• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa: Early Access |OT|

yes, I have tryed different settings, but the turning still feel so stiff and difficult no matter what. I cant even swing precise cornering even if when Im driving vere very slowly.
What do you mean by 'stiff'? If anything, those settings are too sensitive, the steering is very responsive - I can't turn my wheel as fast as this.

Ally1987

What do you mean by 'stiff'? If anything, those settings are too sensitive, the steering is very responsive - I can't turn my wheel as fast as this.

It wont let me turn as much as I pull the analogstick to the left or right, it just turns very slowly and not that all responsive (dont know how describe it)

I just tried out with keyboard again, and its so much better. great turning and responsive.

Are you guys keeping the same wheel settings for racing and drifting? My csr wheel feels pretty good for racing but I'm absolutely horrible at drifting, maybe I need to retune it for each one

Also what are you guys using for a handbrake?

It wont let me turn as much as I pull the analogstick to the left or right, it just turns very slowly and not that all responsive (dont know how describe it)

I just tried out with keyboard again, and its so much better. great turning and responsive.
If the wheel is turning 'very slowly' then either you haven't applied the settings I posted, or something is broken.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hi guys, can ask you regulars if there's any word out of when AC will be out of early access?
How much does it resembles a full game now? I know there's enough meat already for it to be worth it with Time Attack mode/hotlap, I guess what I'm asking is if they've added full multiplayer racing (and how) or even a campaign for sp.

Seanspeed

Banned

Turn the Speed Sensitivity to 0.05. Seriously, its important.

Are you guys keeping the same wheel settings for racing and drifting? My csr wheel feels pretty good for racing but I'm absolutely horrible at drifting, maybe I need to retune it for each one

Also what are you guys using for a handbrake?
I'm using the same settings. I've never used the handbrake...

Hi guys, can ask you regulars if there's any word out of when AC will be out of early access?
How much does it resembles a full game now? I know there's enough meat already for it to be worth it with Time Attack mode/hotlap, I guess what I'm asking is if they've added full multiplayer racing (and how) or even a campaign for sp.
Kunos have a 'when it's done' philosophy, so it could be a long time. There were plans for it to be released in 2012 and 2013, so even if there is a new estimate, it's meaningless. And since the Early Access programme has been such a success, no doubt their priorities will have changed in terms of the projected timeline. The way I see it, the game is already 'out', with regular updates continuing indefinitely. Much like the unfinished rFactor 2, which is no longer a 'beta'. And iRacing, which will never be finished.

No multiplayer yet, but I'd expect it to be available in a basic form soon. SP Campaign is probably one of the last things to do. They're adding more 'Special Events' with each update as the AI gets sorted out. I imagine the SP mode would use these events in a more structured manner.

It's never going to be easy to control a PC driving sim with analog sticks and triggers because the driving model is designed for inputs from a wheel and pedals--for the best sense of control, you really need a greater range of motion for your inputs than a handheld controller can viably offer. As a concession, try turning on some of the driving assists until you can control wheelspin and oversteer and the like with millimeter-length finger movements. Play with the steering speed and sensitivity settings a bit more if your cornering feels imprecise.

I wonder how difficult this is in terms of development. For example, how does a game like Gran Turismo approach it? GT is known for fairly good controller and wheel support. Do they perfect the game for the controller first and then adapt to the wheel? You can't really have two different driving models, it must work for both inputs.

Developing for PC must be great in this regard. The game can be developed for steering wheels first and foremost and the controller can be treated as an afterthought. Unfortunately it limits the audience, but boy does it pay off for the realism.

That said, I had a lot of fun with AC when I was just using an Xbox controller. But once you used a proper wheel there is no going back.

amar212

For example, how does a game like Gran Turismo approach it? GT is known for fairly good controller and wheel support. Do they perfect the game for the controller first and then adapt to the wheel? You can't really have two different driving models, it must work for both inputs.

