• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro Bot |OT| Robot in disguises

MacReady13

I think Astro Bot is better than Super Mario Odyssey
I adore Astro bot. Got the platinum for it but in my opinion, it isn't a better game than ANY of the 3d Mario platformers. I'd even say the VR astro bot game is better than this new Astro bot game! Still, it's probably a contender for game of the year so far it's that good!

kevm3

to be honest if this is true i think they should have paid, unless squenix was demanding unreasonable amounts of money.
That wouldn't be fair to all of the other companies. If they paid Square, they would have had to pay several other companies.

Project EVE

Neo Member
Just finished the 2nd world(the tentacle one) and not really feeling it, I would rather replay Mario 64 or Mario Sunshine at this point.

Question: are the rest of the 3 worlds(assuming there are 3 more) better in terms of fun and originality and challenge? Should I keep going? Don't care for the PlayStation cameo stuff. It seems too much stuff were taken straight out from Mario 64 and Sunshine. So I wonder if this game is actually a tribute to Mario?

I was just punching everything in front of me when I got that powerup, or that climbing grove powerup that was slow and unresponsive. Catching the monkey stage wasn't that fun. Game and bosses are too easy. The optional stages were a bit harder but not more fun. Overall I'm okay with the game but not in love with it.

Maybe there is something better later on? In the first 2 worlds at least I don't have that kind of satisfying/fun/achievement feeling that I got from Mario 3D games.

BlackTron

I'm only on the second galaxy and the small optional levels are already kicking my butt. I predict a long and arduous 100%.

This is the first comment that really made me feel my lack of this game.

I don't like how Mario stacks all the hard levels at the end after you beat the game. Yeah they're both optional but maybe I don't wanna beat a whole game just to get a challenge ya know.

Just finished the 2nd world(the tentacle one) and not really feeling it, I would rather replay Mario 64 or Mario Sunshine at this point.
I enjoyed this game and recommend it to everyone. However, I agree with you. I will likely never play this game again. I would gladly play Mario Galaxy (1 or 2) anytime and occasionally play Mario 64 on an original N64. Hell, I am more likely to play Playroom again.

Ogbert

Gold Member

Question: are the rest of the 3 worlds(assuming there are 3 more) better in terms of fun and originality and challenge? Should I keep going? Don't care for the PlayStation cameo stuff. It seems too much stuff were taken straight out from Mario 64 and Sunshine. So I wonder if this game is actually a tribute to Mario?

I was just punching everything in front of me when I got that powerup, or that climbing grove powerup that was slow and unresponsive. Catching the monkey stage wasn't that fun. Game and bosses are too easy. The optional stages were a bit harder but not more fun. Overall I'm okay with the game but not in love with it.

Maybe there is something better later on? In the first 2 worlds at least I don't have that kind of satisfying/fun/achievement feeling that I got from Mario 3D games.
The game doesn’t really change, as such. But there are lots of beautiful worlds, brilliant set pieces and fun levels. Give it a full play through.

The game isn’t especially difficult. A few of the challenge levels take a few attempts, but they’re very short, so you can get most in a matter of minutes. It’s not close to Mario post-game difficulty.

ElRenoRaven

As ohers have said it's pretty much the same the whole game. This game just may not be your cup of tea. Nothing wrong with that.

kevboard

the best parts of the game are the bosses, finding secrets and some of the gimmick levels like the shrinking one.
it's more like a chill platfomer with lots of fanservice, just like Astro's Playroom but bigger.
sadly IMO the items aren't varied enough and the best ones are underutilized. there's only a single shrinking level for example. which makes the simplicity of the core mechanics stand out more than in Astro's Playroom.

I think it does get better in the later worlds, but the core design doesn't change, and there's only a handful of powerups total

if you are looking for a platfomer like Mario 64 or Odyssey, with lots of player expression, depth etc. this will be disappointing throughout.
there are challenging sidemission levels, but as a whole the game is clearly designed for a more low skill audience. it is on the same level of platforming depth as Lego Star Wars 1 or 2

Last edited:

Dafegamer

That wouldn't be fair to all of the other companies. If they paid Square, they would have had to pay several other companies.
It's definitely better than Sunshine and 64 tho(don't pitchfork me, influential but has been surpassed by many things as actual games)
The higher tiers is definitely debatable tho

Dafegamer

Do you only play original games? What if tell you that Super Mario 64 wasn't the actual first console 3D Platformer, does it make it a worse game by that logic? 👀

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Just wrapped up with the main game and got up to around 220 bots. There's still a bunch of stuff left to do. Astro Bot has been a joyous experience. Definitely one of the best games of the year.

farmerboy

I've rescued 295 bots. 100% all constellations except the last two, the chameleon and the bird. The last 5 bots are one each in those insane "void" levels, one square and four X. I haven't even tried any X levels yet, that last square level is beyond me.
(The one where you have to use the rubber duck pick-up to squirt water on lava to cross it and to defeat fire enemies.)
After probably 20 attempts and not even getting halfway through it, I pretty much resigned to the notion that I will not be rescuing all 300 bots. Sorry, little buddies. Suck my dick, Team Asobi.

