• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa: Early Access |OT|

Its on Steam sale 25% off if you are thinking about buying it, now is the time!

Im running it on a 5870 1Gb 720p with High-Medium settings, average is around 70fps.

I run it on a 5850/5970 combo. Runs well, but as usual with CFX setups... takes a LOT of fucking around. But with a 5850 on it's own, I think you'll be right as far as performance goes. There are certain settings that don't have significant graphical impact but should lighten the load on GPU significantly.

Ok thank you guys, will grab it later today. I'll be happy with 60+ fps on medium settings.

SparkTR

just bought this from steam sales. i don't really like racing sims but hopefully i don't regret this purchase

Get a wheel, I didn't used to think much of sims but even an entry level wheel makes racing feel more like an experience than a game. Like going to the arcade and playing Daytona when I was younger except a million times more advanced, it's making me addicted to this game.

Zeth

This is the game that pushed me to buy a wheel. G27 should be delivered tomorrow if all goes well. So damn excited - thanks AC! :)

kudoboi

Get a wheel, I didn't used to think much of sims but even an entry level wheel makes racing feel more like an experience than a game. Like going to the arcade and playing Daytona when I was younger except a million times more advanced, it's making me addicted to this game.

i would get one if they didnt cost 200 to 300 bucks and if i had enough space on the table for it. i don't see the point in spending 300 for 2 games ( assetto corsa and project cars which i rarely play)

just bought this from steam sales. i don't really like racing sims but hopefully i don't regret this purchase

No offense, but why would you buy it then? AC is sim racing at its best, but it is still the early access version, thus many features and modes are missing. I would say the game is already a dream for car and racing enthusiasts, but you should at least have some sympathy for sims.

If I buy it on Steam today, will it work cor the Steam Machine in the future?

Steam machine? For sure. SteamOS? Who knows if they'll port it over. Anything is possible, but there's no sign that they will at this point. The Windows version is keeping them busy for the moment! I'm sure they'll take a look at all the platforms at some point down the road. pCARS and presumably iRacing with be on the OS, so there's incentive to do it too. I still believe they'll strongly consider PS4/X1 as well.

markao

Steam machine? For sure. SteamOS? Who knows if they'll port it over. Anything is possible, but there's no sign that they will at this point. The Windows version is keeping them busy for the moment! I'm sure they'll take a look at all the platforms at some point down the road. pCARS and presumably iRacing with be on the OS, so there's incentive to do it too. I still believe they'll strongly consider PS4/X1 as well.
One added nuance, if you buy a Steam machine it will run SteamOS, but yes you can install windows on it if you want to.

Ok, I picked this up because like someone else said I'm waiting on pCARS but that's a long way out and I really need a racing fix. I recorded some gameplay using twitch last night. I'm on Silverstone with the BMW M3 with nearly all assists off. For some reason ABS can't be disabled on some cars. I played the track once with the Ferrari 458 but with all assists off it proved to be a bit too much car for me on that track.

Anyway this is a longer vid of me with the BMW. Feels really good with the 360 controller and you'll see that I get more used to the car and track the more laps I put into it.

http://www.twitch.tv/my89z24/c/3422492.

So I just purchased this, is there any Fanatec GT2 wheel setup preferences somewhere? I'm pretty sure my PC should run this fairly well (DDR3 - 6Gb, i5-3570k, SSD, the one bottleneck I have is the HD 6870).

Really looking forward to this. I've been jone-sing for a good racing sim since I can't get into pCARS, GT6 is on a system I no longer own and DriveClub (less of a sim) has been delayed.

My wheel will not go to waste! I'm going to out this to my 60" HDTV ... oh man. It sucks, just gave the kid an early present of Minecraft (he's 8 and all his friends are playing it) since I didn't use the PC much and now I get this ... bad timing kid!

i would get one if they didnt cost 200 to 300 bucks and if i had enough space on the table for it. i don't see the point in spending 300 for 2 games ( assetto corsa and project cars which i rarely play)

Dude, get a refund. If you don't like racing sims and you aren't going to get a wheel for it, you're basically just throwing your money away. I can't fathom making that decision. Especially since it's an early access game, it's bare bones! See if you can get your money back.

kudoboi

No offense, but why would you buy it then? AC is sim racing at its best, but it is still the early access version, thus many features and modes are missing. I would say the game is already a dream for car and racing enthusiasts, but you should at least have some sympathy for sims.

well there is always a start for everything. i didn't really play project cars because i bought the junior package and couldn't unlock all the cars and tracks. so far after playing this for 1 hour, im actually having some fun with it. i wouldn't pay 59 bucks for it but for 29 bucks its alright. i also like games that have constant new content anyway

Seanspeed

Banned
Ok, I picked this up because like someone else said I'm waiting on pCARS but that's a long way out and I really need a racing fix. I recorded some gameplay using twitch last night. I'm on Silverstone with the BMW M3 with nearly all assists off. For some reason ABS can't be disabled on some cars. I played the track once with the Ferrari 458 but with all assists off it proved to be a bit too much car for me on that track.