Since GT3 the GT model is built from wheel>to controller.

Seanspeed

Banned
Speaking of, I think I'm done with this game until I can figure out how to get a wheel setup here, which I'm not sure is possible(or rather, practical).

I'm really fucking sick and tired of not being able to drive like I want to. I can do moderately decent times if I'm careful, but whenever I want to try and push, I'm 100% unable to. I simply don't have the fine control I need to keep the steering angles and smoothness I need to take corners fast or come away from slow corners as fast as I know I can or settle the car for a fast change of direction or anything else where proper precise inputs are necessary. Its bothering the shit out of me lately and I don't particularly enjoy having to tiptoe around 24/7 when playing this. I'm not as competitive as I should be and against human competition, with pressure and everything, I don't feel confident I'm gonna be able to have the consistency and aggressiveness I need to do as well as I'm used to.

So yea, controller support is passable in this if you just like to drive, but if you're a racer, its not good enough. Not nearly good enough.

As far as GT goes, its controller support isn't that great. Forza does it much better by basically not having a 1:1 steering relationship and having a sort of very intuitive smoothing of your inputs. Some people call it an 'aid', and you could argue it is, but the truth is that you need some sort of mechanism to alleviate the disadvantages of the tiny range of movement of analog sticks in the context of driving a high-performance vehicle at its limits on a race track. And it works so very well that I don't necessarily feel like its doing any work for me and just allows me to drive like I want to. I know that my inputs wouldn't result in the same happy intuitiveness if the steering was perfect 1:1, but it feels good enough that you look past that and just appreciate that the devs obviously know what's up and are trying to make it as pleasant as possible.

GT has acceptable(but not great) controller support while AC doesn't because GT isn't anywhere near as involving and realistic as AC is. Cars are forgiving and have a fair amount of grip and generally don't need as perfect a technique as you do in a sim like this. That's the main difference between the two. Its not that GT is doing anything particularly special. Its just not a very hardcore sim and is worlds apart from AC when it comes to the handling model.

disap.ed

Speaking of, I think I'm done with this game until I can figure out how to get a wheel setup here, which I'm not sure is possible(or rather, practical).

I'm really fucking sick and tired of not being able to drive like I want to. I can do moderately decent times if I'm careful, but whenever I want to try and push, I'm 100% unable to. I simply don't have the fine control I need to keep the steering angles and smoothness I need to take corners fast or come away from slow corners as fast as I know I can or settle the car for a fast change of direction or anything else where proper precise inputs are necessary. Its bothering the shit out of me lately and I don't particularly enjoy having to tiptoe around 24/7 when playing this. I'm not as competitive as I should be and against human competition, with pressure and everything, I don't feel confident I'm gonna be able to have the consistency and aggressiveness I need to do as well as I'm used to.

So yea, controller support is passable in this if you just like to drive, but if you're a racer, its not good enough. Not nearly good enough.

This is true for pCARS as well so I don't know if it is really a AC specific and not just a general limitation of gamepads for sims. And yes, it sucks badly, especially because they are so strict regarding off-track driving (Ben Collins is constantly complaining about this too on the WMD forum). It is very frustrating indeed, especially on longer tracks. This is why my motivation is also fading quickly to do time trials.

Business

I haven't tried AC with a controller myself and I'm sure you are right there's room for improvement in controller support. Having said that I don't think it's reasonable to expect to be competitive with the fastest wheel users while using a controller.

Seanspeed

Banned
I haven't tried AC with a controller myself and I'm sure you are right there's room for improvement in controller support. Having said that I don't think it's reasonable to expect to be competitive with the fastest wheel users while using a controller.
I don't need to be up there with the fastest people. That's never going to happen. You don't need to be one of the fastest people on earth to be a competitive racer. There's people in this thread who I've raced with who know me, know that I'm typically a pretty competitive guy.

