• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa: Early Access |OT|

Zeth

I was just doing like 1:47 something there, I think. I didn't check the leaderboards to see if it posted, but I was in hotlap mode, so I suppose it should.

EDIT: How do you check the leaderboards? Not seeing the option anywhere? My time was a 1:47.9 with the stock 125 at Silverstone.

Feels really good to drive. The S1 upgrade is a handful, for sure, too.

The non-friend leaderboards are third party apps. There's RSR Live Timing and Rivali Tempo. I usually stick with RSR, I think it's more populated, not sure though. Still highly recommend using them. Adds another dimension to the game, especially since it's largely hotlapping still. I've poured hours into improving times on some of my favorite combos - and it's nice to see your time move up the list.

Dilly

Banned
Don't know why, but I always have it easier to drive these beasts than the road cars in sims.

I'm down to a 1.42.5 after 10 laps at the Nurburgring GP, which isn't too bad on default setup and not a lot of practice.

Shaneus

Don't know why, but I always have it easier to drive these beasts than the road cars in sims.
2W7lg7f.jpg

Seanspeed

Banned
The non-friend leaderboards are third party apps. There's RSR Live Timing and Rivali Tempo. I usually stick with RSR, I think it's more populated, not sure though. Still highly recommend using them. Adds another dimension to the game, especially since it's largely hotlapping still. I've poured hours into improving times on some of my favorite combos - and it's nice to see your time move up the list.
Ah ok. Yea, I've got RSR installed, but haven't updated it so it isn't working at the moment it seems!

I'm down to a 1.42.5 after 10 laps at the Nurburgring GP, which isn't too bad on default setup and not a lot of practice.
Well the fastest lap on RSR is currently a 42.6, so...either you've got that wrong or you're an alien.

Ah I had not considered that!

This car is a bit quick for me. It's partly a wheel problem - the GT rim on the T500 is really not suitable for twitchy cars like this. May have to invest in the Formula rim at some stage...

I'm also not used to driving high-downforce cars. I'm usually driving a Skippy, which has barely any downforce and is all about being smooth, whereas this thing needs confidence and bravery - you can really feel the aero effect at high speeds. I immediately thought of Brundle's many commentaries about how an F1 car comes alive at high speed, and the commitment you need to reach that point. You just can't believe how much more it sticks when you get beyond a certain speed. Corners that you think 'no way is that flat out' are indeed flat out if you have the belief and skill, and yet you're sliding all over the place if you take the same corner tentatively. It becomes a really strange combination of hurling the car into corners ever more recklessly, while at the same time being incredibly precise and balanced with your inputs. I can barely think fast enough. I have so much respect for F1 drivers, they are superhuman! :eek:

Just got in a couple laps, and yeah the Lotus and Nurburgring are both lovely. They really do open wheel cars very well. Not surprising considering their pedigree.

I need to work on that brake pedal so I don't lock up every corner, and of course the ffb settings which remain to be a major issue for me on the T500. It's just a mess. Paz, do you have any settings you're happy with? Care to share?

I believe I'm on default, will check tomorrow. I've been fairly satisfied with the FFB since the update that did something to the tyre model.

Ah, interesting. It's certainly possible I've been chasing ghosts. I should have just tried the default profile again...

Oh jeez, much better. At least on the Exos, which was all I tried. Can't wait to revisit all the cars I broke the ffb on :p

<-- Dummy

Seanspeed

Banned
I've really gotta stop wasting my time playing this.

Spent over two hours between last night and today trying to beat my very mediocre time set yesterday of 1:46.3(NurbGP, 125, stock). And I've learned fucking NOTHING. I've improved by one god damn tenth. I had at least half a dozen laps where I was up by up to 6 tenths but I either spun coming out of the chicane at the end of the lap or the final turn, where touching the curbs is a death trap.

I'm not having fun at all. Its just frustrating as hell.

I'll come back when I get a wheel, but a controller just doesn't cut it.

That's not what I'd call a 'very mediocre' time - going by RSR's current records you'd be about 80th. You won't necessarily be any quicker with a wheel (you'll likely be slower if you've never used one before).