That level was a bitch. Probably the toughest of the lot. It's doable, keep at it

Skifi28

The circle levels were much easier than the triangle ones, but I'm not hopeful for what's next.

Last edited:

skit_data

Angry Office GIF

skit_data

"To The Beat" level is kicking my ass. Even worse than the duck level. And then I gotta do that? Yikes

They make you earn this plat
Yeah those were probably the hardest ones. The earlier challenge levels are at least short but this last one goes on forever. But, I love this tbh despite the pain it brings xD

Edit: It feels like the hardest part about the challenge levels (the last one in particular) is keeping up Astros "momentum" all the way through. At times it feels like he's bumping in to some invisible hitboxes on the ground that cancels the spin charge and affects forward momentum. It's wierd, feels a bit unfair at times.

Last edited:

Skifi28

The last challenge level in Sackboy costed me the platinum and I get deja vu after seeing that video of the last level here.....well, shit.

Hookshot

Gold Member
If you replaced astrobot with mario and all the enemies with goombas and turtles it could easily be a direct sequel to the mario galaxy games. It's wild how similar it is or at least that level in particular.
Well it's got the hover from Mario Sunshine to make it easier than Galaxy but it does look very samey.

ap_puff

It was the triangle birds that had me like that. I eventually found it easier to maintain momentum by pivoting around the center rather than jumping through the triangle.
I don't think you're supposed to jump through the triangles

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I'm just being stubborn. I need get that gold flag on stage or I can't move on.

It helps that stages are not very long, I can easily replay a stage fast and get the bots and puzzles pieces I missed.
I do the same. I try to get everything in one go too. What I found out if you have everything discovered, bits and puzzles going into the dimension portal at the end marks the level as complete, if you reached the level end platform prior but didn’t jump on it. That’s what I try to do.

Fess

I'm only on the second galaxy and the small optional levels are already kicking my butt. I predict a long and arduous 100%.
Take your time because I don't want to be last.
I deliberately take it slow, I don’t see any replayability in this so I drag it out as long as possible, only playing it while the kids are watching and a couple hours per week.
Second galaxy, this or Erdtree will be my GOTY going by how I feel right now.
The triangle challenge levels were old-school brutal, no auto save here, start from the beginning and play until you actually know the level in great detail. Awesome 👌

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Indeed properly taking my time with this game, I'm not in any rush to finish it there isn't anything else I'm desperate to move on to.

I've just unlocked the third galaxy.

Paasei

Finally got to play this game as it was one of my birthday presents today. Just completed the first world and having a blast.

jm89

The circle levels were much easier than the triangle ones, but I'm not hopeful for what's next.
Circle, triangle and square levels were challenging, but the x levels were another ballgame kicked my ass.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Well I am here to express my absolute delight but ultimate disappointment in astro bot.

A brilliant game, but with a few slight issues that mark it from the level of an incredible Mario 3D platformed. And one major issue that actually really soured my entire experience.

The platforming is great, the game is so close to perfection but it just falls short. I would like astro to have more moves available. The game is just slightly too simple for my liking and I didn't struggle with platinuming the game at all.

Levels didn't take many attempts to succeed and I would have loved some opportunities to go crazy with astros potential move set. Triple jumps etc.

Also, my absolute favourite level was in the second world and I can not believe they didn't revisit the shrinking in an additional level. It was jaw dropping good. Some brilliant levels after this but nothing came close in the remaining 3 galaxies imo. Saying that, I adore the little tungston/metal ball design where it turns into bullet proof metroid.

So, loved the game. Was so close in taking over like a dragon as my game of the year, then they fucked it.

Edit. Wrote in initial anger.

Buy the game. Love it and enjoy it but be prepared to be triggered. If you think similarly to me.

What do you think gaf? Do you not feel there is literally hundred of incredible gaming characters that DESERVED to to be the final homage to such an incredible 30 years of gaming?

Last edited:

skit_data

I still can't get through the "Too the beat" level. Trying to get frustrated and not rage quit and the game on ebay.
I took a week of playing the game because it started to feel more like an obligation than fun due to that single level being the only thing left for the platinum trophy.

Yesterday I platinumed the game and now life suddenly feels a bit emptier xD It's just rare to come across games that manages to scratch that platformer itch while being so damn nostalgic at the same time.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I took a week of playing the game because it started to feel more like an obligation than fun due to that single level being the only thing left for the platinum trophy.

Yesterday I platinumed the game and now life suddenly feels a bit emptier xD It's just rare to come across games that manages to scratch that platformer itch while being so damn nostalgic at the same time.

I was awake at 2am this morning thinking about how the hell do I get through these last two levels. lol......suffice to say that I don't think a game has gotten into my head like Astro Bot has in quite some time.

