• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa: Early Access |OT|

Domstercool

I genuinely feel that Brits have it all wrong with right hand drive. I'm sure its not a huge problem getting used to it, but when the majority of the human population are right-handed, it makes far more sense to do the fiddly bit with your right arm and not your left. .

You're right, it would technically make more sense to flip it, but then it's a historical thing that has been passed down from the times of the horse and cart. I'm not sure why other countries copied though, since the bottom half of Africa, Australasia and Japan also do it.

In days of old logic dictated that when people passed each other on the road they should be in the best possible position to use their sword to protect themselves. As most people are right handed they therefore keep to their left. This practice was formalised in a Papal Edict by Pope Benefice around 1300AD who told all his pilgrims to keep to the left.

I think I'm going to pick this game up in the sale. It's piques my interest, especially with the updates.

I don't get it. What on earth is he doing there to achieve that? I've managed to get down to the 1:24's, but I'm quickly reaching a point where improvement is going to come smaller and smaller til I can sort out my braking. Its impossible for me to drive my desired line if I cant slow the car down how I need it to and regain some ounce of control at the end of it.

You're going to find it almost impossible to match people's times when using the clutch. Since you don't actually need to clutch to shift, all you're really doing is disengaging the engine braking, and thus making braking distances longer. Jambo uses a DFGT, so all he's doing is pulling gears as fast as he can. If I recall correctly, the other fast guy that sort of just popped in used the h-pattern, but just so he could go directly from 5 to 3. No clutch (or at least I doubt it).

I think this came up somewhere else a little while ago, but clutching is best saved for when there's no over-rev protection on a car, or it simply won't shift consistently without it. AC just lets you bang gears, so that's going to be the fastest way around. If you want a better sim to clutch on I suggest the rFactors, or some of the cars in iRacing.

JamboGT

I haven't read back yet but I assume we are discussing that Magione lap?

I actually think having a proper shifter would help, in order to upshift smoothly I was lifting off the throttle when using the paddle as without the rear end was getting loose at times, on braking, that lap is still not one I have matched into the first corner, I nailed it, simple as that, haven't done it since, I was letting the car go deep to get a nice straight exit so maybe braking later than what would be ideal for a "proper" racing line.

And yes, downshifting was a case of just banging down through the gears, no throttle work at all.

For the record I though Kamkor was racing with the clutch as well.

Zeth

Sean: I'm not a heal-toe expert and also somewhat new to using a wheel. Do you break with your right foot in the H-shifter cars? This might not be optimal but AC is pretty much the only sim I play. I break with my left foot which means I only have to blip the throttle with my right to downshift, no clutch necessary - no blip necessary in some cars actually. I realize the clutch mechanic isn't fully implemented yet, but this is how I've been doing it, and it's allowed me to be pretty competitive in those cars like the E30 and X-bow while I learn to heel-toe in the meantime.

If you normally break with your right foot, this might not be feasible, but I'm fairly comfortable with it as I've been left-foot breaking since I got the wheel. Of course this will likely bite me in the ass when(if?) the clutch is fully implemented and I can't just cheat anymore - so feel free to totally disregard!

edit: what he said
I think this came up somewhere else a little while ago, but clutching is best saved for when there's no over-rev protection on a car, or it simply won't shift consistently without it. AC just lets you bang gears, so that's going to be the fastest way around. If you want a better sim to clutch on I suggest the rFactors, or some of the cars in iRacing.

Seanspeed

Banned
Well you definitely cant just ignore the clutch if you have it operational. Shifting up, you can shift without pushing in the clutch, but you still need to lift the throttle.

Downshifting without the clutch I haven't quite figured out, but most of the time, unless I downshift late and safe(and slow), it just creates a grinding noise and doesn't let up til you press the clutch to slot into gear properly.

Neither of these seem to be good solutions. I'm quick with the clutch so upshifting isn't much of a problem(although the fact that I powershift with a controller is definitely an advantage impossible to replicate), its just the downshifting.

