• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa: Early Access |OT|

Seanspeed

Banned
Ordered my fanatec wheel last night. I have never used a wheel with a clutch and h-shifter so I am really excited, but I think load cell braking is the feature I am most looking forward too.
I've never used any of those features either and I agree that the load cell brake pedal would be the most exciting thing. Pedals really do feel like the weak point in the chain to me from the wheels I've experienced.

Anyways, diving in right now to check out the AI!

I got the info that It will ship on the 21st or 22nd. I hope they can stick to those dates would be here a few days after my exams are finished and then I will need it. Will have to force myself to not play over the weekend if they actually introduce AI.....

You're right, it's the 21st/22nd. Was a little bummed out over the delay, after all I paid in full. I hope the long wait will be worth it, but the stand looks awesome!

Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnng, I really want to play the game with my wheel now, update sounds so tempting.

friday

You are in for a treat then, there's a small learning curve with a loadcell so play around with the sensitivity a bit after you get comfortable.

What shifter did you get, the CSR set or Clubsport?

Just the CSR set, the pedals are CSR elite. Fanatec has a gt3 combo for all 3 that is only $270.

I've never used any of those features either and I agree that the load cell brake pedal would be the most exciting thing. Pedals really do feel like the weak point in the chain to me.

The brake on mt DFGT is so soft I cannot turn abs off, so yeah I am pumped.

Just the CSR set, the pedals are CSR elite. Fanatec has a gt3 combo for all 3 that is only $270.

Nice, I've got the old plastic Porsche one with the same base. The shifter has a bit of a clack when changing gears but theres a few easy mods to quieten it, pulling the bearing and casing out will instantly make it silent but spongier. It's easily reversible though.

Update impressions:

I don't know if it's the tyre model or they addressed the problems with the T500 FFB or a combination of the two, but it feels significantly better through my wheel now. The feedback overall just seems smoother and more natural. In my brief test I didn't notice any drastic difference in the way the cars behave, so perhaps it is more to do with the FFB than the tyres.

AI is decent in this unfinished state, lots of room to improve. Suffers from typical AI problems - slow off the line, too slow into corners, too fast out of them, brake lights flashing wildly mid corner, etc. Once they're spread out, the leading cars offer a good challenge on Hard. They seem to lock brakes a lot, which looks a bit odd on cars with ABS. They make plenty of mistakes, maybe too many, and you can spin them out, unlike Gran Turismo where they're apparently glued to the road. It's good to see a few other cars on the track anyway, and to see how it affects the rendering performance - not bad at all.

Other thing I noticed - I was having problems with the clutch before this update - pulling away smoothly almost always resulted in a stall (saved by the anti-stall but clearly happening) unless I revved like mad and lifted the clutch pedal reeeally carefully. The biting point seems wider and more forgiving now - I'm able to pull away in a civilised manner.

Watevaman

First impressions: love the 1M and AI is fun. I did the Fiat 500 race on hard and was still about 10 seconds off the leader after the 5 laps. I'm what I'd say is average, not some Schumacher of the sims, but it was definitely fun.

microtubule

It's a very solid review by a person missed at IGN UK but this sentence threw me a little: "It's debatable whether Assetto Corsa's handling model is the equal of Gran Turismo, Forza or iRacing" - dafuq is this Martin?

Yeah, handling models are subjective and I haven't played iRacing but I have 100's of hours in Forza 4 and GT5/GT6. After tonight's patch applied, I fired up the F40 on Mugello and couldn't help but think if those games had AC's tire model/physics...oh boy!

