• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa: Early Access |OT|

Shaneus

If I'm going to play with just a xbox controller as I have no plan to get a wheel, would you guys recommend this game or would I be missing out on to much of the simulation aspect to it? Debating on whether to get this or wait for pcars.
You're always going to miss out on too much of the simulation aspect of any sim game if you play with a controller. This is probably the closest, but it doesn't mean it's close enough.

Buy a wheel!

If I'm going to play with just a xbox controller as I have no plan to get a wheel, would you guys recommend this game or would I be missing out on to much of the simulation aspect to it? Debating on whether to get this or wait for pcars.
I'd say that's very much down to the individual, and what you're hoping to get out of it. I think AC and PCARS will end up with a great deal in common once they reach v1.0. Plenty of cars, plenty of tracks, plenty to get stuck into. With Slightly Mad's experience with making more 'games' than Kunos, I suspect PCARS will end up offering a more complete game-like presentation by v1.0, something with touch of 'fun' about it, like Gran Turismo. I expect AC to be a slightly more serious presentation.

I'm not referring to realism/physics - there's no reason why both shouldn't be aiming for the most realistic simulation - I just mean in the tone of the presentation, and the modes available.

You're always going to miss out on too much of the simulation aspect of any sim game if you play with a controller. This is probably the closest, but it doesn't mean it's close enough.

Buy a wheel!

I know ill miss out on the good stuff with just a controller but my hotas for flight sims already takes up space on my desk so a wheel is not an option for me. With that in mind just wondering what peoples take on whether this or pcars would be a better option for me.

dsk1210

I have 20hrs in this game with just controller so far and it hits a spot that not many other games can hit, there is something screamingly delicious about the physics and the feeling of immersion in the cockpit view, takes a little while to get your controller profile right but there are quite a few suggestions for settings on this very thread.

Shaneus

I know ill miss out on the good stuff with just a controller but my hotas for flight sims already takes up space on my desk so a wheel is not an option for me. With that in mind just wondering what peoples take on whether this or pcars would be a better option for me.
Yeah, Pazuzu sums that up pretty nicely one or two posts above, I think. You can never have too many sims, but if it was me I'd still probably jump into AC now... if only because we still don't know when pCARS is getting a full release.

kudoboi

imo the game is perfectly fine with a controller. But then again, I never really tried a wheel.

dsk1210

You can try mines out, see how they feel to you.

Steering speed 44%
Gamma 4
Filter 0.85
Speed sensitivity 0.05
Deadzone 0.3 or 0.2 (depends on your controller)

Hope that helps, give me feedback if you can.

That's what i use for the controller at the moment, maybe you will prefer one of the different setups, see how this works for you.

Shaneus

thanks for the feedback everybody, just bought it!
Yeah, I reckon you'll dig it. Sims up until now have been very user and newb-unfriendly, but AC has moved a LONG way in changing that. I think you'll enjoy getting in on the ground floor and watching the game evolve :) Possibly more fun than watching pCARS evolve anyway, because it seems like it's been such a tighter process for the Kunos guys.

friday

thanks for the feedback everybody, just bought it!

If you do like it enough to get a wheel, grab a G27 off of Ebay. That is probably the best $ per fun you can get with a sim racing wheel.

So, does the AI piss you guys off constantly in its current state? I feel like I can't make any kind of aggressive moves around them because they will bump me and the car flys off the track. I think for now I will stick to lapping because I stop having fun as soon as I get in those races. Now that I got my new wheel I should probably get GSC 2013 or something.

I am finally back to AC with my wheel stand assembled. I also switched from my monitor to my new Bravia and this is just a delicious experience. Also the AI and the hotlap challenges are tough! Loving it.

Put me into the camp of people having issues with the clutch though. Seemingly I don't have to press it when shifting down (for example in the BMW M1) which is strange.

Zeth

Put me into the camp of people having issues with the clutch though. Seemingly I don't have to press it when shifting down (for example in the BMW M1) which is strange.

