• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At least 230 people killed in Brazil nightclub fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmdajr

I remember keeping up with the events of the Station fire on Metal Sludge the day it happened.

I had never seen the full video though.

so sad/scary

andycapps

234 deaths is just unbelievable. From seeing that picture of the stage that the pyrotechnics were on, that's just not smart to do pyrotechnics on there. That venue is way too small to support that. That stage would need to have a great deal of room behind it and around it for it to be remotely safe.

GRIP

I am talking about the brazilian tragedy. I think he is talking about the Station one that happened years ago.

Ohhhh, I'm an idiot. The specific problem that occurred in both tragedies about there being an exit next to the stage confused me.

That video of the Station Fire....I'm originally from that state. I had never seen the video, and I wish I never had....horrible horrible video.

Very scary how quickly the fire stopped a hundred people from having any chance of survival. Under 2 minutes and they were all doomed.

Guri

So, the numbers are updated again: 231 confirmed deaths (not 233 or 234). 121 are wounded in some way, with 80 of them being in serious condition.

EDIT: Also, the club owners and two members of the band are arrested.

shira

The club's license had expired in August and had not been renewed, a local fire official told Globo TV.
The owners, however, said the nightclub was properly permitted and had been inspected by the fire marshal.
Somebody's getting their job revoked

soepje

Amazing that fireworks are still allowed inside clubs, why not just use some lightshow to complement the music.

I remember keeping up with the events of the Station fire on Metal Sludge the day it happened.

I had never seen the full video though.

so sad/scary
I wouldn't recommend it. Like most internet savvy people on GAF, im pretty desensitized but
seeing people stuck in a doorway and unable to escape a burning building then burning alive
was horrible to watch. Just helpless

AndyD

aka andydumi
Actually, there were between 300 and 400 people. And max capacity was 2000. Still, bad interior design.

News this morning reported the capacity was 200 not 2000 and they it was apparently near or over double the capacity in the club.

GRIP

Amazing that fireworks are still allowed inside clubs, why not just use some lightshow to complement the music.

Yeah, that just seems like a fuck up waiting to happen. Hell, a lot of bars/clubs don't even allow flaming shots because they don't want to be responsible if someone burns themselves. Having fireworks? Really?

Guri

News this morning reported the capacity was 200 not 2000 and they it was apparently near or over double the capacity in the club.

Misinformation everywhere about that. Yesterday I also saw that the max capacity was 1000 and there were 1500 people there...

Actually is just a sum of a lot of wrong things, like :

- Unprepared place
- Unprepared Staff
- Overcrowded place

= Tragedy.

God help the families, and god help this fucking reative country.

Eidan

That video of the Station Fire....I'm originally from that state. I had never seen the video, and I wish I never had....horrible horrible video.

Very scary how quickly the fire stopped a hundred people from having any chance of survival. Under 2 minutes and they were all doomed.

It's a terrifying reminder to always be aware of the fire exits. And DON'T head for the main entrance.

It's a terrifying reminder to always be aware of the fire exits. And DON'T head for the main entrance.

Yeah, I've always made a point that in case of emergencies, the entrance would be the last place I'd be shuffling through, unless it's places like The Abbey in WeHo where the entrance is open air.

Sanjuro

Chilling. From the MA/RI area, worked in RI at the time of the Station Nightclub fire. It was a huge deal around here. Strange enough, I watched the Station Nightclub video for the first time exactly two weeks prior to this event.

Seanspeed

Banned
Probably because 200+ people are dead due to a fire caused by their set? I mean, if I had to guess.
Unless the pyrotechnics were done completely by surprise, it seems terribly unfair to blame them for it.

Assuming that the venue was aware there'd be pyrotechnics, it would be up to them to make sure they would be safe. In my opinion, the venue is 100% responsible.

Sanjuro

Unless the pyrotechnics were done completely by surprise, it seems terribly unfair to blame them for it.

Assuming that the venue was aware there'd be pyrotechnics, it would be up to them to make sure they would be safe. In my opinion, the venue is 100% responsible.

Except, you don't know the answer to any of those questions. You start rounding up both the potentially liable and scapegoats while the bodies are still warm.

Seanspeed

Banned
Except, you don't know the answer to any of those questions. You start rounding up both the potentially liable and scapegoats while the bodies are still warm.
I can be reasonably sure the pyrotechnics weren't done completely spontaneously without the venue knowing. You'd think a piece of info of that magnitude would have come out by now.