Anyway this is a longer vid of me with the BMW. Feels really good with the 360 controller and you'll see that I get more used to the car and track the more laps I put into it.

http://www.twitch.tv/my89z24/c/3422492.
You can press Crtl+A while in-game to disable ABS. I wish I didn't have to do that everytime with certain cars, but it does the trick for now.

Well, kinda. I still need some brake setup settings. I know I can change my front/rear balance, but I'd like to be able to adjust overall braking pressure for certain cars.

well there is always a start for everything. i didn't really play project cars because i bought the junior package and couldn't unlock all the cars and tracks. so far after playing this for 1 hour, im actually having some fun with it. i wouldn't pay 59 bucks for it but for 29 bucks its alright. i also like games that have constant new content anyway
I hope you keep enjoying it man. We should be getting an update sometime within the next couple hours with more cars and tracks.

Afro

Downloading now. How will I react after putting 72 hours into Forza 5 and this being my first PC Racing sim?

Seanspeed

Banned
Downloading now. How will I react after putting 72 hours into Forza 5 and this being my first PC Racing sim?
More work having to manage weight transfer mainly.

Its mostly the same idea otherwise.

EDIT: Mouse steering in the update! I hope they put a lot of effort into it.

Not really

Full update log:

- New car BMW M3 E30 Group A
- New car BMW Z4 GT3
- New car Ferrari 599XX Evoluzione
- New car Ferrari F40
- New track Autodromo di Monza
- New bonus track Drag race 1000m and 400m
- Upgrade Ferrari 458 S3
- Upgrade Ferrari F40 S3
- Modifications on fuel consume of cars with turbo engines
- Modifications on the engine rev limiter of BMW M3 E92 Drift
- Modifications on Tatuus FA01 setup packer range
- New Special Events Mode with medals and achievements implemented
- Shared memory struct updated
- Drag Race mode implemented
- Camera on board :: resets far plane
- Replay :: fixed leaderboard app in replay mode
- Fixed triple screen change gear animations going too fast
- Improved all change gear animations
- Screen capture (F8) allows to select screenshot between PNG,JPG,BMP
- Time Attack checkpoints hidden in replays
- Mouse steering implemented
- Fixed Triple Screen in Track cameras (F3)
- Fixed large replay loading
- Camera Random (F2) improvements
- Fixed Tyre Tester app in replay mode

Good to hear that!

dsk1210

Quick question guys.

I do not have my wheel at the moment, thinking about picking this up and using a 360 controller, how well does the 360 controller work, similar to forza sensitivity wise?

Been a while since I have had a decent racing game, missed the Pcars backer, will pick up the full release when it become available, how do you reckon assetto holds up?

I am going to get my wheel back soon.

Mouse steering? AW YISS

giphy.gif

Seanspeed

Banned
Quick question guys.

I do not have my wheel at the moment, thinking about picking this up and using a 360 controller, how well does the 360 controller work, similar to forza sensitivity wise?

Been a while since I have had a decent racing game, missed the Pcars backer, will pick up the full release when it become available, how do you reckon assetto holds up?

I am going to get my wheel back soon.
Nothing in the world will ever feel as good as Forza with a controller. They have some magic going on there that nobody else has ever managed to capture.

But it does work decently, yes. Sensitivity is adjustable.

Seanspeed

Banned
Oh my god, the E30 Group A is a fucking riot. There are going to be leagues dedicated to this car. Its so good. Sounds amazing and handles so well.

Also, there's AI in drag race mode! It aint much, but its cool seeing another car finally. haha

After 1 lap with each car:

F40: After such expectation and even though I prefer 'period' cars to modern ones, I was disappointed by the drive. And the sound did nothing for me.
F599: Lots of fun, felt quite lairy and sounded great.
BMW Z4 GT3: plenty of grip but challenging, my favourite car so far in AC (my fav. in rF2 too) and best sound of the 4 new cars
BMW M3 E30: lots of fun, especially when sideways.

