• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa: Early Access |OT|

Three60

https://www.facebook.com/Assetto.Corsa

As you might know, in our recent poll we asked which car brands you would like to get in Assetto Corsa in future: we did it with the aim to drive our investment decisions in the right way. One of the most voted brands was RUF Automobile: so, we are really glad to announce that three RUF Automobile car models have been officially licensed for the racing game Assetto Corsa! More details will be revealed in future: meanwhile, enjoy the first wip images related to the development of the awesome CTR Yellowbird, one of the most wanted RUF cars.

2ZbX1H1.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.841163539243299.1073741848.305504559475869&type=1

Seanspeed

Banned
Cool for some people, I guess.

Personally, I think most of the supercars are awful to drive. Understeery, too much power, and just generally handle like pigs.

Give me some proper track equipment.

vanty

Yeah I'd much rather they focus on race cars. RUF is cool and all, and I'm sure they will be a thousand times more fun to drive than the horrific stock E92 M3 I did some laps in before, but race cars are made for race tracks and will always be more fun than a road car.

Three60

Yeah I'd much rather they focus on race cars. RUF is cool and all, and I'm sure they will be a thousand times more fun to drive than the horrific stock E92 M3 I did some laps in before, but race cars are made for race tracks and will always be more fun than a road car.

It's completely opposite for me, supersticky tires, too much grip, aerodynamics and such makes race cars "boring" to drive and if I could chose (in a sim) road cars all the way..

^ Talking about new(ish) race cars..

But that's just me :)

Shaneus

It's completely opposite for me, supersticky tires, too much grip, aerodynamics and such makes race cars "boring" to drive and if I could chose (in a sim) road cars all the way..

Same boat. I like my cars to have a bit of personality to them. In other non-sim games like PGR4 and Forza 3/4, I always drove A-class or less (and even then, it was only lower-class cars upgraded to those rather than stock A-class).

I'm happy with RUF. Shame we'll never get to see Porsche, but they're the next-best thing :)

Business

Agree too. I'd rather take street / super cars any day.

Seanspeed

Banned
I don't mind some road cars. But supercars all just feel over-powered for the amount of grip they produce, so you basically have to tiptoe around in them and brake like 10000 meters before a turn and whatnot.

I like cars I can really lean on and drive hard.

I think there is fun to be found in all of them. I find road cars enjoyable due to how much they move around and how the powerful ones require a lot of restraint, whereas race cars are exciting because they need to be pushed incredibly hard to get the tyres and downforce to work. Very different challenges and potentially equally rewarding. If I was going to pick one I'd pick a road car, simply because the limits are more accessible and easier/less dangerous to play around with. The limit of a race car is sharper, and hard work to keep it dancing on the edge of slip/grip. It can be too much like hard work at times, and if I'm not pushing they can become quite lifeless in sims, without all the harsh ride, G-forces and true sense of speed. If I back off (while still going much faster than a road car) they become well within their performance capabilites and don't do anything interesting.

^ Took my words and made them much nicer.

Basically, if you find modern race cars "boring" in sims, it's because you aren't pushing the car.

Nothing boring about being on a razor's edge at triple digit speeds.

Race cars built from road cars - the best of both worlds :) Death to prototypes!

I think you can get a good sim car from a variety of car types. The ingredients for fun are often shared even when the cars are very different. "Road" and "race" doesn't actually tell you that much. Those groups are way too diverse.

Seanspeed

Banned
I imagine that once multiplayer hits, we'll see that the lighter and less powerful cars, as well as the race cars obviously, get the most play.

I'm glad the supercars are there, for variety's sake and all, though.

Zeth

The McLaren GT3 is my absolute favorite lately. I'm down to a 1:59.387 at Nurb GP and 1:47.131 at Mugello. The all around Pro Ranks on RSR are fun too, so I'm trying to put in good times on all tracks with the McLaren and the Exos S1.

In other news, my AC just updated… must be a hot fix of some kind.