However it should make you more consistent once you've adjusted, so the frustration factor will be reduced.

Watevaman

yeah sean you trounced my best of like 1:59 with a fucking T500RS so don't think you're wasting time. any racing is better than no racing

Zeth

It took me probably a month to get comfortable enough with a wheel that I could beat my previous controller times. It's definitely much more consistent though, none of my controller personal bests remain and I feel like I'm always improving in general.

Seanspeed

Banned
That's not what I'd call a 'very mediocre' time - going by RSR's current records you'd be about 80th. You won't necessarily be any quicker with a wheel (you'll likely be slower if you've never used one before).

However it should make you more consistent once you've adjusted, so the frustration factor will be reduced.
Its mediocre for me. I know *exactly* where there's at least a second(seriously, at least) to be gained but I cant fine tune my steering inputs to extract it. Much of my problem is coming out of corners. I cant unwind the steering lock smoothly which means I'm basically having to 'jerk' the steering over and waiting til the car is basically straightened out to get the power down instead of applying the power gradually as my steering smoothly returns to 0 degrees. This costs me loads of time in general and makes it so running over anything but flat-ish curbs on exits is very dangerous as I'm not smoothly coming on and off them. I've been able to get away with that in other games, but here, it results in spins or at least a lap-ruining bobble if I don't let up on the throttle.

I've used wheels before, definitely. Nothing great, never any really nice one with H-gate shifter or a clutch pedal or anything, but I'm familiar with them. I know its not automatically gonna make me faster, but it will give me room to improve, which is everything to me. Right now, I've basically hit a wall that I *cannot* overcome with the controls available to me.

Having a lot of fun with the Lotus, the game was really missing an F1 type of car. Here is a sloppy Imola lap, almost spun out in the last corner. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiahRH6qm8k&feature=youtu.be

Its mediocre for me. I know *exactly* where there's at least a second(seriously, at least) to be gained but I cant fine tune my steering inputs to extract it. Much of my problem is coming out of corners. I cant unwind the steering lock smoothly which means I'm basically having to 'jerk' the steering over and waiting til the car is basically straightened out to get the power down instead of applying the power gradually as my steering smoothly returns to 0 degrees. This costs me loads of time in general and makes it so running over anything but flat-ish curbs on exits is very dangerous as I'm not smoothly coming on and off them. I've been able to get away with that in other games, but here, it results in spins or at least a lap-ruining bobble if I don't let up on the throttle.

I've used wheels before, definitely. Nothing great, never any really nice one with H-gate shifter or a clutch pedal or anything, but I'm familiar with them. I know its not automatically gonna make me faster, but it will give me room to improve, which is everything to me. Right now, I've basically hit a wall that I *cannot* overcome with the controls available to me.

Jeez man, half this thread is you complaining about the controller support wasting your godlike driving skills... Go back to Forza or suck it up and get a good wheel.
AND this game is still in development, so there is a good chance the devs will make the controller support even better in the future.

I understand, but the fact is, it's not a mediocre time - you're faster than the vast majority who have more dedicated hardware. You've posted a few times about your frustrations, so I'm replying as best I can. I'm not sure what you want us to say... We all know how annoying it can be trying to find time, particularly when it feels like the hardware is the limiting factor. But it's not gonna go away with a wheel. There is always time to find, and if the margins are smaller it doesn't make it any less frustrating when you miss them (I'd argue it's even more so). For example in my case, it feels like the GT rim is slowing me down in this particular car, which requires really fast corrections. But if I bought an F1 rim to address that, there'd be something else that I'd focus on (it would be the brake pedal most likely - I could really do with a load cell - the inconsistent lock ups are costing me a bunch of time too). It never ends.

If you wanna leave it and come back that's fair enough, but if you're achieving that kind of pace already I don't see why you would, unless finding the ultimate lap time is really the only thing you play it for. There is so much to enjoy from just driving the cars, and if your able to lap that fast, you already have enough of a handle on the controls to play around with the cars in a more relaxed manner.

