• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa: Early Access |OT|

Seanspeed

Banned
they are sending a clear message to their earliest supporters.
Indeed. The message seems to be:

"We are working hard to ensure continuing support into the future."

Or is this another case of people thinking that releasing DLC news before a game is out means they are withholding content? Please tell me that's not the case here, cuz I don't want to have to go through that tired argument again.

Not sure what people are upset about here. It will be a laser-scanned copy of the track and if its up to the standards of what we've seen from the other tracks, that's something to look forward to.

Watevaman

I'm not the happiest about the DLC stuff, but I'm not gonna complain about it. What might bother me is how they decide to price stuff. The only thing putting me off the likes of RRRE and iRacing is that stuff is a bit too expensive. Good thing about AC is that it's got a lot of content already and it keeps coming.

I'm not the happiest about the DLC stuff, but I'm not gonna complain about it. What might bother me is how they decide to price stuff. The only thing putting me off the likes of RRRE and iRacing is that stuff is a bit too expensive. Good thing about AC is that it's got a lot of content already and it keeps coming.

This is exactly my concern. I'll hold my judgment until we get some pricing details.

I just want to know how many cars the finished product will have.
Known cars still to come:

BMW 1 Series M coupè
BMW M3 E92
Classic Team Lotus 98T
Ferrari F1 312T
Ferrari 458 GT2
Mercedes-Benz SLS
Mercedes-Benz SLS GT3
Pagani Huayra

Known circuits still to come:

'Germany circuit' (I'm guessing this is the F1 Nurburgring)
Silverstone International
Spa Francorchamps
Trento Bondone hill climb

Seanspeed

Banned
I thought those were only the ones for the early access. :/ im too used to FM, GT
Yes, you are!

That is the intended car list for the release version. Us early access guys don't even have all that yet(nor all the tracks).

This is a very small team of people here. Content takes a lot of time to create, especially to the extremely high standards these guys strive for.

That said, this game is being built for heavy mod support. These guys cant afford to support this game in the way that a Sony or Microsoft-supported studio can. A lot will depend on the community. And considering how damn good the groundwork is for this game, I'm banking on that not being a problem.

Known cars still to come:

BMW 1 Series M coupè
BMW M3 E92
Classic Team Lotus 98T
Ferrari F1 312T
Ferrari 458 GT2
Mercedes-Benz SLS
Mercedes-Benz SLS GT3
Pagani Huayra

Known circuits still to come:

'Germany circuit' (I'm guessing this is the F1 Nurburgring)
Silverstone International
Spa Francorchamps
Trento Bondone hill climb
Also:

McLaren MP4-12C GT3
And the shorter Imola layout.

Spookie

People also have to keep in mind the license to include the Nurb ain't cheap.

I imagine the time and effort it takes to process the scan isn't cheap either. Which reminds me: why the don't tracks do this themselves? They can licence out both the track, the plans and the actual scan for an additional price. Surely it would make the track more appealing to developers of both business and consumer simulators.

Megasoum

Banned
Le-Circuit-Mont-Tremblant-track-schematic.jpg

Do want

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBtxvcJZtys

Hell.... YESSSS...

Also, I want Mosport. Let's get some Canadian racing in there!

patchday

Interesting it's a paid DLC. I have no problem with purchasing a DLC but I'd want for the game to hit release before going that route (ideally!)

Excellent news tho! Full laser scanning. Wow! Can't wait :D

paskowitz

I imagine the time and effort it takes to process the scan isn't cheap either. Which reminds me: why the don't tracks do this themselves? They can licence out both the track, the plans and the actual scan for an additional price. Surely it would make the track more appealing to developers of both business and consumer simulators.

Mind blown. This is a great idea. They would only really need to do the track surface and all the layouts. This would also give the the tracks tighter control over how their property is represented (good for tracks, not necessarily game makers).

TJP

A fully laserscanned Nürburgring Nordschleife is big news indeed. I'd like many other tracks added too but I'll happily take the Nürburgring alongside Spa.

Seems the feedback hasn't been all postive though:
I can surely understand people who complain or are disappointed for the Nordschleife license. Because no one must be forced to like the track. But I care much more those thousands of people who asked for it, as well as for those car models that will be included in the pack. Envy is really a bad beast, because doens't allow people to enjoy their life. Take it easy, it's just gaming. See you on track next Spring.
- From the FB page of the Kunos licence procurement guy.

