• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Ayesha: Alchemist of Dusk |OT|

Rarutos

q75ZIFW.png

[Release Data]
Developer: GUST
Localization: NIS America
Publisher: Tecmo-Koei
Platform: PS3
Genre: RPG
North America: March 5, 2013 (Also available digitally on PSN)
Europe/Australia: March 8, 2013

PSN is doing a day one digital preorders, where if you preorder between 2/26 and 3/5 you get a free exclusive theme, and 10 dollars back!

[Box Art]

GxhOWBb.png

EU Box Art here (Same art, etc.)

[Features]
New story and cast of characters: Ayesha’s mission is to find her younger sister, Nio, who went missing after she left home to gather medicinal ingredients, and Ayesha will be supported and helped by those already close to her, as well as new friends she'll meet along the way. This new setting will embrace all the Japanese RPG fans who are looking for a new kind of alchemy RPG!

Keep a diary to delve deeper into the story: The new Diary System allows the player to keep a log of Ayesha’s activities. Keeping up with the diary, Ayesha will be able to gain more recipes, bonus stats, and items. Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk does not have any time restriction on each mission; instead, every mission will be connected and will help determine your success in finding Ayesha’s younger sister.

Turn-based battle system: Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk features a turn-based battle system that emphasizes the importance of character positioning and distance from the enemies. Support and Assist attacks among your party will play a big role in each battle. Place your party members wisely and strategize your way to victory!

Back Attacks and unique character skills: Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk has an updated battle system that allows players to move behind the enemy; attack them from the rear to score critical hits! Get familiar with the special skills and abilities of each character to maximize your battle experience!

Alchemy gets even more exciting by focusing on the process: Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk features an updated synthesis system where Ayesha will learn special alchemy skills that she can use to fine-tune the details of the items that she synthesizes for more desirable results!

[Characters]

lmX9vR2.png
LvEDv0R.png
uwAEoNv.png
MHIC8sM.png
SSD5QI0.png
lkYcU6F.png
aZvNc6I.png

[Screenshots]

[Reviews]

RPGfan - 89%

RPGamer - 4.0/5

PSU - 8.0

[F.A.Q.]

Q: Is the Japanese voice track included?!
A: Unfortunately, no. There will not be Japanese voices included for unknown reasons. (AKA Tecmo-Koei might be cheap butts)

Q: What? No Limited Edition set?
A: Indeed. Since Tecmo-Koei took over publishing, it is assumed that NIS America could not really give it one of those fancy limited sets that are so sought after.

Q: You keep mentioning that Tecmo-Koei is publishing. Does this mean we should expect difference in localization quality?
A: Thankfully, not at all! NIS America did indeed handle the localization. Unfortunately, it seems that was pretty much all that had a hand in.

Q: Do I need to play any previous games to understand the plot/story/gameplay/etc.?
A: No, you do not. This title is currently stand alone from any other title in the series (and probably the beginning of a new one). In fact, it also deviates quite a bit, as they did not bring back much at all in terms of recurring characters. i.e. No Punis, Hagel, Pamela, etc.

Q: Does this game have a time limit?
A: Indeed, much like the Arland games there is. However, it seems like it's more in the vein of Atelier Totori/Meruru where you have a single objective that you have to complete within the amount of time that the game gives you, which should be 3 in-game years (including extension, I could be wrong, though). Therefore, you will have a lot more freedom to do things in the game, unlike Atelier Rorona where you get an assignment every 3 in-game months.

Q: What's different in terms of mechanics?
A: The Features section mostly covers this, but I'll reiterate. The battle system is different in that you can move around on your turn. As stated in the above features section, this allows for back attacks. The alchemy system is also updated, and seems a tad more complex. There is also a new memory system which gives Ayesha bonus stats, and recipes and items.

Q: What's different in terms of graphical presentation?
A: The most obvious change, is the artist. Atelier Ayesha features the artist, Hidari (Fractale) rather than Kishida Mel, who was the artist for the Arland games. Also, the way dialogue is presented is very different, as rather than using illustrated portraits with different emotes, cutscenes and conversation are shown purely through the 3D models.

Q: Will there be DLC?
A: Yes there will be, and it is assumed to be coming out in at least Europe. Unsure about North America, as Tecmo-Koei America hasn't really said much of anything about it. The official Atelier Facebook which is ran by Tecmo-Koei Europe says there will be DLC, and I assume they mean for both regions since it seems to be a page for both American and European fans. Known DLC includes: A new area/dungeon to explore, swimsuit costumes, couple of playable characters, and BGM from previous games in the series.

Credits to the Atelier series Facebook and Gravijah for his moral support and assistance.

IMPORTANT: Please keep any criticisms constructive. Any trolling or dubious remarks may result in divine banishment by a moderator.

Very, very excited about this game. Bummed about the no-Japanese voices precedent, but oh well. Still buying it, and still going to enjoy the hell out of it.

I will keep stalking Amazon and buy this game whenever it drops. :<

Doesn't help I still haven't beaten Totori/Meruru yet.

Clov

Looking forward to this, despite the lack of dual-audio. I need to figure out where I'll get it from though, as Amazon.ca isn't going to be stocking it, and I doubt EB Games will even have it in on time. :\

Eusis

One of these days, I should just abandon my Rorona playthrough and just skip to the latest game.
I plan to do that with this since it's not connected by continuity anyway. It's the other two games that are a problem there, and Meruru seems pointless before Totori since they're of roughly equal quality.

ohlawd

damn no limited edition? I knew about the lack of Japanese dub but not that.

