• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Ayesha: Alchemist of Dusk |OT|

Midou

I never played any of these, I heard Totori was recommended in another thread, is this one supposed to be better? :p

androvsky

Have there been any confirmations on who's voicing who for the dub? I'm excited to find out.
I don't think there's ever confirmation on who voices dubs for NISA localized games. I'm assuming NISA is handling the dub as usual since they're still handling the localization, even if TK is publishing. From what I can tell, they're non-union jobs, so all the VAs have to do it uncredited if they want to still do union work too. Expect the usual Bang Zoom crowd I guess.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
One of these days, I should just abandon my Rorona playthrough and just skip to the latest game.

DO NOT SKIP TOTORI!!!! 。・゜・(ノД`)・゜・。

Otherwise, my PS3 is ready!

Quixzlizx

The game looks great, but I don't think I'm buying Day 1. I'd make my complaints known to TK USA so that they'd know it isn't because I'm not interested in the game, but they are apparently absentee landlords.

Stuart444

DO NOT SKIP TOTORI!!!! 。・゜・(ノД`)・゜・。

Otherwise, my PS3 is ready!

I agree with that ^ If you must skip one, skip Rorona (I enjoyed it myself but it's probably the worst one of the PS3 lot imo)

Totori was a bit stressful for me but once I was able to manage my time (with help from a gfaq guide >_> ), I ended up loving it much more than Rorona. The Story, especially later in the game really pulled me in.

Meruru I also love (though some aspects annoyed me about it.
The Rorona situation being one of them
) and would suggest people to play through after finishing Totori.

So yeah, skip Rorona if you must but don't skip the next two games, they are great games and deserve to be played.

Ryuukan

Should add to the OP that its day 1 digital release in the US. Also qualifies for the $10 credit for $50 spent on PSN.

Nabbed this avatar:
aZvNc6I.png

As someone who wasn't bothered by the lack of dual audio, I preordered this at the earliest opportunity. I've kind of been keeping myself in the dark about the game, but all the praise I've heard has me excited.

I'm really sad that NISA is only involved from a localization standpoint as Atelier has been synonymous with NISA for years. I am thankful to be getting the game at all though after the scare of TKs Gust acquisition. If NISA won't have a part in future Atelier projects I hope at the very least that TK steps up to the plate next time and gives us great localizations with dual language support (for those that prefer it) and some nice limited edition sets.

Animekatt

I'm looking forward to playing this. I have the Arland trilogy, and have platinumed two of them (Rorona and Totori).

As far as purchasing the game, it will have to wait, since I'm getting Naruto NS 3, and then the Neptunia Victory LE the following week.

Also looks like preordering it on PSN nets you an exclusive theme.

Oh man. If it looks good, I'll probably be a little sad. If it's the same as the JPN one, I'm fine.

Either way, physical copy for me. :)

Nice OT, Rarutos! I was gonna PM you earlier if you're still doing the OT and haven't forgotten the game's out next week. Of course you didn't forget! Duh!

I hope we get that music DLC! Almost every song Gust's sound composers ever came up with is in that DLC (with some exceptions like the Ar Tonelico series). I have it with my JP copy and I love it! You can change the overworld, field, town, Atelier, reg battle, and boss battle music with the DLC. You can even set up an order so like, if you enter a town, you'll hear one DLC BGM you selected, and then after you exit and reenter town, you can hear a different song that you set up to be played next from the DLC pack.

If I remember correctly, you can use ANY song for whatever situation you want. For example, you can have past battle theme, or Ayesha's battle them, play in a town. In battle, you can have Rorona's main menu theme play if one so desires.

I didn't download Meruru's BGM packs so I don't know how that one worked, but I know Totori's BGM pack was limited to Atelier and battle themes and you can only assign one song in that specific category to replace the in-game BGM.

So yeah, I hope we get that DLC and I'd hugely recommend it to anyone who has loved any Gust soundtrack from down the years.

And I've said this like a hundred times, but Ayesha, without the BGM DLC, already has an awesome soundtrack. Probably the biggest OST ever for an Atelier game, spanning four disks of original music, including that Twilight Hour Vocal OST.

Yeah, I'm excite! I hope the dub is good. I don't like how this is coming out next week and Tecmo-Koei has been completely silent on the game. Makes me worried if I'll actually get the game next week, or if another Fire Emblem situation will arise (I got luck grabbing a phys copy of FE the thursday week it was released).

