• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa: Early Access |OT|

friday

I've got a GT2. Definitely buy a stand for it because the clamp on the wheel is terrible. I can recommend the Wheel Stand Pro. I've had it for about a year now and I'm extremely pleased with it...

My desk is stable and strong so I am just going to get fanatec's table clamp with my wheel, it's supper solid looking and only $50

Three60

When is the next update supposed to hit?.

This friday January 17th..

It will include (amongst other things) BMW 1M and (probably) AI..

fM55s60.jpg

^ AI testing @ SilverstoneGP

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Has anyone playing this also spent time with the Project Cars beta? Are they really comparable or are there big differences in certain ways? Is it a kind of "Just get both" situation?

Watevaman

Has anyone playing this also spent time with the Project Cars beta? Are they really comparable or are there big differences in certain ways? Is it a kind of "Just get both" situation?

They'll both be worth it in the end, but I'd say AC has better overall feeling. Mainly because AC's cars and tracks are in their final stages, unlike PCars where stuff ranges from alpha 1 to beta 2.

kafiend

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but unless things have changed, the pCars beta is not taking new sign ups and I don't think there are plans have more.

GHG

Gold Member
Is the game going to ever have a proper release?

Yep. Across both Next Gen platforms, the Wii U and PC of course.

The word on the ETA is - "when its ready".

Plenty of cool features are still being added and suggested but I think the target is Q4 this year.

Considering the current state its in I think thats quite ambitious and we will likely be seeing a H1 2015 release.

All things considered, I think AC looks to be shaping up quite nicely. Might have to jump in soon to see how it compares to PCars. Is the online multiplayer being tested in the beta yet?

CLR_CMOS

Neo Member
My desk is stable and strong so I am just going to get fanatec's table clamp with my wheel, it's supper solid looking and only $50

Sure, that will work too...

Also I don't know what pedal set you're planning to get, but if you buy the standard CSR pedals (not the CSR Elite) you will most likely need this. Without the pedal filter most people (including myself) get pedal "spiking" and random disconnects. This is not a problem on pedal sets that work as standalone USB devices.

friday

Sure, that will work too...

Also I don't know what pedal set you're planning to get, but if you buy the standard CSR pedals (not the CSR Elite) you will most likely need this. Without the pedal filter most people (including myself) get pedal "spiking" and random disconnects. This is not a problem on pedal sets that work as standalone USB devices.

I am getting the CSP Elite set for sure, no use in buying Fanatec if I am not getting the load cell braking.

Seanspeed

Banned
Assetto Corsa is like rFactor in that its built to be heavily mod driven. So it's going to have less 'out-of-the-box' content, but will have lots of opportunity to play it how you want to.

Project Cars will have more content out-of-the-box, but will also be locked down so what you get is what you get. So it will be more of a traditional racing game experience.

I also trust Assetto Corsa's physics more. I've seen some sketchy vids of pCars that make me question its physics and while I've seen people defend it, I kind of trust my eye on this sort of thing. I'm sure it will be decent, but I suspect that AC will be the better 'sim' of the two. But its weird, because AC also seems to be intent on incorporating more diverse and mainstream elements like car showcases, drifting modes and drag racing. They are trying to lay a pretty wide and solid groundbase to be built upon by the community and I think that will pay off in the end.

If you're a sim racing fan, they both absolutely have their place and both should be worth your while. pCars looks absolutely ridiculous, if you haven't seen. I got ridiculed for saying it before in another thread, but I think its one of the best looking games out there, period.

Shaneus

Assetto Corsa is like rFactor in that its built to be heavily mod driven. So it's going to have less 'out-of-the-box' content, but will have lots of opportunity to play it how you want to.

Project Cars will have more content out-of-the-box, but will also be locked down so what you get is what you get. So it will be more of a traditional racing game experience.

I also trust Assetto Corsa's physics more. I've seen some sketchy vids of pCars that make me question its physics and while I've seen people defend it, I kind of trust my eye on this sort of thing. I'm sure it will be decent, but I suspect that AC will be the better 'sim' of the two. But its weird, because AC also seems to be intent on incorporating more diverse and mainstream elements like car showcases, drifting modes and drag racing. They are trying to lay a pretty wide and solid groundbase to be built upon by the community and I think that will pay off in the end.

