• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa (Console) |OT| Kunos tries to console us.

Mascot

There's no way to say this tactfully, but there seems to be a lot of overtly sensible people in this thread giving AC a free pass regarding its many performance issues and bare-bones content, almost turning a blind eye to its many deficiencies. A lot of other games wouldn't get this treatment. Is it because Kunos is a small and passionate team, or is it because the physics (if not much else) really shine?

Makikou

There's no way to say this tactfully, but there seems to be a lot of overtly sensible people in this thread giving AC a free pass regarding its many performance issues and bare-bones content, almost turning a blind eye to its many deficiencies. A lot of other games wouldn't get this treatment. Is it because Kunos is a small and passionate team, or is it because the physics (if not much else) really shine?

Because on consoles, there is not much competition. pCARS and AC.

On PC you also have iRacing, RRRE and Automobilista for example..

danowat

Banned
I'm quite aware of the deficiencies and shortcomings, but despite them I enjoy playing it, just like I enjoy pcars despite some deficiencies.

What should someone do in this case? Shout the short comings from the rooftops? Plenty of people are already doing that, I don't need to add to the chorus.

I'll just enjoy it for what it is, hopefully it will improve, if not I'll get what I can out of it, and ditch it, it's a 30 quid piece of software, I'm not going to spit too much vinegar over it.

Physics and driving wise there is nothing like it on console, the rest of it falls quite a way short of pcars.

It's not a free pass imho. We seen what SMS did to pCars with updates. Yes there are fps issues on PS4, and career sucks and multiplayer still doesn't have private lobbies (if it ever will), there aren't many options to tweak the ffb but the physics makes up for it (i just dialled down ffb and I was all set to go, while in pcars it's setting ffb for each car and I spend more time tweaking ffb then playing actual game as we can't just save Jack's setting as it's possible on PC).
It hard to expect the meaningful career for a small team. My view of career is Forza 2 or GT4 career, but with limited amount of cars and no customisation it's impossible to get that kind of career.
This game should have much more events imho, as they are fun and hard at the same time.
Yesterday I tried, again, the first event with bmw m3 drift and improved my time from 1:25:5 to 1:24:7 and there is still lot of room to improve (will I even go down to 1:23, i don't think so but i'll keep pushing). Did i only get silver, yes but it was a phenomenal experience shaving of those tenths of seconds, much better then what I experienced in pCars. Learning the limits of the car (especially road cars) with this kind of physics is awesome and put a smile on my face.

I am looking forward to Porsche pack to drive them with AC physics.

We'll see what future holds for Kunos and AC on consoles and hopefully they will continue to support AC on consoles (even including VR), but I am glad that they did release AC.

Just my 2 cents

danowat

Banned
Is there any chance someone with the PC version could do something?

The flavour text for the step and stage models that lists what upgrades they've had and how they differ from the factory models are missing on the console versions, if someone could do screengrabs of each description I could add them to the OP.

Sickbean

Given the current state of both games on PS4, do I buy this or PCars?

I had PCars on PC for a while and loved it, but no longer have a PC.

danowat

Banned

Even though I enjoy it, I think it is hard to recommend this unless you are into serious sims, and are interested in hotlapping.

PCars is the better 'game'.

Sickbean

Even though I enjoy it, I think it is hard to recommend this unless you are into serious sims, and are interested in hotlapping.

PCars is the better 'game'.

Honestly my favourite part about PCars was genuinely exciting battles with the AI in GT3 cars.

For me it's the feel and car behavior, I could lap brands hatch at shopping speed in a giulietta in AC with the graphics at the lowest setting and no AI and I could have fun, the cars (and FFB are amzing). Edit: On PC look how rF2 and Automobilista LOOK. People there don't care too much about graphics, if Kunos turned the graphics down on console like that the game would run perfectly with 16 cars. It's not just the performance, it's the performance at settings that console gamers expect. Even though rF2 performs worse than pCARS when you relate the performance to eye candy, you would have more people vocal about how good rF2 is than about pCARS on PC, pretty sure about that.

@terrible: What FFB options are missing? I drive with standard plus 20% rack, I think. Is the per-car master FFB value missing????

Is there any chance someone with the PC version could do something?

The flavour text for the step and stage models that lists what upgrades they've had and how they differ from the factory models are missing on the console versions, if someone could do screengrabs of each description I could add them to the OP.
I think there are LOT of those. You want the description and new hp numbers, right? I think, I can automate the extraction, can I change the vehicle section and add a DLC subtitle, too?

danowat

Banned
I think there are LOT of those. You want the description and new hp numbers, right? I think, I can automate the extraction, can I change the vehicle section and add a DLC subtitle, too?

Yeah, there is quite a few, it's odd that they are removed, maybe people aren't as interested as me in the information, but I would have liked to have known the difference between, for example, the BMW Z4, and the Z4 Step1.

If you love the physics, you're probably going to get a good 100hrs+ out of the game. It's kinda hard to complain then. I do find it disappointing though how good physics seems to have to be accompanied with bad visuals and general jankyness.

terrible

Banned
@terrible: What FFB options are missing? I drive with standard plus 20% rack, I think. Is the per-car master FFB value missing???

