• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa: Early Access |OT|

microtubule

Was getting some tearing when playing a moment ago, first time, maybe something 0.6.1 did?

I've only had the game for a week or so and it keeps getting better. Mugello on Forza 4 was never that fun for me, but in AC it's amazing. Vallelunga is maybe even better as long as your car can go flat through the early section. Formula Abarth is great though I hope there's something faster coming in the future like a Formula Renault 3.5 or similar performance level.

The 458 really isn't doing it for me at all though.

No tearing here..... yet. I just did a couple of matches on Silverstone against 3 AI cars.

I agree about Mugello in FM4 but I actually liked the F40 on it in FM4.

In re: 458. I guess you either like it or you don't. I was just running some laps on it tonight and haven't used it since a couple of patches ago. I kept thinking to myself this seems like the best 458 driving model out of any game I've played it in so far.

I still wish Kunos would put the 430 in the game though.

Zeth

I love the 458. Don't forget you have the "manettino" TC settings simulated as well, press ctrl+t in game. The Step 3 is quite impressive too. Drops 400+ kg and sits lower - starts to feel extremely precise and direct.

I'm still trying to wrangle the F40. I might need to do some fine tuning to my pedals.

0.6.2 released
- Improved collisions detection & AI response
- Cpu warning is the same for all the languages
- Fixed somke on replay exit
- Drift mode :: minimum bonus seconds
- Difference displayer now display the difference on total time
- some gui fix
http://www.assettocorsa-forum.com/a...e-notes/860-assetto-corsa-update-0-6-2-a.html

Morzak

Ahh... when they allowed custom AI that was the first thing I tried as I'm always in the F40... I set 18 F40s at Magione for laugh and my PC nearly imploded. Much better now.

Will have to try again then tried to set up a 24 grid race at mugello with the F40 and I got around 20 FPS.

vanty

The 458 just feels like no other car I've used for more than just a quick test in the game. That includes the Zonda R, both E30 M3s, 599XX, Formula Abarth, the GT3 and GT2 BMWs, the old Lotus F1 car and the 2-Eleven.

Braking distances seem oddly long compared to all of them, the turn in is much worse and/or it understeers quite a bit and the whole experience is nowhere near as immersive as anything else.

Not sure what is going on, but I'm having a great time with every other car so no big deal. Maybe since the only other normal road car I've driven is the E30 M3 which obviously has nowhere near the performance of the 458 while everything else is a hardcore track car or race car it warps my perceptions of how the car should feel.

The 458 just feels like no other car I've used for more than just a quick test in the game. That includes the Zonda R, both E30 M3s, 599XX, Formula Abarth, the GT3 and GT2 BMWs, the old Lotus F1 car and the 2-Eleven.

Braking distances seem oddly long compared to all of them, the turn in is much worse and/or it understeers quite a bit and the whole experience is nowhere near as immersive as anything else.

Not sure what is going on, but I'm having a great time with every other car so no big deal. Maybe since the only other normal road car I've driven is the E30 M3 which obviously has nowhere near the performance of the 458 while everything else is a hardcore track car or race car it warps my perceptions of how the car should feel.
I think you've reached the right conclusion - your perspective is being skewed. The 458 (stock) has vastly better braking performance than the E30 (stock). Here's a quick test - max braking from 70mph in both cars over the finish line at Magione:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sJsY04nHm8

Note that the Ferrari is almost 200kg heavier than the M3... yet it still does it in almost half the distance.

As for the understeer you're probably turning in at too high a speed - it's difficult to gauge speed in a sim, which is why it can feel like the E30 brakes better - it's just really slow. :) The 458 is a fairly neutral car if you slow it down enough.

What are your car setup with the lotus 49 at Joux Plane? (if you don't mind).

I did not try with the lotus 49 but with some other car (like the 458) i have a hard time fighting with the little bump on the road.
I didn't touch the 49's setup. It's actually quite drivable as is, so long as you keep it mostly on the road! Must be surgical with the throttle. It's lovely.

I have not tried the 458 there, but the DTM E30 took some work to get it drivable. I raised the car to its maximum ride height, softened the spring rates all the way, stiffened the ARBs 1 step each, reduced rebound damping a little... it helped. The same general treatment may help the 458 with the bumps. I'll try soon.

