• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa: Early Access |OT|

Sorry if these are repeated questions, but I have an old Driving Force Pro from my GT4 days and a 360 Wireless Racing Wheel (with an Xbox Wireless Adaptor) Will either of these work well enough with this game? If so, is one of them preferable to the other. Thinking of picking this game up on Steam sale.
The DFP will work for sure. Don't know about the other... a wireless wheel seems like a bad idea, so I'd pick the DFP anyway.

Ally1987

Do you have an ATI/AMD GPU? I found I had a problem with vsync causing some shitty issues with screen tearing in other games (never had a chance to test it with AC), were only resolved by going back to an older driver (13.12 beta v2). That might be something to look at.

Nah. i have gtx titan... and the problem is solved here anyway :)

Shaneus

Is there any kind of dynamic v-sync setting for nvidia GPUs? Try that, I always have luck with that when I use RadeonPro.

Eusis

No offense, but why would you buy it then? AC is sim racing at its best, but it is still the early access version, thus many features and modes are missing. I would say the game is already a dream for car and racing enthusiasts, but you should at least have some sympathy for sims.
This is why I've hesitated and haven't bought it yet. It DOES sound like it's really good, but I'm not that serious of racing sim fan and half of this was spurned by renting and liking GT6. But I suspect I'd be better off buying GT6 for now and getting this later.

Seanspeed

Banned
It was part of their pre-release press.
Cool, thanks. Cant really complain. The content is such high quality, its worth a bit of money. As long as I'm not paying iRacing prices!

I've been getting very feint tearing in what seems like just the distant background. Tried framerate limiter and vsync seperately with no luck. Might have to double check some Nvidia settings, but everything is set to off or "use application setting".
I experience a fair amount of tearing myself. But I cant turn on vsync. Not with a game like this. I should probably look into triple-buffering, but I can be a bit lazy about things.

I experience a fair amount of tearing myself. But I cant turn on vsync. Not with a game like this. I should probably look into triple-buffering, but I can be a bit lazy about things.
Triple buffering is an addition to v-sync, so you get the input lag from v-sync plus a bit more. Not recommended.

subwilde

Yeah the frame limiter definitely reduces tearing. I'm just disappointed I can't get RadeonPro working, it just crashes on double click.

Performance seems to get better and better. World detail at max, 8x aa, and high shadows seem to get around 120 fps at 1080p. Hovers around 60 on my 1440p display.

Yeah the frame limiter definitely reduces tearing.
That's debateable. The limiter will make the framerate more consistent, which might reduce tearing if you were getting really variable fps, but if you run the limiter at exactly the same as the monitor refresh rate, that tends to make the tearing appear at exactly the same height all the time, which can be even more noticeable. Putting it at a different value helps, but makes the game look more stuttery. There is no ideal solution unfortunately. I go with the limiter at exactly 60 like my monitor, which gives me loads of noticeable tearing right in my eye line, but at least the game looks smooth (like v-sync) so I live with it.

G-sync will solve all of this, can't come soon enough! It's gonna make a huge difference to sims.

ElementJJ

Banned
I also noticed better performance, I ran 1080p medium to high without dropping below 60fps on my 5870 1Gb for the last hour or so. Previously running 720p with frame dips every so often.

I'm back to 720p with 8xAA and 16xAF now as my TV is 720P and the HUD is too tiny at 1080p.

I'm running the limiter at 59 at 60hz, hardly any tearing, no stuttering at all. Pioneer Kuro maybe helping here.

The E30 is a love isn't it? Didn't get a chance to try the 599 or Z4 yet. Looking forward to it though.

The F40... I actually stopped half way through a lap, and quit out because I had to have confirmation that a 2400 pound supercar couldn't possibly have such bad brakes. There's just no way. Google F40 brakes. First hit - F40 brakes are terrible and borderline dangerous. I had no idea! Small and unassisted.

The junk default tires don't help matters at all either.

microtubule

Interesting about the F40 brakes. Anyways, just did a few laps around Mugello with the F40 and it was much more enjoyable with the non-default tires and 360 gamepad.

TJP

The F40... I actually stopped half way through a lap, and quit out because I had to have confirmation that a 2400 pound supercar couldn't possibly have such bad brakes. There's just no way. Google F40 brakes. First hit - F40 brakes are terrible and borderline dangerous. I had no idea! Small and unassisted.
Very interesting link!

Watch the following video from about 4 minutes onwards..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MDTcXGsjuo Chris's borrowed car must have undergone a brake upgrade because he describes them as 'good'. I may be able to replicate the powerslides he manages in the video 8)

Shaneus

I would love to see Ferrari make a car that's as raw as the F40 was.

