• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa: Early Access |OT|

Morzak

My friend told me that the wheel could work without the AC adapter, just that the FFB wouldn't work. I'm starting to think it need to be pluggued to work.

The steering doesn't work without the AC adapter I just tested it with my G27, everything else works but wheel inputs aren't recognize.

Warewolf

Man, everytime I see this game I'm one step closer to going all in on it. I have no wheel for my PC though. How's the pad support?

Why are people so excited for the F40? Sure, it's a legend, but it's kind of in every game now and drives like a boat...
For that very reason. If it drives like a boat, they've got it wrong. With their Italian roots, good relationship with Ferrari and renowned attention to detail (in physics), we're all expecting Kunos' F40 to be the closest to reality.

TJP

Looking good for Friday:

1421078_783962628296724_531069144_o.jpg

For that very reason. If it drives like a boat, they've got it wrong. With their Italian roots, good relationship with Ferrari and renowned attention to detail (in physics), we're all expecting Kunos' F40 to be the closest to reality.

I see, makes sense! I also did not know that the F40 is actually pretty light, so let's see what Kunos makes of it.

Looking good for Friday:

This car should certainly deliver.

jet1911

The steering doesn't work without the AC adapter I just tested it with my G27, everything else works but wheel inputs aren't recognize.

Now I need to ask my friend to find the adapter now or I'll just nuy a replacement one. Thanks Morzak!

I like how close the 458 sound in the game is actually to the real thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS1DjXye85M#t=18m30s

edit:

This video is probably a better showcase to attest to sound and twitchiness:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9gBZdwRNbY

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=93899527&postcount=3880

ive posted it the other day, its just a test, ive started making videos and i need to learn alot. Anyway i wanted to celebrate this awesome game.

Thumbs up!

I see, makes sense! I also did not know that the F40 is actually pretty light, so let's see what Kunos makes of it.
Indeed, it's often described as a big go-kart due to its lightness and lack of any assistance. But it's a go kart with ridiculous turbos. Chris Harris, who gets to drive fascinating cars all the time, from classic sports cars, through prototype racing machines, and the very latest high-tech supercars, appears to rate the F40 above everything - and there are many other motoring journalists who would say the same.

Worth watching these in anticipation if you've got some time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhR2lXJNg3M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy3GA2VFCik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MDTcXGsjuo

Seanspeed

Banned
Why are people so excited for the F40? Sure, it's a legend, but it's kind of in every game now and drives like a boat...
Its one of the better S-class cars in Forza 4. Very fun to drive and very competitive. Don't know about FM5.

I like how close the 458 sound in the game is actually to the real thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS1DjXye85M#t=18m30s

edit:

This video is probably a better showcase to attest to sound and twitchiness:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9gBZdwRNbY
AC does cockpit sounds very well, but the the other views are often lacking quite badly. Often sounds a little washed out or muted or something. Since I prefer driving in hood view, this can be a bit of a drag at times.

Indeed, it's often described as a big go-kart due to its lightness and lack of any assistance. But it's a go kart with ridiculous turbos. Chris Harris, who gets to drive fascinating cars all the time, from classic sports cars, through prototype racing machines, and the very latest high-tech supercars, appears to rate the F40 above everything - and there are many other motoring journalists who would say the same.

Haha, thanks for those. The last video is amazing. I think my reaction to driving one would be very similar (aka almost wetting myself). Also I did not know that it's actually superior to the F50. Funny that they made the direct successor such a different car. F50 cockpit looks sick though.

Legitimately hyped for the AC F40 now!

Its one of the better S-class cars in Forza 4. Very fun to drive and very competitive. Don't know about FM5.

AC does cockpit sounds very well, but the the other views are often lacking quite badly. Often sounds a little washed out or muted or something. Since I prefer driving in hood view, this can be a bit of a drag at times.

I hear ya, they need to work on the other views, replay sounds are also bad. I used to be hood view only but converted to cockpit at some point and can never go back now.

Morzak

Now I need to ask my friend to find the adapter now or I'll just nuy a replacement one. Thanks Morzak!

pas de problem. I can provide you with the specs of the AC converter if you like, when I'm back from work.

Yeah the sounds outside of the cockpits aren't that great, but they still have time to improve on that, the game got a lot better in the time it's now available.

Zeth

Awesome stuff, just watched them. Super hyped now. The 458 is already starting to feel like a tank :p

microtubule

AI testing looks pretty good! I thought for sure he was racing against a human player.

If these guys put in leaderboard ghosts I will be in race heaven.