Another titbit:
Shortly, we will be opening our 1 month pre-order phase, providing you with a 50% saving on the final package – that’s right, 10 cars and the Nordschleife.
Final pricing should be interesting..

Addnan

Laser scanned Nordschleife I am coming to terms and will pay for it. I don't like that we can only get the 50% off several months in advance :/

patchday

Hey guys how do you change the transmission? Last time I played, I was always stuck in automatic transmission. Cant find the option to switch to Manual anywhere :(

TJP

Laser scanned Nordschleife I am coming to terms and will pay for it. I don't like that we can only get the 50% off several months in advance :/
Discounts for paying up front prior to DLC releasing is a common practice across console and PC gaming.

I just hope it is reasonably priced and doesn't go on sale 6 weeks after early adopters buy it..

Shaneus

What sort of negative feedback have/would they have received? I'm not sure how it's a big thing to announce something that's obviously going to take them more work and be out after the game is released. We can legitimately take Kunos at their word as far as laser scanning and new content goes... same can't be said for a dev like Turn 10.

Hell, all the laser scanning image examples I've seen on the net have been from Kunos.

Just to give some perspective, people expected something else from a hyped up Christmas surprise. Like a new manufacturer license, a surprise title update with a new track, etc. So they ruined their perfectly fine announcement by doing this. Also as many have said, we are still in the early access phase and they already announce paid DLC? Not cool, especially with early adopters still being salty over the Steam sale discount. Finish the game, treat the early adopters right and then sell us the DLC if you have to.

Laser scanned Ring in itself is fucking amazing and I will pay whatever it costs. It's just that Kunos "PR" have left something to desire lately... I don't really get how they can be surprised over some negative backlash over this.

TJP

What sort of negative feedback have/would they have received? I'm not sure how it's a big thing to announce something that's obviously going to take them more work and be out after the game is released. We can legitimately take Kunos at their word as far as laser scanning and new content goes... same can't be said for a dev like Turn 10.
I guess people were expecting something else given the build up which was OTT in hindsight. Add to this the usual 'one sim rules them all' triablism, the 'why isn't this free' crowd and an assortment people all voicing an opinion on why it's not that big of a deal.

That said, a fully laser scanned Nurburgring is a breakthrough more so as a tiny developer has the balls to do it..better funded developers have a myriad of excuses as to why it couldn't be done and now a self funded team of 10 people are laser scanning one of the greatest tracks in the world.

Also as many have said, we are still in the early access phase and they already announce paid DLC? Not cool, especially with early adopters still being salty over the Steam sale discount.
Kunos shot themselves in the foot by stating (I believe it was on Race Department) that AC would only go on sale long after version 1.0 shipped. If this statement had never been made prior to the Steam sale, I doubt anyone would have been annoyed. I was pretty pissed off on the morning the discount was offered but got over it soon after. I will be very wary going forward though.

I don't have a problem with announcing the DLC this early; the track has to be scanned and built which is a huge undertaking plus making 10 cars. Last time I looked on Twitter only one person was doing the track work for Kunos.

Seanspeed

Banned
Also as many have said, we are still in the early access phase and they already announce paid DLC? Not cool
There's really nothing wrong with it. Its just that a lot of people don't understand how game development works. I don't see that announcing it now or later really changes anything other than how people might perceive it from an irrational psychological standpoint.

Shaneus

Yeah, I still really don't see what's wrong with it. Perhaps it's because folk still have the bad taste of FM5 DLC in their mouths, but gloss over how T10 have a track record of half-arsing things like season passes where the DLC isn't even announced (short of saying "6 months of car packs, $50 thanks!"). Or that they show ready models of cars saying that it'll be available as DLC right when the game is released, for an additional cost. Most people know that all this is 100% new content that Kunos are knocking up and doing themselves and should in no way be considered a similar practice to what T10 have done with their season passes, which is why it surprises me.

I mean, I can see from certain perspectives why the announcement isn't fantastic (especially from the buildup, smh) but the name of the content and the actual delivery shouldn't be surprising to anyone... especially when the same people probably also voted in all the polls that resulted in this announcement in the first place.

There's really nothing wrong with it. Its just that a lot of people don't understand how game development works. I don't see that announcing it now or later really changes anything other than how people might perceive it from an irrational psychological standpoint.

What is irrational about saying that their timing and promotion of this important milestone has been shit? This has nothing to do with "how game development works". They are to blame for the lack of positive buzz, not the fans.