I think it functions in disengaging, but the cars all kind of default to auto-clutch if that makes sense. I'd love for someone else to chime in on this. It's very odd, and certain cars have very specific clutch behaviors.

I wish I could use the clutch/shifter in the P4/5 which appears to work like that in reality, but only allows paddle shifting in game (stick shift animation).

edit: Just discovered liveries/skins too, downloaded a few dozen already. Had no idea there were already skins and mods out.

Jesus Christ the F40 is quite the treat. It feels perfect in the corners and the turbolag is amazing. Now if it only had brakes! :lol What is the consensus on this representation of the car? To me it feels quite right. Light, fast and shitty brakes.

I think it functions in disengaging, but the cars all kind of default to auto-clutch if that makes sense. I'd love for someone else to chime in on this. It's very odd, and certain cars have very specific clutch behaviors.

I wish I could use the clutch/shifter in the P4/5 which appears to work like that in reality, but only allows paddle shifting in game (stick shift animation).

edit: Just discovered liveries/skins too, downloaded a few dozen already. Had no idea there were already skins and mods out.

Yes, the clutch behavior is weird for now, I hope they'll address it in the future. It's already a lot of fun to use it anyway. But it's my first time using a clutch/stick shift in a racing game (despite being used to it as a driver) so it's an awesome experience for me. Almost makes me sad that pretty much all of the super cars have paddle shift.

The P4/5 has a sequential gearbox, so using the paddle shifters is a bit closer to reality than using a normal stick shift I would say.

Jesus Christ the F40 is quite the treat. It feels perfect in the corners and the turbolag is amazing. Now if it only had brakes! :lol What is the consensus on this representation of the car? To me it feels quite right. Light, fast and shitty brakes.
It's my favourite by far. Very rewarding when you get it right. It behaves exactly as I imagined, although I'm never quite prepared for that boost...

Morzak

I am finally back to AC with my wheel stand assembled. I also switched from my monitor to my new Bravia and this is just a delicious experience. Also the AI and the hotlap challenges are tough! Loving it.

Still having to get UPS to deliver it at a time/day I'm actually around..... I absolutely hate them always the same stupid issue and apparently now I can't even change the date online anymore......

Zeth

Which F40 do you guys use? Does the Step 3 version make it considerably more difficult to drive? Or easier? I'm trying to tame the thing - not sure which one to start with.

Yes, the clutch behavior is weird for now, I hope they'll address it in the future. It's already a lot of fun to use it anyway. But it's my first time using a clutch/stick shift in a racing game (despite being used to it as a driver) so it's an awesome experience for me. Almost makes me sad that pretty much all of the super cars have paddle shift.

The P4/5 has a sequential gearbox, so using the paddle shifters is a bit closer to reality than using a normal stick shift I would say.

Same here. I think the feel of it is great anyway, despite being unnecessary sometimes. Thanks for the tip about the P4/5 - that probably makes sense.

If anyone has some good skin/livery recommendations, please post them. It's tough to weed through the stuff out there. I've found many on NoGripRacing, not sure if there are other good sources. edit: looks like RD has them too.

Morzak

Which F40 do you guys use? Does the Step 3 version make it considerably more difficult to drive? Or easier? I'm trying to tame the thing - not sure which one to start with.

The Step 3 is just absolute madness, but since it runs on Slicks or semi slicks and has stronger brakes, I think it is actually not that hard to control and there is less turbo lag I feel so you don't have to be really on your game with controlling that.

Still having to get UPS to deliver it at a time/day I'm actually around..... I absolutely hate them always the same stupid issue and apparently now I can't even change the date online anymore......

Feeling for you, that sucks. Luckily a neighbor took it because I forgot to send it to work.

But I got a bit unlucky with my unit. Some plastic part got cracked and the frame is a bit crooked which resulted in the wheel not being leveled out properly. Took me some time to fix everything but it's close to perfect now. Oh, and the assembly instructions just suck!