I double checked and I was surprised to see that the only thing that actually seems to be missing is the filter option which I have set to 0 on PC anyway. I was wrong. This just makes it even more confusing as to why the FFB feels so different. Maybe it's down to the PC Thrustmaster control panel settings obviously not carrying over to PS4.

During normal play it feels acceptable (though way different, too much damper etc based on my preference) but when drifting the wheel shakes wildly side to side for no reason and I can't find a setting where that stops. It makes it so I can't let the wheel self-align, I have to man-handle it myself which makes drifting way more work than it should be. On PC it feels fantastic and there are no such issues.

I did look at a few videos of other people playing on console and drifting and they don't seem to have the wild wheel shaking so I don't really know what's going on. Maybe it's a bug?

Yeah, there is quite a few, it's odd that they are removed, maybe people aren't as interested as me in the information, but I would have liked to have known the difference between, for example, the BMW Z4, and the Z4 Step1.

Yeah there are a ton and you have to scroll down a few times to catch all the text for each car. That'd be a lot of screenshots lol.

Mascot

I'm quite aware of the deficiencies and shortcomings, but despite them I enjoy playing it, just like I enjoy pcars despite some deficiencies.

What should someone do in this case? Shout the short comings from the rooftops? Plenty of people are already doing that, I don't need to add to the chorus.

I'll just enjoy it for what it is, hopefully it will improve, if not I'll get what I can out of it, and ditch it, it's a 30 quid piece of software, I'm not going to spit too much vinegar over it.

Physics and driving wise there is nothing like it on console, the rest of it falls quite a way short of pcars.

I hear you. I had so much fun with pCARS that I was similarly able to ignore its many shortcomings. Its structure was what I'd been waiting in vain for from Forza and GT for the past decade or more so I did end up as a bit of a pCARS apologist during the patching process. Now that it's been abandoned I'm not so forgiving, but it still fills a huge void on consoles. I guess I'm a bit bored by it now and can't seem to find the inclination to play any more.

The latest Sony wheel fuckage, delays to GTS, poor performance and compromises in console car sims in general is pushing me harder than ever towards PC gaming though. I'm just about fed up with shitty frame rates, tearing and poor resolutions. A totally unexpected fat tax refund from 2013(!) landed today (god bless you, my accountant) so I'm starting to think... what the fuck. Need to sleep on it before I do something silly..!

Jamesways

There's no way to say this tactfully, but there seems to be a lot of overtly sensible people in this thread giving AC a free pass regarding its many performance issues and bare-bones content, almost turning a blind eye to its many deficiencies.

Why thank you!
"You all crazy for loving this seemingly broken ass game. Why?"

After putting 4 hours in last night, I ended up with some very mixed emotions. I'm really trying to love this game. I want to love this game. But there's so many little things that just leave you scratching your head regarding design decisions. I can't help but feel disappointed but I'm going to still try to enjoy what if offers.
Most of the performance issues I can honestly deal with for now, I have hopes it'll get patched and improve overall. Reading online it seems the consoles are a bit behind compared to PC updates and Stefano stated the goal is sync them in time.

I'm not going to harp on the same issues people have been talking about for pages, as danowat said, they're well known by now.
Here are a few different complaints-
-I wish there was more options and settings in general, especially more visual options like in pCARS.
-I wish I could turn off the virtual mirror.
-I wish I could turn off the damn red arrow indicators for cars around you (nothing like breaking immersion and reminding you you're playing a game with no HUD on).
-I really dislike the spastic jankiness of the hands turning the wheel.
-I wish I could adjust FOV on the fly, similar to Forza, some cars have closer FOV than others.
-The penalty system seems as inconsistent as pCARS, where touching a blade of grass counts as cutting the track at times.
-There's no ability to rotate the camera around the car in replays to use as a photo mode.

Edit 2- Add mixing classes to my gripes. WHY? There's no way to just do GT3 races? You get other stuff in there too. That's such a pet peeve of mine. I've gone on and on about one of the big games doing this all the time, it makes no sense. GT3 and 2 shouldn't mix unless it's multi-class, road cars should never be in with race spec, and F1 racing against Indy and LMP is just stupid. All semblance to actual real motorsports is completely thrown out.

Minor complaints aside from the cockpit jankiness.

But there's a lot to like too, it has some cool little features that I'd love to see in other games.
-It's great to adjust TC and Brakes on the fly.
-As in Shift and pCARS, you can quickly turn on and cycle through the HUD if need be.
-It's nice to have 3 filter options for color palette. I love the look of the lighting in the game under most conditions (it looks cleaner than pCARS as times),

And the most important, the physics and driving feels great, even with a controller. The cars are super enjoyable to drive for the most part. The list of GT3 cars is great and they handle wonderfully. I've fallen in love with the new Mercedes AMG GT3 last night.

I still think pCARS offers a better racing experience, but this'll be good for driving feel and hotlapping for me. I'll sink some time in race weekends in the next few days. The career is really hard even in the early going. I hope they patch the difficulty.