Tonight's patch notes:

Early Access 0.5

End Race simulation
New Race special events
Session Ranking app fixes
Driver Names displayer
Proximity Indicator & damage displayer follow GUI
Small GUI fixes
Special events have pre-determinate parameters such as Temperature
Warning for high CPU occupancy
Real time position
Steam Achievement fixes
fixed suspension animator in replay
chase camera shake parameters exposed in launcher
Modifications on tyre model combined forces grip. Tyres more sensitive in combined forces, cars more sensitive under braking and acceleration. Resulting in use of traction control more interesting even on racing cars
Modifications on tyres heating modelling.
BMW Z4 35is drift upgrade
BMW M3 E30 group.A is now the early model with less power and no ABS plus chassis modifications and 5 speed gearbox
BMW M3 E30 DTM version is now an upgrade to the early model and retains only the 6 speed gearboxes.
BMW 1M series
Lotus Evora GTE
Modifications on Ferrari F40 suspension toe links
Modifications on Tatuus FA01 aerodynamic drag.
BMW Z4 35is toe fixes and tyre compound fixes
Pagani Zonda R ABS levels
Laptimes have now 1ms resolutions
Ferrari 599XX Evo default alignment setup modified to cure over-sensitive steering.

Zeth

Not related to new content but: Is there any way to use my H shifter with the P4/5? It seems to only default to paddles. It's definitely one of my favorites lately. Really sticks to the road.

1M default cockpit is bit off - had to slide my monitor a bit to the left; didn't mind :p
And nice to see the patch notes. I'll have to give the 599/F40 another go tomorrow.

kafiend

I have had the double pleasure of installing a GTEYE brake mod into my G25 yesterday and AI introduction into AC today. Happy days.

microtubule

First impressions: love the 1M and AI is fun. I did the Fiat 500 race on hard and was still about 10 seconds off the leader after the 5 laps. I'm what I'd say is average, not some Schumacher of the sims, but it was definitely fun.

I did it on medium, fifth place my first try. Never drove the Fiat 500's in AC before but it was fun with 12 other 500's swinging around Magione. FPS did not seem a problem at all which was nice.

Gamepad seems much more playable now as well. Tested the F40 and Fiat 500 so far but it feels much better control wise.

kafiend

What's your verdict on GTEYE?

Fantastic!

I might find it hard to describe without being hyperbolic. The difference between using a linear pressure spring to one that increases resistance on travel distance is just amazing and I'm certain it will skim plenty off my laptimes in whatever game I play.

I had a glorious moment yesterday in AC coming down to the first corner in the BMW race. Lockup, brake pump, lockup, pump again to less pressure, no lockup, get round corner...just.
Using the old brake pedal I would have been off for sure because of the way you need to remember distance traveled on the pedal, rather than allow the pedal to somewhat dictate its own travel distance.

For the price, it is brilliant.

So I've just tried the new tires and the 1M and I think I'll need to put my playseat away or I may never get out of it again. :O

ibbzA5Ow7TCcek.gif

Zeth

What's up with the clutch? I have all assists off but it still doesn't seem to be necessary - at least with the DTM BMW, F40 and P4/5. It disengages, but I have no issues if I just lift off on upshift and blip throttle for downshift. Also I know very little about manual transmissions, so this game is sort of teaching me, in case this question is dumb.

edit: After trying a few cars, the 1M seems to require the clutch unless I shift 2k+ rpm before redline.

Zeth

What do the race events consist of? I take it there's not really much in the way of a campaign yet.

There are 4 special events, which are 5 lap races with 12 cars. Your car and opponents are preset on each, one is mixed. I had some fun with the races, but I'm still mostly hotlapping in various cars- the physics model is brilliant.

How can i be so bad at driving normal car ?

I mean i do well with open wheel or car as such as Ferrari Evo or Pagani Zonda but i suck with BMW and other GT car as well. I mean it's hard for me to do a lap without having to go outside with these cars.

Man i suck...

Deband

There are 4 special events, which are 5 lap races with 12 cars. Your car and opponents are preset on each, one is mixed. I had some fun with the races, but I'm still mostly hotlapping in various cars- the physics model is brilliant.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm on the fence about whether to drop £30 on this yet. Especially with getting GT6 for Xmas.