Hope to be playing this next week with all of ya!

Oh, avatars! Guess I gotta give good old doctor Asada a rest now. Hmm, I'll decide in a bit.

Rarutos

I was wondering when you'd show up! Thanks for the DLC info! It's neat that they let you use it anywhere now. In Meruru, the BGM DLC was pretty much like Totori's where you had a set track list for field/battle/etc. :)

I'm still on the fence about this, what with there being no dual audi-- HOLY SHIT MARION AND ODILEIA ARE DLC CHARACTERS LOL BOUGHT

Insert standard Atelier thread comment about how I still need to play Totori and Merurururu.

Also, the way dialogue is presented is very different, as rather than using illustrated portraits with different emotes, cutscenes and conversation are shown purely through the 3D models.
Bleh. Wasn't a fan when they did this in Neptunia mk2, and I doubt I'll feel much different here.

Stuart444

I'll admit, the only thing that bugs me is the lack of portraits now during conversations but the rest of the game looks great so I can forgive that.

Really looking forward to this, the backstory/main plot sounds interesting from what I've read.

LuuKyK

Bleh. Wasn't a fan when they did this in Neptunia mk2, and I doubt I'll feel much different here.

This, I do not approve of this change. pretty 2d artwork > ugly 3D models. It even represents better the character emotions imo, even if they are limited to a few expressions. I hated it in mk2. At least there were some events that used 2D artwork in the game. Not a #gamechanger or something, but still...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Is there gonna be another limited edition of this? Will it be hard to find in a few month's time?

Oh I shouldn't even try to kid myself I will get this day one anyway :p I just wish they would give us the Japanese voices as DLC atleast :( And I guess I will make one of my custom covers again.

Looking forward to playing this. Loved Ayesha's character design, although Rorona will always be my favorite, hehe.

Sad about the lack of dual audio, I've kept an eye on trailers for the JP version and it will be kinda annoying getting used to the english VA. But oh well, might as well get over it and enjoy the game.

Was hoping there would be limited edition, but if it ain't coming I guess I'll settle for the JP LE which has a gorgeous wooden framed artwork.

I've played Atelier starting from the PS2 games, but I really enjoyed the Arland Trilogy (well, still waiting for my Meruru copy so I can actually play it, but I know I'll like it), so this is a must-buy for me.

famfrit

Thanks! And yeah I'm a bit worried myself, especially since I know a lot of people are "boycotting" the game because of lack of Japanese voices and that's exactly what this series doesn't need. The boycotting, I mean.

Sorry, but i hate jrpgs without japanese audio... I can make some exceptions like Persona Golden because the game have some history, but jrpg like atelier that are construct with the emphasis only on the cute/moe aspect of japanese voice casting makes me rage a lot when we dont have the dual audio option.

LayLa

such a shame that Koei seem to be putting the bare minimum into the Western release of this
with zero marketing (no LE, amazon uk preorder only went up a couple of days ago) this game is going to sell pretty badly, boycott or no boycott

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
I'm excited to play this next week, but still bummed by the lack of J voices, and only partial English for that matter >.<

Hopefully the game will still shine on regardless :)

I just wanna add that the defend command is absent in this game.

The only way to defend is to have at least one character one corner away from the party member target you want to defend, and let them take the blow. The character that takes the hit CANNOT be knocked out. So if it's a killer hit, that character will be left standing with 1 HP and the character behind them will, of course, be fine. It costs a support bar to do it.

Our heroine Alchemist, Ayesha, can defend party members now, unlike past entries where the vanguard were the only ones that can jump in and take the blow.

Just wanted to show another example of how positioning and stuff effect battles in this game. Of course, hitting the enemy from behind will score you a critical hit. Hit an enemy and they'll face your direction. If you play your cards right you can score a critical hit combo.

Now watch Master LL get owned by this Optional Master Tank super Boss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVEIodRWzLE

This boss was in the trailers, but if you don't wanna see the character moves and new alchemy items: SPOILERS!

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
it's the prettiest game Gust has ever made by a country mile, and it even manages to rein in the excessive fanservice that plagued the Arland titles. It's the perfect Atelier title for America, and they're doing nothing with it. :\
I had no intention of buying this one before at least trying out Totori because I wasn't sure if the fanservice/un-funny anime humor level of this series would be too high for me to tolerate. Sounds like I should definitely try Ayesha even if Totori is a turn-off.

