• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa: Early Access |OT|

Ah, well if they race the real thing with ABS on maybe I'll keep it on in that car. That's one thing I wish sims would do: provide a "real" assists setting where they have the assists turned on or off depending on what the real car has. Only game that's done it that I can think of is Enthusia for PS2.
I think you're somewhat confused there - AC does exactly this - the P4/5 has both ABS and TC in real life, so when your global setting in AC is ABS and TC 'off', they remain 'on' when you drive the P4/5, which is why it feels easy.

Morzak

Ah, well if they race the real thing with ABS on maybe I'll keep it on in that car. That's one thing I wish sims would do: provide a "real" assists setting where they have the assists turned on or off depending on what the real car has. Only game that's done it that I can think of is Enthusia for PS2.

ABS is on for all the cars that have ABS active as standard (the driving aid is not the same as the cars ABS). You can turn on/off the cars ABS with CTRL-B in session. AFAIK TCS is disabled by default for all cars if you disable the driving aid, but you can activate the Cars own TCS through CTRL-T, depending on the car you will get different levels of TCS to cycle through, probably modelled after the real thing. Also most if not all the Race cars have Soft slicks on by default for endurance cars like the P4/5 hards would be more appropriate.

Watevaman

I think you're somewhat confused there - AC does exactly this - the P4/5 has both ABS and TC in real life, so when your global setting in AC is ABS and TC 'off', they remain 'on' when you drive the P4/5, which is why it feels easy.

Oh I thought that was a bug in the game. I'd keep having to go and turn it off with the keyboard shortcut, so I have been running with at least ABS off.

Are you sure about the TC, though? I didn't see a little symbol in the basic HUD that said TC and I have it off in the custom settings before entering the track.

Oh I thought that was a bug in the game. I'd keep having to go and turn it off with the keyboard shortcut, so I have been running with at least ABS off.

Are you sure about the TC, though? I didn't see a little symbol in the basic HUD that said TC and I have it off in the custom settings before entering the track.
I don't think you can run with ABS off if the car has it, no matter what the display says. At least, that's how it was in P&G... same physics guy so I thought it would be the same philosophy.

As for TC, I thought the same applies there - although I only gave the P4/5 a brief blast a while ago. It certainly felt like TC was on, will try it again later.

Seanspeed

Banned
I've been able to turn ABS off with any car that has it on automatically.

Not always with good results, though. Not having any brake pressure settings means some cars will lock up way too easily for me.

Watevaman

I just tested again with the P4/5 and with both ABS and TC off in the global settings before the race, only ABS was activated in the race. And I could also turn it off (with Ctrl+A) and it actually turned it off as I was completely locking my wheels. TC was off and I confirmed this by turning it on with the keyboard shortcut and it did affect it.

I just tested again with the P4/5 and with both ABS and TC off in the global settings before the race, only ABS was activated in the race. And I could also turn it off (with Ctrl+A) and it actually turned it off as I was completely locking my wheels. TC was off and I confirmed this by turning it on with the keyboard shortcut and it did affect it.
Oh. My bad, I didn't think it was possible to override it. Is what Morzak said true, regarding cycling through different levels of TC? I remember the rear of the P4/5 being remarkably stable and resistant to oversteer.

Watevaman

With the P4/5 there's only one level of both TC and ABS. With the global setting set to off, the TC is off, but the ABS stays on.

The levels depend on the car. For example, the Zonda R has 12 levels (including off) of both ABS and TC, whereas a car like the 458 has a few levels of TC and just ABS on or off.

edit: Can someone confirm that the off-track penalty "fix" isn't working? I've tried setting it to both -1 and 4 in the .ini file and neither works. I'm really hoping they add the ability to turn it off in the future or at least realize that I don't need it when I'm in practice mode.

Morzak

Oh. My bad, I didn't think it was possible to override it. Is what Morzak said true, regarding cycling through different levels of TC? I remember the rear of the P4/5 being remarkably stable and resistant to oversteer.

Whatevaman posted already, depending on the car there are different amounts of TC settings (P 4/5 has only one ), but the standard setting is off if you disabled the driving aid. And turning of ABS is CTR-A not CTRL-B I don't know why I had that I'n my head. You can turn of ABS on the P4/5 and locking up is not to difficult then (If you have the standard display on you shouldn't see the ABS light flashing anymore. TC is definitely of but with the base setup and the super soft tyres the thing just sticks and tends to just understeer, Slap on Hard tyres and it's easier to spin the rears, but overall it's still a forgiving car.

As for the off track fix, I think it only works for Practice mode not hotlapping or timetrial. but I didn't test that yet.

