• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa: Early Access |OT|

Zeth

I'd be grateful if anyone could post their pad setup; the addition of steering speed has me confused -_-

Spookie

oh this again yay <copious amounts of hoops to jump through>

I've heard it all before and you're not going to change my opinion. In stark contrast to every other game I've played online: iRacing is possibly the most expensive game I've ever seen. They make the Candy Crush devs look like Valve.

Here are some more of my favorite car. :)

What toe/camber are you setting because it feels like a mammoth task to get this car round corners.

Edit: Forgot to ask. There are now adverts for Lambo, Mini AND Porsche on the billboards around the new track. Are they dropping hints that the finally wrestled the licence out of EA? :eek:

Not too excited by the new cars, but I do love the full Silverstone track.

What toe/camber are you setting because it feels like a mammoth task to get this car round corners.

I am still on stock settings, haven't even started messing around with setups in this game. I love that it's one of the more difficult to drive cars. Knowing your braking points and careful accelleration out of the corners are important. Since I switched to a wheel and pedals it is definitely easier to control.

bee

I've heard it all before and you're not going to change my opinion. In stark contrast to every other game I've played online: iRacing is possibly the most expensive game I've ever seen. They make the Candy Crush devs look like Valve.

that's not loads of hoops and if $50 is expensive then i've got nothing, enjoy not playing online pc sims i guess

Spookie

that's not loads of hoops and if $50 is expensive then i've got nothing, enjoy not playing online pc sims i guess

I'd rather invest that $50 in to Dota 2 out of principle Captain Passive/Aggressive.

Not too excited by the new cars, but I do love the full Silverstone track.

I am still on stock settings, haven't even started messing around with setups in this game. I love that it's one of the more difficult to drive cars. Knowing your braking points and careful accelleration out of the corners are important. Since I switched to a wheel and pedals it is definitely easier to control.

I keep getting lost. :(

As for the Ferrari, it's hilarious fun to send it's arse end out round the apex. I can't control it for shit and I normally end up facing the wrong way or stalling it but when I get it right I giggle like a child. :D

This is the best fun I've had in a sim in ages.

Seanspeed

Banned
oh this again yay, don't know anyone who pays full price for iracing, its a $50 sub on offer twice a year , oooh so expensive! cars are $12 and tracks are $15 with upto 25% off if you buy 3+ at a time, gran turismo/forza etc prices make these seem a bargain to me, you can also get credit towards the sub by participating in a certain amount of online races, not expensive
That is still very expensive and in no reality does it make GT/Forza seem like a bargain. $12 for a car now, c'mon. $15 per track. Its quite a bit of money for a very limited amount of content. The racing may be great, but that barrier to entry is going to be off-putting for many.

Anyways, some photos from AC:

EDIT: Damn phone browsers. :)

Zeth

Any recommendations for a pad steering speed setting? I'm not grasping the change, can't find a comfortable setting. Was it like 100% before they added the speed setting?

Spookie

Takes ages to scroll on a phone. Have a heart. :(

Edit - Ty duder. :)

Edit II - EDIT HARDER: Here are the ads I was talking about before:

lambo.jpg

lambo2.jpg

por.jpg

bee

That is still very expensive and in no reality does it make GT/Forza seem like a bargain. $12 for a car now, c'mon. $15 per track. Its quite a bit of money for a very limited amount of content. The racing may be great, but that barrier to entry is going to be off-putting for many.

i thought gt offers the opportunity to buy cars for like £120? (instead of grind them) similar with forza and race room and lots of others. iracing is the biggest pc sim by far so it can't put too many people off and if you're playing that or pretty much any sim, most will be playing on a wheel, so paying £100+ for a plastic wheel is fine but £35 a year sub not ok?

anyway just updated ac gonna go try the new cars

Seanspeed

Banned
i thought gt offers the opportunity to buy cars for like £120? (instead of grind them) similar with forza and race room and lots of others. iracing is the biggest pc sim by far so it can't put too many people off and if you're playing that or pretty much any sim, most will be playing on a wheel, so paying £100+ for a plastic wheel is fine but £35 a year sub not ok?
There's a difference between having to pay real money for cars and having the option to pay real money for cars that you could also just get through normal playing.