Edit: The standard 458 feels fine at JP, but after looking over the tuning options with the Stage 3 upgrade, I don't think anything can be done to help that setup over the bumps. Stock 458 is amazing, though. I should've tried it sooner!

Due to the dated geometry of the track, Joux Plane in Assetto Corsa is practically my new favorite roguelike. One mistake in a section with no run-off and that's it, must restart. :)

Three60

Marco Massarutto on fb said:
"Back to work"

XT9SaDw.jpg

Ruf CTR1 yellowbird ;)

paskowitz

XT9SaDw.jpg

Ruf CTR1 yellowbird ;)

Konus asked what cars people want in the game. They didn't just want cars people wanted because of their prestige or allure, they wanted cars people are going to drive. This is a car that people don't just want, this is a car they want to drive.

Shaneus

Konus asked what cars people want in the game. They didn't just want cars people wanted because of their prestige or allure, they wanted cars people are going to drive. This is a car that people don't just want, this is a car they want to drive.
Preeeeetty much. Was this one of the poll winners?

Hi guys, sorry to crash into your thread with some dumb questions, but I'm building a PC today and looking at some racing games and think Corsa looks good!

Do you recommend it for a slightly more casual racing fan? I love Gran Turismo and Forza but don't play the really hardcore stuff...

How is it with a controller? I don't have a wheel!

Is there enough content to satisfy me right now in early access?

Hi guys, sorry to crash into your thread with some dumb questions, but I'm building a PC today and looking at some racing games and think Corsa looks good!

Do you recommend it for a slightly more casual racing fan? I love Gran Turismo and Forza but don't play the really hardcore stuff...

How is it with a controller? I don't have a wheel!

Is there enough content to satisfy me right now in early access?
I think that depends on what you enjoy about GT and Forza. If you like it primarily for the realism of the handling, then you will get a lot out of AC just from the knowledge that each car's characteristics have been painstakingly reproduced, driving each car in isolation. But if you like GT and Forza for the huge amount of content, game modes, community features, career progression, building a car 'collection', tuning, etc... then AC in its current state really can't be compared, and will never have some of GT/Forza's features. The amount of cars and tracks is extremely small compared to those games, and the modes/features are very much a work in progress. The value lies elsewhere, and it really is all about the driving.

The controller works fine, the default settings are bit crap but people have posted better settings in this thread. I'd say you need to be extra passionate/observant about the handling to get the value from it without a wheel. Gamepad input makes it harder to feel directly connected to the cars - the behaviour is all still there, but the gamepad is one step further removed from the driving experience compared to a good wheel. This means you need to be extremely sensitive to/disciplined with translating your inputs to what they'd really be in the car and understanding their effects, particularly with all the aids off. It's full of options though, so you can tune the assistance to whatever you're comfortable with - you can practically have the car drive itself if you're just looking to enjoy the sights and sounds.

If you're building a PC today, then this is the perfect excuse to start getting involved in these more serious sims! AC is probably the most approachable, compared to iRacing, rFactor, RRE, etc.

I was trying to use the DS4 last night and i couldn´t configure shit. It´s not all the time that i can use the wheel, so... what am i doing wrong? There´s an x360 pad preset, but i can´t change anything. I know the game recognizes the DS4 because it shows up when i´m pressing the buttons, but can´t customize anything.

Help!

vanty

Has anyone ever had force feedback (I'm assuming that's what it is, new to wheels) suddenly stop working? Happened to me a second time a little earlier, just started a hotlap session on Mugello and as I'm just about to start to straighten out for the main straght I change to 4th or 5th and suddenly the steering goes light so the force I was applying to turn is now for too much and the car veers sharply left. Vibration still works, I turn the wheel off and on with no change, only when I quit the session and start again is it working again.

When it first happened I thought it was my wheel having a problem, that's why this time I turned it off and on but when that didn't fix it just quitting to menu and then loading the track again made things go back to normal.

Oh and the 458 is feeling better for me after giving it some more time after having not touched the game for a few days to clear out my "everything should feel like a race car" expectations ahah.

I think that depends on what you enjoy about GT and Forza. If you like it primarily for the realism of the handling, then you will get a lot out of AC just from the knowledge that each car's characteristics have been painstakingly reproduced, driving each car in isolation. But if you like GT and Forza for the huge amount of content, game modes, community features, career progression, building a car 'collection', tuning, etc... then AC in its current state really can't be compared, and will never have some of GT/Forza's features. The amount of cars and tracks is extremely small compared to those games, and the modes/features are very much a work in progress. The value lies elsewhere, and it really is all about the driving.