Yeah - mini update it seems.

- Further reductions to the launcher's physical RAM usage while the simulator is active.
- Huayra steering wheel lock to lock modification
- Huayra collision boxes adjustments
- Updates and fixes on new skins of BMW 1M S3 and BMW M3 E30 Drift
- Huayra fixed rims orientation

paskowitz

Speaking of the Huayra, I only tried it briefly but I don't like it. Ugly cockpit too!

Turbo lag takes some getting used to. In addition the grip levels are hard to... get to grips with. Tires have tons of grip and then the turbo kicks in and then they snap.

Seanspeed

Banned
Just discovered the Evora S S2 upgrade. An extra 60hp or so and the handling is improved massively. Incredibly neutral balance and its definitely up there with some of the best cars to drive in the game, I think. Only tried it on a couple tracks, but its definitely in my list of cars I want to spend more time with.

Cant get over how much of a difference this G27 makes. The only reason I ever play any other games is because it'll be late at night and the wheel is too noisy to use! I'm completely addicted.

Down to a 1:46.6 with the Formula Abarth at Imola, which is 1.4 seconds faster than I could manage on the controller.

With the Xbow @ Magione, I've gotten down to a 1:21.3, so a second off my best controller time still. But a lot better than the 7 seconds off I was before! It really requires some incredibly precise driving and I'm not 100% comfortable pushing it super hard yet. But I'm getting there.

And I've beaten a few other controller times already, even with H-gate cars. So I'm getting quite comfortable and yet I still feel there's a whole lot to improve on and learn. Its *exactly* what I wanted and was hoping for.

Zeth

And I've beaten a few other controller times already, even with H-gate cars. So I'm getting quite comfortable and yet I still feel there's a whole lot to improve on and learn. Its *exactly* what I wanted and was hoping for.

I'm right there with you. Getting a wheel was a revelation - I cannot get enough driving, and it's been a couple of months now. At first I was worried that I couldn't match my old controller times, but now I've long since passed them and I'm constantly improving incrementally with the wheel. In AC I've been hooked on the race cars, especially the McLaren GT3 and Exos - but I also love the "slower" H-gate cars like the e30 grA and Lotus'. They are just as fun, if not more.

Nice! You should try some other games/sims that you're familiar with a controller - the G27 should transform them too.

I've been meaning to do this too. I bought GSC - actually had a lot of fun messing with the karts, but haven't started it up again. I want to try the slower Formulas too, I just don't know any of the tracks except Interlagos. And I need to check which steering lock settings to use, that was always an issue when I tried it.

TJP

I've been meaning to do this too. I bought GSC - actually had a lot of fun messing with the karts, but haven't started it up again. I want to try the slower Formulas too, I just don't know any of the tracks except Interlagos. And I need to check which steering lock settings to use, that was always an issue when I tried it.
Read through the following link, it should help: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/gsc2013-faq.78951/

microtubule

Really, really love the Nurb GP in AC. Yeah, I'd rather have the full route but took the Tatuus F.Abarth out for a spin and before I knew it 5 laps in the books.

Kunos just posted some Spa work-in-progress screens:

main set right here

I swore to myself that I'd wait for the retail Rift, and although days like yesterday kill me, I'm going to stick to my guns. I need a PC for it anyway, which I'm taking care of now-ish.

Atrophis

Yeah I ordered one but no way is my current rig going to be able to run AC in VR mode :(

My first and only experience of VR was the iRacing demo on the Rift HD at Gamescom last year. I instantly knew I had to get one for sim racing.

Business

Anyone else order an Oculus DK2? :)

I know the current implementation isn't ideal - but here's hoping we see some improvement in the coming months!

Thank you - will give this a shot tomorrow.

I did and couldn't be more excited. If AC is not working properly I may resub to iRacing.

A small credit card problem prevented me from ordering the DK2 the moment it went on sale. I've since corrected the issue, but in the interim, talked myself out of the purchase. I don't know how, but I'm gonna try and wait for the consumer model in 2015.

