• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa: Early Access |OT|

Watevaman

it's definitely not an easy track

wait_for_it_by_watevaman-d707mhl.gif

Zeth

This is the first game I've actually started to truly learn the tracks. I'm a sim newbie and I've only ever played Forza and GT with the suggested line. Actually feeling and learning tracks is so incredibly gratifying. The superb physics in AC don't hurt either and I love most of the cars already. I've been trying to play GT6 without the line, but I've yet to learn many of the tracks that aren't in AC.

Quick question: Is there any way to force paddle shifting with the older BMWs for example? On a wheel I mean*

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
A few questions:

- Is there a career mode worth playing yet? Or is this going to be strictly online racing?
- Can you navigate all the menus with a gamepad instead of mouse?
- Can you customize to the point that up you can accelerate/brake with the right anaolg on a controller?
- Are the car camera angles customizable at all?

mrsmr2

So, the big announcement we were waiting for on the 31st was just an announcement about a future car?

If so, Kunos really need to get their PR sorted.

Seanspeed

Banned
So, the big announcement we were waiting for on the 31st was just an announcement about a future car?

I don't think they made any fuss about it being a huge announcement.

You're probably right about them needing to take a different approach with their PR. They have grossly overestimated the rationality of their customers.

A few questions:

- Is there a career mode worth playing yet? Or is this going to be strictly online racing?
- Can you navigate all the menus with a gamepad instead of mouse?
- Can you customize to the point that up you can accelerate/brake with the right anaolg on a controller?
- Are the car camera angles customizable at all?
No career mode yet. Not even any AI.

Menu navigation still requires a mouse as far as I'm aware.

Not sure about the other things.

Spookie

Kunos don't have any marketing staff. Or a marketing budget for that matter. What were you expecting?

mrsmr2

I thought I saw a post somewhere quoting Kunos as saying that there would be a gift on 31.12. Various places were speculating it might be ai, multiplayer, etc.

Obviously, speculating is silly, but a picture of a future car is pretty underwhelming to even those with realistic expectations.

mrsmr2

Licenses extended? Does this mean we are going to see the real drawback to them using Steam - when the licenses end and we can't use the cars anymore?

I thought I saw a post somewhere quoting Kunos as saying that there would be a gift on 31.12. Various places were speculating it might be ai, multiplayer, etc.
Yeah, I was going to mention this earlier. The word 'gift' was poorly used and perhaps 'We'll have a surprise for you on December 31st' would have been more appropriate.
Licenses extended? Does this mean we are going to see the real drawback to them using Steam - when the licenses end and we can't use the cars anymore?
Extended to include more cars I guess.

Spookie

They probably mean the licence was extended to include more cars. For example Pagani might have only licenced them two cars but saw the profits and good vibes so far and extended it to a six car licence.

TJP

Obviously, speculating is silly, but a picture of a future car is pretty underwhelming to even those with realistic expectations.
Really?

Kunos secured the LaFerrari licence and announced it is free addition to AC when version 1.0 ships as a thank you for the support. It's a pretty fucking generous freebee or gift as Kunos rightly stated given the attitude of many in the sim racing community.

Read all about it here: http://www.assettocorsa.net/laferrari-official-license-for-assetto-corsa/

But, licences/rights do run out eventually.
It depends on each manufacturer and how precious they are about their brand and licencing deals. As an example, there are plenty of marques in the various SimBin titles available on Steam dating back to GTR and GT Legends. Porsche and Ferrari were removed from GTR 2 because of licencing issues; all other vehicles remain.

The extension of licences in Assetto Corsa confirmed Kunos will add more vehicles from the current manufacturers plus add a few new manufacturers 8)

TJP

Joux Plane (from Richard Burns Rally) has been removed from very nearly every sim racing website and forum. Track conversions aren't really welcome on many websites whilst scratch made tracks are most welcome (ala Feels3 for rF2, Virtua LM for ISImotor). It will be interesting to see what happens with AC with mods going forward.

