• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro Bot |OT| Robot in disguises

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Played the first level and already liking it more than the previous entries. Cant believe Nintendo still hasnt dropped a new 3D Mario. Sony just did.

Skitso

Or Ambient Occlusion
Well yeah, that too. But even AO has some performance cost to consider and balance. Black level is literally just a value to set right. Don't they have OLED screens at game companies or are the graphics leads who do the final image mastering just completely clueless?!

Senua

Gold Member
Well yeah, that too. But even AO has some performance cost to consider and balance. Black level is literally just a value to set right. Don't they have OLED screens at game companies or are the graphics leads who do the final image mastering just completely clueless?!
I guess it's just an afterthought to some devs, whatever the reason it's a bummer!

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Played the first level and already liking it more than the previous entries. Cant believe Nintendo still hasnt dropped a new 3D Mario. Sony just did.
They dropped Odyssey and Bowser's Fury over the lifetime of the Switch and will likely drop one near launch for Switch2. 3D Mario is usually once per gen on console at least.

Comparisons aside, this game feels like a good 3D Mario with less complicated platforming. I only played the first world, but it is fun if a little easy. I really like the boss battle unlocks the unique end of world stage structure.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I'ts unbelievable, annoying and frustrating that even a billion dollar company like Sony with their high-end AAA studios full of artists, programmers and technicians can't get a simple black level setting right in their huge multi year projects. And this happens again and again. It can't be this hard!
Why do you expect a billion dollar company to invest resources into 'fixing' something that is only an issue to a tiny fraction of their customers? I mean if you don't believe that profitable companies don't prioritize satisfying a minority, then you don't really understand what makes any company successful.

Skitso

Why do you expect a billion dollar company to invest resources into 'fixing' something that is only an issue to a tiny fraction of their customers? I mean if you don't believe that profitable companies don't prioritize satisfying a minority, then you don't really understand what makes any company successful.
Why do you expect that people that value visual quality (or quality in general) is a tiny fraction of their customers?

EDIT: And we are now talking about a fix that would be done by a one artist in a few minutes or maybe an hour at most. Something so trivial that it shouldn't even be a thing to discuss here.

Last edited:

Delt31

zrcWt5u.jpeg

VGnZTDx.jpeg
Are there points to doing this besides just looking at it/for fun?

Same question for zooming in on the robot’s you rescue. Any gameplay element to that or just for fun as well?

Certinty

100%’ed the first nebula of the game.

So far a 9/10 for me. The interactivity with the world, gameplay, soundtrack and visuals are all simply insane.

Only thing lacking for me so far is it being too easy (not really a bad thing in a way) and all the levels being super short.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
100%’ed the first nebula of the game.

So far a 9/10 for me. The interactivity with the world, gameplay, soundtrack and visuals are all simply insane.

Only thing lacking for me so far is it being too easy (not really a bad thing in a way) and all the levels being super short.

Some challenging levels open up from world 2 and by the end of that world I'd expect your 9 to become a 10 👍

Holy shit, this game is something special. The first level was fun, sure. Eased me into it.. Nothing mind-blowing.

Level two was better, super catchy music and lots of fun game mechanics, great level design.

And then..

The ice cream level. Hooooly shit, the attention to detail, the amount of imagination and love that went into this really IS mind-blowing. The enemies making snowmen, the waffle zones.. Yeah there's just so much to enjoy. Wow, pure joy.

This game is already 10x the fun of Super Mario Odyssey which I didn't particularly like.

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Holy shit, this game is something special. The first level was fun, sure. Eased me into it.. Nothing mind-blowing.

Level two was better, super catchy music and lots of fun game mechanics, great level design.

And then..

The ice cream level. Hooooly shit, the attention to detail, the amount of imagination and love that went into this really IS mind-blowing. The enemies making snowmen, the waffle zones.. Yeah there's just so much to enjoy. Wow, pure joy.

This game is already 10x the fun of Super Mario Odyssey which I didn't particularly like.

You haven't seen anything yet... 😄and yes, this nukes Odyssey which I actually *did* enjoy, Astrobot is on another level entirely.

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Some of you really need to start using spoiler tags, I'm past that but others are just getting started...

World 3 100% clear

a0ldDO1.jpeg

I know I've said it a couple of times already but I'll say it again, I can't believe some of these Easter eggs, they seemingly thought of EVERYONE Kain, Concrete Genie, Journey, Knack, Tokyo fucking Jungle, Vib Ribbon, Devil Dice (!), Lara Croft, Stray, Humanity, Medieval, Ico and on and on and on, I'm astounded, think there has only been one 1 or 2 I can't quite put my finger on.

midnightAI

Why do you expect that people that value visual quality (or quality in general) is a tiny fraction of their customers?

EDIT: And we are now talking about a fix that would be done by a one artist in a few minutes or maybe an hour at most. Something so trivial that it shouldn't even be a thing to discuss here.
I think he's saying the HDR issue only affects the minority and others dont experience that problem?

Last edited:

Lee49

Neo Member
Been having a huge smile throughout this so far. Like there's this level shortly after entering world 2 that is the most goated shit. Really hoping I get to use that power further into the game because the level was extremely short.