And Mascot, I understand how you feel, you probably should have taken the PC leap a while ago!
I would if I could but my time and resources are focused on the family right now.

edit- Tyler, thank you for the posts regarding tips and physics/values explanations, they not only extremely thorough and insightful, but wording in a such a way to help those new to the game easily understand.

danowat, thanks for continuing to test and post settings for controllers. I'll try these new ones out today.

danowat

Banned
A totally unexpected fat tax refund from 2013(!) landed today (god bless you, my accountant) so I'm starting to think... what the fuck. Need to sleep on it before I do something silly..!

I came from PC sims, but I got tired of PC gaming, console gaming fits in with my lifestyle more, or at least it used to, consoles are becoming more PC like, so maybe if they continue to do so, I'll return to PC gaming.

If you've got the time, space, patience and money, I'd go for it, it's obviously the better platform for sims (among other things)

cooldawn

- sensitivity is turn-rate or input smoothing over time.
- speed is how many degrees a full left/right on the stick will translate to on the cars steering wheel relative to the speed it is going at. (because at 160mph you never would turn a real steering wheel 450 degrees in one direction, the maximum stick input will translate to only a few degrees of turn in)
- deadzone you got right
- filter is... imagine your x inputs on the stick on a timeline-graph, imagine movingvthe stick fully to the right, then fully to the left. The graph will look scrawly and sharp-edgy. filter smoothes that graph like a low-pass filter does audio until it would look like a smooth sinus or sharp triangle. (lower values are probanly more filtering, I think). Smooth is fast, but too smooth and all your fast stick movements will drowned out like this.
- gamma is a gamma power-law function:

it translates your input into a signal between 0 and 1 to the power of gamma. So moving the stick halfway at a gamma of 300% would lead to an output signal of 0.5^3=0,125. Meaning, higher gamma leads to little stick movement does almost nothing, gamma 1(100%) is direct translation, and gamma close to zero leads to even small movements of the stick out of the deadzone will lead to a lot of turn-in.

If I got it wrong, please correct me, everyone. yi love to learn.

edit: my sensitivity and speed explanations can't be right if dan has 0% speed_steer... can they??? No... but the other stuff should be right. Also, sorry for all the typos, I'm the worst at typing on a phone or pad.
Mind explosion. Ha! Thank you.

Beware of changing the gamma, it's broken on consoles and leads to extremely sensitive steering.

I am still tweaking, there are similar snap back and low speed grip issues that pcars has with the pad, I just think it's simply to do with the fact that the way you can steer with a pad is so fast and unrealistic in a sim that it causes the front tyres to lose grip so fast that it causes them to do weird things.

Pad driving needs some kind of steering assist, but then it wouldn't be a sim..

Edit: I also think the deadzone is broken on console as well as the gamma setting.

Edit2: modified settings

Speed sensitivity : 25
Steering speed : 11
Steering deadzone: 12
Steering filter: 38
Steering gamma : 180
BINGO!

I did try to change the Gamma and Deadzone settings before and found incremental changes did nothing but extremities displayed a major difference...like from baseline steering to none at all! It's good to see it's been verified by someone else.

So I think that's a full-house. It falls perfectly in-line with my complaints i.e. smooth driving style disrupted by broken controller settings. It's the reason Assetto Corsa plays like wet conditions using a pad because inputs are less progressive...and I guess there's just no getting around it until an update hits.

Thank you guys.

I dont feel this problems with the steering wheel but with the controller its different at low speed. I wouldnt say that its physics problem more that its pad problem as you stated. This behaviouris same as in pcars when i am driving with DS4.
I'm happy with this conclusion. Without the bad controller settings I'm sure I could get this game to feels as smooth as Project CARS without using any assists.

edit- Tyler, thank you for the posts regarding tips and physics/values explanations, they not only extremely thorough and insightful, but wording in a such a way to help those new to the game easily understand.

danowat, thanks for continuing to test and post settings for controllers. I'll try these new ones out today.
James, you really are the most kindest guy alive. If there is ever a vote for the nicest GAFfer, you definitely have my vote.

-I really dislike the spastic jankiness of the hands turning the wheel.
-I wish I could adjust FOV on the fly, similar to Forza, some cars have closer FOV than others.

I too drive with the visible wheel and hands, it just looks nice and I don't have a rig that allows me to put my wheel very close to the screen, there is still almost a meter between wheel and TV-screen. Not seeing the onscreen wheel or get my immersion broken by janky wheel-movements would be super annoying.

About the FOV only from 50-60 and not during gameplay ...aaand also the inability to change the driver seat position... we should bug Kunos a little about that on Twitter or so. It's nothing super complicated to do and absolutely reasonable, I bet they'll do it. Well, FOV not lower than 50 might have had a reason behind it, but at leas seat position should be possible.

-----------

I tried to make something cool with the Step/Stage/Upgrade cars for the OP...

I automated getting the car names, description and data from the games UI JSON-files and mixed in a pic:
stepcarautomate3gs6y.png

But when I first ran the extraction for all Stage-upgraded cars, I also got stuff like this out:

ferrari_f40_s3zzszo.png

There is a SHITTON of TEXT on some of these! That's nothing for the OP. Maybe I'll find something else to do with it that is better to share. Or do you guys have cool suggestions what to do with what I got /can do?
An unpolished PDF would be easy to do for example.