I know I've not been shouting Assetto Corsa praise from the rooftops like you guys have, but after a few laps in the Lotus 125 around the Nurb GP circuit alone, I found myself saying "This is actually quite good fun".

Seanspeed

Banned
Having a lot of fun with the Lotus, the game was really missing an F1 type of car. Here is a sloppy Imola lap, almost spun out in the last corner. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiahRH6qm8k&feature=youtu.be

Jeez man, half this thread is you complaining about the controller support wasting your godlike driving skills... Go back to Forza or suck it up and get a good wheel.
AND this game is still in development, so there is a good chance the devs will make the controller support even better in the future.
My 'godlike' driving skills, come on. :/

I'm frustrated with hitting a wall. I'm frustrated with knowing I could do something better, but being limited from achieving it.

Its not that its 'wasting my super skillz', its just that my enjoyment playing these comes from a competitive standpoint. I can joy ride in cars once in a while but that's not why I play normally. I don't want a driving sim, I want a racing sim.

I'm sorry I have been complaining a lot about it lately, I just really like this game and *want* to enjoy it when I play.

I understand, but the fact is, it's not a mediocre time - you're faster than the vast majority who have more dedicated hardware. You've posted a few times about your frustrations, so I'm replying as best I can. I'm not sure what you want us to say... We all know how annoying it can be trying to find time, particularly when it feels like the hardware is the limiting factor. But it's not gonna go away with a wheel. There is always time to find, and if the margins are smaller it doesn't make it any less frustrating when you miss them (I'd argue it's even more so). For example in my case, it feels like the GT rim is slowing me down in this particular car, which requires really fast corrections. But if I bought an F1 rim to address that, there'd be something else that I'd focus on (it would be the brake pedal most likely - I could really do with a load cell - the inconsistent lock ups are costing me a bunch of time too). It never ends.

If you wanna leave it and come back that's fair enough, but if you're achieving that kind of pace already I don't see why you would, unless finding the ultimate lap time is really the only thing you play it for. There is so much to enjoy from just driving the cars, and if your able to lap that fast, you already have enough of a handle on the controls to play around with the cars in a more relaxed manner.
Again, I don't want to just drive around in a relaxed manner. That's fine for a little bit but I get bored of that quickly. I want to compete against myself and others.

As far as wheel thing goes, I know the pedals can be a problem. Was definitely an issue for me before. But so far, I don't think braking mistakes are really costing me all that much. Unless I lock up massively, I'm typically still able to get the car slowed down sufficiently. I think that's actually a flaw of the game and could perhaps get fixed down the road, but for now, my biggest issue is steering. I think if I can get that mostly dealt with, I'll be much happier and will have my main 'obstacle' lifted.

I'm sure there could be other things to find issue with, but I don't think I'm actually that picky. I'm not actually *that* good at all. Ask guys who've raced with me in Forza. I'm decent, but still a ways away from the top guys. So long as I have the hardware to actually find improvement of some sort and don't feel like I'm at a brick wall, I'll be good.

And yea, I don't expect y'all to say much, sorry. I'm really just venting frustration. I know exactly how to fix my problem, but I'm hesitant to spend the money and where I'll put everything and all the stuff that I've already talked about before, etc etc.

Sorry again for whining. If the game wasn't so awesome, I wouldn't complain, though. :)

No worries! Your hesitation is understandable, it can be quite the money sink. But I think you should go for it - what does your desk space look like at the moment?

BTW Sean, if you're happy to wait until May and pay for delivery from Japan, you're more than welcome to my GT Force Pro. It's not the best wheel in the world, but it's better than a controller.

I would have already offered to help an expat out, but the shipping cost will be greater than the value of the contents. Not to the extent of Marvel however!

My 'godlike' driving skills, come on. :/

I'm frustrated with hitting a wall. I'm frustrated with knowing I could do something better, but being limited from achieving it.

Its not that its 'wasting my super skillz', its just that my enjoyment playing these comes from a competitive standpoint. I can joy ride in cars once in a while but that's not why I play normally. I don't want a driving sim, I want a racing sim.

