• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

Muffdraul

So Initiates looks like this for everyone right, or is it just me?

It's been like this for me every single day since 12th November, both in-game and on the website.

That's how it looks for me. And I just replayed all of the console ACs within the last six weeks.

The coop missions are the best selection of missions they've ever done? Wow.

I think they're the worst I've ever seen from any AC game. Cramming 30 enemies into a couple of rooms just to accommodate 4 players is terrible game design. I have no idea how you're supposed to be able to do those sections stealthily.

The co-op missions are totally doable solo, you just need to use teamwork, as the mode implies. I can clear most 3-4 star ones on my own stealthily. Use your tools, don't just sneak around and stab.

For instance, two patrols intersected at a point where it was impossible for me to get down from the roof without being seen by either, but luckily there was a hay cart positioned slightly off to the side. Once their paths intersected I tossed down a smoke grenade, dove into the hay bale, popped out, stabbed them both and snuck off behind some pillars without raising any alarms. Just requires some set up.

Cherry bombs and line of sight are great for pulling guards to you as well, if in a crowded room.

Started doing some exploration with remote play and I'm enjoying it immensely. Didn't imagine this would work as well as Black Flag on the Vita but I'm having a very good time with it. (Controls aren't too bad either to be honest.) Game looks gorgeous on the OLED screen.

Is anyone doing the Nostradamus Riddles without a guide? It seems like they forgot to program in the green circles to point you towards the relevant parts of the map or something. Robert Langdon wouldn't be able to figure these out.

I think they'd all actually be doable without a guide if the game's Database wasn't missing a crucial feature: some way of knowing where the buildings are. I remember there was one clue about 'Robert's School', and I looked through the whole database for any mention of it and eventually found that it was the Sorbonne. But I was boned from there, because how am I supposed to know where the Sorbonne is? When you look at the Case Tracker for Murder Mysteries you can press the Square button to show a clue's location on the map, but for some unknowable reason you can't do it with buildings in the database.

I eventually found it in the game by looking it up on Google Maps, which is pretty cool, but oversights like those in the game's UI just drive home the point that Ubisoft really has to stop getting ten different studios to work on these games.

mujun

Is anyone doing the Nostradamus Riddles without a guide? It seems like they forgot to program in the green circles to point you towards the relevant parts of the map or something. Robert Langdon wouldn't be able to figure these out.

Yeah!

This is the same thing I posted in my impressions post a page or two back.

I'm all for people who want extra difficulty having that (put an option in menu) but personally I don't want to comb the game world waiting for my eagle vision to recharge over and over looking for some tiny object or mark.

A lot of stuff isn't well marked or explained.

Exile550

I've done a lot of stuff in initiates with black flag and others, no data showing up right now. Did I loose my previous level? Cuz that would suck big time.

The game is beautiful, therefore, Ubisoft, you have my permission to ship up to 3 games with faceless characters but and one with broken online at launch.

Initiates is broken for just about everyone. It says I'm level 5 despite there not being game data for any previous AC's (I've finished all of them). Ubi says they're working on it but its really annoying that a lot of stuff in Unity is locked behind Initiates and theres no way to access any of that now.

Tomorrow morning a new update will be pushed. 9AM EST.

SJRB

Gold Member
Solutions are not too far from where you start, so look for something that resembles what you read

Look for a woman at your home base (the Cafe Theatre), at the top of a flight of stairs.

There is a "dome" above you. Look on the roof of the Cafe Theatre.

You will also hear a chime when you are close to the solution. If you do, examine things more closely and use Eagle Vision liberally. You can also equip certain items to increase the range, duration, and cooldown reduction on Eagle Vision.

I couldn't even solve the first riddle, haha. I ran around the Cafe Théâtre looking for a statue of a woman near some stairs but even that was too much apparantly.

I suck at the riddles.