If you're a sim racing fan, they both absolutely have their place and both should be worth your while. pCars looks absolutely ridiculous, if you haven't seen. I got ridiculed for saying it before in another thread, but I think its one of the best looking games out there, period.
Could not be summed up better. No idea why you'd be ridiculed for saying how good it looks, though. It's a statement of fact that in screenshots, it's definitely the best looking racer. But in motion, there's still something that detracts from it which AC has in spades. Some kind of an "X factor", I guess.

Seanspeed

Banned
Could not be summed up better. No idea why you'd be ridiculed for saying how good it looks, though. It's a statement of fact that in screenshots, it's definitely the best looking racer. But in motion, there's still something that detracts from it which AC has in spades. Some kind of an "X factor", I guess.
I admit, I haven't seen any uncompressed, direct feed footage of pCars, but I cant get over how good this looks still:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6j9pFdNeqE

Its just amazing.

Dilly

Banned
I just still don't enjoy PCars, just doesn't feel right to me, so far Assetto Corsa trumps it in my opinion.

Statements like these I really don't understand. There are certain cars in pCARS that feel excellent already even in this stage of development, while others are 'terrible' because they haven't had work done to them in months. In this stage of development there is no way you can lump all of them together and judge the physics as a whole.

The new GT tires are also very good handling wise, and defintely almost as good as AC's physics.

The shipping of my Omega Wheel Stand got delayed to the 20th, so I have to try to stay patient. I quickly tried AC on my new Bravia yesterday and it's glorious. Can't wait to get back into the game soon. Worried about performance with AI on track though.

kafiend

Statements like these I really don't understand. There are certain cars in pCARS that feel excellent already even in this stage of development, while others are 'terrible' because they haven't had work done to them in months. In this stage of development there is no way you can lump all of them together and judge the physics as a whole.

The new GT tires are also very good handling wise, and defintely almost as good as AC's physics.

Some cars I get in and last under a lap before its NOPE. Other cars I get obsessed with. I just love that Zakspeed Capri.

I'm also totally opposite to JamboGT in that I keep coming back to pCars and haven't got my head wrapped round Asseto Corsa yet. I know it's great, but it just doesn't do it for me. Yet...

Morzak

The shipping of my Omega Wheel Stand got delayed to the 20th, so I have to try to stay patient. I quickly tried AC on my new Bravia yesterday and it's glorious. Can't wait to get back into the game soon. Worried about performance with AI on track though.

I got the info that It will ship on the 21st or 22nd. I hope they can stick to those dates would be here a few days after my exams are finished and then I will need it. Will have to force myself to not play over the weekend if they actually introduce AI.....

JamboGT

In regards to Project Cars, it obviously still has work to do, I will get it when it comes out but so far there is little I have felt the need to come back to. Hopefully when the final game comes I will be all happy.

In regards to Assetto Corsa, decided to have a quick go over lunch with the pad, struggled to find a setting I liked, any tips for pad settings?

dsk1210

In regards to Project Cars, it obviously still has work to do, I will get it when it comes out but so far there is little I have felt the need to come back to. Hopefully when the final game comes I will be all happy.

In regards to Assetto Corsa, decided to have a quick go over lunch with the pad, struggled to find a setting I liked, any tips for pad settings?

You can try mines out, see how they feel to you.

Steering speed 44%
Gamma 4
Filter 0.85
Speed sensitivity 0.05
Deadzone 0.3 or 0.2 (depends on your controller)

Hope that helps, give me feedback if you can.

Seanspeed

Banned
The important controller settings to change for me are:

Steering Speed - turn this up high. I have it like 75 or 85 or something.

Speed Sensitivity - you pretty much need to have it at .05 or lower because anything higher and certain cars will have steering lock that make it impossible to take certain tighter corners correctly.

I think we've said it before, but Martin Robinson is the gold standard for sim writing. Really nice piece.

Yep, he is the man.

And what the review is basically saying is, they just "get it". Kunos is doing an excellent job of just delivering things that hardcore fans always wanted but could not always find.

Shaneus

I think we've said it before, but Martin Robinson is the gold standard for sim writing. Really nice piece.
We should actually copypasta it (or link it) in the OP for those who are curious about it. Reads much better than anything I think any of us could write ;)
I'm not sure what the exposure of Eurogamer is like to people who would try that sort of thing but wouldn't have heard of it already, but hopefully it's at least a few.

