• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Ayesha: Alchemist of Dusk |OT|

Coxy

It's one of those annoying things where voting with your wallet doesnt really get the message across. Tecmo Koei have been inundated with messages about it but their social media accounts are all dead except in europe and they dont seem to have any power over anything :(

Labrys

I tried Rorona, and I found it quite boring, but this looks pretty interesting. I like the plot so far from what I've read.
Have there been any confirmations on who's voicing who for the dub? I'm excited to find out.

Rarutos

Have there been any confirmations on who's voicing who for the dub? I'm excited to find out.
Considering there hasn't been much media or PR regarding this game aside from screenshots... Nope. I don't think they've even released an English trailer or anything.

I forgot this comes out so soon.

Probably because absolutely nothing is being done to promote it.

I really fear they're sending this one out to die, which would be a shame as it's probably the best game in the franchise in ages. The new alchemy system is engaging, the characters and plot are honestly engaging, it's the prettiest game Gust has ever made by a country mile, and it even manages to rein in the excessive fanservice that plagued the Arland titles. It's the perfect Atelier title for America, and they're doing nothing with it. :\

Very cute header pic.

What was the consensus on this one again? Not as good as Meruru?

I personally say better and I know at least one person who agrees with me; others might say a little worse. It's still unquestionably "top three in the last decade", though, and it scored only slightly lower in the Japanese press than Meruru did (and Meruru was the highest-scoring Atelier title since 1997). It is very, very good.

Saprol

Still a little sad on the cost cutting they're doing for voice work.

I haven't gotten around to completing Totori yet either. In fact, the case is sitting beside my monitor right now with a few others. I want a second monitor so that I'm not always abandoning my PS3 games in favour of my PC screen.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Will get it eventually. Money is a bit tight right now and the lack of JP audio makes me ;_;

Shizzlee

I forgot this series existed. Dropped Rorona because I thought it was ass. Totori is the only game I have a platinum for, and that's just because I wanted to see everything the story had to offer. Thought the gameplay itself was boring, decent, but boring. Meruru sits there not being played. Now there's another one... I shall buy it and let it chill with Meruru until I can find the time to play them both.

Cyrano

Marketing's one of the most expensive parts of a videogame, and depending on how much they poured into it, the question of whether or not they expect a critical success is likely equivalent to the amount of marketing seen in relation to it. Gust isn't a huge developer, and NIS America isn't a huge publisher. They tend to go for quantity at least as much as quality.

Eusis

Yeah, the timing is pretty bad. Forget the NISA fans (because I couldn't give a crap about Neptunia), this is a week after EO4, and that itself came three weeks after FE.

At least it's not coming out the same day as South Park I guess, that would've been a surreal combo.
Gust isn't a huge developer, and NIS America isn't a huge publisher.
Tecmo Koei this time, not NISA, otherwise NISA would've made sure their circle of fans and the periphery knew about it.

Though to Atelier Ayesha's credit (and Tecmo Koei's discredit) I didn't know Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2+ was coming out until bam, it was just about released. They're just plain not marketing anything it seems. Then again I look at the front page of their site and Ayesha's simply not there, I almost expect a delay just because they forgot to ship it out.

LuuKyK

Will purchase this as soon as its available on PSN. Even without dual language. Thanks TK. -____-

Also, very important question: IS IKSEL PLAYABLE? t-t

Cyrano

Tecmo Koei this time, not NISA, otherwise NISA would've made sure their circle of fans and the periphery knew about it.

Though to Atelier Ayesha's credit (and Tecmo Koei's discredit) I didn't know Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2+ was coming out until bam, it was just about released. They're just plain not marketing anything it seems.
Oh, didn't know this. That's... interesting.

Hmmmmmm...

Though to Atelier Ayesha's credit (and Tecmo Koei's discredit) I didn't know Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2+ was coming out until bam, it was just about released. They're just plain not marketing anything it seems. Then again I look at the front page of their site and Ayesha's simply not there, I almost expect a delay just because they forgot to ship it out.

It does seem like something wider is up with TKA in general; I don't really see a way to get in touch with their U.S. office that doesn't involve snail mail, and I'd like to ask if they're attending GDC so I can speak with them about things there. Combined with the fact that barely any of their titles outside of, I guess, Dead or Alive get marketed and it seems quite strange for what is, ostensibly, one of Japan's larger publishing houses.