Morzak

Honestly you don't hype up a DLC announcement for your game that is still 10 months away. Add to that the steam sale and their previous comments about sales and the backlash is absolutely expected. I'm not to worried about it, but I can understand that there is backlash and a competent PR person should be aware of those issues.........

Business

The only problem I see is they probably thought they were dealing with a more mature crowd. Yes there was a sale where you could have saved 10 euros, yes they are already working on DLC due to release at the end of next year and you'll have to pay for it. Seriously...

Spookie

Add to that the steam sale and their previous comments about sales and the backlash is absolutely expected.

As I understand if Valve buy up a set amount of keys for a game then put them on sale. So it could well have been completely out of their control.

Seanspeed

Banned
What is irrational about saying that their timing and promotion of this important milestone has been shit? This has nothing to do with "how game development works". They are to blame for the lack of positive buzz, not the fans.

Honestly you don't hype up a DLC announcement for your game that is still 10 months away. Add to that the steam sale and their previous comments about sales and the backlash is absolutely expected. I'm not to worried about it, but I can understand that there is backlash and a competent PR person should be aware of those issues.........
Actual backlash only occurs because people are being irrational about it. I think its a shame that companies have to work their PR campaign around the fact that people are simple-minded and irrational, but it is true. So yes, they made a mistake thinking that their fans would deal with the news more intelligently.

SparkTR

There will be eventually, but it's still in development. In the current version the only game modes available are Time Trial, Drifting and Drag Racing (against AI).

I really hope they implement an iRacing kind of system into that mode, even if it alienates more casual racers.

Septimius

Oh, wow. I thought it would have multiplayer. Glad I asked.

What about the simulation quality? I'm not hardcore about graphics - they're a plus - but I really want the simulation aspect to be amazing.

tioslash

I don't get it... Is this a DLC or a update free to the game. How many cars and tracks is the final version of this game suppose to have?

Nordschleife will be available as DLC, + 10 cars chosen by the community to be included in the pack. The version 1.0 of the game will ship with 36 cars and 11 tracks.

Oh, wow. I thought it would have multiplayer. Glad I asked.

What about the simulation quality? I'm not hardcore about graphics - they're a plus - but I really want the simulation aspect to be amazing.

Do yourself a favor and pick up this. The physics are fantastic. Easily the best sim I´ve played. Regarding multiplayer, I think it won´t take long to be implemented...

Spookie

I really hope they implement an iRacing kind of system into that mode, even if it alienates more casual racers.

Well they can use the Steamworks backend so can tie accounts to that then all they would need is a front end like Battlefield 4- I'm simplifying things just a tiny bit I know. If they were able to provide decent league support and a centralised place for statistics tracking it could provide a decent framework for online racing without the ridiculous pricing model.

Mini reviews over the best simulations on the market

rFactor 2:
+most realistic physics on the market (Yes I know I wrote that in the AC thread, sorry)
+AI
+Multiplayer
+RealRoad (track gets gripper the more rubber gets laid down. Rain washes away rubber)
+Thanks to mods, many many circuits of varying types
+Thanks to mods, many many cars of varying types (road, race, historic, endurance etc)
+Full day/night
+Refuelling, tyre changes, damage, full flag system
-Awful UI
-Awful mod managing system
-Graphics feel a little dated
-AMD cards struggle and need some settings turn down to run smoothly
-slow development and minimal communication from ISI

Assetto Corsa:
+amazing physics, but I believe rF2 trumps it
+the best looking racing sim I've seen. Wow.
+even though it looks amazing, it doesn't need a monster PC
+beautiful user interface
+superb communication from Kunos
+Steam integration means easy mod management.
-no AI or multiplayer yet, but it is coming
-car selection is centred around road cars (negative for me, but maybe some people like that?)
-no weather or night (but I guess that's coming)

p3tran

Banned
its been a while I fired this baby up, been busy getting all the new consoles and all dat shit.
I also grabbed a thrustmaster xbone-pc wheel, hopefully it will deliver in AC too as well as in F5.

laser scanned ring incoming? HELL YEAH!!
next september? HELL
of a long time

EVERYBODY GET THIS FUCKIN' GAME! ITS ALSO LIKE -3$ ON STEAM RIGHT NOW FOR YOU BARGAIN HUNTERS :)
BUT GAME IS A BARGAIN FOR THE WAY IT HANDLES NO MATTER THE PRICE!
YOU KNOW YOU NEED IT!! GO GET IT!

ps
happy holidays everybody! :)

Shaneus

Biggest plus for me, finally PC sim that include healthy number of road cars and i love it :)
Yeah, I'd consider that more of a positive. Unless you're talking about older track cars (like tourers, older F1 cars etc.) but the majority of the newer ones likely wouldn't be as fun as road cars, I'd imagine (I guess... different strokes I guess). I mean, look at how much fun Niels from Reiza has with his NSX!