Please don't pretend iRacing is remotely similar. Its easy enough to just say you think iRacing is worth it and leave it at that. Trying to come up with misleading arguments about how much of a bargain it is just isn't going to fly, man.

Smokey

Just learned about this game! Been in a racing mood lately between forza 5,rivals,gt 6 today.. How graphically intensive is this? I'm looking to get into my first pc sim. I currently have a g27 but it has been exclusively used for the GT games.

With my PC setup I have 3 monitors and a gtx titan.. So I'd like to run the game in 5760x1080, but I don't have any idea on the games performance.

Definitely thinking of using the GT6 money and getting this from steam.

Please don't pretend iRacing is remotely similar. Its easy enough to just say you think iRacing is worth it and leave it at that. Trying to come up with misleading arguments about how much of a bargain it is just isn't going to fly, man.

Even as a huge fan of iRacing, I still have to agree with the above. You can't put it in the same ballpark as Forza or GT and make comparisons to content costs.

That said, you do get what you pay for with iRacing. You become part of the best online racing community, you get amazingly prompt and courteous customer service in my experience, consistent and reliable matchmaking, and a fair system that holds you accountable for your on-track actions. iRacing is not only a great sim, it's a great service, so the costs are justifiable in my opinion.

Did anyone else notice changes in performance? I'm running otherwise very stable 60fps, but I started to get annoying occasional chops (maybe every 7 secs) after the update.
untitled5wrkm.png

Addnan

Just learned about this game! Been in a racing mood lately between forza 5,rivals,gt 6 today.. How graphically intensive is this? I'm looking to get into my first pc sim. I currently have a g27 but it has been exclusively used for the GT games.

With my PC setup I have 3 monitors and a gtx titan.. So I'd like to run the game in 5760x1080, but I don't have any idea on the games performance.

The game goes for a realistic look like GT which is beautiful. The game can be pretty demanding especially depending on the time of day in the game. Your Titan at trip monitors will probably be fine, but I don't know if you will be able to set it to ultra.

One screen at 1080p GTX 770/3570K@4.5 I can just about maintain 60fps with evening lighting, if I set it to say 12pm I can easily maintain high fps . 5760x1080 with demanding lighting I don't know. You might want to re-buy that second Titan :p

Remember though this game is still in early access so no racing against AI or anything, just hotlapping. GT6 is still a great buy.

bee

780 sli can run it in 3d surround no probs (with 1 car on track :p) so 1 titan should be fine for 2d surround, just been playing it in 2d surround myself but with 8xaa (its a v jaggy game without it) but of course that's with sli, buy netkarpro for 5 euros and try the ac tech preview? is that still an option?

Spookie

Nice spot! Getting Porsche and Lambo into this game would be so fucking good...

Last time I checked they were tied up with EA. But if they, a tiny studio, can get a licence off Ferrari... Well then. I did quiz the guys on twitter but no reply. :(

Zeth

My wheel feels like it's stuck in mud. New controller settings are baffling me. Any suggestions? I can't get it to a playable state, was doing fine before.

edit: Ok it has something to do with Speed Sensitivity; I think it needs to be much lower than I expected. Or it does something other than what I thought.

After some tweaking I've gotten it to where I'm able to round corners again, but I still haven't found a sweet spot like the pre-update settings.

Don't play it, it will spoil Forza and GT for you forever. ;) Yes, the physics are that damn good, especially with a nice wheel like your G27.

The game has two settings that are pretty unoptimized or rather meant for future hardware. Namely the reflections. Even with your Titans you might need to tweak a bit to reach that resolution.

TJP

edit: Ok it has something to do with Speed Sensitivity; I think it needs to be much lower than I expected. Or it does something other than what I thought.

After some tweaking I've gotten it to where I'm able to round corners again, but I still haven't found a sweet spot like the pre-update settings.