Is it still March 2014??? Noooooooo.

Seanspeed

Banned
Nice! You should try some other games/sims that you're familiar with a controller - the G27 should transform them too.
I've got GT6, but no real way of hooking my wheel up in the living room. I've honestly just kind of forgotten about that game, although I do want to play it some more eventually. Just scratches an itch that hardcore sims cant in a lot of ways.

For now, I think I'm gonna stick with AC and keep learning and getting more comfortable. Since I'm getting fairly happy with my performance levels, I'm starting to run longer stints, testing my consistency and getting a bit of preparation in for multiplayer.

Anyone else order an Oculus DK2? :)
I just bought a G27! In a way, that almost makes me want the DK2 even more but I don't think I can justify the cost at the moment. I'm also taking a weekend trip to Istanbul next weekend, so that's more money I'm spending on frivolous needs.

I do think I'd consider going in on a split buy-in with somebody else from London, though. Its gonna be very hard to resist entirely.

This is a pretty cool endurance series Special Events pack. GT3 and Multiclass should be much better now that you don't have to start in last.
Sounds really good. And would be perfect for what I'm trying to do at the moment.

Just gotta try and get through the first couple turns with that damn AI....

I've had cash put aside for the Rift for ages, really was tempted to order that DK2 but worried the retail one will be out soon enough and make me regret not waiting a little longer.

I've got GT6, but no real way of hooking my wheel up in the living room. I've honestly just kind of forgotten about that game, although I do want to play it some more eventually. Just scratches an itch that hardcore sims cant in a lot of ways.
GT6 is great with a wheel - can't you plug the PS3 into your monitor? That's what I do. Easier to move a console to your room than a wheel setup into the living room...

Seanspeed

Banned
GT6 is great with a wheel - can't you plug the PS3 into your monitor? That's what I do. Easier to move a console to your room than a wheel setup into the living room...
I really don't want to. I use the PS3 as a Netflix machine for the living room, so I like having it there. Moving it back and forth whenever I wanted to play it would be a huge pain in the ass and totally not worth it.

Would also clutter up my small desk even more than it already is.

I'm not that worried about it. I like GT, but I've become a little disenfranchised with it since playing Forza. Its fun, but its not something I find myself really dying to play.

I really don't want to. I use the PS3 as a Netflix machine for the living room, so I like having it there. Moving it back and forth whenever I wanted to play it would be a huge pain in the ass and totally not worth it.

Would also clutter up my small desk even more than it already is.

I'm not that worried about it. I like GT, but I've become a little disenfranchised with it since playing Forza. Its fun, but its not something I find myself really dying to play.
Fair enough, but it's worth a try I think - a wheel transforms the game just as much as you found with AC. Still has the best Nordschleife...

Zeth

Just installed a brake spring mod in my G27 pedals. Going to test it out and mess with the gamma/dead zone until I find something I like.

edit: it's the GTeye specifically. Only just found out the other one (Nixim) apparently is a bit stiffer. Oh well, not a bad deal anyway. Though I am a bit worried that the spring itself came dry despite their literature/instructions describing it as pre-lubricated. I'll soon find out.

edit 2: spring mod is fantastic. Feels like an actual brake now. It has a few mm of light resistance followed by a severe ramping up, which feels much more like a car. Where the stiff resistance at the end brings your foot to a slow stop, instead of a plastic click of the pedal bottoming out. Those few millimeter at the start are much easier to commit to muscle memory because you can feel the spring rate change quite quickly.

Seanspeed

Banned
Fair enough, but it's worth a try I think - a wheel transforms the game just as much as you found with AC. Still has the best Nordschleife...
I'm sure its pretty great, but it would be a tease since I couldn't keep it up here.

