major bug tonight. There's a quest in the upper right where you need to duel five guys. I screwed up and lost against the first guy and for the rest of the night I could start the quest by talking to the initial NPC, but the next part with the green dots indicating the 5 duels wouldn't show and the duel guys wouldn't spawn. Hopefully it works next time I load the game up.

I had that too when I first tried that quest, I got so confused because nothing happened after I spoke to the NPC and I thought I just have to randomly duel any red NPCs ¬_¬ lol

One thing I really miss from the AC2/Brotherhood era is the platforming challenges and Assassin Tombs. The only equivalent in Unity is the Helix Rifts, and they don't really compare (I really liked the mission where you chase Elise in the Montgolfier balloon, though). The AC parkour system can only really be said to work well when you're running through very carefully tailored platforming levels like those, and it feels like they never really put you to the test in this game.

SJRB

Gold Member
One thing I really miss from the AC2/Brotherhood era is the platforming challenges and Assassin Tombs. The only equivalent in Unity is the Helix Rifts, and they don't really compare (I really liked the mission where you chase Elise in the Montgolfier balloon, though). The AC parkour system can only really be said to work well when you're running through very carefully tailored platforming levels like those, and it feels like they never really put you to the test in this game.

With the many prominent landmarks in Paris I definately expected the Assassin Tomb equivalent to make a return.

I don't really miss them because they were mostly arbitrary platforming, but they were an interesting change of pace. I guess creating the interior assets was simply an impossible task, since a team of the devs literally spent a year to create the Notre Dame alone.

Bebpo

Banned
Well, the little platforming challenges to unlock the armor are kiiiiiinda like them...but yeah, not really. Tombs have been missing since forever so I'm not surprised. Although the AC3 forts were kind of tomb missions aka scripted platforming sequences.

Unity is soooo buggy. So besides the landmark markers that just say "landmark" which were probably placeholder for filling in actual data about the landmark, I just had a hotel del ~~~~ (forgot the name) database entry in the top right area near the social club in the upper right. There's even a social club mission to assassinate a guy there.

It's a location landmark that has a database entry...but there's no marker on the map for the entry, at least not in my game. smh!

Like a 1/3rd of what I play AC for is the database stuff because learning the history of unique buildings and climbing all over them is fascinating & fun. I'm glad AC:U has a ton of database entries as 3/4 kind of cut back. But kind of annoying when they're glitched!

Mogwai

Is Initiates still broken?

I logged in today and I can see that I have no AC games linked to my account, even though I have Unity, Freedom Cry and AC3. All games are registered on my Uplay account...

Toa TAK

Banned
Well... That's not saying much...
True.
i think that title still goes to the final boss of "The Tyranny of King Washington" expansion ^^
They did a good job with that. Simple, but polished nonetheless. It's my favorite after the Al Mulaim fight.
My initial thought was "No way", but after a bit of thought I'm struggling to even remember other AC final bosses. I'm honestly drawing a blank for 4, 3 and Revelations. Brotherhood was just that little scuffle with Cesare, right? 2 was the Pope Throwdown, and 1 was that dumb fight against all the Apple of Eden copies of the old dude. I guess Unity's final boss might be the best, but only because the standard is soooo abysmally low.

Cesare just had more health, and when you fought Rodrigo, you could just stand there throwing knives at him. =\

Anyways, on the last sequence now, so I'll come back with impressions on the finale.

Dazzler

Despite all the negative press, I'm really enjoying this game

The graphics are beautiful, the missions are interesting

Am currently on sequence 9, will finish this one then go on a collectable hunt

apowhungo

I didn't download a patch or go offline but it seems to be working a bit better than day 1 with stuttering, frame drops and pop in, but maybe ive just gotten used to it?

anyway, anyone doing co-op missions on XONE need decent support? i dont have a crew or whatever but im a 4 star assassin and have been playing with the biggest idiots... if anyone wants to team up add AaronPower and msg me that its for ACU co-op and we'll knock em out

LNBL

Already posted?

http://tidamz.tumblr.com/post/102797713555/aujourdhui-jai-visite-paris-2-fois-une-fois

tumblr_nf59mxA05V1qbnwwbo8_r1_1280.jpg

welp initiates went from level 7 back to level 1. have no idea what is going on with that thing

Is Initiates still broken?

I logged in today and I can see that I have no AC games linked to my account, even though I have Unity, Freedom Cry and AC3. All games are registered on my Uplay account...