I really need to get to bed though, BOOOOO.

So, for those who have played a lot of the PC sim racers (I have played none, only the console games like Forza and GT) how does this compare with other sim racers?

Once I started looking to the PC for my addiction I started seeing a few options, and unsure of where they all stack up. This was the first with a decent "jump in" price and at a time where I want to see the longevity of my Fanatec setup go a bit further. But compared to things like iracing, rfactor, and pcars, where does this fit in the mix?

And what's the plan for the future? I assume DLC but are they going to charge per car/track like some of the others? Just curious what I'm getting myself into here, lol.

Seanspeed

Banned
After 1 lap with each car:

F40: After such expectation and even though I prefer 'period' cars to modern ones, I was disappointed by the drive. And the sound did nothing for me.
F599: Lots of fun, felt quite lairy and sounded great.
BMW Z4 GT3: plenty of grip but challenging, my favourite car so far in AC (my fav. in rF2 too) and best sound of the 4 new cars
BMW M3 E30: lots of fun, especially when sideways.

I really need to get to bed though, BOOOOO.
I have pretty similar impressions:

F40: Impossible to drive. At least with a controller and no driver aids. That turbo lag is killer. You stamp on the throttle and its normal power progression but then all the sudden it jumps a few thousand rpm within a blink of an eye and you're in a wall. I can keep it on the track, but it takes too much caution. Not fun to push hard because the turbo means power spikes everywhere.

F599XX: This shit is laser-guided. Seriously, it turns like nothing else. Be careful on the throttle, but otherwise, very fun to drive.

Z4 GT3: All round capable. Great traction, nicely balanced, easy to push hard. Lovely.

E30 Group A: Like I said, just ridiculous fun. Definitely my favourite car in the game. Handling balance is completely neutral. Its easy to drive, but not too easy. Basically, it does exactly what you want it to do and wont bite back hard if you do edge it over the limit.

3 of the 4 cars added are absolutely magnificent to drive. My kind of cars. The F40 is a terrible disappointment.

Haven't even driven Monza yet.

So, for those who have played a lot of the PC sim racers (I have played none, only the console games like Forza and GT) how does this compare with other sim racers?

Once I started looking to the PC for my addiction I started seeing a few options, and unsure of where they all stack up. This was the first with a decent "jump in" price and at a time where I want to see the longevity of my Fanatec setup go a bit further. But compared to things like iracing, rfactor, and pcars, where does this fit in the mix?

And what's the plan for the future? I assume DLC but are they going to charge per car/track like some of the others? Just curious what I'm getting myself into here, lol.
Updates should be free. And this is a game meant to be supported by the modding community like rFactor. You shouldn't have to pay a cent more.

Sweeeeet! Can't wait to bust some laps later.

Love the car impressions. Thanks for those.

Updates should be free. And this is a game meant to be supported by the modding community like rFactor. You shouldn't have to pay a cent more.

This is actually not entirely true. Early Access buyers with get the first DLC pack free (Spa and cars). Further content from Kunos will paid DLC. When the mod tools come obviously things will open up, but the key word is when. Soon? Not soon? Nobody has any idea.

Early Access buyers with get the first DLC pack free (Spa and cars). Further content from Kunos will paid DLC. When the mod tools come obviously things will open up, but the key word is when. Soon? Not soon? Nobody has any idea.
Gotcha, thanks for the info. Is there a GAF Steam community for this or is there not enough people yet?

I'm really excited ... holy shit I've been watching some of the vids posted in here (thanks ADRIAN) and I can't wait to fire this thing up!

Seanspeed

Banned
This is actually not entirely true. Early Access buyers with get the first DLC pack free (Spa and cars). Further content from Kunos will paid DLC. When the mod tools come obviously things will open up, but the key word is when. Soon? Not soon? Nobody has any idea.
Are you sure? Where did you hear that? I wasn't under that impression, but that's ok. Content released so far has been absolutely top-quality.

Morzak

Didn't have time to drive all the cars yet, my impressions so far.

F40 - It's a handful. The first thing you get with a wheel is huge steering resistance, welcome to the old breed of supercars. The thing accelerates like mad as soon as the turbo kicks in and likes to kick out it's tail if you provoke it, but I feel it's pretty catchable. The turbo lag is only bad if you don't keep the RPM's up, I still have to get used to it but I have fun with it. I overdrive it to much, I just am shocked at how fast I'm approaching corners in a car from that era.

