• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa: Early Access |OT|

Zeth

I find myself getting more excited for these biweekly updates than most game releases lately. Lol.

- Lotus Exige 240
- Ferrari 312T F1
- Revised AI behavior
- Collisions performance improvements
- New sky box with clouds
- Fixed gui issue with spinner
- Improved x360 controller support at low speed
- Fixed gearshift sound on BMW M3 e92 Drift
- Improved rearview mirrors & added more rendering options in the launcher
- Default launcher theme: opponent skins are randomized from all available skins
- Default launcher theme: opponent setups are now set on a per-track basis
- Launcher: control configuration's Xbox360 section revised
- Fixed end race chart disp

edit: Ferrari sounds glorious. And it's so nice to have a really fast car that uses the H-shifter.

Maybe I got lucky, but wow, the AI has taken a huge leap forward. Just did a five lap race with the 312T and not a single car hit me, even when we were three cars wide! Hopefully it wasn't a fluke.

Arc07

Hmmm... something looks a little off.

No Oculus vs. Oculus.

The sky while using Oculus is a little messed up. The lines aren't lined up properly so they give me a massive headache.

btw anyone using VR know how to remove the shift indicator? Moving the mouse on the right side of the screen doesn't bring up any kind of menu like it does normally.

Zeth

The reflections/mirrors seem much better now. Really crisp and not aliased to hell. Still getting a fairly solid 90fps on my 680.

microtubule

A few thoughts about update 0.8

Love the 312T, especially some of the engine sounds. Slam the pedal and watch the needle like it could spin for days.

Updated sky boxes are well done. Tried Imola, Monza and Silverstone at 10:30AM.

The AI doesn't seem rear end ram happy anymore, lots of small improvements with the AI for sure.

I'm not around to play it myself, but these 312T and AI impressions sound great. I just watched Empty Box's vid too. Man, that thing looks fun to drive.

Zeth

I'm in love with the 312T. Super fun.

The AI seems to have been improving quite a lot. I really enjoy 10 lap GT car races - and the AI is much improved there. They rarely rear-end and generally seem to have come quite a way over the past few updates. The formula cars can still be crazy, but I imagine those are the most difficult to nail down. It's nice to see some very obvious progress in that area though.

lem0n

any good settings for controller? the wheel moves so slow

yeah i noticed it with the update. it seems the new update made the wheel turning much slower

I found some settings that work for me, it got rid of the really slow moving wheel. It might not be ideal for you, but adjust from this benchmark, maybe you can get it just right...

Steering speed: 8%
Gamma: 2.7
Filter: .66
Deadzone: .02

I used the new Exige on Nurburgring F1 circuit for those settings.

Seanspeed

Banned
Finally got a chance to mess around with the two new cars.

They are both absolute gems.

The game is so full of amazing cars at this point, I don't think I could name my top 5 if you had a gun pointed at me. Its gonna be difficult to choose what to focus on once there are leagues and everything going.

Three60

Kunos Simulazioni is pleased to announce a new Licensing Agreement for Assetto Corsa with the NISSAN Brand!

In a recent poll we asked to gamers which car Brands they would like to get in Assetto Corsa: a special place in the collective imaginary is occupied by Nissan, also thanks to NISMO®, the
official in-house racing arm of Nissan. The vehicles it creates have one goal in mind: that every time you see a NISMO® badge, you’ll know it’s something extraordinary. The flagship of GTR. That's why we are so proud to announce the addition of the Nissan GT-R Nismo 2014 and Nissan GT-R Nismo GT3 for Assetto Corsa: the Nissan GT-R Nismo 2014 will be included in future as upgrade of the game, while the Nissan GT-R Nismo GT3 will perfectly match the Nurburgring Nordschleife circuit, scheduled to be completed and released for Assetto Corsa on September 2014.
We are pretty confident that this new agreement with NISSAN will satisfy both the street car enthusiasts, and the simracing drivers who, with this addition, will get an amazing line-up for
their GTR races in Assetto Corsa!

4mIZ6gw.jpg

NkdiY5A.jpg

TJP

Another fantastic addition to Assetto Corsa. Hopefully Kunos can licence a few more Japanese cars in the future.

Shaneus

It feels like they're doing something similar like with GSC at this point... they're not going for licensing sheer numbers of cars, more cars that feel and drive differently. Not that Reiza has the licensing luxury/leverage that AC has, but they seem to be going for genuine variety moreso than pCARS IMO (whose approach comes across more as "license as many cars as we can").

Completely different games, obviously... but Kunos just seem more, I dunno, calculated? Either way, it's great news for us :D

Seanspeed

Banned
Spa is coming along nicely:

Facebook album link here

Kunos if you're listening.....would love some Trento Bondone WIP shots as well!
I'm not even worried about it. Every track released so far has been magnificent. I can be patient.

I don't expect any new tracks til 1.0, though. I think there's still quite a few things that need polishing or including before then. And it'll be good for them to have a nice, attractive, updated package for full release.

I'm still continuing my preparations for multiplayer. Did a 10 lap race with the BMW 1M Stage 3 at Mugello:

Not super quick, but its the consistency I'm looking for. Only did 3 laps prior with the car/track combo before jumping into this. Felt really good.

Zeth

I'd be happy if we got a race weekend or some kind of mode partially opened up this week. Can't expect cars and tracks bi-weekly. I've got more than I can handle as it is. I spend most of my time finding interesting combinations to hone in on and improve my times. And the AI races are certainly getting better. The GT cars in particular are much better mannered now even in longer races. Of course the first corner can still get pretty sticky. Good to hear they're looking at gamepad enhancements too.

Sadly I have had to shelve this game for a few months. My new house finally has the HDTV room setup but I can't get my PC to out to my HDTV through my receiver and that's my switchbox for everything (cant' run a cable directly to TV) ...