I've also just done a run with some clutch aids on and I really need to work on figuring out the braking in general. I'm locking up everywhere with the lightest touch in the Xbow. I set the brake gamma up higher and I can press down a bit harder, which helps, but I'm still reaching the locking up point quite unexpectedly.

@Zeth - yea, I right-foot brake. I'd really rather learn to heel/toe properly, since I'd like to be able to carry some of that over to real-life driving if possible.

So I think two main things on the agenda:

1) Get comfortable with the braking in general.

2) Learn heel/toe.

I might turn off the clutch for when it comes time to race or properly hotlap for the time being, but its something I'd really like to learn how to do in a track situation properly. For other games, for fun, but also because I'd like to get out on a track in real life here soon.

EDIT: Ok, I JUST DONT get how to brake. I'm locking up with like 1/8th pressure on the pedal, even at gamma 4.0. This is ridiculous. I need a god damn brake pressure setting, FFS.

EDIT2: And now its stopped doing that. WTF?

If you're going to use the clutch, heel and toeing is for all intents and purposes mandatory. It's a big bag of hurt otherwise as you're seeing for yourself.

No clutch downshifting requires blipping the throttle to get a smooth shift. You should be doing as much braking as you can before shifting. Got the let those revs fall.

Can you left foot brake when you aren't clutching? If not, I'd suggest that as the first thing you should play around with. It's not mandatory, and lots of people brake with their right, but boy does it make life easier.

Later on down the line when you've got your handle, you can combine both by braking with your left foot when there are no downshifts required, and when there are, switch to your right.

Arucardo

I taught myself to heel-toe with a sequential first (with manual clutch though), since having to worry about shifting through the gates made it slightly more difficult.

You're going to find it almost impossible to match people's times when using the clutch. Since you don't actually need to clutch to shift, all you're really doing is disengaging the engine braking, and thus making braking distances longer. Jambo uses a DFGT, so all he's doing is pulling gears as fast as he can. If I recall correctly, the other fast guy that sort of just popped in used the h-pattern, but just so he could go directly from 5 to 3. No clutch (or at least I doubt it).

I always engine break, even when using the clutch. But I would think it's still slower than using paddle shifters as the downshifting is obviously slower.

@ Shaun.
I know it's easier said then done, but as other have said, find the fun first, worry about times later. It will come.

Ok i'm nowhere near your league guys but today i managed to gain almost 3 seconds on my best lap on nurb Gp with the exo 125 thus pulling a low 1:48.

I've shortened the gear length a little bit and it seems to help me a lot i think i can pull a 1:46 with these settings.

Glad i'm making progress (granted i'm starting low).

In other news i love doing the mugello with the exo 125.

LilJoka

They have got engine damage now, so if you over rev on a down shift itll damage the engine. However i notieced that the engine can get damaged, but doesnt lose power until its 100% damaged at which point it cuts off. So you can still get a couple laps in with aggressive down shifting.

Seanspeed

Banned
Ok i'm nowhere near your league guys but today i managed to gain almost 3 seconds on my best lap on nurb Gp with the exo 125 thus pulling a low 1:48.

I've shortened the gear length a little bit and it seems to help me a lot i think i can pull a 1:46 with these settings.

Glad i'm making progress (granted i'm starting low).

In other news i love doing the mugello with the exo 125.
Good to hear man.

Not sure how shortening the gears helps(usually just makes it harder to accelerate!), but hey, if it works, it works.

As for me, I think I'm actually getting a hang of heel/toe already. I'm still letting off the clutch too quickly at times(before I've blipped the gas) and most importantly, I'm still struggling to maximize my braking as I'm sometimes thinking too much of the blipping/clutch/shifting actions and not enough on the important bit of slowing the car down! lol But I'm definitely *able* to come out of my shifts perfectly fine while still hitting the same braking point I was going for before. Just need to do it consistently and start to make it second nature.