Just blew five lockpicks trying to unlock a door in one of the Co-op missions. It's inside one of the big mansions where the framerate is in slideshow territory 24/7, and it made the lockpicking minigame so laggy I couldn't do it.

Against my better judgment, I've been trying to get the Platinum Trophy in this, but the final stretch is just such a drag. Apparently I have to go and find all the Sync Points in each Co-op and Heist mission now, which means sitting here like a schmuck at my computer watching Youtube guides to see where the all are. I'm playing the missions solo so I don't hold up other players while I dawdle around tracking these things down, and it's just such a chore. Just when I thought I was done with the collectibles there turns out to be another whole set hidden in the multiplayer. Why do I do this to myself?

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
For anyone waiting for their Xbox one invite to be accepted to the club, I am sorry for the delay. I have been on a business trip and will return on Friday to accept all your requests. Sorry for the delay and I look forward to co-oping soon!

glaurung

Finally got the PS4 copy and played a bit last night. Completed sequence 2.

I think it mostly works. Also played two co-op missions, there was lag, but nothing dreadful.

I do have a problem with the companion app though. I installed it long before I got the game itself and I played some Nomad missions and did some of the glyph stuff. Once I synced it to the PS4 game, it broke. Most of my Nomad assassins are gone, my credits are gone and it looks like the reset was not thorough enough - I can no longer proceed with the missions. I am stuck in the location of the first combat tutorial mission and I cannot click CONTINUE any more, because the companion app detects that I have no level 3 assassins.

Is there a way to reset/desync the companion app altogether?

Mendax

So while i am waiting for patches i am trying to improve my combat skills. And i must say that combat is way harder than in previous AC games. This is how it looks when Low level Arno fights High level thugs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO9HSTkh8L8

P.S. Sorry for crappy video i have only Windows Movie Maker for editing.

combat skills dont seem like they need much improvement. lol @ all the flashbangs though.

You dont have the heavy attack yet? If so I recommend getting that first, I use it a whole lot as it is really good.

Also, try putting the audio in french and english subs on and see if you like that because those super-british accents are terrible for a game set in paris. wow.

dex3108

combat skills dont seem like they need much improvement. lol @ all the flashbangs though.

You dont have the heavy attack yet? If so I recommend getting that first, I use it a whole lot as it is really good.

Also, try putting the audio in french and english subs on and see if you like that because those super-british accents are terrible for a game set in paris. wow.

For now i am just learning enemy behaviours :D Combat is very similar to Witcher 2 combat. In ACU you can parry unlimited number of times and in W2 you can use magick :D

I like new combat system and with few tweaks and improvements could be great in future titles :D

Skux

The riddles are not that hard. Many of them directly name or reference a nearby landmark, which you can easily look up on your map by highlighting the various landmark icons. You only need a thesaurus for words you might not know, and a passing knowledge of mythological and religious references.

I am really enjoying the riddles and murder cases. Nice change of pace and flexes your brain rather than your fingers.

Braag

So while i am waiting for patches i am trying to improve my combat skills. And i must say that combat is way harder than in previous AC games. This is how it looks when Low level Arno fights High level thugs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO9HSTkh8L8

P.S. Sorry for crappy video i have only Windows Movie Maker for editing.

When you get heavy attacks it will help a whole lot. Enemies which are lv.3 or higher will block most of your attacks but they can't block the heavy attack.
Then just pump all the rest of the points into health because you're gonna need a lot of it.
The enemies are incredibly trigger happy in Unity and whip out their guns the instant you're even little too far away from them, they rarely miss (I've even been shot mid air while jumping off a building) and there's really no way get away from that situation except roll around and hope you wont get shot or try to break line of sight, but more often than not you're gonna get shot which takes a huge chunk from your health pool so you will need all the health you can get.

Gotta say, i know people were complaining about the new combat, but im loving it so far. I just got the Bec De Corbin, its so boss using a long weapon. All the animations are amazing. The variety in animations for weapons is crazy. So far ive used a rapier, staff, greatsword and a rifle and all of them have unique animations. So cool.