Also, dat styling. I'm not so flash on the front (don't hate, don't love) but the rear is so iconic and sexy... ungh, I love it.

I wanna see some drift gameplay with the F40. :p

Here I leave you a gameplay with two of the new cars added today in Assetto Corsa, are the Ferrari 599XX Evolution and Ferrari F40, and the lap is also in a new circuit added today, Monza Circuit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRrzoDpbeKs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0dDDAY8NeQ

I hope you enjoy it!

Nice driving!

Performance seems to get better and better. World detail at max, 8x aa, and high shadows seem to get around 120 fps at 1080p. Hovers around 60 on my 1440p display.

It better does, still scared to see what happens to my performance when we have multiple cars on track.

Morzak

The E30 is a love isn't it? Didn't get a chance to try the 599 or Z4 yet. Looking forward to it though.

The junk default tires don't help matters at all either.

The E30 grp A is just amazing, It's so much fun it just reacts so well to all inputs and it's so quick and agile hell of a car, that works on the bigger tracks and on the smaller ones. I really can see me using that thing the most out of the current cars.

Yeah breaks on the F40 aren't that great and you are at pretty high speeds to add the low grip tyres and you have to slow that thing down way earlier then expected. I'm still having fun with it, after you slowed it down it's a blast and to manage the turbo lag is nice, I feel that outside of the breaks it drives nice on the modern street tyres. The Step 3 version of it is just madness.......

I didn't drive much of the 599 but what I did it seems to be amazing, incredibly fast and my god that thing just turns in and is precise, It feels a bit like the Zonda R but way better.

This update really has blown me away the cars are great and they also did something to the 458, feels better now then before and has a S3 upgrade.

Alright, so I ran some "extensive" performance tests on my rig. To have a worst case performance scenario I recommend recording a one lap replay of Monza 1966. Then you can mess around with your settings and just load the replay from the main menu without the need to go into the game.

Performance seems to be improved indeed. I was not able to run MSAA @60fps locked previously but I am now. So I switched from 6xFXAA to 4XMSAA. The improvement in picture quality is worth it.

Here are my current settings. OC single GTX680 + 3770K @4,2.

60w9uhj.png

I could up the world detail setting to maximum and faces per frame to 6 if I would settle with FXAA. However, I am not really able to see a difference, while the added clarity of MSAA is a huge difference to my eyes. Max shadow resolution and reflection resolution are an absolute no go for the moment.

I will not turn off V-Sync, tearing destroys every game for me. Waiting for G-Sync indeed.

TJP

Alright, so I ran some "extensive" performance tests on my rig.
I don't know if you've seen them but I posted graphical settings tips from Kunos in post 100: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=89194285&postcount=100

Regarding your motion blur settings, Stefano posted the following a while back
Motion blur is VERY intensive, expecially with AA enabled. The 8 settings is plain crazy, something that will be maybe possible to enable in 1-2 years time... MB at 1-2 give a very good visual result without the crazy FPS hit... when using MB try also to disable AA and enable FXAA instead.. it might give you better results.

That said, if you're happy with the settings you posted ignore my dribble and keep on lapping 8)

I don't know if you've seen them but I posted graphical settings tips from Kunos in post 100: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=89194285&postcount=100

Regarding your motion blur settings, Stefano posted the following a while back

That said, if you're happy with the settings you posted ignore my dribble and keep on lapping 8)

Yes, saw them ;) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94284052&postcount=794 I felt it was time for another test.

As for motion blur, it really didn't seem to make a difference on my rig, so I cranked it up to the max. Will have another look at it though, that was some time ago, maybe it was changed.

Edit: Had another look. Turning down motion blur to 1 or 2 does improve overall performance. However, it does not prevent the huge dips that do happen during Monza 66 replays. They are connected to shadow res and world detail for me.
That said, this scenario is really a worst case situation and it might be slightly misguided to optimize for that setting. People who don't care for performance in replays might be better off with more relaxed settings as in-game performance is usually better.

Anyway, this will all change when we have more cars on track... :D

Seanspeed

Banned
Do what you can to crank the AA up to 8x, man. It really makes a difference over 4x.

I run MSAA at 8x and the FXAA at 2x with a GTX670. You say the motion blur isn't hurting your performance, but it made a pretty damn severe difference for me. It nearly halved my fps just at 5!

Morzak

Will have to test motion blur, myself have it turned off, because I normally despise it. Running Max everything it runs mostly at the fragmenting of 120 on my 780

Do what you can to crank the AA up to 8x, man. It really makes a difference over 4x.