My issue with the braking earlier is basically solved. I put the pedal telemetry up to see what the hell was going on and I confirmed that sometimes my brakes were going to full pressure with about 1/8-1/4 press and other times I had more leeway. I checked the connection and the pedal cable wasn't fully plugged in. I dont know what was going on specifically, but it was definitely messing things up. I've since set the brake gamma all the way down to 1.0 and it feels quite good now. Still not 100% on top of it, but it feels acceptable now.

But I'm down to a 1:23.5 in the Xbow at Magione. Still a ways to go, but I feel I can do it now. I need to be a bit more aggressive with my turning, as I'm actually being a bit too smooth and I'm finding I can actually get on the throttle earlier now that I'm getting better at creating the lines I want to. Before I was just basically at the mercy of how my braking turned out and then I dealt with it. I think once I've really got the heel/toe thing down, I'll be able to push and trail brake into corners like I need to.

Redrum_82

Before I jump in as I really want to try this game out, will I get average performance on a core2duo at 3ghz and a gtx 260? 720p is fine I just want to know if it's going to drop to sub 20 fps which will get annoying.

I have a Core2Duo 2.6Ghz and a Radeon HD5770: it runs fine with hotlaps (pretty solid 60fps at 1680x1050), but when I do races against AI it's barely playable (constant sub 20).

I hope that online multiplayer will be less stressful on the CPU then AI.

fozzy

Well I finally bought it. Hoping it plays well with the Xbox 360 controller. That's all I'll be using for the forseeable future.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Well I finally bought it. Hoping it plays well with the Xbox 360 controller. That's all I'll be using for the forseeable future.
I'm playing on a TV, and it seems like it's designed to be played on a desktop. Microscopic ui and you can't use the controller to navigate it either.

Seanspeed

Banned
Having trouble with the brakes again. Its gone back to being ultra-sensitive. Double checked the cord was plugged in fine and yep, nothing wrong there.

Really annoying. I'll check tomorrow to see if this is a problem with the game or the wheel. Sincerely hope I don't have to send it back now that I was just starting to get the hang of things. :(

@mattie - yea, you still need km+m to navigate the menus, unfortunately. That will hopefully be fixed in the future. I'm sure there will be plenty of HUD mods later on as well, although racing sims like this do tend to be meant to be played up close to a screen.

microtubule

New ~17MB hotfix via Steam:

- Default Exos setup now has maximum fuel for longer AI races.
- Some minor improvements in Lotus Exos AI
- Improvements on Nurburgring GP AI line for all cars
- Lotus Exos 125 hand gearshift animations
- Traction Control steps for Lotus Exos 125
- Improved downshift revs matching
- Fixed setup differential step on Lotus Exos 125
- Slight modifications on the range of the Lotus Exos 125' rebound dampers
- Default launcher theme: Fixed an issue with personal best times not being saved under certain conditions
- Default launcher theme: Control post-configuration check for required assists (e.g. activate autoclutch when no clutch assigned, etc)
- Added rotation limit option for in-game steering wheel.

anddo0

I've been watching some videos. I'm impressed, and would like to take advantage of the sale.

Will they be adding career mode at some point?

WigerToods

Neo Member
I didnt read the whole thread, but what do you guys think about drifting in this game? I find it extremely difficult, as soon as i drift a tiny bit the car becomes absolutely uncontrollable. Used to do well in Forza 4, but i know that's a different thing.

I didnt read the whole thread, but what do you guys think about drifting in this game? I find it extremely difficult, as soon as i drift a tiny bit the car becomes absolutely uncontrollable. Used to do well in Forza 4, but i know that's a different thing.

Ive been trying to get it for a long time with my wheel setup and I just can't do it, I have pro mode on with no assist, I'm wondering if your suppose to keep a couple on just to keep the car from losing it so much

nasanu

Banned

It is because the physics model isn't quite right yet. It is especially noticeable in road cars, they just move in strange ways doing a kind of crab walk. When they get the physics right drifting will be right too.

