• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa: Early Access |OT|

dsk1210

Just played a few races, just the lotus and default track on time attack.

Wow :)

I can see me loving this, much nicer looking than i expected at this stage and the physics seem beautiful, off to try out some stuff, throw any recommendations at me :)

mrsmr2

Right, tempted to get this in the Flash sale.

Any idea how a 3570k (overclocked) and a 7850 (overclocked) will fare?

Shaneus

Joux Plane (from Richard Burns Rally) now in Assetto Corsa - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRTw3YlchRw

First unofficial track mod/add-on?

Edit: That system should be just fine. I can run it quite handily with older (albeit more) hardware in my 5850/5970 combo. But it has relatively low requirements for a sim. I'd say you can buy it knowing it'll run fine (might have to dial down *some* details, but it won't be enough for it to look horrible at all).

mrsmr2

Ok, thanks. I'll go for it.

GSC2013 didn't add much more than 2012 (less understeer, more direct stock cars were the main things I noticed in the 1hr demo) so I'm looking for a new sim. EDIT: oops, thought I was in the other racing thread.

Shaneus

Ok, thanks. I'll go for it.

GSC2013 didn't add much more than 2012 (less understeer, more direct stock cars were the main things I noticed in the 1hr demo) so I'm looking for a new sim. EDIT: oops, thought I was in the other racing thread.
Karts. Karts are *amazing* in 2013!

Watevaman

Ok, before I fork out the money (the 2nd sale kind of cemented it for me), can someone explain if the track list on the AC site is all the tracks they're planning on having at launch or if it's just stuff in the early access portion? I know the Nurb DLC + there will be mod tracks but I don't know if that track list they've got on the site is the final retail release list.

Seanspeed

Banned
Ok, before I fork out the money (the 2nd sale kind of cemented it for me), can someone explain if the track list on the AC site is all the tracks they're planning on having at launch or if it's just stuff in the early access portion? I know the Nurb DLC + there will be mod tracks but I don't know if that track list they've got on the site is the final retail release list.
That will be all the tracks on release.

Is that the list under "In the full game" section? There's about a third of those in the current build.
Good bit more that. We've got the majority of them already.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
So is this 100% sim, or like forza 3/4 where you can turn on & off lots of driving help?

You can pick and choose which driving assists you want. Lots of options. I'm on a 360 controller and have everything off save clutch/blip options and racing line. The physics are incredible. Really, really good game even this early but I need to upgrade my gpu once we get other cars on the tracks.

Watevaman

Anyone else have performance issues? I've been hearing this is supposed to run really well so I'm not sure if this is a problem with the game or with my hardware. I've got a GTX570 with an old Phenom II X4 955BE and plenty of RAM. When I first fire up AC and go to the track, it runs really choppy. Thinking it's a setting, I ended up dropping the world detail down from max to very high, went back, and it ran fine. Just to make sure it was that setting, I bumped it back up to max and it's running fine and dandy.

Does anyone else get this really shitty performance the first time they fire up a track?

Anyone else have performance issues? I've been hearing this is supposed to run really well so I'm not sure if this is a problem with the game or with my hardware. I've got a GTX570 with an old Phenom II X4 955BE and plenty of RAM. When I first fire up AC and go to the track, it runs really choppy. Thinking it's a setting, I ended up dropping the world detail down from max to very high, went back, and it ran fine. Just to make sure it was that setting, I bumped it back up to max and it's running fine and dandy.

Does anyone else get this really shitty performance the first time they fire up a track?

This happens to me on occasion. I just exit and re-enter the track, and it works.

TJP

According to the change on the AC FB page, the 31st of December present is...

1503969_791741174185536_508561636_n.png

8)

Shaneus

What car is that? Is that the LaFerrari?

Edit: I know Turn 10/FM5 has that car as a 2013 exclusive, so they won't be releasing it today. Hence probably why they're waiting for 1.0. First game to have it outside of FM5 though, it would seem.

So, Microsoft has the exclusivity only for consoles?
See what I just wrote. I seem to remember reading it was just a 2013 exclusivity thing :)

Xun

According to the change on the AC FB page, the 31st of December present is...

8)
Such a beautiful car (with a sadly stupid name)

First time this will be in a game right?

Edit: Just found out it's in Forza 5, nevermind then. :p

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Man. Playing this while rocking Chromatics as the soundtrack is sublime. Best racing game in quite some time for me--the last two to really give me that "feel" are Gran Turismo and RSC2.

Jibbed

First game to have it available day one WITHOUT requiring a DLC purchase ;)

AYOOOOOOOOO!

Haha, sweet. I've just shelled out for DayZ so I'll give it a few weeks yet, pretty excited to give it a go though. pCars has been annoying me lately, I can't keep track of which tires work and which don't for each car.

At what point do sim racers get good enough that the only real differences become which cars are available?

Granted I'm not a big fan of the genre or anything, but despite some clear differences still it seems like things have been getting closer and closer together as time goes on.

kudoboi

joux plane is actually the most fun map imo in the game. Waiting for an off road map next. it will be something driving Ferraris on dirt

edit: i want to buy Richard Burns Rally but i can't find it anywhere

Seanspeed

Banned
At what point do sim racers get good enough that the only real differences become which cars are available?

