• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa (Console) |OT| Kunos tries to console us.

Bandit1

From the official FB page-

Interesting about the pre-order cars. Maybe they'll be available, maybe not. And not included with the season pass.

Lovely.

Yeah I found this disappointing. I should get the Corvette, 488 GTB and the R8 V10 with my Amazon order but I was really looking forward to the Mustang GT, Nismo GTR, and the M4.

danowat

Banned
Yeah I found this disappointing. I should get the Corvette, 488 GTB and the R8 V10 with my Amazon order but I was really looking forward to the Mustang GT, Nismo GTR, and the M4.
It sucks, I hate there being exclusive content.

I haven't even got the pre order code yet.

It sucks, I hate there being exclusive content.

I haven't even got the pre order code yet.

After what Kunos have said so far, I bet it's timed exclusivity for 2016. Probably a "we'll advertise your game for free, if..."-deal with gamestop.

So the Black Cat County and Red Bull Ring are not in the console version (and "Trento Bendone" neither). But it's "planned" to have all tracks in the console version (as in "DLC" at some point).

The Corvette C7 Stingray, Audi R8 and 488GTB are general pre-order bonuses and the cars from the gamestop "exclusive" prestige pack (Audi S1, R8, M4, Vette Stingray, 488GTB, Mustang, Gallardo, GT-R Nismo, GT86) are gamestop pre-order bonuses, that might come later as paid DLC for everyone. The other cars from the japanese DLC pack (Mazda MX-5, MX-5 Cup, RX-7, Nissan 370Z Nismo, GT-R 34, Toyota Supra 3 versions,AE-86 2 versions) are missing and the ones from the Red Pack DLC too (Ferrari SF15-T, F138, 488 GT3, Maserati 250F 6C, 250F 12C, GranTurismo GT4. Levante S, Lamborghini Aventador SuperVeloce).

Have I got that right? If so, I'd update the OT gallery pics now, so they are correct for the US release.

Its mostly since the AI run the same physics as the player. There is no prebaked stuff.

wait, are they on the SAME tire model, without simplifications?!?!?? (I honestly have no idea how it is in AC, every other current day racing game has the AI on a different tire model)

The last I read, this wasn't true. It's much simplified. Hence why there were issues with the AI performing so well in the wet.

wet?? Am I in the wrong thread? That was in pCARS, I think. The AI was overperforming in AC in the old Formula cars because they were using the "cheat"-stability control, but with v1.8 they build-in STM-mistakes/failures.

LilJoka

wet?? Am I in the wrong thread? That was in pCARS, I think. The AI was overperforming in AC in the old Formula cars because they were using the "cheat"-stability control, but with v1.8 they build-in STM-mistakes/failures.

I don't think its simplified, but they maybe using assists to help them or make them more realistic as you say in terms of mistakes.

This is definitely the case for PCARS.

Interested in getting confirmation on the AI physics models.

You are right btw, that their tire model is close to a brush model. It's weird that it feels SO good with a wheel (the good tire sounds and camera movement also help). Each tire is more of a research-compare-feel-adjust hand-made thing in AC, so in theory it should be hit and miss, but I don't know a tire that feels off in AC, especially not since ~tire model version 3-5 (we are on 10 now, quite a few tires are still missing data for the full featured v10 though and are still on v7).
Their approach to tire modeling is more "It's less sophisticated and very hand-made, but we need lots of control for adjustment if it feels wrong even if the data says it's right ...and are not interested in an easier automated process for which we would need thousands of hours to get right until it works well and gets good results"... that's what rFactor 2 seems to be doing and Reiza for example are unhappy with (they rent the ISI engine) - sophistication over accessability for builders like them.

So the Black Cat County and Red Bull Ring are not in the console version (and "Trento Bendone" neither). But it's "planned" to have all tracks in the console version (as in "DLC" at some point).

The Corvette C7 Stingray, Audi R8 and 488GTB are general pre-order bonuses and the cars from the gamestop "exclusive" prestige pack (Audi S1, R8, M4, Vette Stingray, 488GTB, Mustang, Gallardo, GT-R Nismo, GT86) are gamestop pre-order bonuses, that might come later as paid DLC for everyone. The other cars from the japanese DLC pack (Mazda MX-5, MX-5 Cup, RX-7, Nissan 370Z Nismo, GT-R 34, Toyota Supra 3 versions,AE-86 2 versions) are missing and the ones from the Red Pack DLC too (Ferrari SF15-T, F138, 488 GT3, Maserati 250F 6C, 250F 12C, GranTurismo GT4. Levante S, Lamborghini Aventador SuperVeloce).

Have I got that right? If so, I'd update the OT gallery pics now, so they are correct for the US release.
Can someone confirm this? I'll get to updating the OT-pics then.

cooldawn

Sorry for asking again...but where are those custom controls? I can't find them.