The physics model is perfectly good enough to drift, it's all about how the tyres are controllable beyond the limit, and AC is very progressive in the way tyres let go and regain grip. Beyond that, certain cars have the right characteristics for drifting, so some are easier than others. The E92 M3 can drift all day long for example.

malyce

Am I going crazy, or is it impossible to do sub 1'44.000 in the Z4 @ imola? I read the car got handicapped after the 0.6 update and made it slower, but did the times remain the same? I can run mid 1'45s and I can probably string together a 1'44.xxx, but I fail to see a 1'43.xxx in that combo.

kharma45

Quite tempted to jump in to this as I can get it for ~£11.

Is there an ETA for MP or will it be a while off yet? Have't played any sort of racing game since the bile that was F1 2012.

Seanspeed

Banned
Quite tempted to jump in to this as I can get it for ~£11.

Is there an ETA for MP or will it be a while off yet? Have't played any sort of racing game since the bile that was F1 2012.
Back in Feb, they said the aim was to release MP before the end of March, so hopefully quite soon.

And where can you get it for £11?

kharma45

Back in Feb, they said the aim was to release MP before the end of March, so hopefully quite soon.

And where can you get it for £11?

The B/S/T thread.

Think I'll pick it up then, leaning towards it more than pCARS but I can't seem to put my finger on why. I guess it's partly down the fact I can actually buy this and play it.

I take it I'll not go far wrong for £11?

CLR_CMOS

Neo Member
Am I going crazy, or is it impossible to do sub 1'44.000 in the Z4 @ imola? I read the car got handicapped after the 0.6 update and made it slower, but did the times remain the same? I can run mid 1'45s and I can probably string together a 1'44.xxx, but I fail to see a 1'43.xxx in that combo.

Keep trying ;-) I managed to do a 1:43.8XX but I'm not sure if that was pre or post-patch. It wasn't easy though...

The B/S/T thread.

Think I'll pick it up then, leaning towards it more than pCARS but I can't seem to put my finger on why. I guess it's partly down the fact I can actually buy this and play it.

I take it I'll not go far wrong for £11?

Depends what you want. It's much less a racing game than it is a driving simulator. There are some preset challenges and some basic AI racing, but it's unfinished and not that fun to race them. There is no career mode at the moment, and no online (although there are apps to compare laptimes with others). So at the moment its about enjoying the cars and basically making up your own fun (as you would if you were handed the keys to one of these cars and an empty track).

If you want a racing game with all the trimmings, then you'll be disappointed, even at £11. But if you're happy to enjoy what's there for now, and have the patience to wait for what's coming, then it's a no-brainer.

What a shame, thank you for the info. I'll buy AC as soon as they implement a good weather system.
Weather is nice to have, but to be the determining factor for a purchase of a sim is quite odd. Hardly any sims concentrate on good weather systems, and I'd argue that none of them have got it right. It add so much unnecessary complication - after all that effort I would think most people would prefer to drive (and particularly, race) in the dry.

Seanspeed

Banned
Weather is nice to have, but to be the determining factor for a purchase of a sim is quite odd. Hardly any sims concentrate on good weather systems, and I'd argue that none of them have got it right. It add so much unnecessary complication - after all that effort I would think most people would prefer to drive (and particularly, race) in the dry.
Thank god I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I think its become this checklist feature that some people feel like they need, but is really only a novelty.

I'm certainly happy we have sims that have 24hr cycles and rain, but I'd never knock one for not. I just look at it as a bonus. That said, the further you get from the pinnacle of day/dry simulation, the more these features probably matter. pCARS has an incredible weather system, and I think it's really going to a big plus for them.

The physics model is perfectly good enough to drift, it's all about how the tyres are controllable beyond the limit, and AC is very progressive in the way tyres let go and regain grip. Beyond that, certain cars have the right characteristics for drifting, so some are easier than others. The E92 M3 can drift all day long for example.

This. AC's tire model is wonderful; the sliding is solid.

Zeth

Put up some solid times in the McLaren GT3. The Nurb lap is pretty rough, at least a second to gain if I could be more consistent.