But shit....now I gotta get the Plat. I mean.....if your sorry ass can do it.....

You Got It Reaction GIF by BrownSugarApp

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Completed the base game and now working on the extra levels to 100% the game. Ending credits are a blast to play as well don’t skip it!!

Some of these leveled are a complete nightmare to complete! So far I’ve made it past all of them except one in the last stage but I’ll go back to it after I finish the extra galaxy!

Best original IP from Sony this year!! And fills a massive genre gap

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I still can't get through the "Too the beat" level. Trying to get frustrated and not rage quit and the game on ebay.

That western style theme for the crash site is fantastic. My favorite music in the game.
Holy hell man that the same level I’m stuck at finished all the others!! Let me know if you figure it out I had to take a break as well!!

Holy hell man that the same level I’m stuck at finished all the others!! Let me know if you figure it out I had to take a break as well!!
That was tough one for me, probably took longer than splash sprint; had to have breaks in between goes and then go back. Flew though all over x voids no issue though.

Then master challenge, my god one slight error and you are fucked. Definitely takes time to get patterns to clear sections.

skit_data

I was awake at 2am this morning thinking about how the hell do I get through these last two levels. lol......suffice to say that I don't think a game has gotten into my head like Astro Bot has in quite some time.

But shit....now I gotta get the Plat. I mean.....if your sorry ass can do it.....

You Got It Reaction GIF by BrownSugarApp
I uploaded my last, succesful attempt too:

There is definitely a sort of flow/rythm to these bonus levels, keeping pace with it definitely makes the obstacles more predicatble in terms of timing.
But there is also a slight randomness at times with specific enemy behaviour that can really throw you off (for example there's a yellow spikey on the second floor of the "glass section" of that last level that once every 10 attempt decides to just stand around with his spikes out rather than chase you).

Ah, fuck I've probably analyzed this shit too much by now. I bet they will go even crazier in the DLC. Really looking forward to it... although thoughts go out to my poor neighboors who will have to hear the muffled sound of that challenge level theme song on repeat at 1am
What We Do In The Shadows Comedy GIF by Wellington Paranormal

Last edited:

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Well I am here to express my absolute delight but ultimate disappointment in astro bot.

A brilliant game, but with a few slight issues that mark it from the level of an incredible Mario 3D platformed. And one major issue that actually really soured my entire experience.

The platforming is great, the game is so close to perfection but it just falls short. I would like astro to have more moves available. The game is just slightly too simple for my liking and I didn't struggle with platinuming the game at all.

Levels didn't take many attempts to succeed and I would have loved some opportunities to go crazy with astros potential move set. Triple jumps etc.

Also, my absolute favourite level was in the second world and I can not believe they didn't revisit the shrinking in an additional level. It was jaw dropping good. Some brilliant levels after this but nothing came close in the remaining 3 galaxies imo. Saying that, I adore the little tungston/metal ball design where it turns into bullet proof metroid.

So, loved the game. Was so close in taking over like a dragon as my game of the year, then they fucked it.

How in the actual fuck did they have Aloy and Horizon as the last MAIN world??

Hobestly, i am so fucking fed up with this boring piece of shit franchise and Sonys attempt to force feed it into our throats has gone too far. Aloy is terrible, the game is boring...they didn't even have characters anyone really knows or lives as the little astro bots...they had to use some grazing stag thing....and this gets to be the final ultimate Sony franchise special for Astro Bot and the 30th anniversary. There are so many other franchises that deserved that spot in the game and honestly, its inclusion actively tarnished the game for me. 30 years of celebration for that at the end just genuinely ruined my experience.

I detest Horizon even more now because of it. Fuck that game. Fuck the character and thanks for spoiling what would have been my game of the year.

Straight up offensive to fans of playstation since the ps1

Rant over. Buy the game. Love it and enjoy it but be prepared to be triggered. If you think similarly to me.

What do you think gaf? Do you not feel there is literally hundred of incredible gaming characters that DESERVED to to be the final homage to such an incredible 30 years of gaming?

Yeah, I didnt like that Horizon got all that shine but Herman Hulst is the big boss so what did you expect

Topher

Gold Member
I uploaded my last, succesful attempt too:

There is definitely a sort of flow/rythm to these bonus levels, keeping pace with it definitely makes the obstacles more predicatble in terms of timing.
But there is also a slight randomness at times with specific enemy behaviour that can really throw you off (for example there's a yellow spikey on the second floor of the "glass section" of that last level that once every 10 attempt decides to just stand around with his spikes out rather than chase you).

Ah, fuck I've probably analyzed this shit too much by now. I bet they will go even crazier in the DLC. Really looking forward to it... although thoughts go out to my poor neighboors who will have to hear the muffled sound of that challenge level theme song on repeat at 1am
What We Do In The Shadows Comedy GIF by Wellington Paranormal

I've just beat "to the beat". Going to do some clean up trophies and then hit the master level

Top Bottom