The Step 3 is just absolute madness, but since it runs on Slicks or semi slicks and has stronger brakes, I think it is actually not that hard to control and there is less turbo lag I feel so you don't have to be really on your game with controlling that.

I will try that tonight, can't wait.

Man the F40 is just way to much for me to deal with. I much prefer the track/race cars in this game.

It is tough but so so rewarding. Also a nice driving school because you know that you will be able to handle any car afterwards.

Things that helped me:

- EARLY downshifts greatly help with breaking correctly into the corner
- Obviously avoid pushing the brakes too hard, it won't get you anywhere
- Once the car has the right speed it goes through corners very well, key to this car is really being able to slow it down enough

S3 version on Imola... Oh my, this game is really racing heaven for me. I have been spoiled for all other racers.

lem0n

I just wanted to share my settings and whatnot, so that maybe I can assist someone find a comfortable setting for their pad!

Dualshock 4

Steering Speed: 40
Gamma: 4
Filter: .85
Sensitivity: .2
Deadzone: .25

I found that it was a stable setup for the E30 DTM on Monza- I could do about a 2:15. I'm pretty slow on this game though so take that time with a giant mountain of salt. Try the settings out, if you like them let me know! I'd be happy to see someone else enjoying this game on a controller :D

Zeth

LOVE the DTM M3. I think I put up a top 15 time at Magione via RSR app.

Now that I'm getting a feel for some cars (and learning to drive) I've been messing with setups and I'm even more addicted this game. It's kind of incredible how much more enjoyment I've gotten out of AC compared to Gran Turismo considering the disparity in content.

Re: F40. I've heard you should drive it like a kart/open-wheeler, brake early and always in a straight line and don't touch the accelerator until your planted on exit. I've found that if I even give it a tiny bit of steady throttle exiting a corner, it still starts to add boost/rev. Car is a monster.

It's kind of incredible how much more enjoyment I've gotten out of AC compared to Gran Turismo considering the disparity in content.

When you think about it it's not surprising at all. What it comes down to in a simulation for me is the quality of the physics/driving model and a few select interesting cars. And AC delivers both in spades with more great content on the horizon. Just thinking about their laser scanned Nordschleife makes me drool...

I didn't even buy GT6 yet...

When you think about it it's not surprising at all. What it comes down to in a simulation for me is the quality of the physics/driving model and a few select interesting cars. And AC delivers both in spades with more great content on the horizon. Just thinking about their laser scanned Nordschleife makes me drool...

I didn't even buy GT6 yet...

I rather have 100 awesome cars than 1000 ones that are a mixed bag. If they open for community content, then AC could be brilliant.

Totally forgot about the DS4, will try that to use it with the wheel, no need to get up the chair to acess menus and stuff if the DS4 works fine.

dsk1210

I just wanted to share my settings and whatnot, so that maybe I can assist someone find a comfortable setting for their pad!

Dualshock 4

Steering Speed: 40
Gamma: 4
Filter: .85
Sensitivity: .2
Deadzone: .25

I found that it was a stable setup for the E30 DTM on Monza- I could do about a 2:15. I'm pretty slow on this game though so take that time with a giant mountain of salt. Try the settings out, if you like them let me know! I'd be happy to see someone else enjoying this game on a controller :D

Almost exactly like mines except the sensitivity, you will need to turn that down to .05 for turning at sharp corners, you will be finding that the steering wheel turns to slowly at the setting you have for hairpins.

Jon79

Neo Member
New content today right? Any hints on what we might be getting?

I'm praying that it's on-line features, hence why there are no pictures of cars to show off. Wishful thinking though as I have to keep reminding myself that it was early access and the on-line side of things might not appear for a few months at least. Shame, all that potential and no reason to load her up.