Seanspeed

Banned
How can i be so bad at driving normal car ?

I mean i do well with open wheel or car as such as Ferrari Evo or Pagani Zonda but i suck with BMW and other GT car as well. I mean it's hard for me to do a lap without having to go outside with these cars.

Man i suck...
I'm still not entirely comfortable with many of the higher-powered road cars myself. Its mainly using a controller I think, because it requires more 'fine-tuned' inputs. Things like unwinding coming out of corners or any quick changes of direction are just not suited to the less precise nature of the analog sticks in a game like this. Imola is a nightmare.

I simply cant drive confidently, which is actually quite a bummer. Its very hard to find a rhythm because I'm always feeling like I'm on the brink of disaster and having to be overly cautious at times, costing me precious lap time.

So you're not alone, man. Just take it easy and build up speed naturally rather than trying to test your limits immediately.

Anyways, had some goes with the races and its quite fun. The AI is quite fast when its on its own, but still has a tendency to not brake late enough. In the pack, its got a lot of typical racing game AI issues, being overly cautious at times and not all that competent in large groups. But these aren't really knocks, as its standard stuff and its otherwise quite good and reasonably challenging.

On to a pretty important, yet often overlooked aspect of racing sims - collision physics. They're fucking good. Great, even. There is no awkward disconnected feeling like in a game like Gran Turismo. Its a satisfying, solid feeling and the car reacts in a predictable manner(well, as predictable as crashing between two cars can be!). There's not quite as much of a 'crunch' sound when you hit another car as I'd like, but the scraping sounds are quite cool. Visually, the cars you come into contact with react quite realistic initially, but then seem to have a superhuman ability to quickly get back into their groove, while I'm often left spinning into the dirt. I did not see any visual damage. And I have no idea how much it affects you, but even slight contact seems to leave 'red' damage to your car, but I haven't really noticed that this translates to anything that affects you dramatically.

Last thing of note is that the race replay seems to only get like the last 30 seconds or so of the race, which is a bummer. That will hopefully be fixed soon as I like to save replays and would rather not have to capture everything through Shadowplay!

Anyways, yea, seems like a good start. Lots of promise. Just need some more realistic damage modelling(both visual and mechanical), some more cars on the grid and it should be pretty darn good for some offline racing.

Seems that they're going to be pushing hot fix later today…

-more slipstreaming
-no penalties (I'm guessing this is during an AI race)
-better AI after contact
-other small fixes

kafiend

-more slipstreaming
-better AI after contact
-other small fixes

They need to put barriers on the first corner of Monza then. You can already not brake, go straight and be in first after being penalized for being "naughty". Flag rules would be better though.

They need to put barriers on the first corner of Monza then. You can already not brake, go straight and be in first after being penalized for being "naughty". Flag rules would be better though.
Yeah, I think this is just a temporary measure until they've a better solution.

-more slipstreaming
-better AI after contact
-other small fixes

Full list

-more slipstreaming
-no penalties in race events
-AI acts more natural during collisions
-fixed session over leader board
-fixed session result post session
-replay memory slider increased to 500MB
-added missing BMW M3 grA skins
-modified collision boxes for very low cars (woohoo, no more rocketing in the air off of kerbs)

Good fixes. There were land mines all over Monza!

Last thing of note is that the race replay seems to only get like the last 30 seconds or so of the race, which is a bummer. That will hopefully be fixed soon as I like to save replays and would rather not have to capture everything through Shadowplay!

There's a replay data usage slider in the settings. The default was like 50MB, old slider went to 200MB and now it's 500MB.

Addy

Neo Member
Much better without the countdown penalty in the AI events. Self-policing until they have something better is the way to go.

Driving the AI event at Mugello with the E30 M3 is the most fun I've in a driving game/sim in ages...total blast.

Zeth

Still trying to learn drifting. Finding it very difficult to figure out, almost tempts me to try it with a controller.

The DTM M3 is my new favorite by the way.