Raknar

Neo Member
I got the info that It will ship on the 21st or 22nd. I hope they can stick to those dates would be here a few days after my exams are finished and then I will need it. Will have to force myself to not play over the weekend if they actually introduce AI.....

It's a very good, solid wheel stand. You'll enjoy it, especially if you were just using the clamp or had it on your lap previously.

I couldn't resist when I saw the GT Omega Pro was on sale. I've got to wait a month before it will be shipped though. It's probably for the best that it arrives after I have moved flat and handed my dissertation in!

TJP

Eurogamer's Assetto Corsa beta review. Linked to by Luca(?) on his Twitter... couldn't be more glowing.
It's a very solid review by a person missed at IGN UK but this sentence threw me a little: "It's debatable whether Assetto Corsa's handling model is the equal of Gran Turismo, Forza or iRacing" - dafuq is this Martin?

Good to see C3P0 making a few comments on Eurogamer too. I'd imagine most people know him from rF2 and pCARS forums (where he nearly got refunded at one point IIRC) plus a few BBC stories including a long piece about F1 simulators.

Yep, he is the man.

And what the review is basically saying is, they just "get it". Kunos is doing an excellent job of just delivering things that hardcore fans always wanted but could not always find.

Yeah, I think that's very true. For whatever reason, AC has really hit a nerve with folks. You could break down why that is, but you know, it doesn't even matter. People excited about racing games is always a very good thing.

We should actually copypasta it (or link it) in the OP for those who are curious about it. Reads much better than anything I think any of us could write ;)
I'm not sure what the exposure of Eurogamer is like to people who would try that sort of thing but wouldn't have heard of it already, but hopefully it's at least a few.

"Cahz gud, yezz. Here's gif." You saying I have to step up my game?!

Latest on tomorrow's update:

For this first AI update, we won’t give you the complete grid AI enabled. There will only be some special events quick races, with some cars on some tracks that will give you a taste as I said of Ai races.

I know that everybody wants the full monty, but I’m also sure that you understand that we need to test the performance of the AI on various systems, check for bugs, improve it and so on. It is far easier for us to do so on some specific scenarios, than having to control the whole Assetto Corsa grid at once.

A few new cars, and an updated tire model as well.

Shaneus

Yeah, I think that's very true. For whatever reason, AC has really hit a nerve with folks. You could break down why that is, but you know, it doesn't even matter. People excited about racing games is always a very good thing.
I think it's because this is the first time a game that can legitimately call itself a "sim" whilst stepping up the overall presentation to the level it deserves. Also helps that the community is getting both great visibility and enthusiasm from the developer.

"Cahz gud, yezz. Here's gif." You saying I have to step up my game?!
Yes. More gifs, less words.

psn

2371600-9530080022-13605.gif

Assetto Corsa Update:

-AI on some events
-Lotus Evora GTE
-BMW 1m

Thats all I know for now, going to play as soon as its ready.

Check your Steam library, its updating right now.

psn

It also has a completely rewritten tyre model apparently. I want to know how that feels.

Just drove the new BMW 1m and it feels really close so far, I had one until may last year :)

I think the new tyre model is not that different, but it feels as it has less understeer now. But I only had some laps in my favourite cars so far.

It also has a completely rewritten tyre model apparently. I want to know how that feels.

I'll have to try this after work today and see how it feels. I was tossing the Lotus 49 around a couple of days ago for an hour or two, so it's still fresh on my mind. The tires at that time exhibited some unrealistic behavior when clutch-kicking and cooking them at slip angles < 45°, so I'm interested to see if this new tire model feels any better when gatebil-ing around.

Zeth

I get that the 1M is not a high-revving engine, but how do I shift properly? From a few laps it seems I need to leave the stick in neutral for a moment before up-shifting to let the revs drop quite a bit. With the clutch not yet functioning this is really throwing me off. Still have to put more time in though.

friday

Ordered my fanatec wheel last night. I have never used a wheel with a clutch and h-shifter so I am really excited, but I think load cell braking is the feature I am most looking forward too.

You are in for a treat then, there's a small learning curve with a loadcell so play around with the sensitivity a bit after you get comfortable.

What shifter did you get, the CSR set or Clubsport?

Top Bottom