Apparently they are having gateway issues with previously linked game data. Boot up Unity and all your data should sync. But at this time, for Unity ONLY. They are currently working on another update that will go out tonight to resync the legacy data.

Fingers Crossed. I need that Ezio unlock!

Kaswa101

Apparently they are having gateway issues with previously linked game data. Boot up Unity and all your data should sync. But at this time, for Unity ONLY. They are currently working on another update that will go out tonight to resync the legacy data.

Oh thank God. I thought it was just my profile lol. Thanks for the update.

Need dat Ezio and Connor swag.

Oh thank God. I thought it was just my profile lol. Thanks for the update.

Need dat Ezio and Connor swag.

He is the full post from Ubi Com Managers on their forums....

Hello all,

After Thursday's maintenance, we have identified the issue that was affecting Legacy Data (your previously played games' stats) from syncing with your account. While the maintenance was crucial in implementing fixes for this issue, we will be applying an additional fix this evening to address this further. We will break down exactly what this means for you below.

What is the issue?

There is an issue with the stats gateway that we have identified. As such, Legacy data still cannot be synced properly, but a fix that will be applied tonight should resolve this.

How do I get my Assassin's Creed Unity data to show up on my Initiates profile?

Your AC Unity data should show up after you connect to your initiates profile in-game. You may have to accept the prompt to link your Initiates account again when you attempt to access this from the in-game menu.

Why does my level only show Level 1?

After maintenance, you may experience that your Initiates level is only level 1. Please follow the instructions above to ensure your Uplay account is connected to your Initiates to populate your game data from Unity. As mentioned earlier, it may not populate your previous games' data until the fix tonight.

Why does my level only show Level 3?

You may experience that your Initiates level is only showing level 3 from your AC Unity data. You can increase this through the Initiates Accomplishments.

Why do I see some of my legacy data but not all?

All of the data related to your progress and completion of previous games' stories is retrieved from Uplay. If Uplay is working, but the stats gateway is not, you may only get experience points for story completion.

What about the Initiates accomplishments?

Accomplishments are live and as such, players can earn experience points from these by playing Unity.

What is Assassin Style?

Assassin Style should now be working. Based on statistics we accumulate from ACU and from the daily drills (coming soon) you complete in ACU, you will be given an Assassin Style. You will be able to tailor your Assassin Style by completing specific Accomplishments or Daily Drills when they are available.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Ok, game completed, I have a firm enough grasp on the plot now if anyone is confused about any aspect of the plot just ask me for an explanation. :D

Mogwai

Cool. Thanks for the info. I saw that it updated my Unity progress, the others not.

fernoca

At least the Initiates update allowed to redeem the code with the Arno figure to unlock the Todd McFarlane Master Assassin costume. Really cool.

At the same time, the Altair and Ezio figures-codes didn't worked, so...hopefully that will change with tonight's Initiate update. Though those only unlock uPlay points.

Ok, game completed, I have a firm enough grasp on the plot now if anyone is confused about any aspect of the plot.

I'm also going to be replaying it for 100%sync so I can fully retain everything. I have yet to play Rogue, but without spoiling just wondering if I'm right but
is the link between games The Sage? Or is the link knowing who killed Arno's dad?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I'm also going to be replaying it for 100%sync so I can fully retain everything. I have yet to play Rogue, but without spoiling just wondering if I'm right but
is the link between games The Sage? Or is the link knowing who killed Arno's dad?
Yes.

Matush

Enigmas are even better! :)
I already done 6 or 7 of them, but holy hell, some are pretty hard to figure out (I want to do them on my own).

Still not as good as Glyphs in AC II, but it's at least something to get your brain worked up on.

Toa TAK

Banned
Beat it, but I have yet to touch any of the side content. Glad to hear it's good this time around. It hasn't been since ACBrohood I think.

Huh?

Neo Member
I just beat sequence 8 and while I'm enjoying it a whole lot more than the hubbub surrounding the game suggested, but I'm really annoyed at the Sync Point mechanic. I don't have access to a PSN account for now so I couldn't play the Co-Op missions even if I wanted to(and I don't really want to, as I've heard playing online factors largely into the glitches and slowdown), and judging from how few main missions are in each sequence I know there's no way I'll be able to get all the skills I want by the end of the game. Really frustrating that they would put most of the points behind an online wall like that, and it's definitely one of the worst aspects of the game in my opinion. If they had some Sync Points cheat I'd probably use it out of sheer frustration.