I run MSAA at 8x and the FXAA at 2x with a GTX670. You say the motion blur isn't hurting your performance, but it made a pretty damn severe difference for me. It nearly halved my fps just at 5!

Unlike you I'm running V-Sync, so I have to compromize a bit more. In the end I am ok with 4x and a perfect 60.

And yes, motion blur does make quite a difference on average framerate, but it is not the setting that causes huge random dips during some replays. I hope this will be ironed out at some point.

Seanspeed

Banned
Unlike you I'm running V-Sync, so I have to compromize a bit more. In the end I am ok with 4x and a perfect 60.

And yes, motion blur does make quite a difference on average framerate, but it is not the setting that causes huge random dips during some replays. I hope this will be ironed out at some point.
Fair enough man!

Ive been using this unofficial leaderboard plugin, makes racing more interesting, Try it out guys.

http://www.radiators-champ.com/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&Itemid=5&task=view.download&catid=17&cid=118
I saw this and was kinda interested. If more people here got on, it could be pretty cool. I'll download it. I am Seanspeed99 on Steam if anybody wants to look me up or keep an eye out. Also I could use some Steam friends anyways, if anybody wants to add me on Steam.

Hopefully they'll have some official leaderboards pretty soon.

EDIT: Live Timing app works pretty good!

And I give up on Monza. I cant do it. I'm finding it impossible to keep my car in a straight line under heavy braking. It just bounces around everywhere and I'm often over to the other side of the track when I need to start turning in. Which is another huge problem. I cant get the car settled to turn-in. Especially going into Ascari, I spin out more than half the time because I cant get the car calmed down and ready to turn. Its impossible for me. I can brake real early and tiptoe through the corner, but that's no good when I'm trying to do decent lap times and attack the corners. I could *never* race like this because I'd be spinning out and crashing into others all over the place.

Not sure what to do about this. I suppose I can try raising the ride height and soften the dampening a bit to get it a bit more calm over the bumps during heavy braking, but I'm not sure that's gonna be enough.

ElementJJ

Banned
Yeah it works pretty good for now, im JasjeetS, i will add you on steam SeanSpeed.

I think if you turn down the road effects a little, 30-40% keeping the 599xx straight is a little easier.

Zeth

Love the new cars, with the exception of the F40 - but I'll be attempting to tackle it again when my G27 arrives next week. Have to say though, the 458 might be my new favorite since the update added the stage 3 upgrade which lops off a couple hundred lbs and improves the suspension/ride-height. Very nimble. Feels much more like a track car now. The reduced weight is very obvious.

Do you guys playing with controllers use auto throttle-blip? I've been doing it manually in anticipation of my new setup but it's definitely not ideal on a controller. If anyone is using manual clutch + blip, how do you map clutch and shift?

Seanspeed

Banned
Yeah it works pretty good for now, im JasjeetS, i will add you on steam SeanSpeed.

I think if you turn down the road effects a little, 30-40% keeping the 599xx straight is a little easier.
I like the road effects normally, though. Its just Monza. The braking zones are so damn bumpy. I got some slight improvements by adjusting ride height and the differential, but I'm still finding it pretty close to impossible to manage consistently.

Love the new cars, with the exception of the F40 - but I'll be attempting to tackle it again when my G27 arrives next week. Have to say though, the 458 might be my new favorite since the update added the stage 3 upgrade which lops off a couple hundred lbs and improves the suspension/ride-height. Very nimble. Feels much more like a track car now. The reduced weight is very obvious.

Do you guys playing with controllers use auto throttle-blip? I've been doing it manually in anticipation of my new setup but it's definitely not ideal on a controller. If anyone is using manual clutch + blip, how do you map clutch and shift?
Oooh yea, the 458 handles like a dream with the upgrade.

BUT, it comes with super ridiculous lock problems that I have with a few other cars. Around Vallelunga, the tighter corners in the 2nd half of the lap are pretty close to impossible to get around without crawling to a fucking halt.

This is seriously annoying and needs fixing badly because it renders certain car+track combinations impossible to drive properly with a controller. I can up the steering sensitivity a notch to get rid of the problem, but then everything becomes far too twitchy for me.

And yes, I use the auto-blip with a controller. Is there even a way to map a clutch button? :/

Try the F40 with 90s slicks its much better.
I'll have a go with that. Haven't even messed around with different tires on anything yet.

ElementJJ

Banned
The 458 also has default street tyres and optional slicks in S1 setup. Slicks make it handle noticeably better. The S3 has better suspension and weight reduction along with better tyres.

Definately check the tyre selection before trying cars out because the stock option can be a bit awful.