Thanks for making this post, you've probably sold one copy that might not have been bought otherwise!

Clov

I'm excited to play this next week, but still bummed by the lack of J voices, and only partial English for that matter >.<

Hopefully the game will still shine on regardless :)

I'm glad to see that someone from Aksys is interested in this series! :)

Though it's a bit off topic, I have a question. Given your company's recent history with Idea Factory's PSP otome games, is there any chance of getting the Atelier otome game they did over here?

Eusis

Yeah, Ayesha sounds like the game for those who posted in the loli thread about being pushed juuust over the line. It seems even at its worst Atelier's no where near later Ar Tonelico, but it still gives pause with stuff like that unusually suggestive teasing from Rorona's teacher.

I really fear they're sending this one out to die, which would be a shame as it's probably the best game in the franchise in ages. The new alchemy system is engaging, the characters and plot are honestly engaging, it's the prettiest game Gust has ever made by a country mile, and it even manages to rein in the excessive fanservice that plagued the Arland titles.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear. Ayesha seems to hit all the right notes for me art/music-wise and this was the last thing I was worried about, given what I've seen of its predecessors.

I'm (trying to, slow PSN!) download the 1.7 MB thing that I assume is some kind of pre-order key for the promotion mentioned in the OP, will I just get the $10 back and the theme automatically later? I'm having a hard time finding where TK mentioned this due to their terrible marketing.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
I'm glad to see that someone from Aksys is interested in this series! :)

Though it's a bit off topic, I have a question. Given your company's recent history with Idea Factory's PSP otome games, is there any chance of getting the Atelier otome game they did over here?

Yeah, I'm a fan of most of Gust's stuff, including the Atelier and Ar Tonelico series :)

Also, while I can't really comment on that, feel free to send us your suggestions! We love hearing them :D!

So I loved Totori, but didn't get to Meruru yet and I've already got this one preordered...

Oh and Etrian Odyssey just showed up on my doorstep. Oh and I haven't finished P4G, or started Virtues Last Reward, or Infinite Space, or Devil Survivor 2, or...

Meruru was my first ever Atelier game and this will be my second.

Luckily there isn't much rush now that it has a digital release.

vall03

I was wondering if I should pre-order the game on PSN for the exclusive theme and also for the free $10 credit then I just remembered that the game will have Marion and Odileia as DLC. Guess I'll just add that as a perk for the getting the game on PSN.

Rarutos

Yeah, I'm a fan of most of Gust's stuff, including the Atelier and Ar Tonelico series :)

Also, while I can't really comment on that, feel free to send us your suggestions! We love hearing them :D!

I'd love you guys forever (even more) if you did Atelier Elkrone.

I was wondering if I should pre-order the game on PSN for the exclusive theme and also for the free $10 credit then I just remembered that the game will have Marion and Odileia as DLC. Guess I'll just add that as a perk for the getting the game on PSN.

But you should be able to get the DLC characters if you get a physical copy too? Unless you're planning on using that 10 bucks for the characters. O:

Yeah, the timing is pretty bad. Forget the NISA fans (because I couldn't give a crap about Neptunia), this is a week after EO4, and that itself came three weeks after FE.

Or great timing for PAL land... It is released months before those games come out :(

I've tried this series so many times but never got into it. Is this one recipe heavy compared to the past ones?

Dreamer RD

Q: Does this game have a time limit?
A: Indeed, much like the Arland games there is. However, it seems like it's more in the vein of Atelier Totori/Meruru where you have a single objective that you have to complete within the amount of time that the game gives you, which should be 3 in-game years (including extension, I could be wrong, though). Therefore, you will have a lot more freedom to do things in the game, unlike Atelier Rorona where you get an assignment every 3 in-game months.

And what happens if you don't complete some task in time limit?
Found pre-order on PSN and thought about buying this. Ni no Kuni was too easy and very low replayability.

And what happens if you don't complete some task in time limit?
It depends on the task. I think you would either get a Game Over or if you're a bit further into the game you might get a Bad Ending. The tasks are generally really easy to complete though so getting one of the good endings on your first try shouldn't be a problem.

Top Bottom