The controller works fine, the default settings are bit crap but people have posted better settings in this thread. I'd say you need to be extra passionate/observant about the handling to get the value from it without a wheel. Gamepad input makes it harder to feel directly connected to the cars - the behaviour is all still there, but the gamepad is one step further removed from the driving experience compared to a good wheel. This means you need to be extremely sensitive to/disciplined with translating your inputs to what they'd really be in the car and understanding their effects, particularly with all the aids off. It's full of options though, so you can tune the assistance to whatever you're comfortable with - you can practically have the car drive itself if you're just looking to enjoy the sights and sounds.

If you're building a PC today, then this is the perfect excuse to start getting involved in these more serious sims! AC is probably the most approachable, compared to iRacing, rFactor, RRE, etc.

Thanks for the info. To be honest, it's a bit of both with those days - I love the handling and "feel" of the cars, and I think that's hugely important, but of course it's the content that keeps me coming back. I know AC will have a career mode but it might be a bit lacking in overall content right now (and I understand it'll probably never approach Forza/GT levels).

I think I might buy it - it looks like it'll be a good showcase of my PC's power too and it's something new to try.

TJP

An italian video was put on youtube pl of days ago this is some of the translation just gives a bit more info about coming builds of AC

Thanks for the video!

E vai Marco! Sei un mito!

I think I could provide a translation, but it's more than 20 min, so nope...Just a quick recap of the interview!

Note: my recap is totally unofficial!

Damages? Yep! Visual and mechanical. Cars won't be totally destructible. Bust that mith, licensing has nothing to do with limited or no damages, it's a developer choice. Priority for the AC development team is the simulation of driving experience from the driver's perspective, thus specifically what means to drive a dameged car. But modelling a fully destructible car would use too much time/resources, without adding to the driving experience.

Kunos on consoles? Is being evaluated if AC is going to be ported, considering that XBoxOne and PS4 have an architecture closer to PC than previous generation (esp. PS3). Thus porting should be feasible by the team. But it is unlikely that this could be done while Kunos remains independent. So the question is both technical and commercial, the technical part is being explored, the other...

Multiplayer? Working on internal tests already. To iRacing lovers, AC will not be iR. iR is based on online racing from the outset and is supported by an excellent and costly platform. The aim of the team is to release stable, as much as possible, versions even for early access, including for MP, avoiding buggy releases. That is beacuse the aim/meaning of early access is having a valuable feed back, not complains for already-known bugs (it does not please the players and does not help the developer). Skins for communities, also via Steam Workshop, which capacity is being explored (e.g. it is asked by the interviewer if skins will be automatically downloaded across MP partecipants).
Pit lane, box, etc. is also part of the race week-end branch. Large amount of parameters available for the server manager (penalties, helps, views, etc.). Lobbies, list with available rooms (races), that could be booked. E.g. a race starting in X min, book Your place, then, while waiting, drive another session. This is helpful to mitigate the join-lag for the server (and of course for the players). Also, avoids the pressure to enter the first available slot.

When the MP release? The idea is to have MP released before the end of march, if there's no unforeseen issue. Damages could be released together with MP, yet damages are developed by a different part of the team than MP so they could as well be released earlier in a "light" release.

Damages and MP are not in the next release.
The next update (they mentioned the 0.6 as released, thus the next appears to be 0.7) will be about bug fixing and general optimization and new content. It will include McLaren GT3.

Will there be an official (by Kunos) F1 from 2014? It is not planned, or looked into, at the moment. There are limitations from licensing.

By the way the shout in the background is Stefano working on the AI!

Taken from here: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=15888219&postcount=418

Ahhh the GT3! I've been looking forward to comparing it directly to the iRacing version - I think it'll be a more interesting comparison than the Lotus 49, being a much more precise car.

Seanspeed

Banned
I don't see this ever coming to consoles. Not enough content out-of-the-box and no ability to have mods to rectify that. And its just not the right market anyways, unfortunately.

Looking forward to giving multiplayer a go. Not gonna expect too much at first, but while they say they're not iRacing, I'm sure they realize the importance of online competition, so I do expect a decent experience eventually. Its long-term viability depends a lot on it.