Braag

I gotta say Unity's story missions are some of the best in the series. No eavesdropping and only a couple missions with tailing. The assassination missions especially were a lot of fun and there seemed to be more of them than in III or IV.

The new initiates site is crap. What happened to all the timeline/backstory stuff from the last site? They had detailed summaries of every game and event.

dex3108

The new initiates site is crap. What happened to all the timeline/backstory stuff from the last site? They had detailed summaries of every game and event.

It is basically stats page now. More/less useless and that is really sad. I was one of the first members in closed alpha and i saw every version of AC Initiates and this one is worst. AC Initiates was HUB for AC fans where we could track modern day story and expand our knowledge and that is now completely gone and replaced with Stats Page.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I just beat sequence 8 and while I'm enjoying it a whole lot more than the hubbub surrounding the game suggested, but I'm really annoyed at the Sync Point mechanic. I don't have access to a PSN account for now so I couldn't play the Co-Op missions even if I wanted to(and I don't really want to, as I've heard playing online factors largely into the glitches and slowdown), and judging from how few main missions are in each sequence I know there's no way I'll be able to get all the skills I want by the end of the game. Really frustrating that they would put most of the points behind an online wall like that, and it's definitely one of the worst aspects of the game in my opinion. If they had some Sync Points cheat I'd probably use it out of sheer frustration.

This isn't accurate, the game performs much the same connected as offline.

So I used the Helix points or whatever they are called (I somehow had 420 of them?) to buy the map that shows all the Murder Mysteries because I only had a few of them already on the map. I go and do all of them (lots of fun) but then it only shows 92% completion on the progress tracker. Any idea where another one would be? One wasn't a stupid pre-order bonus or something, was it?

Some times there are little, small things that just bug the hell out of me. Things that shouldn't be important, probably arn't important but I just can't stand it.

Doing the side quest for Nicolas Flamel's
hidden lab and the elixir of life. So I finish the quest string to finally find this lab that hasn't been opened in hundreds of years. What do I see once I open the door that hasn't been opened in centuries? I room full of lit candles. Fucking lit candle. And if any of you say "well, the animus lit those candles as part of the simulation" I will shove a phantom blade into your skull.

Gaz_RB

Some times there are little, small things that just bug the hell out of me. Things that shouldn't be important, probably arn't important but I just can't stand it.

Doing the side quest for Nicolas Flamel's
hidden lab and the elixir of life. So I finish the quest string to finally find this lab that hasn't been opened in hundreds of years. What do I see once I open the door that hasn't been opened in centuries? I room full of lit candles. Fucking lit candle. And if any of you say "well, the animus lit those candles as part of the simulation" I will shove a phantom blade into your skull.

Lol this pissed me off in so many things. Like in Skyrim you'd open some thousand year sealed tomb and there would be a shit ton of candles lit everywhere

Skux

It seems that my Initiates profile has reset and no longer recognizes that I've completed the legacy games. However, I did just get a boat load of accomplishments while I was fooling around in-game.

Same thing just happened to me. On the Ubi forums it says it may take a while for all your legacy data to be loaded.

D23

Enjoying the campaign than i ever anticipated but the combat is a little bit hard. I just got katana so ive been doing a little better. Should i focus on buying armor that boost my health??

RedAssedApe

Banned
By the way, how am I supposed to scare bullies? Cherry bombs maybe?

just take out your weapon and they'll start screaming

Enjoying the campaign than i ever anticipated but the combat is a little bit hard. I just got katana so ive been doing a little better. Should i focus on buying armor that boost my health??

just concentrate on getting the gold parries. you can parry even if you aren't looking at the guy attacking you (i.e. surrounded by multiple enemies) the only thing you can really get wrecked by are guns. also take note if the enemy is stronger than you (stars that show up). might want to just run away if there are a ton of them and you know some sniper has his gun trained on you. throw a smoke bomb and get better position.

Skux

I recommend it. The stealth bonuses don't really matter if you play stealthy anyway so you're better off getting health in case you get into a fight.

Huh?

Neo Member
This isn't accurate, the game performs much the same connected as offline.

Good to know, but you do need to be signed into PSN, right? I keep trying to get into the PSN Forgot Password page but it never loads for me.

I recommend it. The stealth bonuses don't really matter if you play stealthy anyway so you're better off getting health in case you get into a fight.

Is this true? I've been using some of the stealth boosts but I have wondered how much "takedown noise" and "High Profile Noise" really matters.

Top Bottom