My problem is that I cant drive like I feel like I should be able to. Like I need to. For example, my frustration was coming from driving the McLaren GT3 car. Now, the car is fine. It handles great and has a lot of grip. It feels great to drive, in fact. But my problem is that it inspires confidence and when I try and drive the car to its limits, the analog sticks of the controller are just not enough to provide the precise inputs I need to keep the car stable when pushing to those limits. Its a problem I have with all cars, but its especially frustrating when I know DAMN WELL that I can take a corner like I want to, but don't have the fine motor ability to keep the stick just as I need it through the cornering phases. Most cars I'm only driving at 9/10th's at best and with the McLaren, it feels like I can drive it harder, and I could, but the controller stops me from being able to. Its frustrating and I found myself spinning out quite a lot despite it actually being quite nice to drive.

Business

I don't need to be up there with the fastest people. That's never going to happen. You don't need to be one of the fastest people on earth to be a competitive racer. There's people in this thread who I've raced with who know me, know that I'm typically a pretty competitive guy.

My problem is that I cant drive like I feel like I should be able to. Like I need to. For example, my frustration was coming from driving the McLaren GT3 car. Now, the car is fine. It handles great and has a lot of grip. It feels great to drive, in fact. But my problem is that it inspires confidence and when I try and drive the car to its limits, the analog sticks of the controller are just not enough to provide the precise inputs I need to keep the car stable when pushing to those limits. Its a problem I have with all cars, but its especially frustrating when I know DAMN WELL that I can take a corner like I want to, but don't have the fine motor ability to keep the stick just as I need it through the cornering phases. Most cars I'm only driving at 9/10th's at best and with the McLaren, it feels like I can drive it harder, and I could, but the controller stops me from being able to. Its frustrating and I found myself spinning out quite a lot despite it actually being quite nice to drive.

Well if you are competitive or not it depends with whom you want to compete :) but no I didn't necessarily mean the quickest guys 'on earth', I mean quick guys using a wheel, not a handful of aliens but say the top 25%. My point is you are trying to control a car with an input that is just not natural, so it's only normal you'll struggle when pushing it to the limit even if they make the best controller support ever. With the perfect wheel support and the perfect controller support, using a controller you should always be less comfortable and slower than yourself using a wheel.

microtubule

Kunos updated their Facebook page with an "An anticipation of things to come"

Link to video here

and another post with this shot:

1617237_827841197242200_621374019_o.jpg

Zeth

Oh god, please give us Nurb GP this week! That would be amazing - don't they usually post shots of things coming in the next update?

What's the deal with that Lotus, it's a consumer car of some sort?

Seanspeed

Banned
Well if you are competitive or not it depends with whom you want to compete :) but no I didn't necessarily mean the quickest guys 'on earth', I mean quick guys using a wheel, not a handful of aliens but say the top 25%. My point is you are trying to control a car with an input that is just not natural, so it's only normal you'll struggle when pushing it to the limit even if they make the best controller support ever. With the perfect wheel support and the perfect controller support, using a controller you should always be less comfortable and slower than yourself using a wheel.
Well I'm comfortably in the top 1% in Forza using a controller. I don't expect that in a hardcore sim like this, but I'd like to at least feel comfortable driving the cars. That's my main thing. If I'm comfortable, I can push. But I'm not, so I'm essentially driving extra cautious which is fine if you're just driving for fun, but not when racing or doing competitive time trials. Even if I'm not in the top 10% or something, I can at least feel like I'm getting what I can out of a car.

Its hard to explain I guess.

Anyways, I really like the Nurburgring GP track. I know its hardly a regular favourite of anybody's but I think its got some great sections and is technical and satisfying to get right. The game certainly needs more full-length tracks.

@Zeth - That Lotus is basically a customer F1-like car, yes. Something that is affordable(relatively, of course) and easy to maintain while having F1-like performance capability(not quite, but still probably impressive enough).

microtubule

Oh god, please give us Nurb GP this week! That would be amazing - don't they usually post shots of things coming in the next update?