Three60

Looks like they secured license for McLaren P1, Marco Massarutto just posted this on his facebook >

Y8MCsGa.jpg

It will go nicely against LaF :)

Whatevaman posted already, depending on the car there are different amounts of TC settings (P 4/5 has only one ), but the standard setting is off if you disabled the driving aid. And turning of ABS is CTR-A not CTRL-B I don't know why I had that I'n my head. You can turn of ABS on the P4/5 and locking up is not to difficult then (If you have the standard display on you shouldn't see the ABS light flashing anymore. TC is definitely of but with the base setup and the super soft tyres the thing just sticks and tends to just understeer, Slap on Hard tyres and it's easier to spin the rears, but overall it's still a forgiving car.
Mmm indeed. I tried it again last night, and I found it pretty horrible to drive tbh. It looks awkward and bouncy from the cockpit view, and yet it seems stable and grippy. Not sure if want

Zeth

Looks like they secured license for McLaren P1, Marco Massarutto just posted this on his facebook >

Y8MCsGa.jpg

It will go nicely against LaF :)

Wow. They must have a lot of money. Aren't these probably some of the most pricey licenses? Glad they're doing it though!

Do we have an idea of what's in the next update? Beta AI?

Of the three hypercars of the moment, I think the 918 is the most appealing in terms of looks - both the McLaren and Ferrari are bit fussy in comparison. But I guess Porsche is still tied up in some bullshit exclusivity deal?

Shaneus

Of the three hypercars of the moment, I think the 918 is the most appealing in terms of looks - both the McLaren and Ferrari are bit fussy in comparison. But I guess Porsche is still tied up in some bullshit exclusivity deal?
Yup. Porsche still = EA :/

I wouldn't even mind if there was exclusivity with a company that makes moderately decent driving games (T10/Polyphony) but that EA squander it on shitty arcade racers that aren't even that great... ugh.

TJP

Perhaps the reigns on Porsche are becoming looser as SimBin/RRE just posted a picture on fecalbook of a Porsche 935 - something they usually do prior to releasing a new car.

Perhaps the reigns on Porsche are becoming looser as SimBin/RRE just posted a picture on fecalbook of a Porsche 935 - something they usually do prior to releasing a new car.

That particular 935, the "Coke Cola Fabcar", isn't actually a factory 935. It used Porsche running gear, but it's on a custom chassis. I think the fine print says it's not actually a Porsche at all.

Rufs, fantasy Rufs, non-Porsches. If Porsche wants to poorly manage their digital licenses, fuck 'em. Keep the alternatives coming.

Dave_6

Thinking about getting into this this weekend since I don't have one racing sim on my PC. Will my DFGT wheel that I use for my PS3 work with this?

Seanspeed

Banned
1) Messing with FOV settings a bit more wildly(I usually like to make small incremental changes in settings), I've found that 72 degrees is actually amazingly driveable for me, despite the lack of visibility and inherent spatial awareness disadvantage. I have no idea what it is, but I can run times pretty much on-par with what I do in hood/bumper view. I *love* cockpit view, so this is pretty great.

2) I bought a new sound card(Xonar DGX) a little while ago and its been great. It has a 'Dolby Headphone' setting that I, at first, found to be a little too artificial sounding and echo-y. Especially with the virtual 7.1 option clicked. It was more lively sounding, but wasn't accurate and didn't sound natural. However, the other day I had a hunch to try it out with Assetto Corsa. I figured maybe the less precise nature wont matter too much when its a more all-encompassing wall of sound sort of deal and I was right. It sounds fucking superb and alive.

These two discoveries have really made the experience a magnitude more enjoyable and it was already quite good as it was.

And to think - I still don't even have a wheel yet!

Dear god, can you see the back seats with that fov? ;-) You're crazy, Speed!

Does AC have a fore/aft seat adjustment that's independent of the fov? Those are always helpful for people with needs.

Isn't AC still stereo though? I thought they hadn't implemented any kind of surround at all with it.

Dolby Headphone is processing that gives you faux multichannel over headphones. I have a Yamaha receiver that does a similar thing with it's Silent Cinema, and it's surprising convincing. Yeah it sounds processed, but you do get pretty well blended surround from just a pair of headphones. I tried it with BF4, and I was actually fairly impressed. Much less so for things like movies where dialogue and musical scores take a hit, but for games it's pretty good.

EDIT: Scratch all that. Does it need a multichannel source? I think that's what you're asking. You might be right. I think you are right. I'm not even sure, tbh.

Shaneus

Dolby Headphone needs a multichannel source, yeah. I mean, it doesn't *need* it (it can still process it into Pro Logic-equivalent surround) but I'm pretty sure it doesn't do any fake surround with only a stereo signal. At least, not as good as Seanspeed's implying.

Maybe surround has been introduced into the latest build?