Zeth

Oh shit, I forgot today is an update day. Hope we get something cool. Game that just keeps giving.

edit: Seems to be some uncertainty about whether an update will happen today. No posts form Kunos about is so far I guess.

kudoboi

Update 0.6

- All cars AI enabled
- All tracks AI enabled
- Improvements on track AI lines
- UI quickraces enabled
- Added theme module management interface (see Options/General)
- Fixed position indicator changing in proximity to the finish line
- First lap time in races starts when the starting lights are off
- On screen time difference : (On/Off switch)
- mesh collider system and terrain collision boxes
- Reworked collision stiffness
- Penalty system On/Off switch
- Hide steer option
- Smoke rendering in mirrors improved (also On/Off switch)
- Look back buttons implemented
- fixed some gui issues in endrace mode
- Winning an achievement in special events unlocks the lower achievements
- Fixed ambience sound volume
- Improved positional audio for opponents when driving in cockpit or F1 cameras
- Fixed opponents overall engine volume
- Fixed distance scale volume for opponents engines and related extra sounds (skids, backfires etc...)
- Fixed backfires exterior volume
- Maximum exterior engine volume is 1.0 to prevent sample clipping and/or distorsion
- Lotus Evora GTE physics bug fixes and updates
- KTM X-Bow R aero modifications and setup fixes

Zeth

Update 0.6

- All cars AI enabled
- All tracks AI enabled
- Improvements on track AI lines
- UI quickraces enabled
- Added theme module management interface (see Options/General)
- Fixed position indicator changing in proximity to the finish line
- First lap time in races starts when the starting lights are off
- On screen time difference : (On/Off switch)
- mesh collider system and terrain collision boxes
- Reworked collision stiffness
- Penalty system On/Off switch
- Hide steer option
- Smoke rendering in mirrors improved (also On/Off switch)
- Look back buttons implemented
- fixed some gui issues in endrace mode
- Winning an achievement in special events unlocks the lower achievements
- Fixed ambience sound volume
- Improved positional audio for opponents when driving in cockpit or F1 cameras
- Fixed opponents overall engine volume
- Fixed distance scale volume for opponents engines and related extra sounds (skids, backfires etc...)
- Fixed backfires exterior volume
- Maximum exterior engine volume is 1.0 to prevent sample clipping and/or distorsion
- Lotus Evora GTE physics bug fixes and updates
- KTM X-Bow R aero modifications and setup fixes

Sounds great to me. Sad some people will whine about it. Looks like AI is implemented everywhere now.

If you do like it enough to get a wheel, grab a G27 off of Ebay. That is probably the best $ per fun you can get with a sim racing wheel.

you guys are quite convincing, told myself I wouldn't buy a wheel now I've got a Fanatec CSR on the way. Now to look for pedals...

Zeth

What is this supposed to do?

It hides the steering wheel/driver arms. Great if you have the right setup. My monitor is sitting behind my wheel clamped to my desk and it doesn't feel quite right. That or maybe I'm just accustomed to seeing the wheel/arms.

What is this supposed to do?
It removes the in-game steering wheel. Before this, you could only disable the hands, and lock the wheel to the centre. I always remove it in sims when I can - I find it extremely distracting.

[edit]beaten! I only have a single monitor too and a deliberately incorrect FOV, but I still prefer to run without. As soon as the wheel isn't on the screen, it feels like my real wheel is attached to the car.

Zeth

It removes the in-game steering wheel. Before this, you could only disable the hands, and lock the wheel to the centre. I always remove it in sims when I can - I find it extremely distracting.

[edit]beaten! I only have a single monitor too and a deliberately incorrect FOV, but I still prefer to run without. As soon as the wheel isn't on the screen, it feels like my real wheel is attached to the car.

I just gave the Formula a run with the wheel hidden and I actually liked it. I think I use an almost realistic FoV, but you're right about it feeling connected. If I just removed the stand on my monitor it might almost match up to my visual FoV.

TJP

Sounds great to me. Sad some people will whine about it. Looks like AI is implemented everywhere now.
Indeed it is sad that some will feel the need to complain; Kunos have issued the following statement:

So, it's that day of the month again and a new update is ready.

Let's have a look at todays "particular" update.