Just installed a brake spring mod in my G27 pedals. Going to test it out and mess with the gamma/dead zone until I find something I like.

edit: it's the GTeye specifically. Only just found out the other one (Nixim) apparently is a bit stiffer. Oh well, not a bad deal anyway. Though I am a bit worried that the spring itself came dry despite their literature/instructions describing it as pre-lubricated. I'll soon find out.

edit 2: spring mod is fantastic. Feels like an actual brake now. It has a few mm of light resistance followed by a severe ramping up, which feels much more like a car. Where the stiff resistance at the end brings your foot to a slow stop, instead of a plastic click of the pedal bottoming out. Those few millimeter at the start are much easier to commit to muscle memory because you can feel the spring rate change quite quickly.
That sounds really good. Pretty easy to install too, yea?

My adventures lately have involved trying the F40 again. Its just as shit as ever. I can only hope that the simulation of it is off, because it honestly feels like one of the worst cars ever. A huge disappointment considering how much I love Ferrari and how much I've heard good things about the car. That said, I've also heard from several places that the F50 is actually a nicer drive. Hmmm...

Also, I added those endurance events. I took the McLaren GT3 out for a few laps at Silverstone to prepare myself for the 36 lap race. This was actually *the* car that had me properly fed up with using a controller, so I thought it'd be cool to test how much a wheel had changed things. I got my general braking points and lines down and jumped into the race. It took me 3 restarts before I got through the first couple corners cleanly(fucking AI), but then it was on. The AI still proved a massive headache, though. I was twice knocked off-track during attempts to pass(attempts that should have been perfectly clean) in the first half of the race. I still managed to fight my way up to the 2nd place car by lap 20 where I was again taken out. I ended up spinning out, and then spinning out again trying to get going, putting me back to 4th place. I then became angry and was pushing hard, but my tires were starting to wear out and I started making mistakes of my own. Spun out three times in the last half of the race, yet still was fast enough to get 2nd place in the dying laps(and dealing with lapped traffic).

It was a lot of fun in the end, despite the frustrations. I was actually about 2 seconds a lap faster than the leader on average, but kept hitting trouble.

I'm quite ready for multiplayer, I think. I'm still not as fast I want to be, but I definitely feel so much more alive when I'm racing than when I'm hotlapping. Cant wait. :)

Watevaman

So I think I'm pretty terrible at driving or the AI in AC is just brutally fast. I always watch vids of people who say they have the AI set to 120% or something and I'm sitting here getting my ass handed to me at 98. I was in a McLaren MP4-1C GT3 and in one lap (without any mistakes on my part, I actually went faster this particular lap), the Z4 GT3 in front of me gained 6 seconds of a gap. It was amazing.

My adventures lately have involved trying the F40 again. Its just as shit as ever. I can only hope that the simulation of it is off, because it honestly feels like one of the worst cars ever. A huge disappointment considering how much I love Ferrari and how much I've heard good things about the car. That said, I've also heard from several places that the F50 is actually a nicer drive. Hmmm...
I'm the opposite - I really hope that the simulation isn't off, because this is just how I expect it to drive. I wouldn't like to race it, but to throw around it's so much fun! My favourite car in AC by some margin.

So I think I'm pretty terrible at driving or the AI in AC is just brutally fast. I always watch vids of people who say they have the AI set to 120% or something and I'm sitting here getting my ass handed to me at 98. I was in a McLaren MP4-1C GT3 and in one lap (without any mistakes on my part, I actually went faster this particular lap), the Z4 GT3 in front of me gained 6 seconds of a gap. It was amazing.
I just tried a 6 lap race in the 12C GT3 against 11 Z4 GT3s at 98% at Imola. I started in 6th, and did the best start I could possibly do, to see what would happen. By the 3rd or 4th corner, I was 1st. I was then doing about 1:47.6 laps, and finished about 2.5 seconds ahead of the AI, they didn't trouble me at all.