I'm still using the original settings (for the G27 wheel) first posted when version 0.1 was released. You can find the originals for some wheels here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=89051989&postcount=34 Perhaps the best idea is to look on the official forum and Race Department as the dev's post there too.

Last time I checked they were tied up with EA. But if they, a tiny studio, can get a licence off Ferrari... Well then. I did quiz the guys on twitter but no reply. :(
Kunos have a great relationship with Ferrari thanks to Ferrari Virtual Academy and I'm sure being an Italian developerment studio helps too. As for the Porsche licence, I've read comments by the COO of one sim developer (I'm not going to name the company) about securing the Porsche licence; suffice to say it's not quite as onerous a task as we are led to believe and may be easier to obtain than Ferrari. This may result from licence agreements being different on PC versus consoles.

Morzak

Did a few rounds around Silverstone with the mclaren and the evora. The mp4-12c feels to me like it doesn't really want to go into corners, needs really slow speeds. The Evora is pretty easy to drive but I like it easy to control and pretty lively.

Seanspeed

Banned
Performance wise, there's a lot of options that are pretty big power hogs. Motion blur, shadow quality and reflection quality can all quickly eat up them fps's quite substantially along with AA solutions as expected. Time of day can mean about a 10-15% difference. As can the difference between cockpit view and hood view.

My settings are:

1080p
Anisotropic Filtering - 16x
Anti-aliasing - 8x
Fast Approximate AA - 2x
Shadow Resolution - High
World Detail - Maximum
Motion Blur - Off
Cubemap resolution(reflections) - High
Faces per Frame(reflections) - 2

Even with a dawn time of day and cockpit view, I'm always above 60fps(average 70-75 or so). So I'm quite happy with this. Motion blur is one thing that will seriously drop your framerates even at medium settings so I just turn it off as I don't really like it that much anyways. This gives me a lot of leeway to adjust my other settings as desired.

Everything maxed would probably bring my machine to its knees, but its not really necessary, either.

GHG

Gold Member
How does this compare to project cars at the moment?

I'm interested in it but I'm having a blast playing around with pCars at the moment and i'm not sure if i can justify buying the early access to this. I'm only playing on a 360 pad as well at the moment as had to sell my G27 in a recent move abroad.

Sell it to me GAF, why should I be playing this right now and what does it have over pCars?

TJP

Sell it to me GAF, why should I be playing this right now and what does it have over pCars?
Have you read this thread at all? Most of the people posting here are smitten with what they've driven and this feedback is nearly universal across the internet.

What does AC have that CARS doesn't? Ferrari for one thing 8) Laser scanned tracks too. Both AC and CARS sims are worth your time (I'm a pCARS member too). Buying AC now means you'll save 20+% on the retail price. Kunos have already stated AC won't be in a Steam sale for a long time after version 1.0 is released.

GHG

Gold Member
Have you read this thread at all? Most of the people posting here are smitten with what they've driven and this feedback is nearly universal across the internet.

What does AC have that CARS doesn't? Ferrari for one thing 8) Laser scanned tracks too. Both AC and CARS sims are worth your time (I'm a pCARS member too). Buying AC now means you'll save 20+% on the retail price. Kunos have already stated AC won't be in a Steam sale for a long time after version 1.0 is released.

Cool & thanks. I'll buy this today then. Was considering buying GT6 for a while but I feel it'll be horrible without a wheel using those spongy DS3 triggers. Plus I cant stand to play on my PS3 much these days as the IQ is so poor on most games. Think I'm making the right choice, especially considering I'll try to nab a PS4 before the new year.

Seanspeed

Banned
How does this compare to project cars at the moment?

I'm interested in it but I'm having a blast playing around with pCars at the moment and i'm not sure if i can justify buying the early access to this. I'm only playing on a 360 pad as well at the moment as had to sell my G27 in a recent move abroad.

Right now? Hard to justify if you've already got pCars to play with. There's still only a small amount of content available at the moment.

But AC is designed to support the modding community, so it should hopefully grow into something much larger as time goes on. The underlying physics and handling model are superb, so some really good groundwork has been laid.

microtubule

McLaren Mp4 on Silverstone GP is a blast!

