• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astral Chain |OT| Anime, anime, ANIME COPS!

MagnesG

Banned
Good news from the UK, but not quite so amazing in Japan in its first week:

There's also shortage issues in Japan plus the voucher thing. Game is hiked about $70 there so it's ridiculous not to buy it using vouchers. Plus digital sales not included obviously.

Lol I try hard to be positive about this.

Ok this clinched the deal. Buying the game and female main.
rQsmTzo.png

I need help!!! So, I'm in File 9 and I went to the basketball court where a kid is missing their friend. I use the legion to follow the chimera path to a gate. Once I enter the gate, the area doesn't have any enemies nor the child, it's just this big island with nothing there. Am I missing something???

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Why is this not getting as much fuss as Nier:Automata? Almost same vibes and everything. Is it because it’s a Switch exclusive?
I hate to see this gets overlooked like Wonderful 101 did, this game has such unique and fun combat system.

Unfortunately there are too many people and even gaming journalists only think of Nintendo systems nothing more than Zelda and Mario machine and won’t bother with nothing else. Thats why games like Pandora’s Tower and W101 and MadWorld gets overlooked.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Liking the game but there's too many gimmicky nonsense going on in the later files, specially 8. If you like going for S+, be prepared to get very annoyed by the non combat stuff you get graded for.

Verdanth

This is the forth time in a short time that Nintendo manages to "save me" from one of those phases that Im simply tired of playing games that are core mechanically identical.

Odyssey completely blown my mind, Breath of the Wild, while not a huge fan, felt completely different and unique from what I played in a very long time, Xenoblade 2, while with its cliche story, had an amazingly good battle system and now this.

Astral chain is so good, and I like that the game kind of resembles the vibe of one of my favourite animes of all time - psycho-pass.

Also it starts simple but damn, when you start unlocking things its damn good.

Im mainly a PS fanboy, got no problem assuming that, but damn, nintendo is right there when Im in need of gaming salvation.

Last edited:

Sakura

Haven't had time to play as much as I'd like. So far it is OK, but man I hate the fucking chain-jump nonsense or whatever you call it. Keep thinking I can make a jump only to have the player character apparently hit something so he doesn't make it. Think it would be a lot better if the chain went red or something if you can't make the jump.

Ulysses 31

Finished it after 26h on pt standard doing all the side stuff I could find and still missed plenty of cases. >.>

Final boss is something else and showed me what the game over screen looks like. Took several tries and playing it more safe. >.>

I really want to play this game, and Daemon X Machina, but in my family we have this awful rule that we don't buy shit when birthdays are rolling around. Hopefully I get it for my birthday because every time I see another video or screenshot I like it even more.

Just finished it today. 21 hrs fothe 11 files, still got file 12 to clean up. Either way it was an awesome ride and for a Platinum game. a much more forgiving slasher. The Switch truly got a proper exclusive and this is me saying as a PS4 main guy.

Havoc2049

I went out to go buy a copy of this game...Wal-mart first, no copies...Gamestop next...no copies...Target...no copies. Fuck these stores not getting more than 1 copy of anything that isn't made by a western dev.
I just bought a physical copy of Astral Chain yesterday. Woot! I had a hard time tracking down a physical copy. There is an out of the way GameStop on the other side of town, tucked away in a horrible location that can’t be seen from the road. I bought the second to last copy and the manager said they couldn’t even order a restock.

Now I just have to wait for the release of the Switch Lite, so I can play it.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I just bought a physical copy of Astral Chain yesterday. Woot! I had a hard time tracking down a physical copy. There is an out of the way GameStop on the other side of town, tucked away in a horrible location that can’t be seen from the road. I bought the second to last copy and the manager said they couldn’t even order a restock.

Now I just have to wait for the release of the Switch Lite, so I can play it.
I suggest you play this on big screen with pro controller. Action games like this are much better with pro controller.

Havoc2049

I suggest you play this on big screen with pro controller. Action games like this are much better with pro controller.
Good lord man, I haven’t even picked up my new hardware and you are already asking me to buy new hardware! :messenger_tears_of_joy: j/k

The control layout on the new Lite looks like it will be pretty solid. I’ll just go that route for now, along with a nice pair of headphones.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I hate to see this gets overlooked like Wonderful 101 did, this game has such unique and fun combat system.

Unfortunately there are too many people and even gaming journalists only think of Nintendo systems nothing more than Zelda and Mario machine and won’t bother with nothing else. Thats why games like Pandora’s Tower and W101 and MadWorld gets overlooked.

Man I really hope we get that W101 port, I skipped the Wii U so i missed that game and I am sad I did

Alright, finished the game earlier today. Really good, 7-8/10 probably my favourite platinum work. Few problems such as annoying camera sometimes being an actual pain, some annoying platforming sections that could've been way better if they have a jump button.

Combat was a little repetitive and the game doesn't really intice you to try much different, although other than that the combat is fantastic what with being able to fight 3 enemies around the map at once, actually bonkers.

Characters could've been written better, or you know... written. I would've enjoyed the playable character to have dialogue and a voice but playing as a mute was boring.

Overall, yeah great game, great music and hot damn this is an awesome game. PICK THIS UP PEOPLE, YOU ARE MISSING OUT!!!

Last edited:

Danjin44

Alright, finished the game earlier today. Really good, 7-8/10 probably my favourite platinum work. Few problems such as annoying camera sometimes being an actual pain, some annoying platforming sections that could've been way better if they have a jump button.

Combat was a little repetitive and the game doesn't really intice you to try much different, although other than that the combat is fantastic what with being able to fight 3 enemies around the map at once, actually bonkers.

Characters could've been written better, or you know... written. I would've enjoyed the playable character to have dialogue and a voice but playing as a mute was boring.