Edit:
The restaurant comparison made me smile. Good review.

Neither tbh.

I really like the game on the PC, but even I wouldn't defend this console release. They fucked it up, plain and simple, starting with the bullshit about the DLC then with the terrible framerate and screen tearing. I went from buying this game day one (my thought when they told me it would release on consoles) to waiting for a 70-80% sale on PSN months later like I did with Project Cars, if they end up fixing the game like PCars did.

The only thing I'm against is when people with glass houses start throwing stones at the game, when basically no dev so far except for Codemasters on Dirt Rally did a good job on any 60fps racing sim on the PS4. The genre is a wreck this generation on consoles (at least PS4).

TJP

I thought the Eurogamer review was decent in its pro's and cons. The number of cars and tracks isn't huge - although the quality is - and modding makes up the difference on PC. The lack of mods on console is a huge hole that won't be filled anytime soon and Eurogamer rightly noted the mod community is huge on PC (over 4,600 mods just on Race Department alone).

Has this been posted? - http://www.racedepartment.com/threa...sa-console-issues-massarutto-responds.125582/ I don't think this game wil be a pump and dump release 8)

danowat

Banned
I tried to make something cool with the Step/Stage/Upgrade cars for the OP...

I automated getting the car names, description and data from the games UI JSON-files and mixed in a pic:
stepcarautomate3gs6y.png

But when I first ran the extraction for all Stage-upgraded cars, I also got stuff like this out:

ferrari_f40_s3zzszo.png

There is a SHITTON of TEXT on some of these! That's nothing for the OP. Maybe I'll find something else to do with it that is better to share. Or do you guys have cool suggestions what to do with what I got /can do?
An unpolished PDF would be easy to do for example.

Personally, an unpolished PDF would work, for me, but it seems a shame that this information isn't readily available, would a AC car information database online work?

Mascot

And Mascot, I understand how you feel, you probably should have taken the PC leap a while ago!
I would if I could but my time and resources are focused on the family right now.

I came from PC sims, but I got tired of PC gaming, console gaming fits in with my lifestyle more, or at least it used to, consoles are becoming more PC like, so maybe if they continue to do so, I'll return to PC gaming.

If you've got the time, space, patience and money, I'd go for it, it's obviously the better platform for sims (among other things)

I've been on the fence about PC gaming for years, and have come very close to doing it a few times. Two recent things are nudging me over though: retrospective legacy wheel thunderfuckage from Sony, and Bone franchises like FM and FH (and a whole lot else) being confirmed for PC. Add in shorter console cycles (akin to upgrading graphics cards) and the reasons for staying with consoles (apart from the damn convenience) are diminishing. It wouldn't be so bad if console versions of games weren't so fucking terribly optimised these days (which seems to be an increasing trend) so you didn't constantly feel like you were playing a gimped version on broken hardware.

nasanu

Banned
Because on consoles, there is not much competition. pCARS and AC.

On PC you also have iRacing, RRRE and Automobilista for example..

But they are all crap... All have the same issues as AC (shit career, shit online, shit graphics etc), except iRacing has almost decent online, but that has its own issues (stupidly priced being one).

The ones giving the free passes are so used to PC sims not offering anything other than a driving model they just don't see any issues. Personally I LOVE AC, but I also got into long flame wars on the AC forums over how crap (on PC, well before consoles) everything other than the driving is. I give it a less hard time on PC because it was cheap, but flamed Kunos when they started charging for DLC when personally I thought the game was about 6% finished. On console it is just a port (and a quick and dirty one based on the evidence) and still more expensive than it ever was on PC. It should not get a free pass based on that fact alone let alone all of its issues.

MGR

Has this been posted? - http://www.racedepartment.com/threa...sa-console-issues-massarutto-responds.125582/ I don't think this game wil be a pump and dump release 8)

I found this part interesting..,

With framerate and tearing problems on both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of Assetto Corsa rendering the game almost unplayable for some people, Kunos have acknowledged the issues via their various communication tools and promised players that a fix is in development and due to be deployed as soon as possible.

I don't recall anywhere Kunos promised anything about fixing the terrible frame rate and tearing on consoles?

danowat

Banned
But they are all crap... All have the same issues as AC (shit career, shit online, shit graphics etc), except iRacing has almost decent online, but that has its own issues (stupidly priced being one).

The ones giving the free passes are so used to PC sims not offering anything other than a driving model they just don't see any issues. Personally I LOVE AC, but I also got into long flame wars on the AC forums over how crap (on PC, well before consoles) everything other than the driving is. I give it a less hard time on PC because it was cheap, but flamed Kunos when they started charging for DLC when personally I thought the game was about 6% finished. On console it is just a port (and a quick and dirty one based on the evidence) and still more expensive than it ever was on PC. It should not get a free pass based on that fact alone let alone all of its issues.

Define giving something a 'free pass'

Other than spouting hot air on forums about issues, or not buying said product, (neither of which will have much of an impact on the product as a whole, because outside of that small niche of gamers who frequent places like GAF or Reddit, there is a great percentage of people who don't frequent such places who make up the majority of the sale) , what exactly can you do?