Using 360 gamepad, make sure you adjust the new setting "Steering Speed". 65 seems pretty good but I might raise it a bit. If you run in cockpit with arms showing you will see a lot less arms flying all over the place.

360 pad settings...

Steering Speed 65-75

The rest are what Shaneus posted early in the thread.

Gamma 4
Filter 0.95
Speed Sensitivity 0.05
Deadzone 0.3

edit: bunch of laps on Imola and steering speed at 85% seems pretty good.

Just did something like 30 laps with the Italia at Silverstone. Trying to tame that thing is a feeling of pure joy. This game is the closest to real racing I ever got in a game, I am actually sweating a bit, holy shit.

Zeth

Using 360 gamepad, make sure you adjust the new setting "Steering Speed". 65 seems pretty good but I might raise it a bit. If you run in cockpit with arms showing you will see a lot less arms flying all over the place.

360 pad settings...

Steering Speed 65-75

The rest are what Shaneus posted early in the thread.

Gamma 4
Filter 0.95
Speed Sensitivity 0.05
Deadzone 0.3

edit: bunch of laps on Imola and steering speed at 85% seems pretty good.

Thanks! This is just about where I ended up after spending yesterday tweaking like crazy. For whatever reason I felt I couldn't get it to be as responsive as the pre-update settings. But I think I've figured it out. It'll have to do for now.

85% feels good. Still feels like there's too much resistance to counter-steering, like the animation is too slow. Might be intended.

p3tran

Banned
getting the new thrustmaster wheel next week, its gonna be glorious for this and forza5
fuck dat dforce gt shit!

p.s.

all guys that have a pc and a pad -let alone a wheel, and are still thinking about buying this... dont be stupid! best pc racing game already, and it only goes up! 8)

psn

getting the new thrustmaster wheel next week, its gonna be glorious for this and forza5
fuck dat dforce gt shit!

DForceGT is not shit, I sold it for a G27 but its definitely not shit..

But I agree that its the best pc sim atm. And I'm also in PCars Alpha.

Zeth

Is a new G27 still a good investment? I haven't followed the wheel stuff at all. I doubt I'd want to spend more than $300 so I figured I'd ask here.

While I'm off topic, how are these things? There seem to be a few in different price ranges. Not willing to get a full seat setup quite yet.

Shaneus

Here are some more of my favorite car. :)
Their lighting is looking damn stunning. Not sure what trickery they're pulling, but nothing leading up to the release of the beta led me to believe it'd look this good. It's the subtleness of GT5/6 lighting with good models, shadows and textures.

FOV and seat position is now saved on a per-car basis? Nice. I've been pestering ISI for that since February,
Niiiice. Not something I'd have thought I'd need, but now I know it's a thing I'm glad it's in (and will curse any sim from now on that doesn't have it).

Anyways, some photos from AC:

EDIT: Damn phone browsers. :)
Again, stunning. If you haven't checked out that mod that adds another "home space", I recommend it. Pretty sure it was posted here, possibly even by you.

That itself might have something to do with Kunos creating the simulator for Ferrari wherever it is. Although it doesn't cover the other big players (particularly McLaren).

That new track is something special. Hitting the first few turns without lifting feels amazing.
Real or fantasy track?

Smokey

The game goes for a realistic look like GT which is beautiful. The game can be pretty demanding especially depending on the time of day in the game. Your Titan at trip monitors will probably be fine, but I don't know if you will be able to set it to ultra.

One screen at 1080p GTX 770/3570K@4.5 I can just about maintain 60fps with evening lighting, if I set it to say 12pm I can easily maintain high fps . 5760x1080 with demanding lighting I don't know. You might want to re-buy that second Titan :p

Remember though this game is still in early access so no racing against AI or anything, just hotlapping. GT6 is still a great buy.

780 sli can run it in 3d surround no probs (with 1 car on track :p) so 1 titan should be fine for 2d surround, just been playing it in 2d surround myself but with 8xaa (its a v jaggy game without it) but of course that's with sli, buy netkarpro for 5 euros and try the ac tech preview? is that still an option?