Today I've learned to use German Series cars and Supercars to use online...shame the hoppers are a bit crap and that players are still dystopian. Would have thought the nature of this game weeded out the ruinous casuals.

LilJoka

This is definitely the case for PCARS.

Interested in getting confirmation on the AI physics models.

Afaik it's STM + extra grip (in respect to opponent difficulty), but still use player physics. All I can dig up at this point are some old Facebook posts that specifically state it's player physics.

I think AC uses more CPU resource on my PC than any other game I own. Probably why the performance is so bad on console.

Strange, AC was always more GPU intensive here. Project Cars though, that game asked for a lot of CPU.

Been a long time since I played, so maybe they changed something.

Afaik it's STM + extra grip (in respect to opponent difficulty), but still use player physics. All I can dig up at this point are some old Facebook posts that specifically state it's player physics.

ok, thanks for the effort. I suspected this too, but thought it can't really be, since it would be too hardware taxing especially if it can run with 15 opponents on a console cpu.

danowat

Banned
Continuing to find omissions from the console versions, was interested in the differences between the step and stage models, it turns out the PC version has description text to say what they have been modified with, console has none of this.

I know it's a small thing compared to the other missing settings, cars and tracks, but it beggars belief why they'd leave it out.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Not sure what everyone is complaining about. I get some minor screen tear but no perfomance drops. Maybe this game has issues on old model ps4?

They did not. Even with a full grid my CPU never goes past 60% usage.
Again, if you read the cpu percentage from the in-game app, that number only tells you how much faster the CPU finishes its job on a frame. If a larger grid is more gpu taxing because of reflection calculations and whatnot, your fps will decrease, freeing up cpu time that would result in a lower percentage. There are extra performance numbers for the physics, which are entirely decoupled from the graphics and the cpu power going into that. Not sure if the AI falls into "physics" but I assume they do, because they need to run at a higher refresh rate, just like the physics engine.

danowat

Banned
Not sure what everyone is complaining about. I get some minor screen tear but no perfomance drops. Maybe this game has issues on old model ps4?
Not sure, would be good to get some comparison videos between people who think it's bad, and people who think it's not so bad.

Or its just different people's threshold for these things.

Solal

Same story everytime. Some people just don't see the framerate drops, even if they are massive. Good for them.

But framerate is an objective value... if I someone sees the drops, that means they are there...

Look at that video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLY4Pp8OgFs

And look at the side of the road on every corner... don't you see the stuttering (i don't know if it's the exact word... but the animation is not smooth at all)? Only one car on screen btw... (and that tearing...)

The problems are way more obvious in the corners: just look at the side... and if you see them, keep in mind that if you are not very sensitive to this, and some people are.

TJP

If I remember right, the CPU percentage says how much earlier the CPU finishes its workshare for one frame than the GPU does. So, that's actually a 12% higher CPU usage without post-processing.
You might well be right however the 40 fps increase really helps negate any increase in CPU usage :)

Looking at Reddit & it appears version 1.8 really increased frame rates for some users not that it helps console gamers now but it may do when the inevitable patch(es) are released for both systems. I've not had a chance to buy or play the latest update.

Edit - latest version 1.8 benchmarks @ default settings.

Yebis post processing on:
FPS: AVG=118 MIN=63 MAX=152 VARIANCE=0 CPU=50%

Yebis post processing off:
FPS: AVG=181 MIN=112 MAX=222 VARIANCE=0 CPU=71%

Seems to me that the frame rate drain with Yebis on has gotten worse over time, not better.

What is the overall feeling about AC on consoles? People in for the long haul or cut their losses and/or come back after a few updates?

terrible

Banned
This ISR video shows how unbalanced the AI is in the console version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwi4jn36jPI

AI pitting for no reason, unbalanced races, no custom online lobbies, no leaderboards. Damn. I really like the game for what it is on PC but they have to do better than this for a full priced console release if they want people to buy it. These are really basic things that they're messing up and I bet for a lot of people it'll give them zero motivation to continue playing the game after hot lapping gets stale. Not everyone can hop lap infinitely without getting bored like me lol. I really want games like this to succeed and become popular but that's just not going to happen with efforts like this.

It really confuses me that something as simple as a leaderboard and rival type mode isn't in every single racing game at this point. That alone in Forza keeps me coming back even though I'm not a big fan of their physics model. It's such a simple feature but being able to race the ghost of a friend or whoever adds so much replayability.

Ok I've finished ranting, sorry.

Jamesways

What is the overall feeling about AC on consoles? People in for the long haul or cut their losses and/or come back after a few updates?