I've outlined what I think are issues, but I am not going to keep banging on about it because it won't make any difference, if that is me giving it a 'free pass' so be it, lifes too short to get bent out of shape about at £30 piece of software.

I don't recall anywhere Kunos promised anything about fixing the terrible frame rate and tearing on consoles?

They've already patched the XBO version to make the performance in MP the same (which some people find unplayable)

I wonder if they could have dropped it down to 900p to achieve a locked 60fps. I would have not cared as long as it was a solid 60.

Gestault

I think there's the element of enthusiasm for the studio, but the car handling is really solid. I see (and experience) that sort of draw to a particular handling model even when the game around it has problems, so I'd bet that's it for a lot of people.

Mascot

I think there's the element of enthusiasm for the studio, but the car handling is really solid. I see (and experience) that sort of draw to a particular handling model even when the game around it has problems, so I'd bet that's it for a lot of people.

I play AC on a three-year-old laptop plumbed into my racing rig. I have to turn the fidelity down to levels not known since Inca times but I can manage a steady 60fps, and it's a shit-ton of fun despite looking like ass. It's a shame Kunos didn't work backwards from 60fps (like Turn 10 do) because the console versions would have benefitted exponentially.

That is very sad to watch; perhaps AC locked at 30fps was a better alternative than a frame rate that fluctuates so much and never hits 60fps when there are more than a few AI cars on screen.

Perhaps Kunos will patch in better performance over time.

Really? What are your graphical settings? Do you set everything to maximum levels?

FWIW, I have zero issues running AC at it's default graphical/post processing settings except for high mirror quality, 16XAF and 4XAA at well over 60fps (single screen @ 1080P) with 23 AI.

I find the the integrated AI-only benchmark not too help- and meaningful, so... let's nerd out here...

I used FRAPS to get CSVs with frametime data that I analysed with Mathematica. (I just adore Wolfram Mathematica for this stuff)
Track used was Brands Hatch GP, populated with GT3 cars.

This is how my standard AC settings run with different opponent grid sizes:
[PC is an old Core i7, overclocked to 3.33GHz with an Asus GTX 970 Strix][1080p, FastSync with 4xAA, 16xAF, Post Processing on High, Shadows on High, Smoke on High, Reflections on High but Reflection Refresh Rate on Low]
ac_fpspic01wdsdd.png
ac_fpspic02xyssl.png
ac_fpspic03ums1v.png
ac_fpspic04k1sfd.png
ac_fpspic052ts38.png
ac_fpspic065bsa0.png
ac_fpspic0777s3a.png

You see that with more than 12 opponent cars, there are quite a few frames dropped (the vertical grey line in the diagrams marks the 16.667ms mark, if the frametime is higher than that a frame has "dropped" below 60fps). With 20 cars on the track it really gets noticeable during gameplay, even if the average framerate is still almost 70fps. Edit: With 23 cars, the standard deviation stops to increase and even gets lower again, meaning it's less "some frames bleed into crap territory" and more of a SNAFU case.

Now let's check how it goes without the post processing filters that really make the game look great (all other settings stay the same):
ac_fpspic08s1stj.png
ac_fpspic09tosyg.png
ac_fpspic102jsio.png

The framerate is much better with only a few opponents, but turns to shit anyway with more AI cars on the grid. Edit: Compare it to my standard settings above. With only 5 opponents, the framerate gets a 22fps boost, that dies down to a statistically irrelevant -3fps non-advantage at 23 opponents.

Now, one final look at 1080p with 8xAF, noAA, low shadows, no post processing and no reflections and the highest grid size:
ac_fpspic11ulsjf.png

With those settings, the game looks worse than rFactor, but the framerate is still not great...

Now, don't ask me about CPU usage stats, I can't export those from the game, but in the end it doesn't really matter, ...GPU bound, CPU bound, ...or if it's the physics, the AI or the 3D model detail:
Higher grid sizes fuck up Assetto Corsa's framerate really bad.

Interesting stuff as usual there, confirmation that the AI are using the same complex physics as the player then?

>I...< think... the AI physics are run in the physics thread that is running at 330Hz, if not they could drive over the sausage-curbs at 200km/h on the Red Bull Ring like they were even road surface. If that 330Hz dropped lower, that wouldn't affect the framerate, I think.
If I had to guess, then I think that they model all car geometry details on every car on the track all the time, even cockpit interieurs??? I haven't checked this, but I really don't know what else it could be.

I bet Mascot loves, that you reposted all the diagrams ;))

>I...< think... the AI physics are run in the physics thread that is running at 330Hz, if not they could drive over the sausage-curbs at 200km/h on the Red Bull Ring like they were even road surface. If that 330Hz dropped lower, that wouldn't affect the framerate, I think.
If I had to guess, then I think that they model all car geometry details on every car on the track all the time, even cockpit interieurs??? I haven't checked this, but I really don't know what else it could be.
I've seen this is the case on the PC version of AC, you can go in a race a look at every npc car and see detailed interiors for each and everyone of them, games like Forza or GT of course only model the detailed interior of the player's car whilst all AI cars have low detail/no dashview interiors

Jamesways

James, you really are the most kindest guy alive. If there is ever a vote for the nicest GAFfer, you definitely have my vote.

