• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa: Early Access |OT|

Just a couple of quick questions:

Is there any way to disable the HUD?

And more importantly: every time I try and lower my resolution below 1080p to squeeze out more fps, the game runs in a box, as if it doesn't scale up. I don't have the best rig by a long shot so I'd prefer to keep it @ 900p to hit a solid 60fps with effects etc. but I won't unless I can get full screen.

Lastly, the game controls really, really incredibly. I say this using only the 360 controller (I used one of the recommended settings from this thread).

If you mouse over to the right side of the screen while driving, a menu pops up for all the hud elements to be enabled/disabled.

If you notice in the resolution drop-down there are two of every rez. One is windowed, the other fullscreen. They aren't labeled as such, so if it's windowed, pick the other one.

Man, if these challenges are any indicator of how difficult the Career is going to be, going to have practice for sure. The Monza 599 race has the tiers around the 1:44 and a few seconds up from that, my best is 2:01 and 1:54 for a 'dirty' lap.

I have a hard time coming out of those sharp turns and accelerating and being able to hit the paddle shifter because it's on the 6 o clock spot coming out.

Really enjoying it though, still dialing in the settings. At first I was playing with 900 degrees, but those turns are too sharp, dialed it down to 720, then 540, then 360 (practically like an Indy car) before it felt comfortable.

This is my first PC sim (only played Forza and GT before) so all the options are pretty overwhelming.

Probably need to upgrade my video card, the HD6870 is probably my biggest bottleneck at this point.

So what setups are you guys running? Here's mine:

Shitty pic but man, this game looks so good, I pushed reflections down to minimum and bumped a lot of the other stuff up.

gOfd58j.jpg

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
If you mouse over to the right side of the screen while driving, a menu pops up for all the hud elements to be enabled/disabled.

If you notice in the resolution drop-down there are two of every rez. One is windowed, the other fullscreen. They aren't labeled as such, so if it's windowed, pick the other one.

Hmm, I did notice this--except one is 59hz the other 60hz. The 60hz option is giving me windowed. Interesting. Will try again tonight when I get home from work.

Thanks for the quick response though!

Hmm, I did notice this--except one is 59hz the other 60hz. The 60hz option is giving me windowed. Interesting. Will try again tonight when I get home from work.

Thanks for the quick response though!

Oh interesting, I actually didn't even notice the Hz difference, just the end result.

microtubule

I've been using an FoV of around 50 for my single 24" 1080p monitor. I'm about 2.5ft away with a controller. Should I go wider? Just looking for a baseline, curious what others use.

Sounds about right for that size monitor. I have the same size and use the default FOV but anywhere in the 50 range seems fine. I rotate between cockpit and hood view as well.

TJP

I wouldn't bother with the AI at the moment; it's worth doing just to see the frame rate hit at the start of a race and while in the pits. The AI don't really do much; most cars will crash into each other or slowly drive around the circuit, some don't move at all. One on one races are better so long as you don't pass the AI car as it'll slow down if you do.

That said, a 26 car grid at Monza looked great and I can't wait for the proper release.

From the keyboard of the developer:

Aristotelis [developer]

Hello guys, nice mod for giving a try with the AI, but just to make sure, I need to explain a couple of things.

There is a reason the full AI is not out yet, as it needs optimisation and more work to be properly enjoyable. So yes you might be able to mod some files and enable the AI on track, but always keep in mind that more files are missing to make the AI proper and you might get totally unpredictable results or simply a not very satisfactory AI behaviour.

Have fun, but keep this in mind :)

Zeth

Do I have to unlock cars in the early access version or does everything come unlocked from the get go?

Everything unlocked. It's mostly just hotlapping as far as content goes, but you have a nice selection of available cars and tracks still.

Man, if these challenges are any indicator of how difficult the Career is going to be, going to have practice for sure. The Monza 599 race has the tiers around the 1:44 and a few seconds up from that, my best is 2:01 and 1:54 for a 'dirty' lap.

I have a hard time coming out of those sharp turns and accelerating and being able to hit the paddle shifter because it's on the 6 o clock spot coming out.

Really enjoying it though, still dialing in the settings. At first I was playing with 900 degrees, but those turns are too sharp, dialed it down to 720, then 540, then 360 (practically like an Indy car) before it felt comfortable.

This is my first PC sim (only played Forza and GT before) so all the options are pretty overwhelming.