I'm sorry I have been complaining a lot about it lately, I just really like this game and *want* to enjoy it when I play.

Gotcha, sorry if my reply came across a bit rude. It's great that you are dedicated to this game and I can understand the frustration. Achieving "perfect" controller support is not easy and your fast lap times prove that Kunos at least did a serviceable job with it so far.
I don't know how high controller support is on their priority list, but they probably know that the majority of their target audience is using wheels and I think it's natural that this is the best input method for their game. Does this mean good controller support should be an afterthought? Absolutely not. The bigger the audience that can enjoy this game the better. Still, asking for the true racing experience on a controller is asking a bit much at the moment I think. I hope you'll be able to work something out in the future, it's definitely worth it!

Seanspeed

Banned
No worries! Your hesitation is understandable, it can be quite the money sink. But I think you should go for it - what does your desk space look like at the moment?
Basically this:

Its changed slightly since then, but that should give you the gist. I think I could deal with a wheel clamped to the desk alright. I'd have to push my keyboard somewhere to the side and the pedals would basically be down on the ground on the carpet. But I've got a swivel/roll-y chair, which isn't ideal, but I can probably handle that as well.

Main issue is what the fuck do I with the stuff when I'm not using it. What you don't see in the pic is that I've got a small room, with a larger area for my bed(which takes up 70% of the space) and this little hallway with my armoire and then my desk at the end of it.

BTW Sean, if you're happy to wait until May and pay for delivery from Japan, you're more than welcome to my GT Force Pro. It's not the best wheel in the world, but it's better than a controller.
Mighty generous of you man(and thoughtful as well Big Takeover), but I'm not going back to a wheel like that. That actually is the wheel I had before. I was thinking it was the Driving Force GT, but I looked it up and that came later(for the PS3), so it was definitely the GT Force Pro. Wasn't all that happy with it. The pedals just felt like paper in terms of the pressure needed. I also want a clutch and H-gate shifter now.

Its gotta be something decent.

Gotcha, sorry if my reply came across a bit rude. It's great that you are dedicated to this game and I can understand the frustration. Achieving "perfect" controller support is not easy and your fast lap times prove that Kunos at least did a serviceable job with it so far.
I don't know how high controller support is on their priority list, but they probably know that the majority of their target audience is using wheels and I think it's natural that this is the best input method for their game. Does this mean good controller support should be an afterthought? Absolutely not. The bigger the audience that can enjoy this game the better. Still, asking for the true racing experience on a controller is asking a bit much at the moment I think. I hope you'll be able to work something out in the future, it's definitely worth it!
Controller support is admirable for a sim of this level, no doubt. With rFactor, it was a joke. Completely unusable.

Anyways..............

......I'm buying a G27. Within the next couple days, hopefully. Some good deals on eBay at the moment and I'll see how those auctions go. But I'm definitely getting one. I'll just deal with where to put it. I can lay it in the little 'hallway' of my room, which will be annoying, but I can figure something out longer-term, I think.

So couple questions and we can stop talking about me finally:

- Will the pedals on the carpet be a big issue? Its fairly abrasive carpet and I know the G27 pedals are supposedly somewhat heavy, so should it hold ok?

- Getting a stand is a worst-case scenario as it would guarantee I have pretty much no good place to put it. But does it really make a big difference? I would love one, but its gonna be a big old blatant, ugly thing in the middle of the room, essentially.

paskowitz

Basically this:

......I'm buying a G27. Within the next couple days, hopefully. Some good deals on eBay at the moment and I'll see how those auctions go. But I'm definitely getting one. I'll just deal with where to put it. I can lay it in the little 'hallway' of my room, which will be annoying, but I can figure something out longer-term, I think.

- Will the pedals on the carpet be a big issue? Its fairly abrasive carpet and I know the G27 pedals are supposedly somewhat heavy, so should it hold ok?

- Getting a stand is a worst-case scenario as it would guarantee I have pretty much no good place to put it. But does it really make a big difference? I would love one, but its gonna be a big old blatant, ugly thing in the middle of the room, essentially.

