• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa (Console) |OT| Kunos tries to console us.

Mascot

Whoah. I can't believe the broad spectrum of differing opinions on console AC in this thread. Some saying it runs like shit, others saying it's OK. From the videos I've seen it really does look rough (especially the godawful tearing), but are others having much better experiences with it?

danowat

Banned
I am probably a bit more forgiving than others, but apart from the tearing, it runs fine, not in anyway unplayable for me, the physics are sublime.

The lack of content, lacklustre career and inconsistent AI is more of an issue for me.

AI lap time comparison:
http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...unbalanced-too-difficult-vs-pc-version.35948/

The console version is harder than the PC version.

I wouldn't have problems going down to easy, if I can't keep up with the medium AI difficulty - no pride lost, I know when a lap was good and when I still have over 5 seconds to gain, BUT this copy+paste campaign where the gold-medal time trial challenges are super easy compared to even medium AI are just sad. The car selection for the earlier events is from years ago, before the dream packs released. Sad.

Yesterday I've seen the ISR video from Billy, which just had me shaking my head in despair.
https://youtu.be/Wwi4jn36jPI
He had no chance to keep up with the hard AI(and he is kinda good, not super-Alien good, but really good), because they were on much better cars and then he still won because on the last lap they all went into the pits completely without any need.
For street car races, where the cars are perform totally different, the difficulty of the event should determine in what car you are racing as well as how good the AI will be.

Also, I think it's good that they have a racing line (green=go,red=brake), but if you can't beat the AI on the easiest difficulty when you're following the line, it is alienating to people coming from Forza and GT willing to check this game out (by the way, I think the way GTS will handling the racing-line topic is pretty great, at least in theory).

Kunos needs to take lap time samples for every car-track-difficulty option. On PC it's the same, you never know what the right difficulty setting is, on some car-track combinations 95% is right for me, on others it's lower than 88%. RaceRoom for example has an automatic ai setting that uses an algorithm to compare your lap times against leaderboard times (could be tester times in AC) to guess the ai difficulty and then fine tunes the AI difficulty further while you are driving, so that your opponents are a tiny little bit slower than you, but if you're not doing well, you might lose positions. Maybe they should try that, can't be so hard to do.

Something else: I was thinking about buying Absolute Drift yesterday on PS4 and saw that the AC season pass is 30€ for red pack and japanese pack plus all Porsche DLC.
The thing is, the description said 30 cars and that doesn't add up. 21 porsches, 7 japanese and 6 red pack cars is not 30. Mistake? Bad translation? Was it "over 30 cars"? Weird.

danowat

Banned
The AI is just inconsistent.

Not only is it inconsistent between cars, I can beat the hardest difficulty with some cars, and not others, also, the AI is inconsistent between level, it suffers from the "Forza syndrome" of one car pegging it into the distance, and the rest of the field getting stretched out, meaning that you don't get good and close racing.

Someone on the AC forums did a test and found that the console AI is markedly faster than the same AI level on the PC.

Also, I have to concede that I will never get gold on most special events, some of them I can barely scrap bronze, some I can't get anywhere near bronze, the time requirement is bonkers high.

Also, the lack of leaderboards is bemusing, are there any on the PC?

We just need to wait for a patch as console version is few months behind pc version. personally i dont mind that events are hard, that just makes me want to race better and improve my driving, i dont need to have all golds as long as i am having fun and i am :).

I gave the career mode another go in the PC version yesterday. Not really spent much time with it. The first race I did was in an E30 M3 vs a bunch of E92 M3s. Needless to say, I got stomped. Way down on power.

Solal

I am very curious to see what eurogamer.net is going to give AC as Eurogamer.it gave it an 8... but with DF on the case, can they really give it a good score when the performance is so bad?

Really looking forwards to it.

As I said I would do yesterday, reinstalled PCars for a test.

Don't know if I remembered it wrong but the framerate isn't that bad right now I think, tested a rain race with 20+ cars on La Sarthe and the framerate wasn't terrible, not great but not "jesus this is garbage". Tried a dry race after and it was decent too, I might end up playing that instead.

danowat

Banned
As I said I would do yesterday, reinstalled PCars for a test.