Eusis

It does seem like something wider is up with TKA in general; I don't really see a way to get in touch with their that doesn't involve snail mail, and I'd like to ask if they're attending GDC so I can speak with them about things there. Combined with the fact that barely any of their titles outside of, I guess, Dead or Alive get marketed and it seems quite strange for what is, ostensibly, one of Japan's larger publishing houses.
I do feel that, at the very least, the real brains of their international operations are in Europe. The NA branch seems to quite literally only exist to do the essentials: put up a website, handle printing and distribution, and I guess send preview/review copies out. Europe's branch at least seems to actually be DOING THINGS to be in contact with the public.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Never played an atelier game, what type of rpg is it? The 3 year time limit and alchemy theme in the OP makes it seem like it's sort of sim/management-based like harvest moon or something. Is there an ongoing story with location progression/dungeons etc.?

I probably won't be picking this up on ps3 but I'd probably grab the vita port eventually if it's good.

Rarutos

Never played an atelier game, what type of rpg is it? The 3 year time limit and alchemy theme in the OP makes it seem like it's sort of sim/management-based like harvest moon or something. Is there an ongoing story with location progression/dungeons etc.?

I probably won't be picking this up on ps3 but I'd probably grab the vita port eventually if it's good.

I'd definitely compare it more to Harvest Moon/Rune Factory than a normal RPG, but if I were to compare it to a game outside the series, I'd say it's most like Recettear (though without the strict time limits). It does have story progression based on what you do and how much time progressed, though. Otherwise, you're pretty free to do whatever you want/explore wherever.

I'd say it's sort of a management game. The time limit thing is a pretty essential part of gameplay, since everything takes time and it is the absolute limited resource. Traveling out to dungeons, gathering items, doing alchemy, basically everything runs of it.

Going from Marie and the Arland games, basically as time goes on or you reach certain milestones (get a certain level, reach an event, etc) new stuff unlocks whether that be new recipes, characters and locations. Story progression is similar as well, most of the major plot stuff occurs based on the time, but minor stuff and character vignettes occur based on milestones you reach in the game. Essentially the endings are based on what milestones you achieve.

There aren't any real "dungeons". The locations are usually a large field with item collection points, with very few complex room-based locations in the very end game.

Durante

Yep. All boycotting will do is ensure that we will never get anymore of these games. The only reason we get them now is because of a loyal fanbase.
And the only reason I'm part of the loyal fanbase is that we got the games with dual audio. If that stops, I care not whether we get them at all.

And the only reason I'm part of the loyal fanbase is that we got the games with dual audio. If that stops, I care not whether we get them at all.
While I'm not a fan of TK's lazy audio choices for this game, is the main reason you play these games really the dual audio? It is actually the most important aspect of the game to you?

Eusis

Hopefully it's just a rocky transition, especially given the EU branch seemed to be sure we'd be getting it. Might well be an oversight from not saying a damn thing until it was too late to change anything.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Great OT, I nabbed this avatar

lmX9vR2.png

thank you!

I probably won't pick up the game at release, though. Actually it's the first Atelier game in a while I won't get day 1. But for me March is Miku month and with no LE I'm in no hurry.

Rarutos

Great OT, I napped this avatar

thank you!

I probably won't pick up the game at release, though. Actually it's the first Atelier game in a while I won't get day 1. But for me March is Miku month and with no LE I'm in no hurry.

Thank you, good sir! Glad someone's using one of my avatars. :)

And that's too bad, I wouldn't mind having a little chat with you about this game! Then again, I don't remember if you've played the Arland ones yet...

Eusis

Huh, now that I look I didn't get Ayesha at a Gold Box discount. Guess I'll can and see if it pops back up, I can use up my Hyrule Historia LE cancellation credit on it.

Durante

While I'm not a fan of TK's lazy audio choices for this game, is the main reason you play these games really the dual audio? It is actually the most important aspect of the game to you?
No, but the english audio on the previous games was so bad that being forced to use it would ruin the enjoyment of the characters for me, which is one major component of why I like these games. When I play this one (only after I can get it cheap) it will be without any voices, and that greatly diminishes its value for me.