Also, there's a difference between being brought in for questioning and arresting somebody. At least here in the US.

Sanjuro

I can be reasonably sure the pyrotechnics weren't done completely spontaneously without the venue knowing. You'd think a piece of info of that magnitude would have come out by now.

Also, there's a difference between being brought in for questioning and arresting somebody. At least here in the US.

Again, you're just assuming. If I'm going to do the same, then I'll bet in Brazil they certainly are going to sit on their hands far less than in the states.

Seanspeed

Banned
Again, you're just assuming. If I'm going to do the same, then I'll bet in Brazil they certainly are going to sit on their hands far less than in the states.
Assumptions aren't all equal.

A less safe assumption would be me thinking that you're just being argumentative rather than conceding that it is very unlikely that the band stuck pyrotechnics onstage without anyone's knowledge and that this information is strangely being kept secret.

Sanjuro

Assumptions aren't all equal.

A less safe assumption would be me thinking that you're just being argumentative rather than conceding that it is very unlikely that the band stuck pyrotechnics onstage without anyone's knowledge and that this information is strangely being kept secret.

Actually, I'm not. You made an obvious statement which I answered. It seemed you were just lurking rather then get an actual answer to your question.

A rather poor thread to practice that mindset if you ask me.

Has anyone heard of a big fire in a nightclub where there wasn't a huge number of deaths?
I feel like I've heard this story a bunch of times; pyrotechnics, fire, locked exits, catastrophe.
But I've never heard the story: pyrotechnics, fire, open doors, everyone's ok. wtf? Are all clubs ignoring fire safety laws?

Prez

Has anyone heard of a big fire in a nightclub where there wasn't a huge number of deaths?
I feel like I've heard this story a bunch of times; pyrotechnics, fire, locked exits, catastrophe.
But I've never heard the story: pyrotechnics, fire, open doors, everyone's ok. wtf? Are all clubs ignoring fire safety laws?

Pretty much and every club goes over maximum capacity which also contributes.

This is a horrible tragedy yet not much will be done to prevent another one in a few years.

Sanjuro

Pretty much and every club goes over maximum capacity which also contributes.

This is a horrible tragedy yet not much will be done to prevent another one in a few years.

I saw some small bands play one day. I made it a point to leave once some shitty band came and used pyros in a relatively small location. Went out, got a sausage sandwich. By the time the real act was on everything was back to normal.

derder

Welp. This just ruined Pyrotechnics for me.

Edit: I mean, after watching that video. I can't believe someone filmed the entire thing.

Seanspeed

Banned
Actually, I'm not. You made an obvious statement which I answered. It seemed you were just lurking rather then get an actual answer to your question.

A rather poor thread to practice that mindset if you ask me.
You didn't answer anything. You assumed something yourself. I made a point that your assumption seemed very strange given the circumstances. Since then, you've just stonewalled instead of ever engaging in any meaningful discussion on the issue.

I am genuinely interested in knowing why the band members were arrested. I would hate for anybody to be blamed for something so dreadful unrightfully. We certainly dont need anymore victims.

Alucrid

Banned
Welp. This just ruined Pyrotechnics for me.

Edit: I mean, after watching that video. I can't believe someone filmed the entire thing.

It's almost better that he filmed it. What's more effective, the video, or the words "100 people died in fire"

Sanjuro

You didn't answer anything. You assumed something yourself. I made a point that your assumption seemed very strange given the circumstances. Since then, you've just stonewalled instead of ever engaging in any meaningful discussion on the issue.

I am genuinely interested in knowing why the band members were arrested. I would hate for anybody to be blamed for something so dreadful unrightfully. We certainly dont need anymore victims.

smh

Leopold

They are liable for prosecution for 'manslaughter without the express will to kill' (homicídio culposo, in portuguese) as they committed an act that brought death to X people. The owners most likely will be accused for the same thing and criminal negligence/ operating a venue without a licence, etc. And they're under arrest until the judge decides their sentence (10 to 30 days).

Platy

Please tell me this is fake

2xXAkEQ.jpg

edit : clarification

280px-Amazonas_Municip_SaoPaulodeOlivenca.svg.png

São Paulo de Olivença, a small city that is nobody never heard about
Not exactly territorialy small ... but pretty meaningless =P

280px-SaoPaulo_Municip_SaoPaulo.svg.png

São Paulo, capital of the state and richest city

Seanspeed

Banned
They are liable for prosecution for 'manslaughter without the express will to kill' (homicídio culposo, in portuguese) as they committed an act that brought death to X people. The owners most likely will be accused for the same thing and criminal negligence/ operating a venue without a licence, etc. And they're under arrest until the judge decides their sentence (10 to 30 days).
I think that would be terribly unfair. Its not like it was some party they threw themselves. It was a licensed establishment that is responsible for the acts they put on their stage.