What's the deal with that Lotus, it's a consumer car of some sort?

Looking forward to Nurb GP but hope Trento Bondone is next up. The Lotus looks like it will be a ton of fun as well!

Lotus only made 25 of them and apparently they sold them pretty quick. I'm glad I didn't buy one because if Clarkson had problems getting in it........

Check out the videos at the bottom of this page.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Well I'm comfortably in the top 1% in Forza using a controller. I don't expect that in a hardcore sim like this, but I'd like to at least feel comfortable driving the cars. That's my main thing. If I'm comfortable, I can push. But I'm not, so I'm essentially driving extra cautious which is fine if you're just driving for fun, but not when racing or doing competitive time trials. Even if I'm not in the top 10% or something, I can at least feel like I'm getting what I can out of a car.

Anyways, I really like the Nurburgring GP track. I know its hardly a regular favourite of anybody's but I think its got some great sections and is technical and satisfying to get right. The game certainly needs more full-length tracks.

@Zeth - That Lotus is basically a customer F1-like car, yes. Something that is affordable(relatively, of course) and easy to maintain while having F1-like performance capability(not quite, but still probably impressive enough).

You're explaining it fine, but you're asking too much.

There's a reason why you're able to compete at Forza (Which let's face it, isn't anywhere near a sim compared to this) and not with Assetto, and that's because Forza hand holds.

There is simply no way that you can get the level of control needed with a controller in Assetto without the game doing some form of help to negate the lack of any sort of tactile control you have using one.

Using a steering wheel is a must for this game because of the feel you get through a decent FFB system. Heck I use a DFGT and I know if I upgraded I would do better because of how much detail the systems already have.

Simply put? You want to push? Get a wheel, it's that simple. This game is not going to pander to controller users I'm afraid.

Edit: Anyway, the game is slowly getting to a point where I'm going to dedicate severe time to it. I ordered early but didn't want to play too much yet and burn myself out.

Seanspeed

Banned
You're explaining it fine, but you're asking too much.

There's a reason why you're able to compete at Forza (Which let's face it, isn't anywhere near a sim compared to this) and not with Assetto, and that's because Forza hand holds.

There is simply no way that you can get the level of control needed with a controller in Assetto without the game doing some form of help to negate the lack of any sort of tactile control you have using one.

Using a steering wheel is a must for this game because of the feel you get through a decent FFB system. Heck I use a DFGT and I know if I upgraded I would do better because of how much detail the systems already have.

Simply put? You want to push? Get a wheel, it's that simple. This game is not going to pander to controller users I'm afraid.

Edit: Anyway, the game is slowly getting to a point where I'm going to dedicate severe time to it. I ordered early but didn't want to play too much yet and burn myself out.
Except this isn't the first sim I've played with a controller.

Try it man. I don't expect anything like Forza(pretty sure I made that clear in my post), but the controller support here isn't great at all.

Business

No, your explanation is fine and what you mention of needing to be comfortable to push is very true. The thing is, one may understand what is required to be quick, but to execute it on a gamepad on a 'hardcore' sim I just don't think it's possible for this very reason, you won't feel comfortable with those controls.

I'm not saying it's flat out impossible to control because at the end of the day you do have the analog input for pedals and steering wheel, but your index finger is not your leg and your thumb is not your arms. I very much doubt you can have the level of finesse on your thumb that would be equivalent to turning the wheel say 10º this way or that way at any given time, not to mention the lack of force feedbak, that you should have to susbstitute by an insane amount of intuition. If you can pull it off hats off to you, but then it's either you have developed some kind of superhuman skill with your fingers or I'd worry about how good the simulation is.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Except this isn't the first sim I've played with a controller.

Try it man. I don't expect anything like Forza(pretty sure I made that clear in my post), but the controller support here isn't great at all.
Honest question, which one(s)?