Looking forward to the update. I put many miles in the F40 on Forza 4 and GT5. I can only imagine how much better the driving model is with the F40 in AC! and the 599XX...whoa!

Seanspeed

Banned
When the AI outbraked the guy into Turn 1 on the outside and took a wide line, I was like "Oh shit!". But then I noticed that it did the same thing completely unprovoked into the 2nd chicane before the Lesmos and it seems its actually a deficiency in the AI, not something to be excited about.

Not expecting much here, just as I don't for any racing game.

EDIT:

Also, I've been spending more time just working with different cars on the same track to get idea of what does what. The McLaren is quite a rapid car. Several seconds faster than the 458 on pretty much any given track, which matches up to reality fairly well. Its got some massive acceleration once its hooked up. At first I was thinking the brakes just weren't all that great, but then I realized its mainly because I'm arriving at a noticeably higher speed and have to brake earlier than I'd otherwise expect to.

I think the 458 is still more fun to drive and that's genuinely not the Ferrari fanboy in me speaking. It just sounds better and is a bit more lively yet controllable during hard cornering.

SparkTR

Is there a way to assign multiple keys to the same input. For example, the paddles and stick on a racing wheel to both be shifters?

Zeth

I love this game, and I only have a gamepad to play with right now. Figured I might as well ask here: I have a G27 in my cart right now, anything I should add to get started besides a USB hub? I have a desk :p Tempted to downgrade to a DFGT though, is it really that much worse? I'm not a hardcore sim guy yet.

markao

I love this game, and I only have a gamepad to play with right now. Figured I might as well ask here: I have a G27 in my cart right now, anything I should add to get started besides a USB hub? I have a desk :p Tempted to downgrade to a DFGT though, is it really that much worse? I'm not a hardcore sim guy yet.
The biggest difference is in the pedal set, G27 is a lot better. I think that I have sad it before, but in sim equipment, you generally get what you pay for in quality. I cannot judge if you think it is worth the difference, but I do know you will not be disappointed with the G27.

For the PC everything you need should be in the box, only thing you should ask yourself is how were will your pedal set be. Carpet ok, other wise it might slip if you push the brake and you need something to keep it in place (something between wall and pedal set will work)

Zafir

Heh, this is one of today's daily deals on Steam. Didn't expect to see it on sale considering it's early access.

ElementJJ

Banned
Its on Steam sale 25% off if you are thinking about buying it, now is the time!

Im running it on a 5870 1Gb 720p with High-Medium settings, average is around 70fps.

Korezo

Its on Steam sale 25% off if you are thinking about buying it, now is the time!

Im running it on a 5870 1Gb 720p with High-Medium settings, average is around 70fps.

So I thought Kunos said there would be no sale for this game before release. Never again will I buy a early access game again, really was a waste of money.

TJP

So I thought Kunos said there would be no sale for this game before release. Never again will I buy a early access game again, really was a waste of money.
I believe Kunos did indeed state that no sales would occur prior to release and a long time after version 1.0 releases which makes a further 25% discount after just 6 weeks sting a little more that it otherwise might. The sale price is great for those who haven't bought AC yet.

Edit:
Aristotelis Vasilakos said:
Steam "proposes" the offers and then they throw at you a bunch of data and statistics plus first screen visibility so that practically you can't deny the offer

Bbxnhp1IYAAGAA7.jpg

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Have they improved the Oculus Rift implementation since it was first put in?

Definitely will pick this up if it works well on the Rift...

Hmm, yeah, not great if they said that. Still, no regrets from me, the time I already had with the game was so worth it.

I bought it again now to gift it as a Christmas present to my cousin. :D

Anyone here running the game on a 5850 xtreme or some similar card? Want to grab the game but not sure how it will run on my pc.
Also
P3riM7C.png

Hype

Spookie

Maybe it wasn't the choice of the devs? Either way more folks playing AC is great.

Shaneus

Heh, this is one of today's daily deals on Steam. Didn't expect to see it on sale considering it's early access.
Huh, there you go. How much is it?
TBH I'm not even mad. The more people that can get onto this game the better. I'm a little bummed that most people in this thread have been echoing Kunos in saying that it'll never go on sale, but I can't blame them (especially after that quote re: Steam sales). Better to sell 10,000 copies at $5/game profit than 1,000 at $15 profit. I certainly don't feel short-changed, I've gotten that value out of it already.

Just hope the sudden influx of people doesn't skew some of the polls ;)

Drag racing? Niiiice.