Z4 GT3 - This car reinforces my impression that the race cars have a bit too much grip under braking and acceleration, I prefer the 4/5 as far as race-cars go.

E30 M3 Group A - Oh my what a fun little car, if people thought the normal E30 was fun, this one takes it to the next level, it want's to go sideways and is really controllable while doing it, even for a derp like me. I can see me racing that thing if multiplayer comes out.

Didn't have time to drive all the cars yet, my impressions so far.

F40 - It's a handful. The first thing you get with a wheel is huge steering resistance, welcome to the old breed of supercars. The thing accelerates like mad as soon as the turbo kicks in and likes to kick out it's tail if you provoke it, but I feel it's pretty catchable. The turbo lag is only bad if you don't keep the RPM's up, I still have to get used to it but I have fun with it. I overdrive it to much, I just am shocked at how fast I'm approaching corners in a car from that era.

Z4 GT3 - This car reinforces my impression that the race cars have a bit too much grip under braking and acceleration, I prefer the 4/5 as far as race-cars go.

E30 M3 Group A - Oh my what a fun little car, if people thought the normal E30 was fun, this one takes it to the next level, it want's to go sideways and is really controllable while doing it, even for a derp like me. I can see me racing that thing if multiplayer comes out.

I can't control the E30 M3 Group A once it breaks loose but I'm going to blame that on the controller :)

Morzak

The F40 is AMAZING. What a challenge! :D

You have to try the Step 3 version they have it's absolutely mad, it has 640+ HP and 700+ NM torque, it runs on semi slicks and the turbo boost to the limit it's just insane, the turbo comes way more quickly so there is not as much turbo lag as in the normal version.

Edit: For those who really don't like the F40 in it's standard setup, slap on modern street tyres and the experience becomes more civilised

Here are important performance tips for the new owners:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=89194285&postcount=100

I suggest turning down Faces per frames and cubemap resolution if you have problems, those two kill the framerate even on very potent hardware.

I will only be able to fully enjoy this update early January when I can fully mount my wheel. But yeah, the F40 seems very difficult to handle with the controller.

I have pretty similar impressions:

F40: Impossible to drive. At least with a controller and no driver aids. That turbo lag is killer. You stamp on the throttle and its normal power progression but then all the sudden it jumps a few thousand rpm within a blink of an eye and you're in a wall. I can keep it on the track, but it takes too much caution. Not fun to push hard because the turbo means power spikes everywhere.

F599XX: This shit is laser-guided. Seriously, it turns like nothing else. Be careful on the throttle, but otherwise, very fun to drive.

Z4 GT3: All round capable. Great traction, nicely balanced, easy to push hard. Lovely.

E30 Group A: Like I said, just ridiculous fun. Definitely my favourite car in the game. Handling balance is completely neutral. Its easy to drive, but not too easy. Basically, it does exactly what you want it to do and wont bite back hard if you do edge it over the limit.

3 of the 4 cars added are absolutely magnificent to drive. My kind of cars. The F40 is a terrible disappointment.

Haven't even driven Monza yet.

At least the way the turbo kicks seems to be like the real deal. I reserve judgement on the F40 till I had some time with it on a wheel.

Gotcha, hope you are having fun. The updates will keep on coming!

lem0n

Just about to hook up the steering wheel. Been banned all month so Im just now able to post again, but glad to see everyone enjoying the game still. Its so fun, and I'm very happy to support Kunos- they deserve every cent.

Shaneus

Drops in framerate and stuttering. it wasnt like before this update

I play offline btw
Do you have an ATI/AMD GPU? I found I had a problem with vsync causing some shitty issues with screen tearing in other games (never had a chance to test it with AC), were only resolved by going back to an older driver (13.12 beta v2). That might be something to look at.

I suggest turning down Faces per frames and cubemap resolution if you have problems, those two kill the framerate even on very potent hardware.

Actually I retract parts of that statement. I was able to crank up faces per frame to 6 in the newest build and didn't get any drops in Monza 1966 replays (Which was usually the worst optimized course).
Cubemap resolution high is still a no go for me though.

Zeth

I've been getting very feint tearing in what seems like just the distant background. Tried framerate limiter and vsync seperately with no luck. Might have to double check some Nvidia settings, but everything is set to off or "use application setting".

Sorry if these are repeated questions, but I have an old Driving Force Pro from my GT4 days and a 360 Wireless Racing Wheel (with an Xbox Wireless Adaptor) Will either of these work well enough with this game? If so, is one of them preferable to the other. Thinking of picking this game up on Steam sale.

Top Bottom