Seanspeed

Banned
Joux Plane (from Richard Burns Rally) has been removed from very nearly every sim racing website and forum. Track conversions aren't really welcome on many websites whilst scratch made tracks are most welcome (ala Feels3 for rF2, Virtua LM for ISImotor). It will be interesting to see what happens with AC with mods going forward.
Its only a problem when its done without permission.

It will be interesting to see what happens with AC with mods going forward.
Seeing how much the following Steam Workshop license agreement affected the ARMA3 mod community, I wonder how many vehicle/track artists will invest their time in AC modding?
2. License

You grant to Valve the following rights, which Valve may exercise or not in its sole discretion:

a. You grant to Valve a worldwide, non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, assignable right and license to (a) use, copy, distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, modify, and create derivative works from Your Contribution in any media, (b) identify You as the source of the Contribution, and (c) sublicense these rights, to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law.

TJP

Its only a problem when its done without permission.
That's the wider issue as most tracks are converted with no permission granted. Look at the extra tracks for GSC; almost entirely ripped from SimBin's Race series, rFactor survived largely because of scratch made and 'illegal' mods and I've played Forza cars and converted cars and tracks from Shift and Unleashed in various ISImotor sims.

Reading the short thread on RD, it appears the publisher of RBR sent a request akin to a cease and desist letter and RD removed the track. I see the author still has it on his own website.

Seeing how much the following Steam Workshop license agreement affected the ARMA3 mod community, I wonder how many vehicle/track artists will invest their time in AC modding?
Rereading my post above, I realise that it wasn't particularly clear and could be interpreted as "I bet nobody will make mods lololol" comment. But no, I'm actually quite curious about the distribution method the mod community will eventually choose. A few paint jobs and wheel rims will certainly appear on the Steam Workshop and become the property of Valve, but tracks and vehicles built from scratch? I guess time will tell.

Morzak

Rereading my post above, I realise that it wasn't particularly clear and could be interpreted as "I bet nobody will make mods lololol" comment. But no, I'm actually quite curious about the distribution method the mod community will eventually choose. A few paint jobs and wheel rims will certainly appear on the Steam Workshop and become the property of Valve, but tracks and vehicles built from scratch? I guess time will tell.

It's something that really irks me with Valve and the Steam workshop, they basically take the rights to the mods created.... And I doubt most people that create tracks or cars will be fine with it. Will be really interesting how that pans out. Also would Valve then be liable to legal implications of licences and such?

Spookie

Well people are making serious bank from Dota 2 & CS:GO. I guess it's up the devs to make the decision on how to reward the mod community. I imagine they might have to think outside of the box to come up with a solution which pleases everyone.

Three60

From their facebook >

Hello and happy new year to everybody!
We are getting back to full activity after the holidays and we are working hard to prepare the next update that will go live on Friday 17 January. Our top priority and objective at the moment is to optimise the AI and have it working at least on some special events.
We would like to thank everybody for their support and looking forward for an exciting 2014!

Seanspeed

Banned
That's the wider issue as most tracks are converted with no permission granted. Look at the extra tracks for GSC; almost entirely ripped from SimBin's Race series, rFactor survived largely because of scratch made and 'illegal' mods and I've played Forza cars and converted cars and tracks from Shift and Unleashed in various ISImotor sims.

Reading the short thread on RD, it appears the publisher of RBR sent a request akin to a cease and desist letter and RD removed the track. I see the author still has it on his own website.
Yea, I've played a lot of illegally ripped tracks, but there was still a good amount of legal conversions being done when I was playing rFactor, too. I'm not expecting 100's of tracks like we had then, but I think it should still be enough to really keep things interesting.

From their facebook >
Cool. If they stick to their 2 week plan after that, it means 1.0 would come at the end of March, making that month even crazier in terms of games I'll be playing.

friday

Wheel question for you guys:

If I can get the Fanatec GT3 RS combo with load cell braking pedals for less than $300, why would I ever buy a G27?