Don't know if I remembered it wrong but the framerate isn't that bad right now I think, tested a rain race with 20+ cars on La Sarthe and the framerate wasn't terrible, not great but not "jesus this is garbage". Tried a dry race after and it was decent too, I might end up playing that instead.

I didn't have too much of a problem with it at launch, it's a much better game now than it was at launch though.

It's a great racing game though, not sure any game has come close to providing the same level of wheel to wheel racing as PCars has, even despite some issues.

I didn't have too much of a problem with it at launch, it's a much better game now than it was at launch though.

It's a great racing game though, not sure any game has come close to providing the same level of wheel to wheel racing as PCars has, even despite some issues.

PCars was the first time a game crashed my PS4. Even if I removed that, last year the framerate was terrible as far as I remember. Rain races were very close to 30fps (or at least they felt like that).

danowat

Banned
PCars was the first time a game crashed my PS4. Even if I removed that, last year the framerate was terrible as far as I remember. Rain races were very close to 30fps (or at least they felt like that).

My eyes must just have a frame rate interpolation filter on them! it just doesn't seem to bother me as much as some, that said, even JC3 was too shitty for me.

My eyes must just have a frame rate interpolation filter on them! it just doesn't seem to bother me as much as some, that said, even JC3 was too shitty for me.

My train of thought was, if I'm gonna play at this framerate I want at least some eye candy, so I'd rather play Driveclub instead. Apples and oranges if you compare the driving/handling, I know.

Jamesways

It's out in NA. I sunk an hour into this before work after putting the baby back down at 4:40 this morning. I just couldn't make it to midnight last night.

I must have similar eyes danowat, I was surprised. It's far from the "unplayable slideshow trash" as the fb comments led me to believe. I did notice some stuttering in cockpit view in corners, but it seems playable to me.
It was confirmed they're already working on a patch for some early issues, I have no doubt it'll get better with time as pCARS did (save the tire regression from one of the patches to be fixed later).

Not a great start though, the very first practice session I did had a CTD after getting ready to hit the track after adjusting settings.

So control presets, not full customization, ok. I usually like shifting with square and circle, I think that's the option most games use. Odd that this uses x and square.

Also, is there no way to move the seat position in car? I see the one FOV setting, is that the only option to move the seat?

I really like the look of the lighting engine, especially with the expanded palette.
And even just an hour spend with some of my favorite GT3s in the practice mode, the physics are simply amazing!

The car list is fine for me, it's got some of my go-to favorites for racers and road cars. I could spend weeks just lapping the Lotus 49. Hopefully we'll get some more tracks soon.

Oh and thank god for blanket warmers, what a great option to have.

edit-
My train of thought was, if I'm gonna play at this framerate I want at least some eye candy, so I'd rather play Driveclub instead. Apples and oranges if you compare the driving/handling, I know.
Did you know they're releasing new tracks soon? The VR version is getting some new track content and Rushy is making that available for the regular version as well.

edit-

Did you know they're releasing new tracks soon? The VR version is getting some new track content and Rushy is making that available for the regular version as well.

Yep I did, before the Neo was announced I even thought about getting the PSVR so I'd probably end up getting Driveclub VR, but after the Neo I'm skeptical and will be skipping both. I'd love to see DC at 60fps, but I won't pay 399 just for that game.

Hopefully the tracks end up fine.

danowat

Banned
I must have similar eyes danowat, I was surprised. It's far from the "unplayable slideshow trash" as the fb comments led me to believe. I did notice some stuttering in cockpit view in corners, but it seems playable to me.

I think we're probably just a bit longer in the tooth, and maybe a bit more forgiving!

Not a great start though, the very first practice session I did had a CTD after getting ready to hit the track after adjusting settings.

I haven't had any CTD's, but I did have one problem where the UI shrank and the screen started flickering, which meant I had to close the application.

So control presets, not full customization, ok. I usually like shifting with square and circle, I think that's the option most games use. Odd that this uses x and square.

Also, is there no way to move the seat position in car? I see the one FOV setting, is that the only option to move the seat?

Lack of control cofiguation is bizarre, there are a handful of presets, but quite why they didn't think people would want to customize it is beyond me.

No seat position change (PCars spoilt us) and the FOV is very limited on consoles.

Oh and thank god for blanket warmers, what a great option to have.