And why only 2 band members? What did they do different from the rest of them?

Unless there's some information I'm not aware of, I feel really terrible for the two guys about to have their lives ruined because of some venue's irresponsibility in identifying the safety hazard.

Trolling isn't much of a discussion there, friend. Terrible thread to do it in.
I dont know what you're talking about. Trolling?

Frankly, the fact that you're resorting to petty, deflecting tactics like this makes your comments about 'terrible thread to do it in' extremely hypocritical. I am sincerely interested in discussing it. You obviously aren't.

Sanjuro

I think that I do. You seemingly are painting people "victims" who are directly either responsible or have the most information towards where the liable percentage will ultimately fall. To obtain this, the party members have been placed under custody (sans one at the moment) so they can get all the information they need in a swift manner.

Not sure the problem here.

Leopold

I think that would be terribly unfair. Its not like it was some party they threw themselves. It was a licensed establishment that is responsible for the acts they put on their stage.

And why only 2 band members? What did they do different from the rest of them?

Unless there's some information I'm not aware of, I feel really terrible for the two guys about to have their lives ruined because of some venue's irresponsibility in identifying the safety hazard.

The only two band members that were tracked down by the police. All of them have been indicted. And this is just a temporary arrest according to law for interrogation and to secure their cooperation with the authorities.

No really, the pyrotechnics would not have been spontaneous. They have to be installed and tested BEFORE the show at the very least. There should have been licensed pyro technicians working with them and the building should have been checked by fire marshals on a regular basis.

The band would have nothing to do with the pyro (usually) nor would they be the civil servants making sure the building was up to code.

Seanspeed

Banned
I think that I do. You seemingly are painting people "victims" who are directly either responsible or have the most information towards where the liable percentage will ultimately fall. To obtain this, the party members have been placed under custody (sans one at the moment) so they can get all the information they need in a swift manner.

Not sure the problem here.
Well my argument would be that they're not 'directly responsible'.

And having information on where the liability is placed is not something you 'arrest' somebody for in my experience. Like I said, there's a difference between questioning and arresting here in the States. Maybe the difference is less pronounced in Brazil, I dont know.

I'm not sure where you ever got off trying to say I'm trolling, man. Really unnecessary and it doesn't even make any sense.

The only two band members that were tracked down by the police. All of them have been indicted. And this is just a temporary arrest according to law.
Ah ok. Whats a 'temporary arrest'? I'm guessing its like a forced questioning without any direct charges or something? If so, that doesn't seem unreasonable.

Sanjuro

Well my argument would be that they're not 'directly responsible'.

And having information on where the liability is placed is not something you 'arrest' somebody for in my experience. Like I said, there's a difference between questioning and arresting here in the States. Maybe the difference is less pronounced in Brazil, I dont know.

I'm not sure where you ever got off trying to say I'm trolling, man. Really unnecessary and it doesn't even make any sense.

Ah ok. Whats a 'temporary arrest'? I'm guessing its like a forced questioning without any direct charges or something? If so, that doesn't seem unreasonable.

It was probably the small snide remarks to my responses that did the job. I don't think anybody here is going to be "directly" responsible, but they are going to slap manslaughter charges on anyone even close.

No really, the pyrotechnics would not have been spontaneous. They have to be installed and tested BEFORE the show at the very least. There should have been licensed pyro technicians working with them and the building should have been checked by fire marshals on a regular basis.

The band would have nothing to do with the pyro (usually) nor would they be the civil servants making sure the building was up to code.

The "usually" is probably the sole reason they are in custody. There is a ton to answer for here.

Seanspeed

Banned
It was probably the small snide remarks to my responses that did the job.
"If I had to guess"

I'm sure you weren't trying to be snide at all there, right?

Whatever man. I'll let it go.

I don't think anybody here is going to be "directly" responsible, but they are going to slap manslaughter charges on anyone even close.
I see no reason why there couldn't be people directly responsible.

Do you have an opinion on the matter, rather than just commenting about what you think will happen? Do you believe the band members should be held responsible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom