• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro Bot |OT| Robot in disguises

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Currently only at 3.7% acquisition rate for the trophy, I've been playing non-stop lol:

pV7eLTO.jpeg

First two words 100% clear plus all the secret levels up until this point, progress tracker says I'm only at 33%, praise the Bot!

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Alright, I need some sleep but let me just say this, Astrobot is in the conversation for greatest 3D platformer of all-time, yes, it is that good (and I've played them all). While it may be on the easier side (the "sacred symbols" levels are where you'll get more of a challenge) the audio-visual tour-de-force is quite the spectacle to see, hear and feel. THIS is the first game to fulfill the promise of CG quality visuals ala Toy Story (some said the previous Ratchet and Clank but I never felt that as beautiful as it was). With no UI you're fully immersed in this gorgeous universe of light and sound, it's quite something.

The creativity, the unbridled joy and whimsy, the deep *deep* love and respect for all things PlayStation, this feels like the culmination of 5 generations of memories distilled into it's purest form. I can't believe some of the easter eggs they packed into this game, Astrobot is a futuristic conduit for nostalgia in a world that is all his own. I can't wait to see what the next level brings, I am in love and beyond impressed ❤️

My PS5 has been struggling with crashing quite a bit this year and I think it's finally starting to give up with this one, crashed twice last night. Left it off all night to cool down and it only made it 30 mins this morning before another crash. I only just cleaned the dust out a couple weeks ago so I think it's just time to trade in and move to a new one before it decided to never start back up again.

Last edited:
  • Empathy
Reactions: Isa

Vick

Gold Member
Alright, I need some sleep but let me just say this, Astrobot is in the conversation for greatest 3D platformer of all-time, yes, it is that good (and I've played them all). While it may be on the easier side (the "sacred symbols" levels are where you'll get more of a challenge) the audio-visual tour-de-force is quite the spectacle to see, hear and feel. THIS is the first game to fulfill the promise of CG quality visuals ala Toy Story (some said the previous Ratchet and Clank but I never felt that as beautiful as it was). With no UI you're fully immersed in this gorgeous universe of light and sound, it's quite something.

The creativity, the unbridled joy and whimsy, the deep *deep* love and respect for all things PlayStation, this feels like the culmination of 5 generations of memories distilled into it's purest form. I can't believe some of the easter eggs they packed into this game, Astrobot is a futuristic conduit for nostalgia in a world that is all his own. I can't wait to see what the next level brings, I am in love and beyond impressed ❤️
Installing now, can't wait. First platformer bought in 15 years, but I've seen countless people at this point saying it's the best ever so couldn't resist.

Also did a couple of hours session on Playroom yesterday to catch the four characters, and by the end of it just felt the massive urge to buy the game.

Esppiral

IMG-8031.jpg
I don’t usually buy game tie-in controllers but this gorgeous thing just grabbed me!
I didn't know there was an Astro bot themed controller...I never buy this things I don't even need a second controller but I just can't say no to Astrobot related things lol.

Btw, the game has no photo mode right? Or is the option hidden somewhere?

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Same pain Im going through man :messenger_weary:
Yeah. Last night I finally got the Platinum for Astro Playroom, but I’m still knee deep into Hogwarts Legacy, haven’t started Wukong yet, and still have Boulders gate 3 and FF16 on the back burners. Then I still need to start Alan Wake 2 and and a few other more recent games. But this weekend might be all Astro Bot.

Fuck, I didn’t even touch on my 50+ backlog on Quest 3, ps5, Xbox and switch.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Game is so much better than it has any right to be.

I liked Astro's Playroom and Astro's Rescue, but the IP itself almost reminds me of those 90s advertainment platform mascots like Cool Spot or Zool. Like it feels like a playable PlayStation commercial, and yet it's really one to the best platformers I have played in the last year or two.

Everything looks great! Can't join you guys in playing this just yet, but will be back as soon as I do. Waiting on that controller as well.

• Strength

Nydius

A question for the digital deluxe owners: Is the soundtrack limited to an app on the PS5 or is there an option to download the files to a usb stick so it can be used on another media player?

I have the physical version en route but was thinking about buying the $10 upgrade just for the soundtrack and art, but if I can only listen to it via the PS5, that wouldn’t be worth it.

Thanks in advance.

Delt31

Long time gamer here. Don’t post often but I am BLOWN AWAY by how much fun this game is. Its early but I can already see this is not only my GOTY but I can’t remember the last time a game has brought a smile to my face like this. Dare I say I’m enjoying it more than Mario Odyssey? Great design, music, variety it’s incredible.

Only question so far is when you rescue bots the game allows you to zoom in or close each time. I usually just close but is there any benefit to zooming in besides just for fun?

Last edited:
I am totally blown away by this game. It's soooo good! I almost forgive them for not giving us a PSVR2 option.

As a VR game, it's one of the best I've ever played, and now as a full game it's one of the best games I've ever played in my life, it's that good.

Sony really created a masterpiece this time. The music, the visuals, the physics, the level design, etc. are pure perfection. I can see why the review outlets are blown away by it too. I knew the game would be good but it surpassed my wildest expectations.

Caio

I have to wait for the PRO to play this, it will be my first Playstation after PS4 :D Can't wait, and I miss a platform like this.

Gonzito

I wish I could enjoy these types of games, specially after all the praises in the reviews but I dont know, I find this one in particular very childlish and I dont get excited when seeing gameplay. Anyway hope you guys enjoy it

clintar

My PS5 has been struggling with crashing quite a bit this year and I think it's finally starting to give up with this one, crashed twice last night. Left it off all night to cool down and it only made it 30 mins this morning before another crash. I only just cleaned the dust out a couple weeks ago so I think it's just time to trade in and move to a new one before it decided to never start back up again.
Take the cover plates off and vacuum up the holes (or blow them with compressed air). I had issues with It Takes Two for a month before I tried that. Never a problem since then.

QUESTION:

can you only import the astros playroom bots one time, with a new game?

I haven’t played Playroom for years, but I’d like to go back at some point and find the hidden bots. Is the bot import a one time thing?

LoveCake

I pre-ordered the physical copy from the UK PlayStation store, but I have not had the pre-order bonus items email with the code yet, has anyone ordered from the PlayStation store before, how long does it take for codes?

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
Just a few more hours and I can start playing!
I'll probly play the first level a couple of times to see which HDR setting is prefered, Bright or Normal.
I'm not used to bright and cheery games, normally the only thing that gets made are grim dark serious.

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
Nostalgia Box from the claw machine made me smile so much I genuinely had some tears of joy.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Pro tip for folks:

If you don’t like the waggle controls, you can disable them in the accessibility settings, which remaps them to the left stick.

I personally like the waggle, though.

bundylove

Having a big problem.
Hdr looks washed out.
Almost milky looking colors.

Anyone else has this problem?

85 inch qn95c here

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Holy shiiiiiiit (level spoilers)
Did you guys play the Voxel secret level yet? It’s like Asobi beating Nintendo at its own game.
This game is so good lol.

Last edited:

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
Played for an hour and a half and already got the first set of Gatcha items! I've missed 2 bots in the icecream level. I was so happy to hear the Disco Tree music again. The construction zone reminded me of the first Rescue mission VR game. Really enjoying it so far.

edit-The motion controls can be remapped to the stick, This bodes well for a PC release.

Last edited:

DeepSpace5D

Downloading now, and reading the almost universal enthusiasm here has me excited to start it up.

I was trying to hold out for a few days because I’m up to my neck in Vampire Survivors, but the thought of playing Team Asobi’s next effort was a temptation too strong. I just saved the four extra bots in Astro’s Playroom earlier in the day, and will be joining in on the Astro Bot fun shortly.

Top Bottom