Man, why didn't PCars do this?!

terrible

Banned
The AI is just inconsistent.

Not only is it inconsistent between cars, I can beat the hardest difficulty with some cars, and not others, also, the AI is inconsistent between level, it suffers from the "Forza syndrome" of one car pegging it into the distance, and the rest of the field getting stretched out, meaning that you don't get good and close racing.

Someone on the AC forums did a test and found that the console AI is markedly faster than the same AI level on the PC.

Also, I have to concede that I will never get gold on most special events, some of them I can barely scrap bronze, some I can't get anywhere near bronze, the time requirement is bonkers high.

Also, the lack of leaderboards is bemusing, are there any on the PC?
The difference on PC is that in the career you don't really set the AI to Easy, Medium, Hard, Alien. You choose from 80% to 100% difficulty. Only in Special Events is there an Easy, Medium, etc option on PC like on console. It makes it a lot easier to balance things. I think Easy is the AI set to 88% so there's a whole extra 8% lower you can go on PC. I had no issue with that BMW race that seems unbeatable on console for example because I just lowered the difficulty completely lol.

edit: and no built-in leaderboards on PC no. You can add leaderboards via 3rd party mods though.

Jamesways

Yep I did, before the Neo was announced I even thought about getting the PSVR so I'd probably end up getting Driveclub VR, but after the Neo I'm skeptical and will be skipping both. I'd love to see DC at 60fps, but I won't pay 399 just for that game.

Hopefully the tracks end up fine.
And I can't justify a new 4K tv to take advantage of the new consoles yet...

I think we're probably just a bit longer in the tooth, and maybe a bit more forgiving!

I haven't had any CTD's, but I did have one problem where the UI shrank and the screen started flickering, which meant I had to close the application.

Lack of control cofiguation is bizarre, there are a handful of presets, but quite why they didn't think people would want to customize it is beyond me.

No seat position change (PCars spoilt us) and the FOV is very limited on consoles.

Man, why didn't PCars do this?!

I thought it would have more settings and options like pCARs, I'm surprised it doesn't. I mean, it's fine, but you're right, we're spoiled, pCARS has settings for everything under the sun. I thought for sure this would have look to apex or seat position.

I wonder if they'll patch the inconsistent difficulty for the career goals?

Obviously I need more time with it, but I already know it'll be a fine hot lap game for me.
"Race Pro of this gen" I can definitely see this fit that for me.

Here's the bottom line, with 2 girls under 3, I don't have a ton of time anymore. I spend most of my time in pCARS or MotoGP in practice modes playing with bike or car/track/time of day/weather combos or quick races/race weekends with various lap lengths.
I still have 3 careers in pCARS that I'm in the middle of but after the first season, racing the same set of tracks and conditions have left them sit.

So what I get out of a game is clearly different than more serious folks who want league racing or an in depth career. I'm happy everything's unlocked in this, pCARS, and for first time, MotoGP so I can jump in quick with any car/team on any track.

For a long unlock grind I have Real Racing 3...

Sounds rough and sad to hear, I owned the game on pc before I had a modern gpu so I was unable to play it until last christmas and really enjoyed the hours I sank into it.

It sucks that the console versions are suffering, I was playing on a core2duo from 2009 and when there was about 10+ cars on the track it would drop frames a little bit but by no means terrible, i'd expect modern consoles to do better then a super old dual core. I have a 950 so visually I had no issues with a lot of settings, it was mostly a cpu bottleneck for me.

I think the small Xbox update was about getting the online multiplayer framerate wise to where single player is. There was a voice chat performance issue somehow.

I mean, on PC, I keep it at 10 opponents with GTX 970 and a 3.4GHz Core i7, to not give the game a chance to drop below 60 ever. Was expecting the game to not run at 60 with 16 cars. Wasn't expecting it to run under 40 though, jeez.

Wish they would have shown how it runs while hotlapping too, because that's what got the game its fanbase on PC. Nobody cared about career or racing against AI. It's the driving feel and easy modability, it also looks decent compared to the former modder-favorit rFactor.
Guess I should be happy that a small game like this got the digital foundry treatment at all.

Edit:
Xbox only update then?
Xbox got a performance update for MP, PC got an eDiff-update. No PS4 update.