Granted I'm not a big fan of the genre or anything, but despite some clear differences still it seems like things have been getting closer and closer together as time goes on.
There will always be ways to distinguish your game from others. There's more to these games than just physics and # of cars/tracks.

I also don't think the physics really improve over time that rapidly. Simulating real-life driving is such an extremely complicated affair. I still hear F1 drivers comment about how the simulators they use, made by teams with ridiculous budgets, still aren't anything close to being a substitute for the real thing.

EDIT:

And yea, Joux Plane is seriously good. I've probably done about 40-50 attempts, and I think I've got a good grasp of the first half now, a tenuous grasp on the next 1/4 of track and I'm still quite green on the last bits because I don't often get there! lol

Some sublime sections. My favourite corner is probably the extremely fast right hander about 2/3's of the way through, with the railing on your left and it exits out with no railing to protect you from the steep drop over the side. Taking that fast and edging it just right is so good. That super tight hairpin when it goes back into the woods near the end is impossible for me to navigate in quite a few cars, though. They just don't have the turning lock to get around, which is something I struggle with occasionally on other tracks+cars as well. It has something to do with how they handle the controller settings, but it kind of sucks.

Spookie

While it's cool we're getting La Ferrari I'd love to see Touring car racing like BTCC, Aussie V8 and STCC. It feels like we're getting a lot of GT and super cars but there isn't something to bridge the gap from the Abarth to the monsters.

dsk1210

There will always be ways to distinguish your game from others. There's more to these games than just physics and # of cars/tracks.

I also don't think the physics really improve over time that rapidly. Simulating real-life driving is such an extremely complicated affair. I still hear F1 drivers comment about how the simulators they use, made by teams with ridiculous budgets, still aren't anything close to being a substitute for the real thing.

EDIT:

And yea, Joux Plane is seriously good. I've probably done about 40-50 attempts, and I think I've got a good grasp of the first half now, a tenuous grasp on the next 1/4 of track and I'm still quite green on the last bits because I don't often get there! lol

Some sublime sections. My favourite corner is probably the extremely fast right hander about 2/3's of the way through, with the railing on your left and it exits out with no railing to protect you from the steep drop over the side. Taking that fast and edging it just right is so good. That super tight hairpin when it goes back into the woods near the end is impossible for me to navigate in quite a few cars, though. They just don't have the turning lock to get around, which is something I struggle with occasionally on other tracks+cars as well. It has something to do with how they handle the controller settings, but it kind of sucks.

I spent a good while yesterday configuring the controller, the speed sensitivity is the the option that directly affects that speed to turning ratio, I found I was struggling with hairpins unless I was at crawling speed, turning that down to 0.05 allows for sharper turning.

I love the driving in this game, it feels so right, I think it might have ruined me for other games though, I started to adjust my seat position, height, fov, and pitch for optimal immersion, no other game out there has let me tailor so specially to my needs. I am sure someone mentioned that it works good in 3d, I am going to have to test that later, seems like it would be perfect with the cockpit view.

Think I might pick up a new wheel for this, my friend has my old one but it's the 360 one and probably not that great for this. any recommendations on a good quality wheel at a reasonable price?

Phinor

joux plane is actually the most fun map imo in the game. Waiting for an off road map next. it will be something driving Ferraris on dirt

http://uk.gamesplanet.com/buy-download-pc-games/Richard-Burns-Rally-235-39.html

Gamesplanet is the only website I've seen selling RBR digital version. I have no idea why they have the license to sell the game (and no one else does?) or how their downloader works. I just know RBR has been popping into their top5 sellers list every now and then probably because, as I said, it's likely the only place selling digital copy of that game.

Not sure where you're located but I managed to get a physical copy in NA from Amazon for $5 plus shipping a few months ago.

Shaneus

I scored mine super cheap from eBay, shipped from the UK to Australia for less than $10AU. I'd imagine they ship elsewhere as well.

kudoboi

Seanspeed

Banned
I spent a good while yesterday configuring the controller, the speed sensitivity is the the option that directly affects that speed to turning ratio, I found I was struggling with hairpins unless I was at crawling speed, turning that down to 0.05 allows for sharper turning.

I love the driving in this game, it feels so right, I think it might have ruined me for other games though, I started to adjust my seat position, height, fov, and pitch for optimal immersion, no other game out there has let me tailor so specially to my needs. I am sure someone mentioned that it works good in 3d, I am going to have to test that later, seems like it would be perfect with the cockpit view.

Think I might pick up a new wheel for this, my friend has my old one but it's the 360 one and probably not that great for this. any recommendations on a good quality wheel at a reasonable price?
Yea, it allows for sharper turning, but it increases the general sensitivity way too much for me. I shouldn't need to compromise my turning radius/lock for my preferred sensitivity level.

Watevaman

Is there a keybind that allows you to reset the car to the track? The button options are seriously limited in the controls.

Top Bottom