Morzak

I'll have a go with that. Haven't even messed around with different tires on anything yet.

I didn't mess with any setup changes until now, except for the tires and they make a huge difference, they really show how overpowered those supercars are for street tires. You can also test the s3 version of the F40 it's insane but the modern semi slick tires make it stick way more (until it doesn't.....) and the turbo lag is less pronounced in that version. But still 600+ HP and 700+ NM in a 1150 kg car is just scary.

TJP

Spotted on the pCARS forum: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GVdE4Z6ELA Apparently it's very easy to add AI into AC right now but people aren't saying how at the moment; a picture of a mixed grid of cars was posted on the pCARS forum too which I can't link to here. Edit: a quick browse of the Race Department website reveals they have instructions on how to do this already...hardly big news 8)

Edit #2: it works:

Assetto Corsa will remain at 10% off the 'normal' early access price for the remainder of the Steam sale according to Stefano on Twitter.

What a beautiful game. I drove the 458 a bit, then switched to the Indy car. So fun.

I turned off all assists, Traction Control at 70% and Throttle Blip on (what is this?). Can't remember other settings.

I hadn't used my Fanatec GT2 w CS Pedals for a PC racer so it took a while to setup properly, installing drivers and all that. Had to daisy chain my keyboard to the wheel because I used HDMI out to my 60" HDTV to play. But got it working!

Can't wait for more. I use a BT keyboard at my side but unfortunately had to daisy chain my mouse (can't find my wireless) so eventually I'll get a 25' USB cord and a wireless mouse, and I'll be good to go.

Lot of work to get going ... but totally worth it.

Seanspeed

Banned
I didn't mess with any setup changes until now, except for the tires and they make a huge difference, they really show how overpowered those supercars are for street tires. You can also test the s3 version of the F40 it's insane but the modern semi slick tires make it stick way more (until it doesn't.....) and the turbo lag is less pronounced in that version. But still 600+ HP and 700+ NM in a 1150 kg car is just scary.
600hp in the upgade, too? Damn.

Spotted on the pCARS forum: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GVdE4Z6ELA Apparently it's very easy to add AI into AC right now but people aren't saying how at the moment; a picture of a mixed grid of cars was posted on the pCARS forum too which I can't link to here. Edit: a quick browse of the Race Department website reveals they have instructions on how to do this already...hardly big news 8)

Oh shit! How is it? I don't want to try this out if its really bad at the moment.

So any ideas on the 24th surprise? Maybe AI considering recent goings on?
I would guess a new manufacturer license.

Zeth

I've been using an FoV of around 50 for my single 24" 1080p monitor. I'm about 2.5ft away with a controller. Should I go wider? Just looking for a baseline, curious what others use.

Seanspeed

Banned
I've been using an FoV of around 50 for my single 24" 1080p monitor. I'm about 2.5ft away with a controller. Should I go wider? Just looking for a baseline, curious what others use.
There's no right answer. Just tradeoffs between what looks 'right' from an accuracy standpoint, sense of speed and visibility.

Personally, I'm all too happy to sacrifice realism for visibility and sense of speed. But then again, thats why I mainly drive in hood view!

Use an FoV calculator like this one.

There are three boxes that say "side". The left one and right one are the distance from your eyes to the left and right side of your monitor (viewable sides). The bottom "side" is the viewable height of your monitor. Hit compute and the angle number at the top of the triangle is your vertical FoV, which is what AC uses (as opposed to horizontal FoV).

It's going to be lower than what you have it. If it's too low for your own comfort, I suggest tweaking it a little bit, but to stray too far (+/- 10 maybe).

Give a watch to this if you want a good explanation.

Whoa! I can't wait to give it a try!

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Just a couple of quick questions:

Is there any way to disable the HUD?

And more importantly: every time I try and lower my resolution below 1080p to squeeze out more fps, the game runs in a box, as if it doesn't scale up. I don't have the best rig by a long shot so I'd prefer to keep it @ 900p to hit a solid 60fps with effects etc. but I won't unless I can get full screen.

Lastly, the game controls really, really incredibly. I say this using only the 360 controller (I used one of the recommended settings from this thread).

kudoboi

so steam just downloaded a patch for this game. any idea on what they added or changed?

edit: nvm. nothing much

- Fixed rear ARB setup screen for BMW M3 E30 Group A
- Modified FFB values for F40 (fixes steer oscillation on straight line)
- Fixed hotlap penalties
- Fixed steam interface interaction with mouse hiding
- Fixed Drag Race car moving ahead on restart
- Fixed crash after loading car for players with long nickNames

Top Bottom