Nice. As pointed out in the description, funnelling into the chicane at a Monza start must be a nightmare for AI development - looks very impressive already.

Looking good.

I'm excited for an all new AI system, even if it is a work in progress. pCARS excluded, it feels like forever since I last raced AI in a serious sim that wasn't ISI based. That's not taking a dig necessarily. Just noting the breadth of isiMotor.

Seanspeed

Banned
Ai is looking really promising especially for an early build.

I've just read elsewhere on the internet that the some people in the AC Steam forum were posting trying to get a class action lawsuit filed against Kunos for not updating Assetto Corsa until the middle of January...are people really this mentally deranged?
Haven't seen anything like that on the Steam forums. :/

Shaneus

I was reading the thread yesterday, but it now seems to have... vanished. It was just one guy saying that he wanted to get lawyers involved, with two hundred others ridiculing him.
I believe developers are able to mod their own forums or something... so that's probably what happened.

But really... seriously? What the fuck is wrong with people?!?

Edit: About halfway down this page, a guy on another forum says the same thing!

Edit #2: God bless Google cache :)

Watevaman

Guys, what cars do they race on the real Magione track? It's got the tightest little corners that put stuff like the P4/5 to shame but then it's got this super long back straight where you can almost top out most cars.

They seem to race a wide range of cars (and bikes) there, GT and open wheel, so the P4/5 should be able to handle it.

It's a strange one though. Turn 4 is particularly awkward, as it doesn't look like a hairpin when you approach it. I was surprised how sharp it looks on a map.

Morzak

They seem to race a wide range of cars (and bikes) there, GT and open wheel, so the P4/5 should be able to handle it.

It's a strange one though. Turn 4 is particularly awkward, as it doesn't look like a hairpin when you approach it. I was surprised how sharp it looks on a map.

I feel the track is just made for the X-Bow or the E30 Gr. A those cars are such insane fun on it. But yeah it works with nearly everything, but the F40 is just no fun on it those breaks....

dsk1210

That video is very nice, love a bit of chemical brothers.

Having tons of fun with this, still using a controller at the moment which is probably making life harder than it should be, but I have a config I feel pretty happy with for the 360 controller now.

Looking forward to this moving forward, there is huge potential in this game, the mechanics feel amazing.

Wow. That sets the bar. There were times where it was like a Gran Turismo trailer, such is the level of camera skill and editing. How do you even do this in AC?

TJP

Recorded some laps at Monza with the P4/5. This car honestly feels too easy to drive with the stock settings.
It's a point that's been brought up before on the official forums and rebutted by the Kunos dev team who quoted a driver of the car - it's built for the 'gentleman racer' for enduro racing with ABS, TC plus a detuned engine per the regulations.

Seanspeed

Banned
Just tried Magione for the first time last night. It's a fun track but only tried the Mp4-12C on it....so far.

If you like the 458: Spotted this really well made fan made video on YT
So good. What a magnificent car, too.

Something else I like about that video is that this is what the game actually looks like! Most trailers/vids are in-engine or have replay modes that add all sorts of post-processing effects, but this is a no nonsense, what you see is what you get vid.

Shaneus

It's so weird, looking at pCARS trailers and that AC one, there's still an artificial feeling to the former that the latter doesn't have, despite theoretically looking "better". I don't think it's just the suspension modelling either... maybe it's the colours.

Kunos are on such a winner with AC, it's kind of ridiculous just how small a team they are.

Watevaman

It's a point that's been brought up before on the official forums and rebutted by the Kunos dev team who quoted a driver of the car - it's built for the 'gentleman racer' for enduro racing with ABS, TC plus a detuned engine per the regulations.

Ah, well if they race the real thing with ABS on maybe I'll keep it on in that car. That's one thing I wish sims would do: provide a "real" assists setting where they have the assists turned on or off depending on what the real car has. Only game that's done it that I can think of is Enthusia for PS2.

Top Bottom