Overall feeling? Let's visit PretendRaceCars!
It's the worst game ever made...
https://pretendracecars.net/2016/08/28/a-predictable-disaster/
Basically "I wasn't looking forward to having to write this, but boy do I love to see when companies fucking fail! Also everything's terrible."

I'm really looking forward to trying it out when it finally unlocks here at midnight.

Here's stream chat from yesterday with Stefano playing guitar, answering questions, and talking about the launch, reviews, and future. Good stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-5ZrxYJ4R0

danowat

Banned
What's general consensus on gamepad response? Playing with racing wheel, but might try a couple of races with controller as a more relaxed couch arcadey experience every once in a while.
Needs alot of setting up IMO, as much as PCARS, default settings aren't good.

One of the issues is that once you've got it set for one car, you try another and it's way off, particular example is the M3 Drift then go to the KTM XBow, the settings need to be different.

I am still tweaking but I have some settings that seem to work across many different cars, I will post them later.

As for the rest of it, personally I think PCARS is a better game and a better race simulator, but AC is a better driving simulator.

If we could get a product that took the best of both, we'd have a cracking one.

TJP

Overall feeling? Let's visit PretendRaceCars!
It's the worst game ever made...https://pretendracecars.net/2016/08/28/a-predictable-disaster/ Basically "I wasn't looking forward to having to write this, but boy do I love to see when companies fucking fail! Also everything's terrible." I'm really looking forward to trying it out when it finally unlocks here at midnight.
Yep, Austin, AKA James, loves to shit on every single game, developer and the community whether it's warranted or not. Anyone who tries to stir up shit - such as he attempted with Reiza's crowdfunding without putting a single cent in himself - deserves all of the bile that is sent his way.

I look forward to reading your impressions later in the week. Something tells me AC will be the Race Pro of this generation.

@TJP My PC framerate improved 12-20 fps. Bought the Tripl3 pack, haven't tried the Praga, but the 488GTB was disappointing for me. They didn't model my "slip angle control" feature wish, but what's worse is that it suffers from terrible(!) on-coast/low-throttle understeer. But there will be a patch today that remodels the "brake the inner wheel" torque vectoring eDiff feature on some cars. Maybe that will address this.

@Solal and Danowat: To compare your framerates from videos, you really need 60fps capture equipment. I remember uploading a beautiful pCARS video from a lap at watkins glen in almost darkness with a red sky-glow reflected on the matte silver paint of my RUF. The Xbox One video seemed to never hit 60fps, but it still was pretty smooth and totally watchable. The 30fps capture video of that was the most awful stuttery mess and no indicator for how it actually was and felt on the console.

Here's stream chat from yesterday with Stefano playing guitar, answering questions, and talking about the launch, reviews, and future. Good stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-5ZrxYJ4R0[/QUOTE]
Some short bits for people who don't want to watch these sometimes over 2 hour long things:
- The console version will get the same "we're here for the long run"-support that the PC version does
- Console AI and a lot features on the consoles are versions behind the PC and will be updated over time.
- Japanese and Red pack DLCs will come to consoles.
- the only real solution for Stefano to get rid of the screen tearing is v-sync, but that would add a lot input lag that the really good racers out there absolutely hate and also they would need to get the game to always run at 60fps or higher for it to not fall down to half of that (30fps) and stutter big time. [what about triple-buffering?? That also adds input lag, but it doesn't half the refresh rate if you fall below 60fps, right?? He didn't mention tiple buffering]

Solal

Yep, Austin, AKA James, loves to shit on every single game, developer and the community whether it's warranted or not. Anyone who tries to stir up shit - such as he attempted with Reiza's crowdfunding without putting a single cent in himself - deserves all of the bile that is sent his way.

I look forward to reading your impressions later in the week. Something tells me AC will be the Race Pro of this generation.

Well... I don't know that guy but Assetto Corsa has the worst framerate and screen tearing I have ever seen in a car game (on console). As it is, it should never have passed the quality certifications.
Not even going to comment on all the other problems. I did not even experience them as i can't play the game as it is.

As much as you can love AC on PC, this port is a real disgrace.

Well... I don't know that guy but Assetto Corsa has the worst framerate and screen tearing I have ever seen in a car game (on console). As it is, it should never have passed the quality certifications.

Have you heard of a game called GT5 or GT6?
https://youtu.be/QtJ7s3u4bAs?t=1m4s [digital foundry] (they don't even show cockpit view in that video, which is the worst of all camera positions/perspectives)

it's hard on the eyes, but always playable and responsive. I liked both of those and still can go back to them without problems after ~2 minutes of brain adjustment. It's "stutter" when it gets problematic. GT doesn't stutter much, that's why it's playable.

TJP

Not even going to comment on all the other problems. I did not even experience them as i can't play the game as it is.

As much as you can love AC on PC, this port is a real disgrace.
PRC is a cesspool; Austin makes some valid points but I'm reminded a busted analogue clock is still right twice a day.