Still trying to learn drifting. Finding it very difficult to figure out, almost tempts me to try it with a controller.

The DTM M3 is my new favorite by the way.
I think it's one of those things that is much more intuitive in reality - the real wheel has the force to countersteer all by itself, whereas FFB wheels sometimes lack the power and need some help along the way. And you feel the huge weight transfer when you're drifting one way and then the other all through your body in a real car, whereas you're waiting for visual cues in the sim for the same feeling. I've not tried it with a controller but if it's like GT6, I'd guess it would both help and hinder drifting - easier to react when you need to quickly steer in the other direction, but harder because there's no FFB to provide a few clues on what the tyres are doing. AC has a very progressive feeling of grip at large slip angles, so it should be one of the easier sims to drift, but I still find it difficult to string a long, elegant sequence together. I keep expecting to be able to Ken-Block my way around the drift track, but his purpose-built car is far more suited to such 'hooning' than anything in AC. One day... :)

How much do you already know about things like static vs. dynamic balance, slip angle, the "traction circle," etc.? I could write up a quick guide to get you sliding, but I don't want to bore you with the most basic technical details unless it's necessary to help your understanding of what's actually happening as you control a slide.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I played this on the Rift last night. It was quite good, however-

If the sun hits the asphalt on a certain angle, the entire groundplane becomes solid white making it impossible to see where the road is.

Is there a fix for this? I tried setting all different times of day on the tracks, and while some worked better than others, certain sections of the track still had this problem.

Unfortunately I can't disable HDR as that breaks Rift support.

friday

Got my fanatec gt3 RS today. The fit and finish of everything is great, but I have one big problem, the nice table mount I bought does not fit my damn desk correctly. I gotta get a handsaw tomorrow and make some adjustments. I used the table clamp it comes with (its horrid) instead so I could test it out. Setup and updating was not the most intuitive process, but I eventually got it figured out. The mounting system for the shifters is awful so I just stuck to the paddles. I can fix the mounting problem, but I have one other issue that needs to get worked out, how to stop my chair from rolling around. I am on a hardwood floor and the force required to use the load cell brake pushes me backwards. Anyone got a suggestion for stopping my chair?

First impressions were alright, but I really gotta get it mounted right before I can dial it in and really test it out. So far I am a bit bummed about it, the complexity and adjustability make it impossible to plug and play. Once I get it worked out I am sure it will be wonderful. I can say that the pedals are glorious.

Addy

Neo Member
Anyone got a suggestion for stopping my chair?

First impressions were alright, but I really gotta get it mounted right before I can dial it in and really test it out. So far I am a bit bummed about it, the complexity and adjustability make it impossible to plug and play. Once I get it worked out I am sure it will be wonderful. I can say that the pedals are glorious.

Grab some caster cups I have a playseat but still use the cups at my desk for day to day use.

The Fanatec wheels have presets (GT3 RS has 5 I think) so set it up for different games. Plus you can adjust on the fly....great system.

Ha, pretty cool. What rez did you have to drop it down to?

VirtualR picked it up too.

http://www.virtualr.net/assetto-corsa-on-a-surface-tablet-video
Oooh! I should have cleaned my desk!

It's running the following settings:

1280x720
V-sync: Off
AF: 4x
FXAA: Low
Shadow resolution: Low
World detail: Very High
HDR: On
Motion Blur: Off
Cubemap: Low
Faces per frame: 1

It seems to do 30-40fps with one car on track like this, so I've locked it to 30 and it doesn't seem to drop below so it's surprisingly smooth. With the default AI, it's more like 20fps on the grid, but climbs to 25 or so once settled. If I disable HDR, I can hit 30fps with AI too, so that's not bad at all. It's not something I'd be using to race against AI really, but for a quick blast this is good enough!

I wish I could figure out why I need to hit Alt+Enter every time though. If I could resolve that I wouldn't need to use a keyboard at all. I've tried some other games on it and some have required Alt+Enter the first time, but then they remember.