Ah thanks. Tell that to my 3 year old when mean ol dad is making her go to bed...
And seriously, your posts are a wealth of information, filled with stuff typically not privy to us console plebs (uh, gas is trigger and shift is what button now?). Ex- see above posts. Fascinating stuff, really.

pCARS needed a flipping lexicon on console for all the definitions of settings and options. And I'm all for that honestly. I know there's some who don't want to fiddle with such things in the pick up and play console world, but you don't have to, and more ability to tweak gameplay and visual aspects is always welcome in my book.

And after trying some of the stage and step cars, they're great. Love the BMW 1M race version. And they have the Battery Tender Lotus Evoras! They handle so damn good!

From GTPlanet: Prestige pack will be made available for purchase

No word on when or how much, but as stated before, it's not available in the season pass.
That is great news. I'll buy in heartbeat. I've already bought the season pass.

I don't keep many games, they're all basically racing ones, and I'll buy any DLC content for them. I'm a big fan of more content of the games I play and enjoy on a regular basis, and it supports the devs for future products. Holding back content however, I'm not a fan of, but will get it anyway.

Yes, I'm part of the DLC problem. :p

I thought the Eurogamer review was decent in its pro's and cons. The number of cars and tracks isn't huge - although the quality is - and modding makes up the difference on PC. The lack of mods on console is a huge hole that won't be filled anytime soon and Eurogamer rightly noted the mod community is huge on PC (over 4,600 mods just on Race Department alone).

It was a good review. And nice to read official confirmation that they'll continue to support this post launch.

I know some folks are really rubbed raw about the state of the release and can't understand how anyone would play or defend this. I get that, especially knowing how much better the game is on PC. But despite the shortcomings and issues (and I've outlined several of my own too), the driving model and feel is better than anything I've played on console yet.

It's been fun comparing this to the same car/track/lighting combos in pCARS the past few days. pCARS still has some seriously wonky controls on some of them.

Having more time with it, I'm liking it more and more. They've got some great race cars in here, and they're just so enjoyable to drive, even with a pad.
For what it is, I'm relatively satisfied. Disappointed, sure. But still having fun with it? You bet!
And as I experience yesterday afternoon, it's much more fun when you're fully sober!
The 2-3 beers I have after the kids are in bed do not mix with sims very well.

edit- Also, as a console player, I couldn't be happier this gen having more options than just the big 2.
I've read some doom and gloom posts in the GTS thread about this gen being the worst for racing yet.
I disagree. I know several games have had launch problems and delays, but the fact that we're getting to play 3 popular PC sims now, that's fantastic.

As for other games, Driveclub is really solid now (I can't stop playing the bikes mode), MotoGP has never been more polished, rally finally has options with SLR Evo, plus WRC 6 looks to be a huge step up, F1 sounds like it's heading in the right direction, and Ride 2 looks promising.

TTG

Gamefly delivered it a little while ago, very first impressions from a long time console guy:

- Holy sharp turn in. I haven't touched GT6 in a long while, but my recollection is that thing loaded up progressively and relatively gradually(I'm playing with a pad). So much so that on formula cars, and those red bulls, you had to turn steering sensitivity up, but for the vast majority of cars it felt good. Here it feels like I'm at full lock into every turn immediately and lift off oversteer is all I get for my troubles. Doesn't help that as soon as I touch the stick the driver is just sawing at the wheel as fast as he/she can. This is going to take adjusting to, hopefully I don't have to tinker with sensitivity settings.

- You're not going to let me reassign buttons on the controller, really? This and the low quality thumbnails all over the menus make me think this game is from 2006 or something.

- Screen tearing. I'm out here in practice mode, nothing but the Nurburgring GT course and a car and thank god it's not so noticeable on the move. Whatever you do, don't spin out.

- 488 and C7 are locked. You would think in a game with relatively few cars they wouldn't lock these cars behind DLC or whatever the fuck, but no. If you're going to do this, which is indefensible in general, at least do so with odd/quirky cars. Not something everyone is going to want to try right after they're done poodling around. Oh, and no Porsche, it's like I'm playing GT all over again.

- Can I just get a stock tachometer with some RPM indicators with the bumper cam? What's the point of having one at all if all the information I have is when I'm redlining and what gear I'm in. I'm probably going to play in the cockpit mode that's zoomed in past the steering wheel, but this is my usual setting and that tach is trash.

Lastly, it's a lot less forgiving when you lose traction relative to GT. With those games you can look like Chris Harris within 5 minutes of picking the game up in all but the most over powered cars. It's not just finding opposite lock and easily modulating the rear end that's tough either, this game does not take well to WOT in low gears. As long as you're pointed sort of straight in GT games you're essentially welcome to stand on the throttle at any speed. This is potentially a very good thing, it's just hard to tell within the first half hour.

Bandit1

So I've mostly been trying out different cars and tracks in practice mode and I came across Monza '66 Full Course and decided try it out with the '66 GT40 (period correct ya know) and holy crap, that banking! D:
Really fun, high-speed track and you don't usually find banking that steep on a road course. I also liked seeing the old signage too.