GeoGonzo

The enemies are incredibly trigger happy in Unity and whip out their guns the instant you're even little too far away from them, they rarely miss (I've even been shot mid air while jumping off a building) and there's really no way get away from that situation except roll around and hope you wont get shot or try to break line of sight, but more often than not you're gonna get shot which takes a huge chunk from your health pool so you will need all the health you can get.
This is super weird, I can't recall ever getting shot without it being my fault: you simply have to roll ONCE when the ranged icon blinks red and they will always miss, just like dodging any melee attack. High level officers also do this against you, making them invulnerable to quick shots.

Mendax

Gotta say, i know people were complaining about the new combat, but im loving it so far. I just got the Bec De Corbin, its so boss using a long weapon. All the animations are amazing. The variety in animations for weapons is crazy. So far ive used a rapier, staff, greatsword and a rifle and all of them have unique animations. So cool.

i switched to using a rifle as main weapon yesterday and I love the combat even more since then. Swinging the stock of the rifle around in broad arcs and bashing some poor soul's skull in as soon as he is knocked to the ground is so great. and it looks fantastic as well :D

Loakum

Banned
Initiates is broken for just about everyone. It says I'm level 5 despite there not being game data for any previous AC's (I've finished all of them). Ubi says they're working on it but its really annoying that a lot of stuff in Unity is locked behind Initiates and theres no way to access any of that now.

This. I've beaten every Assassin's Creed game with 100% for every thing! I've platinum the last 3 games, but yet Intitiates don't have them listed, and have my level back and forth between 7 and 5. It's also preventing me from opening up chests in ACU, that prevents me from getting 100% in this game.

Kabouter

AC Initiates mostly works well for me now, except for the fact that I apparently continue to add several copies of Assassin's Creed III to my collection every day. I must have hundreds at this point.

Braag

This is super weird, I can't recall ever getting shot without it being my fault: you simply have to roll ONCE when the ranged icon blinks red and they will always miss, just like dodging any melee attack. High level officers also do this against you, making them invulnerable to quick shots.

Yeah I usually roll too though I've noticed that once the trigger turns red you have to wait just a little moment before rolling or they will shoot you just after the roll is over.
Also while rushing enemies sometimes they will shoot you without the trigger turning red.
And if you're middle of a finishing move and someone aims at you there's no way to dodge it.
So yeah, bullets can definitely be dodged but there are times when you don't get the chance do so. And if you decide to run away from a group of enemies they pretty much go berserk with their guns trying to shoot while pursuing you.
Though it was definitely a lot easier near the beginning of the game, I'm doing the lv.4 and 5 co op missions at the moment and in almost each mission there's a whole bunch of riflemen on each rooftop and they will take put you down in an instant unless you carefully take them out. Too bad most of the randoms I play with don't seem to realize that so they're always down in need of reviving.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
AC Initiates mostly works well for me now, except for the fact that I apparently continue to add several copies of Assassin's Creed III to my collection every day. I must have hundreds at this point.

Still stuck at level 1 due to no past game data being recognized, frustrating since the old AC Initiates page used for Black Flag worked fine and synced all past games..

glaurung

I definitely have more ACIII copies on Initiates than you.

At the same time, my ACU and Rogue do not register on there at all. #gg

Kabouter

I definitely have more ACIII copies on Initiates than you.

At the same time, my ACU and Rogue do not register on there at all. #gg

Yeah, ACU doesn't register there for me either, but it says coming soon, so I'm guessing not supported for actually earning points yet or something?

Braag

For me it only shows Freedom Cry and AC4. It claims I don't own any other AC games even though I have them all linked to Uplay except Rogue.
Why lock some of the items behind stuff like Initiates or the companion app which keeps resetting all your data when they don't even function properly. By the time they fix these issues most people are all ready done with the game anyway.