As for the console release, I have no excuses and make none for the developer. It makes me annoyed as console and PC gamers should both benefit from any sim being on more than one platform if the dev can support doing so. Kunos are tiny and it is apparent as more technical problems appear that the console versions should have been delayed. I just hope Kunos can salvage what they've released onto the console masses.

Solal

Have you heard of a game called GT5 or GT6?
https://youtu.be/QtJ7s3u4bAs?t=1m4s [digital foundry] (they don't even show cockpit view in that video, which is the worst of all camera positions/perspectives)

it's hard on the eyes, but always playable and responsive.

Funny you say that as i was one of the most vocals about GT5 and 6 shitty framerates ( seriously man, you picked the wrong guy on this)... but trust me: compared to AC, GT5 and 6 are smooth as butter.

Assetto corsa marks a new low. Absolutly disgusting framerate on PS4.

AC on Xbox is worse than any GT.

I can believe you that it feels or plays worse than PS3 GT games because of framerate stutter, but I just can't believe that AC has a lower average framerate, sorry.

I should stop arguing and just believe you guys... yeah, I'll do that. Maybe it gets better...

I can believe you that it feels or plays worse than PS3 GT games because of framerate stutter, but I just can't believe that AC has a lower average framerate, sorry.

I should stop arguing and just believe you guys... yeah, I'll do that. Maybe it gets better...

This is AC on Xbox.
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Vega/video/20928654

There are tons of videos that show these performance issues.

No GT was ever as bad as this.

Haha, you know it's not a good sign when the Playstation gaming site...recommends Forza.

?

This is AC on Xbox.
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Vega/video/20928654

There are tons of videos that show these performance issues.
To compare your framerates from videos, you really need 60fps capture equipment. I remember uploading a beautiful pCARS video from a lap at watkins glen in almost darkness with a red sky-glow reflected on the matte silver paint of my RUF. The Xbox One video seemed to never hit 60fps, but it still was pretty smooth and totally watchable. The 30fps capture video of that was the most awful stuttery mess and no indicator for how it actually was and felt on the console.

I dug up the video: https://youtu.be/yRtiTivh3oY
that seemed smooth on XB1 before it was cut down to 30fps video.

But it's ok, I just take your word for it, that the framerate is bad and makes the game less playable than GT. I now honestly choose to believe you! If I were you, I'd probably stop playing and come back after I'm over FH3, sometime in October... or maybe even sell the game and re-buy it in a year with included season pass (I did that with Driveclub).

nasanu

Banned
Again, if you read the cpu percentage from the in-game app, that number only tells you how much faster the CPU finishes its job on a frame. If a larger grid is more gpu taxing because of reflection calculations and whatnot, your fps will decrease, freeing up cpu time that would result in a lower percentage. There are extra performance numbers for the physics, which are entirely decoupled from the graphics and the cpu power going into that. Not sure if the AI falls into "physics" but I assume they do, because they need to run at a higher refresh rate, just like the physics engine.

And?...

As I said, GPU bound. And if you try to twist it so say that sure, you might be idle for 50% of the time on the physics thread but who knows on others then that still makes it GPU bound, after all what else will tying up threads like that achieve?

The video I posted is mine. I captured a lot more and yes it is that bad.

The Xbox version is getting terrible reviews here in Germany because of the performance issues.

Assetto Corsa may succeed as a simulation, but it fails as a game. Clearly a ton of work has gone into making sure the cars handle correctly and that the tracks are as realistic as possible, which just makes the end result even more heartrending. It has a terrible user interface, isn’t fun to play and doesn’t feature any of the helpful tools that make Forza such an appealing game.
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...s4-review-misero-turismo/#8gyjb2fPtqC6IISB.99

Edit: I think his points arent great but it is funny seeing that quote from that site.

I seriously gotta see comparisons because it will be quite a feat to be worse than Project Cars, framerate wise. Tearing might be worse, but PC was among the worst framerates I've ever seen on a racing sim (consoles, of course).

Solal

I seriously gotta see comparisons because it will be quite a feat to be worse than Project Cars, framerate wise. Tearing might be worse, but PC was among the worst framerates I've ever seen on a racing sim (consoles, of course).

Have you tried P cars recently? The framerate, still far from perfect, is pretty correct now. very playable. (on PS4 that is)

nasanu

Banned
Have you tried P cars recently? The framerate, still far from perfect, is pretty correct now. very playable. (on PS4 that is)

I am still waiting for it to work with my t500rs. Last time I tried I could not feel what the car was doing at all, gave up. And there is no way I am spending hours customizing the wheel settings, that is the devs job and until they do it the game is broken. After all there is only one t500rs and only one of each car, therefor only one possible correct wheel config.

Top Bottom