Seanspeed

Banned

Does AC have a fore/aft seat adjustment that's independent of the fov? Those are always helpful for people with needs.
Its really not that far back.

Dolby Headphone needs a multichannel source, yeah. I mean, it doesn't *need* it (it can still process it into Pro Logic-equivalent surround) but I'm pretty sure it doesn't do any fake surround with only a stereo signal. At least, not as good as Seanspeed's implying.

Maybe surround has been introduced into the latest build?
I have no idea how that all works. I just know it makes a noticeable difference. Kind of gives it a more open-headphone sound with my closed headphones or something.

Wouldn't go overanalysing things here. Just found something I found made a difference with the setup I have.

Morzak

You can adjust the seating position on a per car basis in session. there is an option in the in session menu to do that you can also adjust the FOV directly from there.

As for Xonar dolby headphone support I feel it's absolutely amazing in games with proper multichannel support, way better then all the x.1 headsets i ever tried and gives me better positional audio then my 5.1 set in the living room.

friday

Finally tried Joux Plane tonight, jesus that stage is amazing. Finally finished it after about 9 or 10 tries. Awesome stuff.

Seanspeed

Banned
Finally tried Joux Plane tonight, jesus that stage is amazing. Finally finished it after about 9 or 10 tries. Awesome stuff.
I've still only finished it a couple times, but I'm also pushing hard each run and trying to get faster.

I read from one of the AC devs that the AI can run low 1:53's in clean air at Monza with the Formula Abarth. That's pretty good, I think. I'm currently doing low 1:54's and know I can get into the 1:53's with a good lap and low 1:53's should prove a good challenge.

I know that wont challenge some of the best guys, but I doubt they were expecting that anyways.

Dave_6

So I bought this Friday night but was having issues getting my DFGT to work properly with it. Did some Googling and realized I needed to download a Logitech Profiler so it would work correctly with a PC. Wow, this game is so much fun and I absolutely love the audio and the physics! Like someone mentioned, I feel nuances with the wheel that I've yet to feel on any other racing game (this is my first PC racing sim experience).

friday

Anyone here have a fanatec gt3 or similar wheel? I am going to order one soon and I don't know if I should get the desk mounting plate or not. I have heard bad things about their clamping system so I don't know if I should go ahead and just order it with the wheel, what do you guys think?

Zeth

So I bought this Friday night but was having issues getting my DFGT to work properly with it. Did some Googling and realized I needed to download a Logitech Profiler so it would work correctly with a PC. Wow, this game is so much fun and I absolutely love the audio and the physics! Like someone mentioned, I feel nuances with the wheel that I've yet to feel on any other racing game (this is my first PC racing sim experience).

Same here and I couldn't be happier. I feel like I'm going to be spoiled moving to other sims. But I couldn't be more excited to see AC develop. Super excited for each update.

kafiend

http://uk.gamesplanet.com/buy-download-pc-games/Richard-Burns-Rally-235-39.html

Gamesplanet is the only website I've seen selling RBR digital version. I have no idea why they have the license to sell the game (and no one else does?) or how their downloader works. I just know RBR has been popping into their top5 sellers list every now and then probably because, as I said, it's likely the only place selling digital copy of that game.

I know I'm late to the party on this one but £4.34 and no postage for a new sealed copy of RBR is a great deal. Mentioned it because of that track conversion earlier and just in case there were other sinners like me that didn't own it. Mine was marked as dispatched in under an hour - UK Ebay and 10+ available. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RICHARD-B...ideo_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item2334af7344

Shaneus

Same here and I couldn't be happier. I feel like I'm going to be spoiled moving to other sims. But I couldn't be more excited to see AC develop. Super excited for each update.
You know, I'm thinking this is the case for a lot of people across the board. Even with titles like GSC (but especially rFactor), they still give the impressions that sims need to have outdated GUIs and a billion settings to adjust otherwise they're not a real sim. But Kunos with AC have flipped that stereotype on it's head completely. And good on them for doing so.

CLR_CMOS

Neo Member
Anyone here have a fanatec gt3 or similar wheel? I am going to order one soon and I don't know if I should get the desk mounting plate or not. I have heard bad things about their clamping system so I don't know if I should go ahead and just order it with the wheel, what do you guys think?

I've got a GT2. Definitely buy a stand for it because the clamp on the wheel is terrible. I can recommend the Wheel Stand Pro. I've had it for about a year now and I'm extremely pleased with it...

Zeth

When is the next update supposed to hit? I've been playing so damn much lately - I need to get that leaderboard app to see how bad I am. On the bright side I am starting to beat some of my original controller lap times after having my g27 for a month or so. Something that seemed daunting at first. I'm starting to really get a feel for the cars and I've dropped stability control which I once needed to stay on the road for more than a few turns.

Top Bottom