Probably need to upgrade my video card, the HD6870 is probably my biggest bottleneck at this point.

So what setups are you guys running? Here's mine:

Shitty pic but man, this game looks so good, I pushed reflections down to minimum and bumped a lot of the other stuff up.

That looks like a fun setup! I am waiting for my Omega wheel stand and bought a g27 recently, mostly for this game.

Zeth

Getting my G27 in less than 24 hours now, super excited to play with it - it's my first wheel. Which cars has everyone been driving? I love the new 599 and S3 458. And I always have fun with the M3 GT2 and P4/5. Not sure how my preferences will change with a wheel though. Need to try some more of the open wheel stuff. The little Forumula car doesn't do much for me - seems almost too easy to drive, though I don't have all assists completely disabled with my controller so we'll see.

Will have to jump back a few pages and look for some G27 settings/suggestions. And then head to some other threads for more games to check out. Guess I should consider GT6 now as well.

Xanadu

Banned
Getting my G27 in less than 24 hours now, super excited to play with it - it's my first wheel. Which cars has everyone been driving? I love the new 599 and S3 458. And I always have fun with the M3 GT2 and P4/5. Not sure how my preferences will change with a wheel though. Need to try some more of the open wheel stuff. The little Forumula car doesn't do much for me - seems almost too easy to drive, though I don't have all assists completely disabled with my controller so we'll see.

Will have to jump back a few pages and look for some G27 settings/suggestions. And then head to some other threads for more games to check out. Guess I should consider GT6 now as well.

are you in the US? where did you buy from and how much?

Zeth

are you in the US? where did you buy from and how much?

US, yes. $245 from Newegg. I'm aware they've been on sale/sold for less recently though, just had to have one as a gift to myself.

edit: Wanted to get one from my local Microcenter but they didn't have stock. I think it was their recent price mistake on the $500 Thrustmaster that made me wish I had a wheel (and sad I missed the deal).

458 stock for life. Also the M3s. Really can't wait for the RUFs to be implemented.

I hope there will be another GAF hotlap challenge in January.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

Thanks again for the tip about the apps but the "boxed" screen is still a problem. Only 1080p works full-screen for me. 900p will always be in a window, scaled down to keep aspect ratio. Closest I get to full screen and still keeping fps where I want it is setting it to 1680x1050, which results in an *almost* entirely pillared screen (it's still slightly "boxed" on top and bottom). Just bizarre. I wonder if its because I'm running Optimus on my X51? I'm at a loss to explain it really.

Regardless, I still played a little session right now, trying to learn that beast F40. Tons of fun but damn one misstep....

Edit: I've been rocking all assists off since day 1 on my controller except for racing line. My times would probably be awful compared to people here but I do keep on the track. The F40 has been the biggest challenge, easy, so far.

markao

@ bob_arctor Just to be sure, you did see the option, not sure what it is called (full screen rendering?), in between the "v-sync & rendering mode", or did it not do anything, or is that for something else? ( I thought window mode?)

Just a couple of quick questions:

Is there any way to disable the HUD?

And more importantly: every time I try and lower my resolution below 1080p to squeeze out more fps, the game runs in a box, as if it doesn't scale up. I don't have the best rig by a long shot so I'd prefer to keep it @ 900p to hit a solid 60fps with effects etc. but I won't unless I can get full screen.

Lastly, the game controls really, really incredibly. I say this using only the 360 controller (I used one of the recommended settings from this thread).

Not sure what card you have, but if you have AMD, I had this problem with all content (not just this game) when I used HDMI out to my HDTV. I searched around and found that my "scaling options" weren't set right:

(just a SS I grabbed off the net)

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Not sure what card you have, but if you have AMD, I had this problem with all content (not just this game) when I used HDMI out to my HDTV. I searched around and found that my "scaling options" weren't set right:

(just a SS I grabbed off the net)

I think you figured it out for me. Here's the problem though: since I run Optimus, auto-switching between onboard gfx and gpu, I only have an HDMI cable connected to my onboard. So the option to correct gpu scaling doesn't even show up in the Nvidia control panel as my monitor is not technically hooked up to my gpu! Damn. Serves me right for never bothering to order a mini-HDMI cable.