Same question for zooming in on the robot’s you rescue. Any gameplay element to that or just for fun as well?
I think you unlock a camera eventually that opens photo mode and using that camera at those gives you coins.

Markio128

Gold Member
Every time I play a new level I think, yeah this is my favourite, and that sentiment has continued throughout. It’s like a greatest hits of platform games. And there are so many really brief moments that are so cool. My fave so far involves a bit of tip-toeing.

Hugare

My impressions from the Review Thread

Bought the game yesterday

Been having fun with it, but seems veeeery overrated so far.

Game looks amazingly sharp, love the physics in it, the little animations and how it controls. The use of Dualsense is the best, ever.

But I dont think it compares to the best Marios, for example. Every new Mario comes with new tricks. Astro is a lot like Mario Galaxy. Some power ups are 1-1 to what you probably played in Galaxy or Odyssey.

And I have to say, the PS self masturbation is so cringy. I would rather have them make a game with their own design ideas (the original designs are great).

Like, make a ship that kinda looks like a PS5 controller that makes you go "oh, I see". But putting a PS5 controller there is just tacky, imo.

Im having fun with it, Im just not seeing a 94MC game.

Oh and its so frustrating noticing how underused is the Dualsense this gen. Going from Wukong to Astro is nuts. It feels completely dead in Wukong.

Been having fun with it, but I expected more from what I've played so far (only 4 worlds done)

Certinty

I genuinely refuse to believe this game was made in 3 years by 65 or whatever people.

I felt like I lost my love for gaming the past year. I must have started like 10 games and not got past 5 hours on a single one, most barely past 2 hours.

But i’m absolutely addicted to this. This is gaming in its finest form as far as i’m concerned.

Watching a streamer play and I immediately recognized the background music from the VR Astrobot. Are there other reused songs in this game? Not a big deal of course (it IS a catchy song) - I was just surprised to hear it again.

Edit: the boss music was also reused from the VR Astrobot game

Last edited:

Drazilice

Neo Member
Hey guys I'm loving this game just as much as everyone else, only thing I feel that it's missing The only thing missing is co op. Let's not forget about another wonderful platformer "sackboy adventure" they are both very similar in style and tone hopefully astro gets a sequel down the line or maybe a team up with sackboy would be cool

Salz01

When you find or rescue the themed bots, can you play as them at some point? Or is it just gallery view.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

If find them all you get 500 followers on onlyfans

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Hey guys I'm loving this game just as much as everyone else, only thing I feel that it's missing The only thing missing is co op. Let's not forget about another wonderful platformer "sackboy adventure" they are both very similar in style and tone hopefully astro gets a sequel down the line or maybe a team up with sackboy would be cool
Might be something for a sequel

Man, this game released on such a shit weekend for me, really don't have anytime to play. Was able to scrap together a couple of hours and just beat the first world, and yea the reviews were not hyperbolic, game is truly amazing.

Dynasty8

3 quick questions:

1) how long is it if I am the type of person that wants to do everything/collect everything?

2) does the game have some challenge or is it looking to be a cakewalk?

3) any replayability like speed trials you can compare with friends and other players online?

nial

I can't believe some of these Easter eggs, they seemingly thought of EVERYONE Kain, Concrete Genie, Journey, Knack, Tokyo fucking Jungle, Vib Ribbon, Devil Dice (!), Lara Croft, Stray, Humanity, Medieval, Ico and on and on and on
Bravo Music, Mister Mosquito, Boku no Natsuyasumi and Ore no Ryouri are very deep cuts.

Dafegamer

They dropped Odyssey and Bowser's Fury over the lifetime of the Switch and will likely drop one near launch for Switch2. 3D Mario is usually once per gen on console at least.

Comparisons aside, this game feels like a good 3D Mario with less complicated platforming. I only played the first world, but it is fun if a little easy. I really like the boss battle unlocks the unique end of world stage structure.
Trust me, there's probably harder platforming levels than even the Super Mario Sunshine challenge levels in here

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Just did Go-Go Archipelago and Downsize Surprise. So fucking good, man.

Up to 52 bots. Planning on looping back to any missed bots or puzzle pieces later on.

Dafegamer

My impressions from the Review Thread

Been having fun with it, but I expected more from what I've played so far (only 4 worlds done)
Well you at least mentioning the very best of Mario to "downplay" this game can only be seen as actual compliment tho

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I genuinely refuse to believe this game was made in 3 years by 65 or whatever people.

I felt like I lost my love for gaming the past year. I must have started like 10 games and not got past 5 hours on a single one, most barely past 2 hours.

But i’m absolutely addicted to this. This is gaming in its finest form as far as i’m concerned.
You’d be surprised at how much chaos modern development is and tons of checklist bullshit that doesn’t improve the game

skit_data

I'm 99 robots in and having a blast. Can't remember the last time I played a platformer of this quality, it just keeps throwing new fun ideas into the mix. Yeah, that's probably the most apt word for Astro Bot. It's just uncompromised, high concentrated fun.

It reminds me quite a lot of Super Mario Sunshine at times, which I consider my personal favourite Mario game. Probably something about it mixing longer/larger thematic 3D levels with separate, more challenging secret levels.

Edit: Lol, the reversed GoW soundtrack chants in the Bot of War gave me a chuckle

Last edited:
Top Bottom