Haven't tried the latest build with my 360 pad, but see little need to. Will do so out of curiosity next time I play however.

LilJoka

I thought AC was quite decent with the pad, its more difficult to control the steering due to sensitivity and lack of aids, but I used to play F1 mods on rFactor with a 360 pad with 0 aids, and the analogue stick would give me full lock at high speeds, I just got good at controlling the steering with small precise movements. its possible, just takes practise, but of course isnt ideal at all and doesnt give fine control like a wheel for more complex situations.

I thought out of all PC sims, AC gives the most similar pad feel to Forza. This is because it is quite good at preventing you from applying maximum lock, it feels like its just over the maximum steering angle needed for the speed you're turning, which means a bit of practice can make you decently competitive.

I still have no idea if i should usa 900 degrees of rotation, 540 or some other number... for some reason 540 made me more confortable than 900, because 900 seems overly sensitive and it should be the other way around...

What setup are you guys using, specially on racing cars? And what´s the best to achive 1:1 motion with the in game wheel and my wheel?

paskowitz

I still have no idea if i should usa 900 degrees of rotation, 540 or some other number... for some reason 540 made me more confortable than 900, because 900 seems overly sensitive and it should be the other way around...

What setup are you guys using, specially on racing cars? And what´s the best to achive 1:1 motion with the in game wheel and my wheel?

These are my settings in game:

Make sure when you calibrate the wheel in AC you calibrate it to 900.

Fanatec driver is set to 900.

THEN, you can change to a lower degree in the on wheel settings if you so choose. If you do not have the above steps set up then your actual degrees will be all messed up.

Is usually do 900 for street cars, 640 for GT race cars, and 480 for Formula style cars. 900 works well enough for everything though.

Seanspeed

Banned
No, your explanation is fine and what you mention of needing to be comfortable to push is very true. The thing is, one may understand what is required to be quick, but to execute it on a gamepad on a 'hardcore' sim I just don't think it's possible for this very reason, you won't feel comfortable with those controls.

I'm not saying it's flat out impossible to control because at the end of the day you do have the analog input for pedals and steering wheel, but your index finger is not your leg and your thumb is not your arms. I very much doubt you can have the level of finesse on your thumb that would be equivalent to turning the wheel say 10º this way or that way at any given time, not to mention the lack of force feedbak, that you should have to susbstitute by an insane amount of intuition. If you can pull it off hats off to you, but then it's either you have developed some kind of superhuman skill with your fingers or I'd worry about how good the simulation is.
I understand that and I don't expect a perfect experience. But it feels weird. Not like any other game I've played.

One of the problems is that you have to play with a high sensitivity. At the minimum, you have to play with the 2nd highest sensitivity setting. All the others are useless. Not because the others don't provide a good enough sensitivity, but because on lower sensitivity levels, even 0.10, some cars are literally *impossible* to get around corners properly at slow speeds. And others require that you slow down *far* more than you should have to. Somehow, the sensitivity just dies at lower speeds. This is annoying as hell cuz I don't like high sensitivity with a controller. In a game like, I need to be able to make precise steering adjustments and a high sensitivity makes that very hard. Not to mention that this 'changing' steering lock at different speeds makes it unintuitive. Its one thing running hotlaps, with the same braking and turn-in points lap after lap where you can memorize what you need to do, and another when actually racing and having to run unoptimum lines at times, having to *also* take into account this variable steering lock.

Honest question, which one(s)?

Haven't tried the latest build with my 360 pad, but see little need to. Will do so out of curiosity next time I play however.
Well I'd never had any good experiences with a controller for PC sims before recently. rFactor(the main sim I used to play), I found it completely unplayable. GTR2, the same.

But Race 07 has damn good controller support. I don't know what they're doing, but it feels very natural.

Assetto Corsa is the most 'hardcore' sim I've played and should definitely require more perfect inputs than these other games, but its still not ideal and I think it could be improved. Perhaps some sort of controller aid is necessary? I don't know.