Zeth

Setting up G27 atm, should I use center spring in device settings? Went through the Wizard succesfully and the default already seems acceptable, just looking for tweaks now. Found the updated settings from the AC forums posted in late Nov. I'm guessing those haven't changed since then. I think I need to put overall effect to 101% to make it so 12 o clock doesn't feel totally loose, is that right?

Interesting. Hopefully it's the ring, that would be an amazing addition. I'm slowly getting a little better. Cars just keep slipping out from under me.

Never thought about the map in GT or Forza but man, it makes a huge difference when I don't have a single indicator of a turn coming up outside of trackside markers and just basic memory (shit, there's that fence, slow down this is a 1st gear turn!).

Interesting. Hopefully it's the ring, that would be an amazing addition. I'm slowly getting a little better. Cars just keep slipping out from under me.

Never thought about the map in GT or Forza but man, it makes a huge difference when I don't have a single indicator of a turn coming up outside of trackside markers and just basic memory (shit, there's that fence, slow down this is a 1st gear turn!).

You know you can turn on the map if you want, right?

Addnan

http://www.assettocorsa.net/nurburgring-news-en/
The Nurburgring-Nordschleife. The greatest track of all time, challenging drivers for over 60 years and now challenging you in Assetto Corsa.

The Nurburing-Nordschleife will be an official addition to Assetto Corsa, which is being heralded as one of the most appreciated racing simulations of 2013. We will be bringing you the most faithful virtual representation of the track ever to be released, based on our laser scanning technology.

This license underpins the ambition of the Assetto Corsa team and we will be shortly beholding a survey to gather your thoughts with a view to releasing the track in September 2014.

We want to go further however! We are developing a ‘Dream Pack DLC’ featuring not only the Nordschleife, but 10 cars, chosen by you, the community, to be included in the pack. So take your pick, Alfa Romeo? Nissan? McLaren and much more.

Shortly, we will be opening our 1 month pre-order phase, providing you with a 50% saving on the final package – that’s right, 10 cars and the Nordschleife.

Z9WZOQn.jpg

jet1911

http://www.assettocorsa.net/nurburgring-news-en/
The Nurburgring-Nordschleife. The greatest track of all time, challenging drivers for over 60 years and now challenging you in Assetto Corsa.
The Nurburing-Nordschleife will be an official addition to Assetto Corsa, which is being heralded as one of the most appreciated racing simulations of 2013. We will be bringing you the most faithful virtual representation of the track ever to be released, based on our laser scanning technology.
This license underpins the ambition of the Assetto Corsa team and we will be shortly beholding a survey to gather your thoughts with a view to releasing the track in September 2014.
We want to go further however! We are developing a ‘Dream Pack DLC’ featuring not only the Nordschleife, but 10 cars, chosen by you, the community, to be included in the pack. So take your pick, Alfa Romeo? Nissan? McLaren and much more.
Shortly, we will be opening our 1 month pre-order phase, providing you with a 50% saving on the final package – that’s right, 10 cars and the Nordschleife.
To stay in touch with our news on when the pre-order will start, keep cheking on our website, follow us on www.facebook.com/assetto.corsa and on www.twitter.com/@ac_assettocorsa or simply check the ingame news!
We hope that with this announcement you will have an even Happier New Year.
The Assetto Corsa development team

Since when does an announcement of Nordschleife in a sim qualify news? What an anticlimax. What next? Their cars will have four wheels?

Megasoum

Banned
Since when does an announcement of Nordschleife in a sim qualify news? What an anticlimax. What next? Their cars will have four wheels?

Exactly my thoughts... I'm so tired of the Nurb... There's so many amazing tracks around the world that are constantly ignored and skipped in favor of old and tired places like Norfschleife, Silverstone, Laguna, etc... How about some originality in our games from now on?

Did they just hype up an announcement of paid DLC over 9 months in advance?

I was really hoping this would be light on paid DLC. I'm uncomfortable with the direction this seems to be going.

disap.ed

Unfortunately I have to agree. It was definitely worth the 35€ that I paid but the early sale despite promising before that there won't be one anytime soon and now announcing DLC when the game isn't even released yet is all kinds of disappointing. I understand their reasons behind both actions but they are sending a clear message to their earliest supporters.

SparkTR

I just want to know about the mod tools release date. I know people are bummed about DLC, but the amount of mods that these kinds of games historically attract don't have me concerned about content value. And a modder isn't going to be able to laser scan the Nordschleife.

Top Bottom