Overall, yeah great game, great music and hot damn this is an awesome game. PICK THIS UP PEOPLE, YOU ARE MISSING OUT!!!
I actually I don't agree with the combat being "repetitive" once I master the perfect call and able break chain one my Legion to summon another Legion on the field made the combat super addictive to me and also what I didn't know until half way through, this game also has dodge offset like Bayonetta.

Last edited:
I actually I don't agree with the combat being "repetitive" once I master the perfect call and able break chain one my Legion to summon another Legion on the field made the combat super addictive to me and also what I didn't know until half way through, this game also has dodge offset like Bayonetta.
When I say repetitive I mean how I just kept doing the same thing and not being able to iterate on it, it goes 'summon sword legion, send him off, hit rush, summon another legion, send him off, pull towards, wail on the enemy, time the syncs.'

It's fun combat but other than movement and range distance on moves, none of the moves feel all that different and start to blend together. Still great combat though, I love how all the legions effectively make use of every gameplay style platinum games has every worked with, it's fantastic.

Beast Legion best legion btw. Fight me.

Verdanth

Why does the game seem super customizable in terms of cosmetics for the main character but I barely have none?

Still on file 6 thought.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Why does the game seem super customizable in terms of cosmetics for the main character but I barely have none?

Still on file 6 thought.
I found some hats and glasses from exploring, especially tricky place you can only get with your Legion.

Verdanth

I found some hats and glasses from exploring, especially tricky place you can only get with your Legion.

So far only a chest piece, two pairs of glasses, a crow hat, gas mask and a earing.

Also, does anybody remember taking pictures of enemies? Ahah, I always forget to do it before battle.

D

Deleted member 757921

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any point in completing Act 12? There’s this one case that aggravates me, I unlocked even more cases, and I notice that I can’t do casual mode in that Act. I want to know if there’s any story elements I would miss. I like this game a lot but I’m no action games aficionado and I don’t care enough to get good.

Story, lore, setting, world building, RPG elements, characters, and how much it gets me thinking of the Shin Megami Tensei series and sub series is why I like this game a lot. (Preemptive defense against “if you don’t like action games why bother” questions)

highrider

Banned

Still on file 6 thought.

If you go in your orders menu you’ll see that you’ve probably already unlocked a few costumes but you have to physically go in the menu and open the ones with icons that you’ve completed. You’ll see all the other types of things that unlock stuff in the orders, also complete all of the legion training bits with Lappy. It’s kind of dumb the way the game isn’t more clear about it. I had to go on YouTube to figure it out.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Is there any point in completing Act 12? There’s this one case that aggravates me, I unlocked even more cases, and I notice that I can’t do casual mode in that Act. I want to know if there’s any story elements I would miss. I like this game a lot but I’m no action games aficionado and I don’t care enough to get good.

Story, lore, setting, world building, RPG elements, characters, and how much it gets me thinking of the Shin Megami Tensei series and sub series is why I like this game a lot. (Preemptive defense against “if you don’t like action games why bother” questions)
There is a secret boss as far as i know.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I’m on file 07. I wish the story was a bit better. The combat is really well done, although I find it difficult to control two characters at some times. The art style and music are top notch.

I also don’t like the silent protagonist. I wish games would stop doing that.

Last edited:

Sakura

Finished the game last night.
The story is kind of rubbish. The game features lots of characters that seem unique, but doesn't really do anything with them. I think the game would've been better if it was more focused on solving crimes, police drama, and interacting with other characters.
The gameplay is OK, but I didn't care for the platforming. And all the segments where you go to the Astral world were super boring, and I think the game would've been better without them.
The choice to have a silent protagonist was absolutely bonkers. Silent protagonists are fine when they are done properly. You need to allow them to talk through dialogue options and stuff. Instead the game has lots of conversations that are just strange because the protagonist doesn't participate at all. It's all the more strange when the sibling you didn't choose has a name and talks.

Danjin44

Currently both Astral Chain and Wonderful 101 are favourite combat system in all PlatinumGames. I really, really loved the combat in Astral Chain. At first it was hard to get used to controlling both the character and your Legion but man, once the combat clicks it became absolute joy. Also unlike most people I didn’t much issue with platforming other than at beginning.

Katsura

Finished it and loved it. The story is classic anime, no problem there. I love the investigations at the start of each file. The combat is something else. Feels much more accessible than something like Bayonetta, which i only played for a few hours before dropping. Yet there is a lot of depth once you unlock more skills and skill slots. Didn't hate the platforming and it actually helped me become more aware of chain jump in combat. The stealth sections can fuck right off though. Also, while i found all mini bosses etc fun, the last boss was tedious but i'm struggling to remember a game with an end boss i actually enjoyed so maybe it's just me

I hear the post game gets extremely hard so i'm going back to my old files to grab anything i missed. All in all, this is an amazing game that took me completely by surprise. I wasn't a fan of Platinum games before this but after finishing it, i actually bought Nier Automata on sale

Last edited:

Animagic

Banned

Still on file 6 thought.

You have to go in your menu and accept rewards for completed orders

Some of those rewards might be cosmetics

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
I just found out today that you can play Astral Chain in co-op with the second player acting as the Legion.

It's odd this wasn't made more of. Perhaps because the Legion isn't always available?

Smasher89

Starting to get semi deep on file 12 platinum standard, so many fights that seems really hard but is doable with better play and strategy, wonder what the final 5 will be like, I prob have 9 left unless more unlocks :)
Anyone learned what the condition is to be able to drag a enemy with the arm legion? Drag into exploding mines to a few launchers (that sometimes works and sometimes doesnt) into other stuff os satisfying and still tricky to grasp optimal punishes!

I really fucked up picking a dude as my MC didn't I. :/

Is there a way to change back into the woman?

Last edited:
Top Bottom