It's too bad that even with self publishing, inexpensive dev kits, and a game that's 90% done it's still not finically viable to do a console port. Hey, I understand. I mean they've got a lot of work left to be done on this PC one, and I'm sure it's keeping them very busy. It certainly costs money too. There's no doubt about that. The online server costs alone for a console port could get frightening pretty quickly.

If it were that easy, everyone would be doing it. Maybe eight months ago I had hope that everyone would be doing it, but it's getting clearer there's still a lot of transition left to do before these consoles are truly indie friendly.

Seanspeed

Banned
I think its less of an issue of it just being 'oh so expensive' to port and more of an issue of it just not being worth it period. It wouldn't sell. Its a $40 game, not your standard $15-20 indie. That alone makes it a hard sell as its this awkward middle ground between indie pricing and full game pricing. And then on top of that, its a hardcore racing sim that doesn't have much content and has no ability to have mods.

It would bomb.

It can´t have mods?

I´ve always thought AC would be great once the modders could supply us with all the cars we wanted... if you mean, can´t have mods on consoles, i don´t think there´s any restrictions this time... or maybe i´m just out of the loop.

I thought modding would never be a problem.

I´m still trying to configure the DS4 for some quick mindless fun and i got nowhere.

Shame my stupid PC can only run 8 cars at once. Ouch. Handling on this game is almost perfect, they just need to correct some imput delay that seems to be in place when you compare to a game like GT6.

I´m not talking about realism, just the pure joy of driving. AC is almost there, but they need to keep working on it.

I think its less of an issue of it just being 'oh so expensive' to port and more of an issue of it just not being worth it period. It wouldn't sell. Its a $40 game, not your standard $15-20 indie. That alone makes it a hard sell as its this awkward middle ground between indie pricing and full game pricing. And then on top of that, its a hardcore racing sim that doesn't have much content and has no ability to have mods.

It would bomb.

Well, for certain I wouldn't be selling it for $40. The rest of it I have to disagree with. I think there's plenty of market to make it worth their while. $25, 30 cars, 10 tracks, a little career, multiplayer. You're telling me the percentage of interested GT/Forza players would be too small to justify a port? Yeah, I've got to disagree. Those franchises are flatlined at the moment too. That space is ripe for offering something different, even if it's scaled way, way down. See the popularity of AC now on PC with so many controller users. I think that's great.

Shame my stupid PC can only run 8 cars at once. Ouch. Handling on this game is almost perfect, they just need to correct some imput delay that seems to be in place when you compare to a game like GT6.

I´m not talking about realism, just the pure joy of driving. AC is almost there, but they need to keep working on it.
I'm not getting any input delay, so it could be your machine. Try dialing back some graphics options?

paskowitz

I do not know if AC is the most realistic sim, but I think it is fair to say it is the most fun.

If AC were to release on console it would have to be when the install bases are larger and at least 9 months clear of any GT, Forza, or NFS game (and especially pCARS). That is a tough window to fit in.

I do not know if AC is the most realistic sim, but I think it is fair to say it is the most fun.

If AC were to release on console it would have to be when the install bases are larger and at least 9 months clear of any GT, Forza, or NFS game (and especially pCARS). That is a tough window to fit in.

Yeah, I think the biggest issue is the window for greatest opportunity closes a little bit everyday. AC on the PS4 8, 12, 18 months from now isn't going to have nearly the same impact. More install base would be great, but it really runs the risk of having it's niche being filled. I really would have like to seen KUNOS commit to it six or eight month ago. pCARS however seems perfectly placed to grab itself some attention.

Man this game....
The more i play the better it gets.

Currently i'm focusing on the 458 S3 and man i love the feeling with this one.
Every day i need my AC Fix !

Zeth

Man this game....
The more i play the better it gets.

Currently i'm focusing on the 458 S3 and man i love the feeling with this one.
Every day i need my AC Fix !

Couldn't agree more. I keep coming back every day. Now that I figured out how to submit "Pro" RSR laps I find myself jumping around to different combos trying to improve my times. I should be sticking to one at a time though if I really want to achieve some optimal laps.

I got the skin/setup manager app and now I have a new addiction in constantly checking for new liveries and setups.

Top Bottom