Tehehe. Love how seriously these guys do/don't take things. They come off (because they *are*) as being far more jovial than literally all other driving/sim developers at the moment (with the possible exception of Reiza). Polyphony, Turn 10, Simbin, SMS... I think they could learn a lot from these guys. Love them to bits <3
Oooooooh. Like I couldn't be more excited for what these guys are doing.

Dear Ladies, we apologise in advance, we are going to ruin your holidays..
:D

Like I said... love 'em.

Anyone here running the game on a 5850 xtreme or some similar card? Want to grab the game but not sure how it will run on my pc.
Also
P3riM7C.png
I run it on a 5850/5970 combo. Runs well, but as usual with CFX setups... takes a LOT of fucking around. But with a 5850 on it's own, I think you'll be right as far as performance goes. There are certain settings that don't have significant graphical impact but should lighten the load on GPU significantly.

BTW Can we get a mod to change the thread to reflect it's sale status? Is it a sale-long sale or just a daily?

ElementJJ

Banned

Comon now, game is still going to be fantastic, im sure you wont lose sleep over a couple of quid.

So AC have put on FB:

The fourth release of Assetto Corsa will be available for free on the 20h December. The new version includes 4 new cars, 2 new tracks, more than sixty new achievements, a new achievement system, a new environment for showroom mode and several new features, including the Drag race mode and much more!

Wow, and there is a surprise coming on the 24th too!

TJP

BTW Can we get a mod to change the thread to reflect it's sale status? Is it a sale-long sale or just a daily?
It's a daily sale as Aris explained in my post above, Steam made them 'an offer they couldn't deny'...how ironic. A picture of Gaben at the meeting to put AC on sale:

brando.jpg

Megasoum

Banned
Is there a way to assign multiple keys to the same input. For example, the paddles and stick on a racing wheel to both be shifters?

This is something that annoys me with almost all simulation games. It's such a simple thing to do and yet almost none of the supports it. The workaround I use is with the tool "joy2key". I map right paddle and pull on the stick to the letter "U" and the left paddle and the push on the stick to the letter "D" and then set the game accordingly.

Also
P3riM7C.png

Santa's sleigh!

Morzak

Comon now, game is still going to be fantastic, im sure you wont lose sleep over a couple of quid.

Their stance was no discounts until way after release, so yes I can understand the people that feel shafted and don't like it one bit. I'm also not so sure how good that really is for those companies, They basically selling it for 50% of the final retail price now already. It be interesting to see how much those Early access games actually sell after release.

Morzak

So, is there a career mode to this yet?

Nope, just you and the track at the moment. No AI no multiplayer, this will come if you are really interested in the title it will probably not get cheaper but maybe the it will be again discounted on the next Steam sale.

Eusis

It's a daily sale as Aris explained in my post above, Steam made them 'an offer they couldn't deny'...how ironic. A picture of Gaben at the meeting to put AC on sale:

brando.jpg
Definitely waiting to see if Wasteland 2 comes up, but I think the Kickstarter baggage may undermine that, or at a minimum bring up a $5 savings (there, now for a limited time you can pay EXACTLY what a backer did!)

I wonder if it's that they put it on sale but in exchange get ALL the money? If it's typically a 33% share then that means they actually gain money per sale during this day.

AJLma

Just messed around with about 5 of the different cars. Driving feels REALLY good on the 360 controller, and this game easily has one of the best implementations of rumble in any game I've played with the 360 pad.

Shaneus

Are they with tweaked controller settings, AJLima? I think there are a few in this thread that would appreciate any pad settings if they're any good :)

I feel like I've looked into that golden suitcase from Pulp Fiction. That looks glorious (and IMO better than pCARS).
It looks very nice at times but I think it's really not at PCARS, F5 or GT6's level when it comes to photorealistic lighting and material shaders. It has quite a stylised look - I can immediately recognise any AC screenshot as being from AC, whereas there are certain shots from the other three that could pass as each other's. GT is still the most natural looking for me, ignoring the struggling hardware of course. The one thing that AC needs to change is the paintwork shader. It's too damn shiny. Run the McLaren in silver paint and watch a replay. It looks like a chrome paint job. It's the same with all colours, but most apparent when you look at silver. GT's shaders are so much better, for all parts of the car, but particularly the windows and the paintwork. I'm not sure if it's an easy fix - the last AC update seemed to make it worse.

AJLma

Are they with tweaked controller settings, AJLima? I think there are a few in this thread that would appreciate any pad settings if they're any good :)

I haven't gotten to deep into it yet, I'm just playing with the default setup/Gamer mode.

Top Bottom