• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa: Early Access |OT|

p3tran

Banned
makes sense to keep some of the very special things for final release imo.
that way, even guys who are in since the very first day, they will still have stuffs to be excited upon formal release 8)

Sony and Fanatec are still completely silent months after launch regarding wheel support so the PS4 news is non-news for me. I won't buy a sim racer for that system until I see wheel support.

The only game that could do that would be GT7, I may upgrade then.

Zeth

This fictional Klein Curaçao circuit is really great. 3+ min lap and it takes quite some time to learn properly. Loving it. Also the conversion guy seems like he's continuing to release things. Willow Springs is pretty solid if a bit bare.

MP tomorrow? Exciting! I have zero MP experience in sims though, kind of intimidated. That and I'll probably have the worst connection since I'm one of the half dozen people from the US who play AC, LOL.

Spookie

Here is hoping servers allows 25 mins of racing, 15 mins of practice, 10 of qualifying and 5 of warm up on a solid hourly rotation. I really find league racing not fitting to how I play my sim racers.

paskowitz

Good ol' Fanatec eh...

1. Beta unit (ok I can accept that)
2. Motor failure
3. Motor failure
4. Motor failure
5. Motor and electrical failure
6. Repair man did not fix previous issue

...so that's 6 not 7. I lost count apparently. All were within a year of each other. The longest I have had a working unit is 8 months. All though I should point out I have been rather unlucky. Not everyone gets it as bad as I do.

Good news is I have been able to see Fanatec customer service improve over the years. However, Like many others I do not understand why they don't get a different motor supplier and give customers the option to install them themselves. It would save both consumers and Fanatec a lot of time and money.

Kazdane

Compared to pCars, how different is AC? I mean, I love the handling of the cars in pCars, however I can't stand rFactor 2. Anyone? (and please, by no means I want to turn this into a "sim" vs "arcade" fight, so please don't go down that path, I implore you).

Arucardo

Compared to pCars, how different is AC? I mean, I love the handling of the cars in pCars, however I can't stand rFactor 2. Anyone? (and please, by no means I want to turn this into a "sim" vs "arcade" fight, so please don't go down that path, I implore you).

Whoa, not something I've heard before :p . rF2 is sublime in my opinion.

I'd have to test both back to back to give a better assessment but if you really don't like rF2 then you probably won't like AC either, but I think AC is slightly easier to drive in general compared to rF2, though there's a few cars in it now that are quite a handful especially when using the tuned (stage1, stage 3, etc) versions.

I would also say AC has more similarities with rFactor 2 than PCARS in terms of handling and feedback, with rFactor 2 being the most intuitive, and PCARS being the least.

Kazdane

Whoa, not something I've heard before :p . rF2 is sublime in my opinion.

I'd have to test both back to back to give a better assessment but if you really don't like rF2 then you probably won't like AC either, but I think AC is slightly easier to drive in general compared to rF2, though there's a few cars in it now that are quite a handful especially when using the tuned (stage1, stage 3, etc) versions.

Maybe it's just that my experience with the Formula 1 cars I found for rF2 was just awful (the GP2 car was much better though, that's true, but in general the game had that feeling of driving over ice too often)

Maybe it's just that my experience with the Formula 1 cars I found for rF2 was just awful (the GP2 car was much better though, that's true, but in general the game had that feeling of driving over ice too often)

That's a common criticism of these sims but how do you represent grip? At times I don't feel I have any until it's gone.

Do we need better audio or visual cues (as in motion effects) or is it all in the force feedback?

Kazdane

That's a common criticism of these sims but how do you represent grip? At times I don't feel I have any until it's gone.

Do we need better audio or visual cues (as in motion effects) or is it all in the force feedback?

It's a bit of everything imo. In pCars you can tell why the F1 is losing control, and you can also understand why you're spinning madly without TC. In RF2, though, just accelerating in the straight out of turn 2 at sepang the F1 can loose the rear. In a straight, at 200km/h (which is high enough to actually keep the car in place through aero).

That's the thing that really drives me crazy. For some reason most of these sims associate no grip with sliding all over the place, yet professional racing drivers will tell you that they actually love to push the car so hard that they cause it to slide through corners, which shows that these cars IRL don't tend to slide, unless you really force them to (and certainly not coming out of a corner, unless you just pretend to go 100% on the throttle when the car is still recovering)

That's the thing that really drives me crazy. For some reason most of these sims associate no grip with sliding all over the place, yet professional racing drivers will tell you that they actually love to push the car so hard that they cause it to slide through corners, which shows that these cars IRL don't tend to slide, unless you really force them to (and certainly not coming out of a corner, unless you just pretend to go 100% on the throttle when the car is still recovering)

The problem is you're probably overdriving the car within the sim but aren't receiving enough feedback to clue you in to that fact until it's too late. Any car "tends" to slide IRL if you overdrive it, and exiting corners is where this is most prone to happen.

For what it's worth, real tires produce the most traction while slipping, albeit slightly, under every possible load--braking, accelerating, and cornering. The fastest drivers will be sliding through practically every high-speed corner, however subtly.

I agree with Funky, there are so many variables which determine when you can or cannot go flat out, and when a car slides or doesn't slide. It's easier to feel when a real car is losing grip at the rear than in a sim. As such, professional drivers, who are able to reduce the feeling of self-preservation more than the Average Joe, have the confidence to push because they become 'one' with the car. They are bolted so tightly to the chassis - they can feel everything directly through their body. The cues we get from the steering column, and the visual and aural feedback are far less useful than this, yet we rely on them entirely to react to grip loss in a sim. When people spin out in sims, it is not because they are too hard, but because they are unable to interpret the cues given to them. The more you practice and understand the limitations of sims, the more you become 'one' with the cars too, and then you are able push like the pros.