Lockon

Great OT! Can't wait to play and get platinum trophy on this like the Arlands games except Rorona (Can't bother wasting too much time :X). Good thing I missed Neptunia V limited edition otherwise I won't be getting this day one. The rest of the money can go into this game!

Eusis

I actually didn't mind what I heard in Rorona, but no one was shouting barrel, so I had to flip to Japanese.

Of course it sounds like in this installment no one shouted barrel anyway. Ah well.

Rarutos

Great OT! Can't wait to play and get platinum trophy on this like the Arlands games except Rorona (Can't bother wasting too much time :X). Good thing I missed Neptunia V limited edition otherwise I won't be getting this day one. The rest of the money can go into this game!
Thank you! I got Rorona's Platinum too, myself. ;)

Shadow780

Wait so does this mean it'll have legendarily bad English voice acting ala Chaos Wars, or no voice acting?

I want the former.

OceanBlue

I'm still going to buy the game, but no dual audio and no LE means that I'm probably going to hold off on buying it for a few weeks. I don't want to put money down on both EO4 and this game at the same time. I need to finish Meruru as well.

Well, knowing me, I'll probably get it a few days after it releases anyway...

No, but the english audio on the previous games was so bad that being forced to use it would ruin the enjoyment of the characters for me, which is one major component of why I like these games. When I play this one (only after I can get it cheap) it will be without any voices, and that greatly diminishes its value for me.

I remember liking the vast majority of the Arland English VAs... except for Meruru. I swear they recorded her voice at like double the volume just to make it more grating.

I played all three Arland games with English voices and while it's incomplete I thought most of it was quite good. It still sucks that they're removing the option for people to choose.

Stuart444

I played all three Arland games with English voices and while it's incomplete I thought most of it was quite good. It still sucks that they're removing the option for people to choose.

I also thought it was quite good though I am annoyed at removing the option. I would have played through it several times like I am doing with Meruru (first play = English, second = JP) but ah well. As I said with NISA doing the VA/localization, at least I know the quality will be as good as usual but sucks that this will be the worst performing Atelier game this gen :/

Jucksalbe

Banned
Ah, right! What's stopping you from getting Meruru's? It's not
Masked G
, is it?

Didn't feel like doing another round right after I finished the game (there was probably also some other game I wanted to play at the time) and just haven't picked up the game again since. I also still have to do the platinum for Neptunia mk2, probably won't pick up Victory at launch either (it's stupid to launch those two so close together anyway).

I also thought it was quite good though I am annoyed at removing the option. I would have played through it several times like I am doing with Meruru (first play = English, second = JP) but ah well. As I said with NISA doing the VA/localization, at least I know the quality will be as good as usual but sucks that this will be the worst performing Atelier game this gen :/

How well did the other Atelier games perform? I'd imagine Rorona would've done the worst, it's arguably the most unpolished of the trio. At least Ayesha has the benefit of having some production values, and what sounds like good gameplay.

Rarutos

Didn't feel like doing another round right after I finished the game (there was probably also some other game I wanted to play at the time) and just haven't picked up the game again since. I also still have to do the platinum for Neptunia mk2, probably won't pick up Victory at launch either (it's stupid to launch those two so close together anyway).

Yeah, I'm going crazy this month because it's so packed with games I want. :(

RyoonZ

Banned
Nice OT! I will get this game, I have the Arland Trilogy but haven't played any of them. I must say I loved Iris Trilogy more than the recent output as I have finished them all. I don't mind English only dub because I always play in English voice in most of games but having option is nice. I'll definitely play the Arland Trilogy... Nomura style.

How well did the other Atelier games perform?
We only have good numbers from Japan.
Code:
[B]Name						     LTD[/B]
Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland (PS3)		 75,063
Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland (PS3 reissue)	  8,617
Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland (PS3)		104,711
Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland (PS3 reissue)	  6,125
Atelier Totori Plus: The Adventurer of Arland (PSV)	 30,956
Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland (PS3 )		137,764
Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland (PS3 reissue)	  2,648
Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Twilight Land		102,145
http://garaph.info/gamesearch.php?t...d1=&sltd2=&gameid=&orderby=&res1=&res2=&opt=1

Top Bottom