The GT40 is a beast. I can't even imagine what it was like to drive that thing at LeMans back then. It would be great to have Sarthe in the game and more old race cars. As a fan of American muscle I'd love to have some of the old Trans Am series race cars in the game. The '70 Boss 302, AMC Javelin and Chevy Camaro. Add Laguna Seca and maybe even the old Riverside track and it would make for some really cool nostalgic races.

nasanu

Banned
Define giving something a 'free pass'

I mean people generally praising them without qualification. I will happily praise AC, but I will qualify that praise by noting that I get all of the enjoyment out of the driving feel and note that is does nothing else worthy.

http://www.console.assettocorsa.net/community-blog-010916.php

COMMUNITY BLOG - 1ST SEP 2016
This time last week, Assetto Corsa began to appear on the shelves of game stores around the world. Firstly, we want to say a massive thank you to all of our fans for purchasing the game on console.

Now we&#8217;ve launched worldwide, the comments have started flooding in. There&#8217;s a great deal of love and support for Assetto Corsa out there, which is fantastic! There&#8217;s also some constructive criticism, which we appreciate and accept with open arms! At the end of the day, our community matters to us and we want you to be happy. We are always open to feedback and suggestions and whilst we cannot promise that we can do everything you ask us to, be rest assured that we are going to do everything we can to build on these foundations! Our development team might be very small, (<30 developers) but they are incredibly passionate about what they do and their aim has always been to produce the greatest racing sim on console and PC.

Kunos Simulazioni are 100% committed to ensuring that we build on the foundations we've laid with Assetto Corsa, for our console players! There&#8217;s a lot going on behind the scenes and we want to take this opportunity to give you an insight into what&#8217;s been going on since launch and our next steps...

WHAT&#8217;S NEW?
When we launched Assetto Corsa onto console, it became clear to us that there was some feedback that needed addressing. A number of players were experiencing multiplayer performance issues on the Xbox One connected to voice chat. 2 days ago, we released an update which tackles this issue, so players can now head back in game and enjoy Assetto Corsa.

PRESTIGE PACK AVAILABILITY
Assetto Corsa launched 2 editions&#8230; PRESTIGE and PERFORMANCE. The Prestige edition was not available digitally, only physically from selected retailers. Soon after launch, it came to our attention that our community were not too pleased and wanted to be able to own the cars for themselves. So we&#8217;ve reacted! We're pleased to announce that the Prestige Pack will be available to purchase from the PlayStation® 4 and Xbox One Store at a later date. The pack will contain the following cars...

Audi A1 S1
Audi R8 V10 Plus
BMW M4 Coupe
Corvette C7 Stingray
Ferrari 488 GTB
Ford Mustang 2015
Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera
Nissan GT-R Nismo 2015
Toyota GT86
More info on the Prestige pack coming soon! PLEASE REMEMBER! The Season pass DOES NOT contain the above cars! The Season pass contains the Japanese Pack, Porsche Packs, The Red Pack and an exclusive livery. We apologise for any confusion that may have been caused here!

SCREEN TEARING AND FRAMERATE ISSUES
Our developers are fully aware that some of you are experiencing screen tearing on both platforms, with Assetto Corsa. They&#8217;re currently working on a fix and we will update our community as soon as we can with more information.

PRIVATE LOBBIES
We know and recognise that this is a massive talking point across all our community channels and be rest assured, we hear you! We respect your frustration and are fully aware of this request. The main priority with the console edition of Assetto Corsa was to launch a super stable game with fantastic driving. Whilst we have no news to share right now, what we can say is we are evaluating the available options. Please be patient with us and we&#8217;ll keep you guys updated.

AI DIFFICULTY
This is a tough one&#8230; We don&#8217;t want to make the game &#8216;easy&#8217; by any means, but we do recognise that the AI may need tweaking, especially on Easy mode. Our team are aware of this request and are working on a solution. Again, more info on this soon!

CONTROLLER / WHEEL CONFIGS
We hear you and we are addressing this! We are also working to improve the controller functionality in Assetto Corsa.

SEASON PASS
For those who don&#8217;t know already, there is a Season pass available for Assetto Corsa. Right now, there aren&#8217;t any packs to download, but there will be in the near future! Should you decide to purchase a Season pass, you&#8217;ll be able to download the following packages at a later date...

Japanese Pack
The Red Pack
Porsche Packs
Exclusive Livery
SUPPORT
If you are experiencing issues with the console edition of Assetto Corsa, we want to help! :) Please follow the below steps in order to help us help you...

1 - Firstly, we encourage you to search the CONSOLE LOUNGE and the sub-forums for a solution to your issue.

2 - If you are unable to find the answer you are looking for, then please check out our FAQ's. This will be updated as and when required.

3 - Should you wish to speak to someone directly, please head over to the 505 GAMES SUPPORT portal and log a ticket. A member of our Customer Support team will be in touch to help you.