Doc Morbid

Neo Member
According to Initiates, I've unlocked about a million Shao Jun avatars. None of the games have been added to my profile, though, the page just says I need to link them to my Uplay account. It seems to have given me points for completing them (according to the EXP breakdown) and I'm level 5 at the moment.

As for Unity itself, I really hate how almost all the best equipment is locked behind club competition which apparently doesn't even exist yet. Thanks lads.

Ferr986

Question from a noob thar never played any AC. How is this one for a newcomer? Especially stealthing. Frankly, I was just thinking on getting this game because wandering around Paris looks so cool, but Im terrible at stealth games.

Mendax

Question from a noob thar never played any AC. How is this one for a newcomer? Especially stealthing. Frankly, I was just thinking on getting this game because wandering around Paris looks so cool, but Im terrible at stealth games.

previous games do not have any stealth mechanics. This one does, but it's very basic. Hold L2 to go stealth mode and creep around, and press X near cover to hide. Also some silent kills and silent gadgets. Pretty cool though, especially in a coop heist and coordinating who to kill and when with a buddy :)

Ferr986

previous games do not have any stealth mechanics. This one does, but it's very basic. Hold L2 to go stealth mode and creep around, and press X near cover to hide. Also some silent kills and silent gadgets. Pretty cool though, especially in a coop heist and coordinating who to kill and when with a buddy :)

Thanks! Yeah a couple of friends of mine are getting the game tomorrow and dunno what to do, honestly. Dunno if its for me, even though the city exploration looks cool.

Peterthumpa

Actually, the L2 "enables" stealth mode, no need to hold the trigger.

Okay... my biggest gripe:

...These stupid "reminder" pop-ups that they continuously push on me. Such as "you have unspent points" or whatever reminder they decide to pop up on your screen despite you playing the game for over 6 hours... I think I get that I have unspent points Ubisoft, it's called SAVING them for a larger upgrade.

Now, these messages wouldn't be that annoying, except for the fact that they always pop up when I'm trying to READ. Solving a murder mystery and need to read the clue descriptions? Good luck with that, Ubisoft chooses this moment to remind you that you have upgrades to be had!

Like geez, fine, remind me about stuff, but put the dialogue box somewhere else on the screen so I can ignore it.

So Initiates looks like this for everyone right, or is it just me?

It's been like this for me every single day since 12th November, both in-game and on the website.

Same here. I can't even find a way to sync my other games liek it claims I can (?)

Pretty annoying since they decided to lock chests behind this app that doesn't even function.

I've played every AC game, and the fact that they launched this thing and I'm level 1 on there with no option to sync anything previous is mind boggling.

edit: and yes, all these games are synced through uPlay and show up in my uPlay timeline

Paganmoon

Still stuck at level 1 due to no past game data being recognized, frustrating since the old AC Initiates page used for Black Flag worked fine and synced all past games..

It recognizes my games, so I'm level 5, but doesn't have any completion data. Having more trouble with the companion app though, Nomad chests that are unlocked, won't open in-game, so I got assassin's stuck at them for 24 hours, had the app open while playing yesterday, and saw all the updates, new social clubs I purchased, new viewpoints synced and so on, open the app up today, and it's missing all the data from yesterday, still thinks I only have 8 viewpoints synched, missing the new social clubs, and the new unlocked puzzels.

Feels like they were trying to do way too much at the same time, and ended up doing most of them poorly.

K' Dash

It recognizes my games, so I'm level 5, but doesn't have any completion data. Having more trouble with the companion app though, Nomad chests that are unlocked, won't open in-game, so I got assassin's stuck at them for 24 hours, had the app open while playing yesterday, and saw all the updates, new social clubs I purchased, new viewpoints synced and so on, open the app up today, and it's missing all the data from yesterday, still thinks I only have 8 viewpoints synched, missing the new social clubs, and the new unlocked puzzels.