Don't play it, it will spoil Forza and GT for you forever. ;) Yes, the physics are that damn good, especially with a nice wheel like your G27.

The game has two settings that are pretty unoptimized or rather meant for future hardware. Namely the reflections. Even with your Titans you might need to tweak a bit to reach that resolution.

Cool thanks guys. I went ahead and got GT6 and this. Been playing GT this weekend, but looking forward to finally digging into AC this week.

SparkTR

I decided to buy this instead of GT6 today, thought I'd make sure this brand of 'hardcore' simulator can thrive, and hopefully Polyphony can manage to upgrade the sound and collision system for their next project. Is there a release roadmap anywhere?

Morzak

Is a new G27 still a good investment? I haven't followed the wheel stuff at all. I doubt I'd want to spend more than $300 so I figured I'd ask here.

While I'm off topic, how are these things? There seem to be a few in different price ranges. Not willing to get a full seat setup quite yet.

I don't know if I would go for the G27 at 300$ but they are often on sale for around 200$ and at that price I think it's a hard wheel to beat. I like mine a lot, but after using it a bit, I'm not so fond of the pedals, especially the break, feels mushy.

I'm also looking into a wheelstand, but they all look like they aren't exactly super stable. But stuff like the wheel stand pro, gets good reviews I think so I may have to buy one and try it out.

Seanspeed

Banned

Ok, I'm gonna mess around with these settings today, but that does sound like it would help my issue with changes of direction. The Becketts section and Vale are really tough with some of the higher powered road cars because I'm having trouble getting the car settled so I'm probably being far too cautious through them in order to keep from spinning out.

I really, really hope they patch in some basic online functionality soon. I'm quite desperate to actually RACE. The driving is phenomenal and its almost a tease that I cant experience that in a proper race setting. Still early days, I know.....

EDIT: Oh yea, and I figured out that if you press F11 when in hood/bumper view, you get a rear-view mirror. Which is a huge relief for me as that's my preferred view when I really want to do as well as I can(so when I'm racing, in other words) and I absolutely need to be able to see what's going on around me.

EDIT2:

Ok, the steering speed settings truly do make a difference. I'm still not entirely sure what its doing, but I'm definitely able to push a bit harder now through fast changes of direction. Not that being careful is bad, but I also shouldn't feel like I'm tip-toeing around certain corners.

I still cant figure out what Gamma and Filter do, though. It would be nice if they added some descriptions of what all these settings are and what changing them will do.

Spent some more time in the McLaren since I'm more comfortable driving it now and I *cannot* lock the brakes in that car. They really need to add a 'Braking' part to the Tuning area. It feels totally unnatural to just slam full down on the brakes and keep it there til I'm ready to turn-in. I need to feel like I'm hitting the limits somewhere.

Finally, they've changed the ghost to where it kind of fades away when its close to you and while many will enjoy that, I'd like to have the option to have it back the way it was. Its useful for when I'm trying to fine-tune my line through a corner. Especially a slower one. Not having the ghost there kind of makes it hard to figure out where and why I'm losing/gaining time.

disap.ed

Finally, they've changed the ghost to where it kind of fades away when its close to you and while many will enjoy that, I'd like to have the option to have it back the way it was. Its useful for when I'm trying to fine-tune my line through a corner. Especially a slower one. Not having the ghost there kind of makes it hard to figure out where and why I'm losing/gaining time.

This has already been changed with the last patch, no?

Morzak

Spent some more time in the McLaren since I'm more comfortable driving it now and I *cannot* lock the brakes in that car. They really need to add a 'Braking' part to the Tuning area. It feels totally unnatural to just slam full down on the brakes and keep it there til I'm ready to turn-in. I need to feel like I'm hitting the limits somewhere.

The Mclaren has ABS that can't be disabled, and you can feel it working in game at least with a wheel.

Edit: If you disable the ABS with CTRL+A the tires should lock up under heavy breaking, at least they do for me

Top Bottom