JwZv7GJ.jpg

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Very nicely done SMOK3Y. Is that a DSD shifter?

Looks like pretty much the ideal setup, maybe only some Simvibe stuff could improve it ;)

And is that a camera attached to the seat?
thanks man, yeah mate shes a DSD as SpeedOfNuts say solid as awsome shifter lol (i use the camera for recording my races i have with the racing group im in
It is a DSD shifter, I've got the same but with the bent rod. The most solid piece of hardware I own, you wouldn't break it even on purpose.
ya its awsome
Holy shit, just noticed the Queensland plates in the background. Aussies unite!

:)

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Some damn enviable racing setups in here.

I imagine you guys will be all over the Oculus Rift when it comes out? Should be the ultimate 'simulation' experience.

ya I have a Oculus Rift works awesome with rF2 really feels like your in the car. but really looking forward to the 1080p DK2 will really make a difference

Three60

2013 Pagani Huayra is coming this friday >

Also some Oculus Rift "progress" :/ >

It's tradition at KUNOS simulazioni to invite our welcomed guests at Righetto's restaurant, proposing some of the best plates of the roman cuisine. And, if you know the guest we got the pleasure to meet today , you can guess on what we are working this week at Kunos studios. Assetto Corsa welcomes Aaron Davies, Head of Developer Relations at Oculus VR, here with Giovanni Romagnoli and Marco Massarutto, respectively Senior Programmer and Production Director at KUNOS Simulazioni.

BobTheSpy

Banned
Could this game teach me to drive stick? Well, my friend is teaching me in a few weeks, but I'm really intrigued by the idea of buying this game, an oculus rift and the G27 and learning to drive stick (and race fast awesome cars, obviously.) Obviously, it won't be quite like the real thing... but the idea really intrigues me.

Could this game teach me to drive stick? Well, my friend is teaching me in a few weeks, but I'm really intrigued by the idea of buying this game, an oculus rift and the G27 and learning to drive stick (and race fast awesome cars, obviously.) Obviously, it won't be quite like the real thing... but the idea really intrigues me.
As with most sim pedals, the clutch resistance on the G27 is too light and there is no biting point to feel. Combine that with the rather odd clutch behaviour in AC at the moment, and you have something that is pretty far removed from real gear changing. Going through the motions in a sim might help with the basic coordination of limbs, but to actually use it to learn to drive seems like doing things in the wrong order, as it might make your real driving worse. If there's one area where AC is too forgiving, it's gear changes. It will still successfully grab the next gear even if you totally muck up the clutch work, so you might pick up bad habits.

BobTheSpy

Banned
As with most sim pedals, the clutch resistance on the G27 is too light and there is no biting point to feel. Combine that with the rather odd clutch behaviour in AC at the moment, and you have something that is pretty far removed from real gear changing. Going through the motions in a sim might help with the basic coordination of limbs, but to actually use it to learn to drive seems like doing things in the wrong order, as it might make your real driving worse. If there's one area where AC is too forgiving, it's gear changes. It will still successfully grab the next gear even if you totally muck up the clutch work, so you might pick up bad habits.

Oh... okay. :( Are they going to improve the clutch + shifting mechanics? I'm pretty sure in pCars (from what the contributors have told me) you can actually stall your car if you mess up shifting.

Oh... okay. :( Are they going to improve the clutch + shifting mechanics? I'm pretty sure in pCars (from what the contributors have told me) you can actually stall your car if you mess up shifting.
Thinking about it I may have got that slightly wrong, as I'm only using paddles to sequentially shift (with clutch), and the settings might be different with an H-shifter. You can certainly stall the car from a standstill (although it restarts immediately), and apparently you can stall in H-shifter cars while moving. I can't remember whether I've done that, will have to check. Either way, people are finding the gears to be pretty forgiving. They are certainly still working on the details of this, so it should improve.

Hopefully someone with an H-shifter can clarify.

Top Bottom