This is also why I don't take pro drivers' assessments/endorsements of sims as gospel. I often hear of pro drivers saying that sims are too hard or wrong, when they are just as prone to misjudging the sim version of what they are familiar with. They might even be more likely to get it wrong, as they are so convinced of what they felt in the real car is not in the sim due to the massive reduction in feedback.

wow that looks like real fun. will try it later

It's pretty fun with the E30 in drift trim--I just wish there were more high-speed corners for 3rd-gear blasts than the scant few sprinkled about; same goes for linkable sections. For the most part it's switchback after switchback, some of the later ones being so awkwardly tight that you'd wish for a taller 1st gear.

I'm going to throw some more cars around it now and see if I can't arrive at a better match.

Edit: Z4 in drift trim is decent, Xbow is decent (would be better with street tires), but the E30 seems to be the best-suited car for it at the moment.

Kazdane

The problem is you're probably overdriving the car within the sim but aren't receiving enough feedback to clue you in to that fact until it's too late. Any car "tends" to slide IRL if you overdrive it, and exiting corners is where this is most prone to happen.

For what it's worth, real tires produce the most traction while slipping, albeit slightly, under every possible load--braking, accelerating, and cornering. The fastest drivers will be sliding through practically every high-speed corner, however subtly.

Yeah, you and Pazuzu may be on to something, I guess my issue might be that the only game where I feel comfortable is actually pCars because I haven't put as much time in the others.

How many tracks are out there? From what I've seen, anyone can create content for AC? Is that right? (That's a bonus for me over pCars, for instance, I love discovering new race tracks I've never heard of).

kudoboi

still cannot figure out why the car steers further inward when doing a deep turn before going straight. this doesn't occur in any other game ive played and wasn't there a few months ago too

malyce

Hot lapping is so satisfying when you manage to string a good flying lap together, but when you keep fucking up great laps it makes you want to start breaking shit. Hopefully we get MP tomorrow so I won't have to end up breaking my monitor.

still cannot figure out why the car steers further inward when doing a deep turn before going straight. this doesn't occur in any other game ive played and wasn't there a few months ago too
I'm still trying to figure out what you're talking about in this and your previous post. Can you explain in more detail the problem you're having? What type of wheel/controller are you using?

psn

My first thought when the AC thread has new posts: They have released the multiplayer update.

Sadly it's still unavailable unavailable. I have no friends in the PCars Alpha so I cant wait for AC MP :)

TJP

And with the release of the multiplayer, let's hope the endless bitching on FB and the Steam forums ends or ceases for a while.

Ferrari wins two awards for "Development tool of the year" which features the Assetto Corsa graphics . Congrats to Kunos!
10329280_874590722567247_580315032431410003_n.jpg

PriitV

Is there a changelog? I'm away from my computer at the moment and was curious what other functionality has been added/tweaked.
Corsa Early Access - Build 0.9 available now!

First of all, thank you for your patience and your kind support about the delay occured with the last release of Assetto Corsa 0.9.
The unexpected issue (a random black screen occured when playing single-player races) that caused the delay of the release on May 2nd, has been finally recognized and fixed.
Meanwhile, the guys involved with the multiplayer mode took advantage of this delay to improve the netcode and the communication with the servers, focusing on the core networking systems and stripping it from most of its advanced features.

Multiplayer mode is such a feature that needs massive tests that can't be brought to completion only by a private betatesting team. Now that the basic functions have been completed and are available for public testing, we are confident that our devteam will be able to monitor the online activities with the aim to fix unforeseen bugs and improve the online experience, as well adding all the big and small features that will make AC multiplayer a great online experience. Starting from the basics and improving step by step is part of the Early Access program.

For your consideration, please note that the multiplayer feature that will be released is still in ALPHA phase: using the support forum to report any issue you might encounter will help our devteam to improve the netcode and its related features.

Here's following the list of features and known issues:

Working Features:
- Booking system
- Pre-booked clients from server admins
- Password protected server for booking
- Password saving for different servers
- Multi class races
- Race weekend (practice,qualifying,race) with configurable duration and number of laps
- Select penalty system or not.
- Track cycling
- Loop mode
- Maximum client limit, determined by circuit pit boxes
- Clients may re-join at any session if booked.
- Dedicated server available.
- 10 public official servers

Known Issues - Please check and report unknown issues at our official support forums http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum
- Official server are set to 15 clients and we will gradually increase the clients number with testing. Dedicated server is not limited.
- Wheels remain always connected on the ground, even if cars flies, jumps of flips
- Steering wheels angles might be exaggerated, or inverted
- Extended characters in player names, are not supported yet
- Graphical active aero animations do not work on multiplayer clients yet
- Opponents skidmarks are not visible yet
- Opponents windshield are not visible in player’s mirrors yet
- Opponents suspension movements are vertical, wheels might compenetrate cars body on some occasions
- "Multiplayer options” option from the menu does not work yet (containing voting for skip session, restart servers, kick users, chats etc)
- Switching between sessions dirt on the car doesn’t disappear
- race session ends some seconds after the leader finishes the race
:)

Zeth

Update broke the modded tracks? Fuck, I'd rather have them than the MP right now. Hope something is worked out soon.

Top Bottom