Feels like they were trying to do way too much at the same time, and ended up doing most of them poorly.

I've played all AC games and initiates does not recognize anything, this bothers me SO FUCKING MUCH, I think I'll just stop playing, focus on GTA and wait until Ubi patch this mess.

cackhyena

When you get heavy attacks it will help a whole lot. Enemies which are lv.3 or higher will block most of your attacks but they can't block the heavy attack.
Then just pump all the rest of the points into health because you're gonna need a lot of it.
Yeah, they can be annoyingly accurate. I haven't even bothered getting the heavy attack yet...maybe I should. But my tactic of sword for a bit and then double tapping lb to finish off with a gun works pretty well most of the time. It's a pretty damn satisfying combo.

I've played all AC games and initiates does not recognize anything, this bothers me SO FUCKING MUCH, I think I'll just stop playing, focus on GTA and wait until Ubi patch this mess.

This is exactly what I did and it's a sad situation. The game is actually really fun and it's by far the best looking game I've seen so far in a number of ways thanks to that PBR. But goddamn does this extra crap do my head in. The mobile phone app is frustrating as hell, the hidden object game could be kinda fun if it wasn't held back by press limits. Then we have the massive timers where you have to wait days and days to finish a mission just once, then do it two more times for the freaking sake of it. In a week I've unlocked 2 out of some almost 30 missions and I'm sick to death of it.

That's not even counting the initiates stuff which is of course broken as hell and a pain in the ass too. Ubisoft essentially helped me shelf this game by tacking on loads of extra crap and making it impossible for me to reach it.

Kazdane

On the topic of Initiates and Uplay I need to see what's up with my AC Director's Cut CD. I tried to add the game yesterday to my uplay account, but apparently the game doesn't require a CD Key in the first place to be installed and played, so it looks like the only way is buying the digital version...

glaurung

I've played a lot and I synced Initiates the first time around AC III or IV.

During AC IV they had this huge, elaborate daily mission system where you solved text-based puzzles and located specific locations all over the world map. It was an amazing idea, but the technical side was complete shit. They have since retired it and redesigned the Initiates system pretty much completely.

My Initiates page shows that I have level 9. Even that is less than it should be, because for some reason several game saves have not been detected correctly (e.g. Initiates says that I have never completed Revelations on PS3, which I most certainly did and I have the PSN trophies to prove it). It is a shameful system and I think I would be wrong to rely on it working, ever.

By the time the next year's AC rolls out, they'll probably redesign and break the system all over again.

Toa TAK

Banned

Same boat, I just tried to mess around with it earlier today.
That would be a fucking godsend. Between this and Destiny I've probably spent more of my life watching loading screens in the past month than sleeping and eating.

Haha, this is pretty accurate for me as well.

Say what you want about TMCC, but I've got no loading time issues when it comes to the campaign. And AC Rogue was great, too.

Alright, just got five more missions to replay and get the secondary objectives and then I'll have my most frustrating Platinum yet. I'm learning that the final cutscenes in every mission are unskippable, presumably because that 'Mission Complete/Continue/Rate This Mission' popup is hardcoded into the cutscene itself, which is just another in a long line of, "Ugh, why?"s I've uttered while playing this game.

Had a hell of a time trying to finish some of the Co-op missions today. I'm pretty sure the one called The Tournament is actually impossible to play solo, even though the game has no problem letting you start up a private session. At one point you have to run through an obstacle course collecting flags, and it's like a test designed specifically to show how awful and unresponsive the game's platforming controls are. I eventually grouped up with randoms, but then the scripting exploded during the next part of the mission. Enemies were non-reactive and unkillable for me, but were clearly damaging everyone I was playing with, and their icons would only show up on the minimap when I crouched, and I was reviving guys only to have them fall down again immediately. It was a mess.

Lizardus

Why is this allowed? The maps looks like this with some of the stuff already cleared.

iFi4Kx04waRG5.jpg

Top Bottom