I'll have to spend some more time with it and hopefully get it going, my wheel setup is wasting away since I can't hook it up to the PS4 and after playing racers on a 60" I can't go back to a 24" monitor lol.

If all else fails I do have the DK2 on order so maybe that will be when I get to play again.

I have been reading the thread religiously but not posting since I haven't had a chance to really play much but needed to vent.

I'm the opposite, losing my HT room in a few weeks and going from a projector to a single 24" monitor. Tempted to get a big TV but I don't really like them. The Rift would come really handy right now.

I wish games would overlay a generic car interior map to their reflection maps used on the inside of cars instead of reflecting the sky and road everywhere.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'd be happy if we got a race weekend or some kind of mode partially opened up this week. Can't expect cars and tracks bi-weekly. I've got more than I can handle as it is. I spend most of my time finding interesting combinations to hone in on and improve my times. And the AI races are certainly getting better. The GT cars in particular are much better mannered now even in longer races. Of course the first corner can still get pretty sticky. Good to hear they're looking at gamepad enhancements too.
I want more tracks(I always want more tracks), but I'm definitely good on cars at the moment, too. Not that more is bad, but I feel the game does need to start getting some of the other stuff right. Damage, race options, pit stops, leaderboards, some sort of organized single-player, qualifying mode, more optimization(especially with CPU usage), real-time telemetry(I need some tire data badly), ability to race other people's ghosts. Lots of things that make it a more complete sim.

Zeth

Race weekend, hell yeah!

- Race Weekend
- AI improvements
- Fuel lap prediction
- Improved mouse with ingame gui
- Gui fixes and improvements
- Animations on secondary elements of the track
- Enable/disable keyboard commands with wheel or gamepad
- Skybox graphical improvements
- Tweaked kerbs volume
- Lotus Evora GTC
- Lotus Evora GX

In the three 5-lap races I've participated in since the update, the AI only hit me once. Huge improvement. So much so that I think I can finally play AC.

Noob driver question here but i'm trying to focus on the BMW 1M S3 at the moment.
And when it oversteers i do not know what to do to manage to regain control of it, most of the time it ends badly in the wall or in the grass.

TJP

Doesn't alt-enter just put apps into full-screen windowed mode?
Apparently pressing this key combination significantly boosts the frame rate - it's supposed to be a 'known' issue with AC; I only read about it today within a Steam forum thread and figured someone here may have tried it and/or could confirm that it works.

Further, it was also mentioned alt-tabbing out then back into AC also has a positive effect on the frame rate too.

Noob driver question here but i'm trying to focus on the BMW 1M S3 at the moment.
And when it oversteers i do not know what to do to manage to regain control of it, most of the time it ends badly in the wall or in the grass.
I can't find a specific question in your post... but if you're looking for general tips on correcting oversteer, it's usually a case of applying a countersteer very quickly, while doing something with your pedals. That 'something' depends on how you got into an oversteer condition in the first place. If you're powering out of a corner and the rear steps out, you have to back the throttle off smoothly (if you lift off completely you can make it worse - be smooth and be ready to reapply throttle to maintain balance). If you're braking and turning into a corner, making the rear light and it starts to come round, you should apply some throttle. This is counter-intuitive at first because it feels like throttle would simply make the rears spin more, but a small amount will help to settle the weight transfer back to the rear to give you more grip. The pedals are all about influencing the weight transfer in these situations, which is why you have to be smooth - a severe pedal input can make things worse.

After you have 'caught' the slide, you then have to return the steering to the centre before the the tyres bite and fling you in the direction of your countersteer. This final 'recovery' phase is the most difficult to perfect, as you are fighting the steering and there is little indication of when to do it. It's better to try to return your countersteer to centre early rather than late. If you're early you'll know, and you might be able to go back to countersteering for a moment longer (this is why you often see people sawing at the wheel during oversteer - you try to feel for when is the best time to stop), whereas if you're late, the car will snap the other way, or fishtail horribly as you try to catch the weight swinging wildly left and right - doesn't look very pretty. There is a way of applying just the right amount of throttle as you 'recover', so that you can unwind the steering in a very smooth fashion without having to force or rush it - but that depends on the car - a longer wheelbase helps for slow, easy recovery phases. The 1M has quite a short wheelbase, so nailing the elegant, slow recovery is difficult - you're better off recovering quickly.

TL;DR - Fast steering, smooth pedals.

markao

Apparently pressing this key combination significantly boosts the frame rate - it's supposed to be a 'known' issue with AC; I only read about it today within a Steam forum thread and figured someone here may have tried it and/or could confirm that it works.

Further, it was also mentioned alt-tabbing out then back into AC also has a positive effect on the frame rate too.
Most of the time when ALT-TAB increases frame rate in games, it is due something in the render engine (often AA/AF) stops working (bug). In some games it brakes AA or AF, so for example, alt-tab--> less AA means increase in performance, no clue if it is something similar with AC.

Have not heard of this one before, but ALT-ENTER as mentioned is full screen(win7/8), so there could be a bug that the game did nor properly render at full screen (window mode) and pressing ALT/ENTER fixes this and helps with performance.

Zeth

Aww yeah.

previewzedd0.jpg

Link to skin

Anyone else addicted to collecting skins like I am? It sure keeps things interesting. I must have hundreds by now.

I've been driving Joux Plane exclusively this past week. Wow, what a course. I've been able to survive a couple runs in the 125 S1, but the X-bow and e30 Drift/S1/DTM are my favorites. Insane fun.

malyce

1'44.294 finally got the WR with the Vallelunga/KTM X-Bow R combo, granted most of the times are old, but that combo is a fucking blast to drive.

I'll probably have a go at that Monza/Evora combo if i can find some time.

Top Bottom