I then did a second race, but this time I started at roughly the same pace as the AI, staying 6th into the first corner. Took several attempts to get around clean (they are nuts), but when it settled I was in 4th, and keeping up with the car in front, doing similar 1:47.6 laps as before. I managed to get into 3rd after 3 laps, then I pushed harder to try to get 2nd, doing 1:47.3s, and was gaining before I spun out on the last lap. I certainly wouldn't have had time to catch 1st. So clearly, the AI gets stuck behind if you get in front early, and they can do some pretty fast laps if they get some clear air. Even so, there was no sign of the AI pulling away massively - perhaps it varies by track?

Zeth

I'm sure its pretty great, but it would be a tease since I couldn't keep it up here.

That sounds really good. Pretty easy to install too, yea?

Also, I added those endurance events. I took the McLaren GT3 out for a few laps at Silverstone to prepare myself for the 36 lap race. This was actually *the* car that had me properly fed up with using a controller, so I thought it'd be cool to test how much a wheel had changed things. I got my general braking points and lines down and jumped into the race. It took me 3 restarts before I got through the first couple corners cleanly(fucking AI), but then it was on. The AI still proved a massive headache, though. I was twice knocked off-track during attempts to pass(attempts that should have been perfectly clean) in the first half of the race. I still managed to fight my way up to the 2nd place car by lap 20 where I was again taken out. I ended up spinning out, and then spinning out again trying to get going, putting me back to 4th place. I then became angry and was pushing hard, but my tires were starting to wear out and I started making mistakes of my own. Spun out three times in the last half of the race, yet still was fast enough to get 2nd place in the dying laps(and dealing with lapped traffic).

It was a lot of fun in the end, despite the frustrations. I was actually about 2 seconds a lap faster than the leader on average, but kept hitting trouble.

I'm quite ready for multiplayer, I think. I'm still not as fast I want to be, but I definitely feel so much more alive when I'm racing than when I'm hotlapping. Cant wait. :)

Yeah - very easy install.Now I'm thinking of putting an F1-style wheel on the G27, which would probably bring the total investment well over that of a separate superior wheel. But I can't see myself moving to a totally new setup until my living situation changes, so I still might do it. I clamp my wheel to my desk - so it's not ideal, but I do have a separate chair that gives me a decent driving position (at least until I can justify a proper rig).

It's interesting reading everyone's experience with the AI. They added a "selective collisions" option which is somewhat misleading unless you read the patch notes. I think it saves CPU time by turning off collisions between AI who aren't close to you. It'd actually be nice if you could turn off player-collisions just for the hell of it, for situations where the AI behavior is insurmountable.

kudoboi

It's a shame joux plane is pretty unplayable with the latest updates. The car physics will flip out at random parts of the map

Watevaman

I'm the opposite - I really hope that the simulation isn't off, because this is just how I expect it to drive. I wouldn't like to race it, but to throw around it's so much fun! My favourite car in AC by some margin.

I just tried a 6 lap race in the 12C GT3 against 11 Z4 GT3s at 98% at Imola. I started in 6th, and did the best start I could possibly do, to see what would happen. By the 3rd or 4th corner, I was 1st. I was then doing about 1:47.6 laps, and finished about 2.5 seconds ahead of the AI, they didn't trouble me at all.

I then did a second race, but this time I started at roughly the same pace as the AI, staying 6th into the first corner. Took several attempts to get around clean (they are nuts), but when it settled I was in 4th, and keeping up with the car in front, doing similar 1:47.6 laps as before. I managed to get into 3rd after 3 laps, then I pushed harder to try to get 2nd, doing 1:47.3s, and was gaining before I spun out on the last lap. I certainly wouldn't have had time to catch 1st. So clearly, the AI gets stuck behind if you get in front early, and they can do some pretty fast laps if they get some clear air. Even so, there was no sign of the AI pulling away massively - perhaps it varies by track?

Yeah then I'm just gonna say I'm nowhere near as good a driver. Even a 1:47 is way far away from what I was putting out.

Doesn't help that I don't play anywhere near as much as I used to. I've got this full playseat+T500 that gets used like an hour or two a week.

Top Bottom