As you might have guessed, we won't release any new cars or tracks today. We understand that this might be a bit of a let down for some of you, but then again we have already released 35 cars and their upgrades and 12 tracks... considering AC's physics engine depth, I'm sure there's more to explore than simply jumping from one car to the other.

So what's in this new update? Lot's of core work to make AC better, some of it very evident, some of it under the surface but very important.

First of all we are enabling AI Quick Races for all cars, all tracks. You can select whatever car you like, whatever track you like and whatever number of opponents (up to the track limits). Most importantly you can select different opponents to race against. Multi-class, multi-era, multi-performances, multi-whatever.. err...no scratch that, multiplayer is not ready yet (we're working on it, you know we do!).

So this is very important, we worked very hard to enable all cars and all tracks to enable the AI. Tons of data to process, but we didn't just stopped there. We have laid out the ground to build a better AI that understands better the intentions of the player. On some cars you might see a better behaviour, on some others more or less the same, but the work is there and slowly we will update all of them. Your feedback is valuable and that's what early access is all about, so thank you in advance!

What's next? Collisions. You can lean on your opponents now, bump door against door, push and get pushed and the experience should be far better. Most importantly no more landmines and you can go over high kerbs with far more realistic behaviour. That also permits us to make the terrain collisions more accurate and this means more setup work for you, as you might need to make the setup stiffer, user bumpstops, or raise the car height to make sure the car is not bottoming out. If you hear strange scraping noises and experience unexpected spins on fast turns, it might mean that your old setup was way too low... AC is getting more mature and this means that it requests from you the drivers, more skills and more setup work. We are sure you're going to have fun limiting bottoming, without affecting car balance

Sound engine. We have worked on the sound engine to improve the sound of the opponents cars in AI races as well as taking advantage of 5.1 systems. It's been quite an extensive work, way too long to describe, but let us know what you think and if you find any bugs.

As usual lot's of little fixes, bug hunting and optimisations as usual, but also new much requested features like steering wheel hiding, look behind, smoke rendering on mirrors with on/off option, penalties system selectable from UI and more. We are listening the community and working out all the small little details, one by one.

Last but not least, a very important and very complicated theme module management for the UI. What does that means? Modders can now write their plugins and connect them inside the User Interface (like the amazing "Rivali" suite). Theme modules are then saved inside the username/documents/assetto corsa folder. This is very important, as we can update the user interface everytime we think necessary and users will not lose their installed mods and UI modifications (if made following our guidelines). Also, users can now select which UI mods can enable from Options/General menu. There is also an example with documentation for modders. This is far more important than it might seem, and opens the door to modders to create amazing applications that work seamlessly inside Assetto Corsa User Interface.

Hope you have fun with this new update, looking forward to hear your feedback.

The Assetto Corsa development team

friday

Got my new non-rolling chair feet today, 100% improvement. Now that my chair is not rolling backwards difficult breaking zones are much easier to handle. Played around with the AI today and had a lot of fun. This update is very "under the hood" kinda stuff but I like what has changed. As always, this game keeps getting better and better.

microtubule

Latest patch seems really good. I like the sound improvements and graphic performance is still very good for me. I did a few laps on Mugello and Imola against the AI and had a ton of fun.

It hides the steering wheel/driver arms. Great if you have the right setup. My monitor is sitting behind my wheel clamped to my desk and it doesn't feel quite right. That or maybe I'm just accustomed to seeing the wheel/arms.

Thanks guys! I like seeing the wheel though.

Zeth

Anyone just get a small update? I don't see any info posted.

edit: via RD
srungJD.jpg

vanty

Was getting some tearing when playing a moment ago, first time, maybe something 0.6.1 did?

I've only had the game for a week or so and it keeps getting better. Mugello on Forza 4 was never that fun for me, but in AC it's amazing. Vallelunga is maybe even better as long as your car can go flat through the early section. Formula Abarth is great though I hope there's something faster coming in the future like a Formula Renault 3.5 or similar performance level.

The 458 really isn't doing it for me at all though.

Top Bottom