TEAM WORK MAKES THE DREAM WORK
Let&#8217;s wrap things up for now by saying a massive thank you again to our community for their support. We are excited to build on the foundations we&#8217;ve laid. Whilst it&#8217;s practically impossible to reply to each and every one of you individually, please know that we do hear you and we are listening.

All we ask is that you stick with us, be patient with us and show us the level of support you always have done.

Have a great day!

Support is coming for consoles :)

TTG

Anyone know what's up with the second Quick Race in the career tab? Guiletta QV at Magione. There's an E30 up front and there's just no catching it. I had to bump the AI difficulty all the way to easy to get him. I can make it interesting versus the other cars, but that gap is enormous, when I finished first on easy the E30 was 20+ seconds ahead of third place. Playing with a dualshock here, don't know if that makes a difference.

MGR

SCREEN TEARING AND FRAMERATE ISSUES
Our developers are fully aware that some of you are experiencing screen tearing on both platforms, with Assetto Corsa. The rest of you are obviously blind. They’re currently working on a fix and we will update our community as soon as we can with more information.

Props to Kunos for openly admitting the frame rate is not up to scratch. You don't see that very often from game devs. No guarantees when or even IF it will be fixed, but at least they're not ignoring the issue.

Anyone know what's up with the second Quick Race in the career tab? Guiletta QV at Magione. There's an E30 up front and there's just no catching it. I had to bump the AI difficulty all the way to easy to get him. I can make it interesting versus the other cars, but that gap is enormous, when I finished first on easy the E30 was 20+ seconds ahead of third place. Playing with a dualshock here, don't know if that makes a difference.

I wouldn't worry about that one. It gets way more messed up in later races ;)

danowat

Banned

There's plenty of that in the career, the worst one is the Z4 one.

TTG

There's plenty of that in the career, the worst one is the Z4 one.

Yea, at least there's good ol turn 1 on Nurburgring GP to play bumper cars on. I had 4 cars finish with a faster lap time than me, if the faster m3s didn't have to fight through traffic I don't think I would have gotten it.

nasanu

Banned
The Season pass contains the Japanese Pack, Porsche Packs, The Red Pack and an exclusive livery. We apologise for any confusion that may have been caused here!

SEASON PASS
For those who don&#8217;t know already, there is a Season pass available for Assetto Corsa. Right now, there aren&#8217;t any packs to download, but there will be in the near future! Should you decide to purchase a Season pass, you&#8217;ll be able to download the following packages at a later date...

Japanese Pack
The Red Pack
Porsche Packs
Exclusive Livery

Oh wow... Now they are just trolling. $45 (almost the full game cost) for content already available, minus what they removed for exclusive bonuses, and the Porsche packs... That is a whole season pass?

F### off kunos!

GHG

Gold Member
Guys, just a note on the AI difficulty...

You are not supposed to be able to win some races and that is regardless of the difficulty level.

You will notice that in order to progress to the next tier you are given certain objectives right? Most of these objectives consist of a number of silver or bronze badges which will typically require you to place 2nd or 3rd in some races or even 3rd or 4th in others.

So for races like the bmw z4 one you are not supposed to win due to being up against m3's and the like but your objective for that race should be finishing in the bronze badge position. In other races within that tier you are given the m3 and if you look closely the rest of the field is exactly the same as it was for the z4 race. In that race silver or gold should be attainable.

That is what you should be looking out for, not to just place first in every single race. The career mode is not designed around having to finish first in everything. This isn't Gran Turismo. Look at the objectives, look at the place badges, look at your oppositions cars vs your own and then decide where you think you should be realistically aiming for and go for it.

From what I've seen there are other ai issues on the console versions like premature pitting and the like but on the whole people need to stop with this obsession of needing to finish first. You can actually "beat" the career mode in this game without ever really finishing first save for a handful of races in some of the higher tiers. Just have fun with it and do the best you can.

If you are getting gold in the time trials on your difficulty level of choice then that is a good indication that you are performing well enough to get at least bronze in a race with the same car and track combo.

Guys, just a note on the AI difficulty...

You are not supposed to be able to win some races and that is regardless of the difficulty level.
People keep saying this but it doesn't make any sense. There are achievements for getting gold medals in all events.
If what you said was true it would be the dumbest game design choice in a long time.

PC players should stop defending the console AI difficulty.

GHG

Gold Member
People keep saying this but it doesn't make any sense. There are achievements for getting gold medals in all events.
If what you said was true it would be the dumbest game design choice in a long time.

PC players should stop defending the console AI difficulty.

Its not dumb. Look at where you have the potential to place in accordance with the tier progression goals, not in a vacuum where achievements are the only thing that matter.

My view on it is screw achievements, they probably put those in there to troll people who care about them.

A z4 is not beating an m3 and a Mercedes SLS is not beating a Ferrari 458. That should not be your goal. Your goal is to beat cars of similar ability within those races and you get rewarded accordingly.

If people were complaining that they couldn't progress then I would understand but that is not the case.

The AI difficulty is similar on the PC version dependant on where the difficulty slider is set but the ai seems to do dumb shit on the console versions such as pitting before the last lap in a 4/5 lap race. That is what you guys should be complaining about along with the awful framerate/tearing.

Top Bottom