The G27 has a carpet grip for the pedals.

I honestly do not think attaching and removing your G27 is going to be as big a hassle as you think. I did this for quite some time and it never really bothered me. If you plan on hard mounting... that is another story. A stand does make things a little more convenient. I think there are some collapsible stands out there that may meet your needs.

Nice!

Oh yeah, you won't have any problems. You'll have the pedals up against the wall which will obviously stop them from moving backwards. Lateral movement shouldn't be much of an issue, but if it is, that's nothing a little velcro won't fix. The G27 pedals have a little gripper bar, and they do have pretty good weight to them as well.

I've only ever used a desk for sim racing. I rig would be nicer, but a desk works just fine. My only bit of advice would be to experiment with lifting the front edge of the pedals with something to see if a more downward throw is more comfortable for you. Up until my current pedals, that's what I've always done.

Its changed slightly since then, but that should give you the gist. I think I could deal with a wheel clamped to the desk alright. I'd have to push my keyboard somewhere to the side and the pedals would basically be down on the ground on the carpet. But I've got a swivel/roll-y chair, which isn't ideal, but I can probably handle that as well.

Main issue is what the fuck do I with the stuff when I'm not using it. What you don't see in the pic is that I've got a small room, with a larger area for my bed(which takes up 70% of the space) and this little hallway with my armoire and then my desk at the end of it.

Aha! Well it looks like a fairly solid desk, and the right kind of thickness for clamping to. Very similar to mine actually - I think I have the same legs (from IKEA?).

I'm also on a swivel chair, but it's old and not very swivelly so it's not much of a problem. The problem was the castors, which immediately had to go when I switched to a T500. The previous shite pedals of my DFP had virtually no resistance, so it hadn't even crossed my mind... first heavy braking with the T500 and I pushed myself backwards about three feet! So I removed the castors and superglued some rubber feet on the bottom instead.

Logitech pedals have a neat carpet grip that can be deployed - it should do the job for the short term. You may want to increase the brake resistance further at some stage (by default it's not very stiff), at which point you might want to bolt them to something. In the case of my T500 pedals I have them bolted to two bits of wood that push against the skirting board of the wall at the back. My desk is too deep to have the actual pedal box pushing against the wall, so I had to improvise. Yours looks like it might be shallower, in which case you might be able to have the pedals pushed against the wall.

Two things worth noting:

1) The G27 has many of the controls on the gear stick, which means it needs to be attached all the time, even when you might prefer to be using paddles. This makes quick-fire attachment and detachment of your equipment a bit of a faff.

2) The G27's cable management is not ideal for this either, with the connectors and cables having to go right underneath the wheel base rather than at the side or back of the base, as with most wheels.

But not the end of the world as paskowitz says.

I have my pedals under my desk permanently, and the two cables I need to plug into the wheel base (pedal connector, power) are always floating around by the side of the desk. Much like the DFP, I can have my T500 set up in roughly 20 seconds. With the cables more awkwardly placed on a G27, plus the gear stick, it might take closer to a minute or so.

Compared to a rig I don't know, never used one. For sure it would feel more secure. At the start you might find that you're moving the pedals around a bit, or starting to shift the wheel off the desk as you fight the FFB. But I think it's pretty good practice for smoothing your inputs and not getting too aggressive when there is the danger of things shifting around. I am able to run pretty strong FFB and drive 30-minute races in iRacing without anything shifting around, and I don't have anything bolted down.

Business

Basically this:

The biggest difference it makes is it will lock the pedals and the wheel, always straight, always the same position of one relative to the other plus your pedals won't go away if you press them too hard. A folding stand should not take that much space. Having said that you can have a perfectly driveable setup with your pedals on the carpet and your wheel on a regular desk, and you should be able to install it in a minute.

Seanspeed

Banned
Went ahead and ordered it from Amazon, as I don't feel like waiting and was a little sketchy buying a used one(I know wheels often develop problems). Express shipping cuz I'm feeling impatient and it wasn't a bad deal! lol Should be here in the next couple days.