Septimius

Mini reviews over the best simulations on the market

rFactor 2:
+most realistic physics on the market (Yes I know I wrote that in the AC thread, sorry)
+AI
+Multiplayer
+RealRoad (track gets gripper the more rubber gets laid down. Rain washes away rubber)
+Thanks to mods, many many circuits of varying types
+Thanks to mods, many many cars of varying types (road, race, historic, endurance etc)
+Full day/night
+Refuelling, tyre changes, damage, full flag system
-Awful UI
-Awful mod managing system
-Graphics feel a little dated
-AMD cards struggle and need some settings turn down to run smoothly
-slow development and minimal communication from ISI

Assetto Corsa:
+amazing physics, but I believe rF2 trumps it
+the best looking racing sim I've seen. Wow.
+even though it looks amazing, it doesn't need a monster PC
+beautiful user interface
+superb communication from Kunos
+Steam integration means easy mod management.
-no AI or multiplayer yet, but it is coming
-car selection is centred around road cars (negative for me, but maybe some people like that?)
-no weather or night (but I guess that's coming)

Thanks for this. I'm an rFactor'er, but I am open for a different take. Sounds like Assetto Corsa is right up my alley :)

Yeah, I'd consider that more of a positive. Unless you're talking about older track cars (like tourers, older F1 cars etc.) but the majority of the newer ones likely wouldn't be as fun as road cars, I'd imagine (I guess... different strokes I guess). I mean, look at how much fun Niels from Reiza has with his NSX!
Yeah, it's all horses for courses, I tend to gravitate towards the yaw angles of 60s/70s race cars.

Either way, we're truly in a golden age of sim racing.

Shaneus

So weird, I could've sworn AC had night racing. I guess it won't be far off though (unlike a certain other console racing franchise):
screenshot_mclaren_mpn1uu1.jpg

Yeah, it's all horses for courses, I tend to gravitate towards the yaw angles of 60s/70s race cars.

Either way, we're truly in a golden age of sim racing.
I have a feeling we'll get those... I dunno, I get the vibe from Kunos that they wouldn't ignore track cars entirely. Perhaps to start with to get people into the game, but I'd be surprised if their loose association with Ferrari (at least) doesn't result in some of their older sports cars making an appearance (as an example).

To paraphrase what I was saying before, I think people tend to be nervous about "current" race cars and how much less "raw" they are compared to older ones due to obvious technological improvements and such. But if Reiza got their hands on it, you know you'd have a good number of different, legit race cars to bash around! And you know the modding community won't exactly ignore this game either. 6 months from proper release and I could almost guarantee you your needs will be met :)

Morzak

We will not see night racing for a very long time until after release, if we ever get it. I can't find the post now, but they would have to redo the renderer to support headlights.............. This was a bit of a bummer for me considering it uses a dynamic lightning model.

Yeah and for Online multiplayer I really want to see a system that takes cues from iRacing, holding people accountable for their actions on track is important to keep the racing at a decent level.... Most other Racing games are pretty unbearable online if you don't have a dedicated league for clean racing.

I think AC already has a healthy mix of track and road cars, but I also do prefer the road cars. E.g. the Formula 3 car is not a lot of fun to drive for me.

Seanspeed

Banned
We will not see night racing for a very long time until after release, if we ever get it. I can't find the post now, but they would have to redo the renderer to support headlights.............. This was a bit of a bummer for me considering it uses a dynamic lightning model.
Which means it wont happen.

dsk1210

Right I have just picked this puppy up and realized I gave my mate a lend of my wheel ages ago, Controller it is in the meantime then.

Is the controller setting ok? or does it need much faffing about to get right?

Right I have just picked this puppy up and realized I gave my mate a lend of my wheel ages ago, Controller it is in the meantime then.

You can faff, but I think most just roll with default.

microtubule

Try these if you do not like the default controller settings:

Steering Speed 85

The rest are what Shaneus posted early in the thread:

Gamma 4
Filter 0.95
Speed Sensitivity 0.05
Deadzone 0.3

Top Bottom