*sigh* who knows when I'll get the game. Money's tight right now :(

vall03

releasing this a week after Etrian Odyssey IV is bad for me. I'll still get it though despite having no dual-audio. Besides, I might have no access to a tv next week.

rockx4

Lack of Japanese voice track means I'm skipping this for now, unforunately. I also have a lot of other games I'm getting in March, so that only made the decision easier. I'll probably pick it up way later when it drops in price.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I plan to do that with this since it's not connected by continuity anyway. It's the other two games that are a problem there, and Meruru seems pointless before Totori since they're of roughly equal quality.
I have both Mereru and Totori sealed. If I ever make the jump, I figure I'm going to just skip those two as well. lol

The game's got that hand drawn anime look down pat. Not up to the level of Ni No Kuni, but still...

Do the other PS3 Atelier games look this good?

Rarutos

Always thought about getting into this series, similar to most other Jrpg? Or?

I'd say not really. The main thing about this series is the Alchemy and item synthesis and using it in ways to progress the story as well as in battles. A lot of the gameplay is about gathering ingredients for alchemy and of course, making items. And it's more of a personal story for the main character than a typical "save the world" thing.

I'd compare it most to Recettear, except instead of selling items in a shop, you're making items for requests and/or for use in battles.

Wait, I remember from the advertisements and promotional stuff that there wasn't any time limit, but there's actually a 3-year time limit?

I like the new artist, but I've gotten so used to the static portrait thing, as backwards as it may be. It'll be odd seeing the 3D models.

Noi

I still own unopened CE's for all three of the Arland games. I should get to those before Rarutos gets even angrier at me.

Rarutos

Wait, I remember from the advertisements and promotional stuff that there wasn't any time limit, but there's actually a 3-year time limit?

Yeah, that's right. I asked my friend who has beaten the game already and there is definitely a time limit. I'm not sure where the rumor that there wasn't a time limit originated (I first heard it at Siliconera, myself), but it's false.

I still own unopened CE's for all three of the Arland games. I should get to those before Rarutos gets even angrier at me.

Two banners with Atelier on them, and still have the games unopened, tsk tsk.

I have both Mereru and Totori sealed. If I ever make the jump, I figure I'm going to just skip those two as well. lol

I quit rorona about 12 hours in since the game was so tedious but I platinumed totori and meruru. Those two games are a lot better.

I wasn't planning on getting ayesha until a price drop but i have a good amount of amazon credit that I have to use by the end of february. Game will probably end up in my backlog for a while.

Stuart444

Great OT

Getting this day 1 when it comes out in the UK. since NISA is handling the localization and VA, I can expect it to be just as good in those departments as Totori and Meruru so I'm happy. I'm also a little sad though since this might be the worst selling Atelier game yet and if TK are like other bigish publishers. They won't even realize it's because they fucked with what people are used to (JP VA + no NISA style limited edition) and will just abandon the series afterwards :(.

So yeah, enjoy the game guys, it might be the last in the west assuming what I say above is true (I hope it isn't but...)

Rarutos

Great OT

Getting this day 1 when it comes out in the UK. since NISA is handling the localization and VA, I can expect it to be just as good in those departments as Totori and Meruru so I'm happy. I'm also a little sad though since this might be the worst selling Atelier game yet and if TK are like other bigish publishers. They won't even realize it's because they fucked with what people are used to (JP VA + no NISA style limited edition) and will just abandon the series afterwards :(.

So yeah, enjoy the game guys, it might be the last in the west assuming what I say above is true (I hope it isn't but...)

Thanks! And yeah I'm a bit worried myself, especially since I know a lot of people are "boycotting" the game because of lack of Japanese voices and that's exactly what this series doesn't need. The boycotting, I mean.

Thanks! And yeah I'm a bit worried myself, especially since I know a lot of people are "boycotting" the game because of lack of Japanese voices and that's exactly what this series doesn't need. The boycotting, I mean.

Yep. All boycotting will do is ensure that we will never get anymore of these games. The only reason we get them now is because of a loyal fanbase.

Feels weird having this thread go up right in the middle of that loli thread.

So anyway, does this have a more involved story than the Arland games? I don't need it to be anything major, but I just couldn't find the motivation to complete those due to it being so uneventful. Like, are there actual villains and human(oid) bosses and stuff?

Rarutos

So anyway, does this have a more involved story than the Arland games? I don't need it to be anything major, but I just couldn't find the motivation to complete those due to it being so uneventful. Like, are there actual villains and human(oid) bosses and stuff?
I wish I could answer this with more confidence, since I can't be sure until I've played it... But I'm gonna have to say it's probably going to be about the same as Totori and Meruru. If someone who's played the Japanese version can clarify, I'd be grateful!

Esura

Banned

Do people think boycotting a niche game like this going to do the series any favors? Probably work against us.

Rarutos

Do people think boycotting a niche game like this going to do the series any favors? Probably work against us.

Pretty much, they're dumb butts. Guess all we can do is hope for the best. I know TK Europe is getting yelled at all the time about the voices on the Atelier Facebook at least.

Hope they do what they did with that one Dynasty Warriors game and put the Japanese voices out as free DLC or something.

Top Bottom