Not worth it then? :(

I think Kunos will give this game a lot of support even if the sales are low. Maybe just keep it on your list and look ask back in a few months if it got better??

There is a friends leaderboard built in to the HUD when racing. No other online leaderboards at all on PC.

Proper leaderboards are only via mods like RSR.

We could do GAF internal leaderboard challenges like we did with pCARS and Forza, just with screenshot posting or video proof. Not sure if PC guys should be included though (it's really easy to cheat!).

By the way, I did a 1:49.2 in the Tatuus Formula Abarth @Mugello when I tried it for half an hour or so the day before yesterday - very close to your time (but I never drive that track or car, I could still go a little faster). Danowat and Terrible are also similarly fast as I am (meaning slow ;). Could be fun then... when we're all so close. We should definitely wait with that for 1-2 weeks though until people got a chance to drive it some more.

LilJoka

I think Kunos will give this game a lot of support even if the sales are low. Maybe just keep it on your list and look ask back in a few months if it got better??

We could do GAF internal leaderboard challenges like we did with pCARS and Forza, just with screenshot posting or video proof. Not sure if PC guys should be included though (it's really easy to cheat!).

By the way, I did a 1:49.2 in the Tatuus Formula Abarth @Mugello when I tried it for half an hour or so the day before yesterday - very close to your time (but I never drive that track or car, I could still go a little faster). Danowat and Terrible are also similarly fast as I am (meaning slow ;). Could be fun then... when we're all so close. We should definitely wait with that for 1-2 weeks though until people got a chance to drive it some more.

This game would be killer with a rivals mode like Forza.

cooldawn

I am probably a bit more forgiving than others, but apart from the tearing, it runs fine, not in anyway unplayable for me, the physics are sublime.

The lack of content, lacklustre career and inconsistent AI is more of an issue for me.
Same. I can manage the frames quite easily so it's not really an issue and I never buy a racing game for a career mode.

Since I was so upbeat about this game last week I've started to see the bad AI habits. I still think it can be mitigated to a degree by anticipating and positioning yourself but there are instances where the AI will tap you during a fast corner and wipe you out. It's annoying but it doesn't happen all the time. So yeah, inconsistent then.

My biggest issue, by far, is the low speed physics and for clarity, the only assist I use is ABS.

So I'm using a pad and thought the default setting were OK. Then I tried these settings...
Steering sensitivity 10%
Steering speed 0%
Steering deadzone 5%
Steering filter 30%
Steering gamma 200%
...and they seemed fine too.

However, a slight touch left or right on the stick means the car want's to spin out. Honestly, it feels like I'm racing in wet weather conditions all the time. The back wants to step-out and then snap-back again. I've got no chance. Even in a spin the tyres seem unable to grip; I'd expect tyres to suddenly grip the tarmac and halt a spin but, for some reason, it's progressive. Even the grass seems wet and the physics are completely off in gravel where it's possible to induce a spin really easily.

I just don't understand it at all. It's not right. I can only put it down to one of two things, either:
- the steering is way too quick (even when it's set as above the human anatomy looks ridiculous in cockpit view)
- the sense of speed is off

Over the weekend I watched the BTCC at Rockingham and those cars, under dry conditions, were aggressively taking fast left-handers, kerbs included, without a hitch and tyres gripped to halt a spin. I simply can't replicate that in Assetto Corsa. It sounds pathetic, right, but this is the only racing game I have ever played with this issue and it's origin me nuts.

Right now I'm not convinced and it sucks to feel like this but I still like playing the damn thing...

...so I'll give this a cheeky crack.

I was scratching my head to find those custom controls. Thought I was going mad.

terrible

Banned
Your low speed spin-out problems will be reduced dramatically if you put stability control on. I'd leave it off if you have a wheel but with a controller it's a good idea to try it out.

shandy706

Wow the framerate on both consoles is awful. That DF video is crazy.

Also...JUST 10 cars and it can't do what a game like Forza 6 does with pouring rain and/or 24 cars at 60fps....geeze

LilJoka

Increase gamma on the pad to have more control with small analogue stick movements. The higher the gamma, the more input it takes for the wheel to move.

Increase speed sensitivity such that at high speeds you have less steering available, enough not to encounter understeer.

Any console folk take my PC pad settings, multiply by 100 and try?

STEER_GAMMA=350%
STEER_FILTER=75%
SPEED_SENSITIVITY=20%
STEER_DEADZONE=20%
STEER_SPEED=20%

My biggest issue, by far, is the low speed physics and for clarity, the only assist I use is ABS.

So I'm using a pad and thought the default setting were OK. Then I tried these settings...

...and they seemed fine too.

However, a slight touch left or right on the stick means the car want's to spin out. Honestly, it feels like I'm racing in wet weather conditions all the time. The back wants to step-out and then snap-back again. I've got no chance. Even in a spin the tyres seem unable to grip; I'd expect tyres to suddenly grip the tarmac and halt a spin but, for some reason, it's progressive. Even the grass seems wet and the physics are completely off in gravel where it's possible to induce a spin really easily.

This snap-back is an effect you have much more on slick tires and hard race suspensions. Coming from a Forza or GT, it feels absolutely wrong, I think we've all been there and doubted how little "over the limit" you get away with in these more hardcore sims on slicks. The effect is accurate though, slick tires can take much higher lateral (and longitudinal too of course) forces, but the maximum slip-angle is lower and the fall-off, if you're exceeding the peak, is much harsher.
Post1.1Figure5.jpg

If you see a RWD car in real life with spinning tires that suddenly grip, that's only due to higher vertical load. For that to happen, you need to wait with putting the hammer down until you sense the weight of your car going to the rear and - because of the suspension softness, delaying force and storing momentum - will continue to, even if you break the weight-shift momentum build-up by spinning your tires (edit: which would level-out/balance/neutralize the car again or even make it front heavy again, which would increase the spinning out if they are still turned in).

I got two not great tips here: a) try the "cheat" stability management like terrible said, so you can have fun for now and get back to driving without stability management later when you adjusted to the driving model (I think TEH-TJ is doing the same), b) softer rear suspension and a little toe-in to help weight shifting and more self-straightening when you're accelerating hard out of a corner.

If I completely misunderstood you, then sorry. Maybe a video could help.

One last thing: If you're in a race car, I highly recommend to use the factory assists. Just ABS without TC in WTCC cars is correct though. But if you're going to GT3 or so, use the traction control and select the degree of intervention from the cockpit (that is a thing in the console version, right? You can select different degrees of traction control in race- and supercars, right? In some race cars you can even change the ABS strength in AC on PC). Most here know, that I like Forza, so I'm free to say this: AC is not Forza where traction control generally sucks and slows you down. On some TC settings you can even drift extremely well in AC.

TJP

Here it is boys and girls, DF tech analysis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGciWxkSmFU
That is very sad to watch; perhaps AC locked at 30fps was a better alternative than a frame rate that fluctuates so much and never hits 60fps when there are more than a few AI cars on screen.

Perhaps Kunos will patch in better performance over time.

I mean, on PC, I keep it at 10 opponents with GTX 970 and a 3.4GHz Core i7, to not give the game a chance to drop below 60 ever.
Really? What are your graphical settings? Do you set everything to maximum levels?

FWIW, I have zero issues running AC at it's default graphical/post processing settings except for high mirror quality, 16XAF and 4XAA at well over 60fps (single screen @ 1080P) with 23 AI.

cooldawn

Your low speed spin-out problems will be reduced dramatically if you put stability control on. I'd leave it off if you have a wheel but with a controller it's a good idea to try it out.
Awwww, I've never used it before because I really love the battle of keeping a car on the straight and narrow in anger. I don't want to have to start now : (

This snap-back is an effect you have much more on slick tires and hard race suspensions. Coming from a Forza or GT, it feels absolutely wrong, I think we've all been there and doubted how little "over the limit" you get away with in these more hardcore sims on slicks. The effect is accurate though, slick tires can take much higher lateral (and longitudinal too of course) forces, but the maximum slip-angle is lower and the fall-off, if you're exceeding the peak, is much harsher.

If you see a RWD car in real life with spinning tires that suddenly grip, that's only due to higher vertical load. For that to happen, you need to wait with putting the hammer down until you sense the weight of your car going to the rear and - because of the suspension softness, delaying force and storing momentum - will continue to, even if you break the weight-shift momentum build-up by spinning your tires (edit: which would level-out/balance/neutralize the car again or even make it front heavy again, which would increase the spinning out if they are still turned in).

I got two not great tips here: a) try the "cheat" stability management like terrible said, so you can have fun for now and get back to driving without stability management later when you adjusted to the driving model (I think TEH-TJ is doing the same), b) softer rear suspension and a little toe-in to help weight shifting and more self-straightening when you're accelerating hard out of a corner.

If I completely misunderstood you, then sorry. Maybe a video could help.

One last thing: If you're in a race car, I highly recommend to use the factory assists. Just ABS without TC in WTCC cars is correct though. But if you're going to GT3 or so, use the traction control and select the degree of intervention from the cockpit (that is a thing in the console version, right? You can select different degrees of traction control in race- and supercars, right? In some race cars you can even change the ABS strength in AC on PC). Most here know, that I like Forza, so I'm free to say this: AC is not Forza where traction control generally sucks and slows you down. On some TC settings you can even drift extremely well in AC.
Good job with the response. I really appreciate it but yeah, I completely get what you are saying. Although I'm not a racing driver I'm an avid follower of motorsports so I have a basic mechanical understanding of the loads cars and tyres may be forced to reckon with. I'm not a physics professor though! Ha. To my mind a car will certainly snap with stiffer suspension i.e. rigidity helps stability but the tolerances are much finer before they give way.

I've always been a progressive type of player that can regulate power and steering to manipulate the characteristics of a car so it's just annoying the same techniques seem out of touch here. I'm not just talking Gran Turismo and Forza...but also Ferrari Challenge, Test Drive Ferrari, Race Pro and Project CARS to name a few. Basically, I've played all the big and best console racing games so I should be able to modulate my way through this.

Funnily enough I've managed to hurtle a McLaren MP4-12C GT3 around the Nurburgring without any issues whatsoever. I've also just tried that Tatuus Formula Abarth around Mugello and got a 1:49.134. Again, no issues (still time to be shaved off there).

The Alfa Romeo 155Ti is a bugger though and I don't feel accelerating through a shallow corner should result in the loss of grip to the point it's not correctable. That's when the physics model feels like wet weather conditions because the car suddenly snaps and it can't be corrected.

So, I'm also considering how the controls play a major part of my experience. After reading this...
Increase gamma on the pad to have more control with small analogue stick movements. The higher the gamma, the more input it takes for the wheel to move.

Increase speed sensitivity such that at high speeds you have less steering available, enough not to encounter understeer.

Any console folk take my PC pad settings, multiply by 100 and try?

STEER_GAMMA=350%
STEER_FILTER=75%
SPEED_SENSITIVITY=20%
STEER_DEADZONE=20%
STEER_SPEED=20%
...I have a slightly better understanding of something, I thought:
- 'Steering Sensitivity' related steering wheel turn rate to car speed i.e. like Gran Turismo, the faster you travel the more progressive steering becomes
- 'Steering Speed' is a baseline global value of how quick a steering wheel is turned, affected by speed
- 'Steering Deadzone' is how far you push a thumb-stick before the car responds
- 'Steering Filter' - no idea on this one...
- 'Steering Gamma' - ...nor this one!

Now, to me, Gamma seems to be DaedZone! That might help a lot. I'd prefer to run the risk of not inducing a spin than having to correct a spin. That would suit my progressive driving style more.

So, I'm also considering how the controls play a major part of my experience. After reading this...

...I have a slightly better understanding of something, I thought:
- 'Steering Sensitivity' related steering wheel turn rate to car speed i.e. like Gran Turismo, the faster you travel the more progressive steering becomes
- 'Steering Speed' is a baseline global value of how quick a steering wheel is turned, affected by speed
- 'Steering Deadzone' is how far you push a thumb-stick before the car responds
- 'Steering Filter' - no idea on this one...
- 'Steering Gamma' - ...nor this one!

Now, to me, Gamma seems to be DaedZone! That might help a lot. I'd prefer to run the risk of not inducing a spin than having to correct a spin. That would suit my progressive driving style more.

- sensitivity is turn-rate or input smoothing over time.
- speed is how many degrees a full left/right on the stick will translate to on the cars steering wheel relative to the speed it is going at. (because at 160mph you never would turn a real steering wheel 450 degrees in one direction, the maximum stick input will translate to only a few degrees of turn in)
- deadzone you got right
- filter is... imagine your x inputs on the stick on a timeline-graph, imagine movingvthe stick fully to the right, then fully to the left. The graph will look scrawly and sharp-edgy. filter smoothes that graph like a low-pass filter does audio until it would look like a smooth sinus or sharp triangle. (lower values are probanly more filtering, I think). Smooth is fast, but too smooth and all your fast stick movements will drowned out like this.
- gamma is a gamma power-law function:
it translates your input into a signal between 0 and 1 to the power of gamma. So moving the stick halfway at a gamma of 300% would lead to an output signal of 0.5^3=0,125. Meaning, higher gamma leads to little stick movement does almost nothing, gamma 1(100%) is direct translation, and gamma close to zero leads to even small movements of the stick out of the deadzone will lead to a lot of turn-in.

If I got it wrong, please correct me, everyone. yi love to learn.

edit: my sensitivity and speed explanations can't be right if dan has 0% speed_steer... can they??? No... but the other stuff should be right. Also, sorry for all the typos, I'm the worst at typing on a phone or pad.

nasanu

Banned
Wow the framerate on both consoles is awful. That DF video is crazy.

Also...JUST 10 cars and it can't do what a game like Forza 6 does with pouring rain and/or 24 cars at 60fps....geeze

People will says it's because of ACs physics, but really it's because of the code. Physics just aren't as demanding as people think and even with 24 cars the game only uses a max of 60% (sits at around 45% most of the time) of my 2012 i5 CPU at 60fps. And that is running windows and downloading torrents and all sorts of things in the background. AC is so light on physics they are planning to bump it up to 500hz (running the physics engine 500 times per second up from the current 300, by comparison something like GT5 ran 1000 times per second, AC is on the low end of frequency) increasing CPU usage by 60%. On console it's clearly wasting most of the power.

They said they hired one guy who know about consoles... Id say they need an expert in CPU threading. They said in the steam threading was a problem on console but they sorted it. Clearly not.

Bandit1

Just had enough time to make 2 laps at Nurburgring in the E30 M3 and I did terrible! I was starting to get a feel for it the second lap though. Very challenging. When I have more time I might try to adjust some of the controller settings being explained above. I did notice a little screen tearing, but I didn't notice anything with the framerate (and 30 fps never bothered me anyway)

danowat

Banned
Beware of changing the gamma, it's broken on consoles and leads to extremely sensitive steering.

I am still tweaking, there are similar snap back and low speed grip issues that pcars has with the pad, I just think it's simply to do with the fact that the way you can steer with a pad is so fast and unrealistic in a sim that it causes the front tyres to lose grip so fast that it causes them to do weird things.

Pad driving needs some kind of steering assist, but then it wouldn't be a sim.....

As for the DF video, yeah, it's not great, but even when watching it the pictures don't seem to match the words, people say, this is terrible, but I watch the video and play the game and think this is fine!

Jamesways

As for the DF video, yeah, it's not great, but even when watching it the pictures don't seem to match the words, people say, this is terrible, but I watch the video and play the game and think this is fine!
What's really bugging me tonight is the stuttering of the hands mid turn. It's really distracting sometimes.

danowat

Banned
What's really bugging me tonight is the stuttering of the hands mid turn. It's really distracting sometimes.
I just use the dash view, not the cockpit view.

And no, you can't remove hands and wheel from cockpit.

Edit: I also think the deadzone is broken on console as well as the gamma setting.

Edit2: modified settings

Speed sensitivity : 25
Steering speed : 11
Steering deadzone: 12
Steering filter: 38
Steering gamma : 180

Beware of changing the gamma, it's broken on consoles and leads to extremely sensitive steering.

I am still tweaking, there are similar snap back and low speed grip issues that pcars has with the pad, I just think it's simply to do with the fact that the way you can steer with a pad is so fast and unrealistic in a sim that it causes the front tyres to lose grip so fast that it causes them to do weird things.

Pad driving needs some kind of steering assist, but then it wouldn't be a sim.....

I dont feel this problems with the steering wheel but with the controller its different at low speed. I wouldnt say that its physics problem more that its pad problem as you stated. This behaviouris same as in pcars when i am driving with DS4.

Top Bottom