Thanks for the advice folks. Good to know that the pedals shouldn't be an issue. I'd love to mod the brakes, but I'm pretty sure its not possible without bolting it down and getting rid of my swivel chair(or at least the castors, like you did Pazuzu), which isn't gonna happen(love my chair).

Woohoo. I'll probably still have some questions once I get it, but we can probably get back to talking about AC now! :)

Sweeet.

Either way you're probably going to want to curb those casters. At least the rear ones. Even the slightest bit of rollback will make you insane. I remember even binding the wheels with bic pen caps which worked surprising well. I've used caster cups, and now actually have replacement locking casters with only cost $10 from Amazon. They work great when I'm driving, but admittedly are a somewhat of a pain when I'm not. I'm constantly accidentally stepping on a brakes. I might try and mod something up to prevent that from happening. I don't actually need casters though. Maybe I should try living without them Paz-style.

Very nicely done SMOK3Y. Is that a DSD shifter?

Looks like pretty much the ideal setup, maybe only some Simvibe stuff could improve it ;)

And is that a camera attached to the seat?

Shaneus

Damn nice setup there. All I want is a convenient way to have something like a proper racing seat that can somehow also double as a desk chair or something :/ (without costing shitloads)

Business

Very nicely done SMOK3Y. Is that a DSD shifter?

Looks like pretty much the ideal setup, maybe only some Simvibe stuff could improve it ;)

And is that a camera attached to the seat?

It is a DSD shifter, I've got the same but with the bent rod. The most solid piece of hardware I own, you wouldn't break it even on purpose.

If it's setup posting time:

1497191_1020129010328d6oaa.jpg

I am pretty happy with using the wheel stand. I don't have the biggest flat, but I have everything on this small carpet and can just slide it into a corner when I am not using it.

Went ahead and ordered it from Amazon, as I don't feel like waiting and was a little sketchy buying a used one(I know wheels often develop problems). Express shipping cuz I'm feeling impatient and it wasn't a bad deal! lol Should be here in the next couple days.

Thanks for the advice folks. Good to know that the pedals shouldn't be an issue. I'd love to mod the brakes, but I'm pretty sure its not possible without bolting it down and getting rid of my swivel chair(or at least the castors, like you did Pazuzu), which isn't gonna happen(love my chair).

Woohoo. I'll probably still have some questions once I get it, but we can probably get back to talking about AC now! :)

Prepare to have your mind blown. Afaik Kunos is using a G27 for the most part in development and it shows.

Foshy

Is 1080p/60fps with low-medium settings achievable on a early 2013 MacBook Pro Retina? 15" model, i7@2.7GHz, GT 650M, 16 GB RAM. Running in Windows, obviously.

Game looks great, if my MacBook could run it decently I'd get it.

Probably, it's not all that demanding at low settings, particularly with just one car on track. It might struggle to maintain 60 with a full grid though. Not the ideal laptop game tbh... unless you're planning to output to a bigger screen?

Foshy

Probably, it's not all that demanding at low settings, particularly with just one car on track. It might struggle to maintain 60 with a full grid though. Not the ideal laptop game tbh... unless you're planning to output to a bigger screen?

Yeah, got a 27" monitor connected to it. Usually use it for work and am primarly a console and handheld guy, but after playing and enjoying the Titanfall beta on PC I figured I should look into some PC exclusives and I really like racing games. Also got a Logitech G27 for the PS3.

Yeah, got a 27" monitor connected to it. Usually use it for work and am primarly a console and handheld guy, but after playing and enjoying the Titanfall beta on PC I figured I should look into some PC exclusives and I really like racing games. Also got a Logitech G27 for the PS3.
Aha. Well you're in business, assuming it's not too much of a hassle hooking up both the monitor and the G27 to the laptop.

Fuck me, i could not pull a lap below 1:50 on nurb with the exo 125 (default setup).
Too many wheel block and i keep messing with the first corner.

Seanspeed

Banned
Some damn enviable racing setups in here.

I imagine you guys will be all over the Oculus Rift when it comes out? Should be the ultimate 'simulation' experience.

Top Bottom