Shaneus

It's a few weeks old, but still great to watch... stabiz rocks it *again* with 458 vs. Imola.

God damn, this game <3

Also, possibly the best driver's face texture I've seen in a game. Love that aggro.

friday

Cut a notch in my desk tonight and got everything mounted up. Feels wonderful. The shifter is a lot of fun, and once I get my chair staying put I can really start to enjoy it.

vanty

Just got this today. First I was using the gamepad settings someone posted in here and I wasn't too happy with how it felt. But I found different settings on the Steam forums and these work far, far better for me.

EyzeUSr.png

Shaneus

Cut a notch in my desk tonight and got everything mounted up. Feels wonderful. The shifter is a lot of fun, and once I get my chair staying put I can really start to enjoy it.
I'd love to get a new shifter for my G27. Hell, even extending the stick on the current one would probably be a vast improvement.

paskowitz

I had a (college) party at my house last weekend. A handful of people saw my sim rig (CSW/CSPv2/CSS/Wooden rig/Sparco seat) and wanted to give it a try. While most people crashed and gave up, ~4 of people were car guys (hey, and one gal) and they pretty much ignored the party for the entire night. It was kinda crazy to see in the setting of a college party.

vanty

Eurogamer review said:
There are options implemented here that are still shocking in their absence from other big-hitting driving games: cars are available in stock mode, where the traction control and ABS settings mirror that of their real-life counterparts rather than you having to resort to fuzzy guesswork to get a genuine simulation of any given vehicle.
Where is that in the game? I can't see any option for stock settings when choosing a car or the assists.

Shaneus

I had a (college) party at my house last weekend. A handful of people saw my sim rig (CSW/CSPv2/CSS/Wooden rig/Sparco seat) and wanted to give it a try. While most people crashed and gave up, ~4 of people were car guys (hey, and one gal) and they pretty much ignored the party for the entire night. It was kinda crazy to see in the setting of a college party.
Wife the girl.

Where is that in the game? I can't see any option for stock settings when choosing a car or the assists.

I don't think there is an 'option' as such - this is just the default behaviour. The idea is that if you choose no assists in the menu, the cars that have electronic aids in reality still have them, apart from traction control, which is set off by default but remains a toggle.

For example, if your realism settings say ABS Off, and you drive a 458, it will have ABS On. If you want to turn ABS Off in a car that has ABS in reality, you have to hit Ctrl+A once you've loaded the sim (but there is little reason to do that). If your realism settings say ABS Off and you load an F40, it will have no ABS. If you hit Ctrl+A in an F40, it won't enable ABS. However... if you set your realism settings to have ABS On, and you drive the F40... it will have 'artificial' ABS On. And you can hit Crtl+A to turn it on or off.

With traction control, if your realism settings say TC Off, and you load a car that has traction control, it will be off, but you can hit Ctrl+T to enable it, and for certain cars you can cycle through a few levels of TC - for example the 458 has 4 levels of TC, presumably simulating the 'manettino' in the real car. If you hit Ctrl+T in an F40, nothing happens. But if your realism settings say TC On, your F40 will have 'artificial' TC On which you can toggle with Ctrl+T.

You can see what's happening if you open the 'Electronics' HUD widget.

By the way, I just tried those gamepad settings - pretty good! :)

microtubule

Just got this today. First I was using the gamepad settings someone posted in here and I wasn't too happy with how it felt. But I found different settings on the Steam forums and these work far, far better for me.

EyzeUSr.png

Thanks for posting, pretty good settings! Took some getting used to, a few laps at Mugello. Afterwards I took a 458 to Magione and only managed to penalty off course once during 5+ laps.

If I'm going to play with just a xbox controller as I have no plan to get a wheel, would you guys recommend this game or would I be missing out on to much of the simulation aspect to it? Debating on whether to get this or wait for pcars.

Top Bottom