I thought AC was quite decent with the pad, its more difficult to control the steering due to sensitivity and lack of aids, but I used to play F1 mods on rFactor with a 360 pad with 0 aids, and the analogue stick would give me full lock at high speeds, I just got good at controlling the steering with small precise movements. its possible, just takes practise, but of course isnt ideal at all and doesnt give fine control like a wheel for more complex situations.

I thought out of all PC sims, AC gives the most similar pad feel to Forza. This is because it is quite good at preventing you from applying maximum lock, it feels like its just over the maximum steering angle needed for the speed you're turning, which means a bit of practice can make you decently competitive.
Eh, the comparison with Forza is way off. They aren't remotely close. I'm also not sure how you got the controller to work with rFactor. I tried all sorts of suggested settings and it was just awful.

As for AC, don't get me wrong, I can do decent laps. The support is passable and it can be a lot of fun still, especially with certain cars. I just know I could be a good deal quicker still(not top top times, but competitive). And that grates on me, as I'm not just a 'driving sim' fan, I'm a racer. I need to be confident of where I am with the car. Its hard to race cleanly and quickly with others when you're very unsure about your limits.

Zeth

Counting the hours now.

I kind of wish Kunos would say what they expect the update to contain when it gets this close. I guess it's somewhat safe to expect the Lotus and Nurburgring GP.

Shaneus

Oh wow, so we're getting the GP track now and Nordschleife later on? Nice work, Kunos. The Lotus should be a blast around that track (despite being another Tilke abomination.

Zeth

From AC forum staff

- New car Lotus Exos 125
- New upgrade Lotus Exos 125 S1
- New track Nurburgring GP
- Less noisy bodywork sound for GT cars
- Fixed hotlap penalties always on
- Friends Leaderboard :: filters lap for hotlap mode
- Some performance improvements
- Replay size reduced by 25%
- Gui now restoring hidden apps on exit
- Fixed Gui issues on apps
- Fixed smoke issues on replay
- Tuned low-level settings for smoke
- Fixed time attack start
- Some texture update for Autodromo di Monza
- Anticipated pit limiter when entering pitlane for Silverstone and Silverstone International race circuits
- "New" badge in UI cars thumbnails
- New "special tags" filtering. When you select a player car, the AI opponents selection is now suggesting similar cars. You can of course dismiss the special tag and choose more
- New "add visible" and "clear grid" buttons in custom opponents panel UI
- Launcher theme optimizations.
- Personal best lap is now recorded if penalties are off - steam achievements and online leaderboard times are not.
KNOWN ISSUE: Exos' AI have issues on race start. We are aware about that, thanks

Zeth

Waiting around all morning for the update has its perks. You're looking at the world record holder at Silverstone with the stock 125, LOL. 1:51 - first time I got around the track without mowing the lawn. Think there are only 3 people on the leaderboard :p

So it looks like the 125 S1 is more like a modern F1 car, that is frightening. Going to give it a shot.

Seanspeed

Banned
Waiting around all morning for the update has its perks. You're looking at the world record holder at Silverstone with the stock 125, LOL. 1:51 - first time I got around the track without mowing the lawn. Think there are only 3 people on the leaderboard :p

So it looks like the 125 S1 is more like a modern F1 car, that is frightening. Going to give it a shot.
I was just doing like 1:47 something there, I think. I didn't check the leaderboards to see if it posted, but I was in hotlap mode, so I suppose it should.

EDIT: How do you check the leaderboards? Not seeing the option anywhere? My time was a 1:47.9 with the stock 125 at Silverstone.

Feels really good to drive. The S1 upgrade is a handful, for sure, too.

Neo 007

Just pulled a 2.02 on NurbGP with the 125 using 360 controller.(couldn't be fused setting up my G25 for a quick test).
Probably one of the best feeling open wheel cars I've driven in a sim...can't wait to test it with the G25.

Top Bottom