• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Community Thread: Successfully synthesized a Barrel!

Stuart444

How did I miss that Atelier Shallie trailer? Looks great anyway, got the premium box pre-ordered. Can't wait for it :D.

Also wish Amazon or Shop to had Atelier Rorona Plus up for pre-order but not yet :( as soon as one of them does, pre-ordering it asap.

Lockon

Finished Escha & Logy and got platinum trophy last week.

Don't have anything to say much, but game is great. Battle is on the easy side.
Story is okay (bad pacing, want to know more about the world, true ending was cute).
Characters are awesome...can't get enough Marion and Linca though.
Love the music.

Bring on Rorona plus (the only ps3 atelier I don't have plat trophy yet) and Shallie!
I would love to play Totori+ and Meruru+ but don't have enough time to do that :(

Stuart444

Bring on Rorona plus (the only ps3 atelier I don't have plat trophy yet) and Shallie!
I would love to play Totori+ and Meruru+ but don't have enough time to do that :(

This reminds me, I still don't have the plat for Meruru. I have Totori's plat and Ayesha. Escha/Logy will probably be an easy plat (need to complete it on Logys side and get that guy with the gun (Reyfer?) ending). I don't have the plat for Rorona and I doubt I will ever get it, it's hard going back to the original Rorona :/.

Maybe I'll play Totori/Meruru+ after I finish P4G. Bought them on release and have only just checked them out. Even have the JP version of Totori which is a little further (tutorial finished, that's it).

Love my Vita but I wish I had a way of playing it on my TV (like the later PSP models), would help when I have eye issues and stuff. :/

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
jbncXPkneavKYS.jpg

Can we get Rorona Plus added to the OP now since we have box art and a release date?

Also preorder it here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K85X1W6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/atelier-rorona-plus-the-alchemist-of-arland/114996

Seems like Gamestop has 2 exclusive costumes for reasons that escape me

Box art is hnnnnngtastic. I will add when I get home.

ohlawd

have you guys been catching up on the Atelier Escha anime?

I'm trying really hard to muster up the willpower to get past episode 2. Rie Murakawa is fucking shit as Escha.

Stuart444 said:
How did I miss that Atelier Shallie trailer? Looks great anyway, got the premium box pre-ordered. Can't wait for it :D.

Yeah, I should preorder the Premium box now too. It comes with soundtracks right? I don't know if it's the game's OST or just cut tracks/remixes.

You know Japanese/Studying? I'm going to start charting out a plan for how much of Heisig's "Remembering the Kanji" I should complete before the game comes out. I feel completeing the book might make the alchemy a lot more manageable at least, but I'm not going to push for that in two months. I'm debating about shooting for 1000, but I fear burn out and I struggle with the 250 I have studied so... that's what I'll be working on until the game is out. I've tried to tackle too much in the past when studying this language and lost motivation along the way, so my new plan is to take the advice I've been given and focus on this one thing alone and hopefully get it done, before revisting grammar, vocab, and stuff.

I'm on media black out for the title. Really excited too! July 17th, 2014!! Lets-a go! Wahoo! :D

have you guys been catching up on the Atelier Escha anime?

I'm trying really hard to muster up the willpower to get past episode 2. Rie Murakawa is fucking shit as Escha.

I feel your pain. I was playing Eschatology yesterday (I finally got the Witch costume DLC from Amazon! Thanks Rarutos for post #592 from the E&L OT. I showed them that post and they sent me a code. lol) and I set it to the Japanese track because I haven't beaten the game yet, and I wanted to play it and understand it, but I needed some immersion for my studies.... and then I switched back to English voices pretty quick. Too annoying and I don't feel like getting used to it. I prefer her lower tone and more relaxed English voice.

Anyway, I played the game for two hours then put in my import copy of Atelier Ayesha. Ayesha is a tad ear bleeding during comedy skits and stuff, but when its serious, Marina Inoue sounds a lot more relaxed and cute. Also, Kousuke Toriumi is cooler sounding as Yuris compared to Patrick Seitz, and Asami Seto rocks as Wilbell! :D

I like Christina Vee's Wilbell too, but a ton of Bell's lines aren't voiced in English. :(

I think Shalliestera might have the most tolerable JP voice of all the Atelier heroines on PS3.

Stuart444

Yeah, I should preorder the Premium box now too. It comes with soundtracks right? I don't know if it's the game's OST or just cut tracks/remixes.

From amiami:

Premium Box
PS3 Game Software

[Set Contents]
-PS3 Atelier Shallie -Alchemist of the Dusk Sea-
[Premium BOX Bonus]
-20th anniversary Atelier sound set (4 discs set)
Atelier music selection (tentative name) 3 discs
Arrange music CD (tentative name) 1 disc
-"Atelier Shallie" drama CD (tentative name)
[First Release Bonus]
-Atelier series special BGM pack

You know Japanese/Studying? I'm going to start charting out a plan for how much of Heisig's "Remembering the Kanji" I should complete before the game comes out. I feel completeing the book might make the alchemy a lot more manageable at least, but I'm not going to push for that in two months. I'm debating about shooting for 1000, but I fear burn out and I struggle with the 250 I have studied so... that's what I'll be working on until the game is out. I've tried to tackle too much in the past when studying this language and lost motivation along the way, so my new plan is to take the advice I've been given and focus on this one thing alone and hopefully get it done, before revisting grammar, vocab, and stuff.

Won't happen. Memorizing 100 is hard enough, trying to learn 1000 is insane. (and like you said, the 250 you know, you struggle with)

I'm still very much a beginner though I have memorized a number of grammar rules and could probably recognize 50 - 100 Kanji. (would be further along but I've had health issues (to do with my eyes which makes trying to learn some Kanji harder due to blurryness) for the last half a year :/ so I've been focusing on grammar more than Kanji)

For Japanese games though, I sometimes just relax and play through, looking up stuff when I see something that looks interesting (or in voiced scenes, I hear something that sounds familiar so I look it up), I look it up and other times, I look up every Kanji/grammar point that I don't know. I'll probably be looking up a lot for Shallie. Especially for the Alchemy bits.

The age of the internet~ able to look up lots of stuff without having to have a bunch of dictionaries nearby (though dictionaries aren't a bad thing incase the internet goes out :p )

ohlawd

sorry FHA, I'm judging you right now.

Rie Murakawa isn't even a bad VA, I loved her as Hotaru :(
Her performance in Escha is breaking my heart :(

sorry FHA, I'm judging you right now.

Rie Murakawa isn't even a bad VA, I loved her as Hotaru :(
Her performance in Escha is breaking my heart :(

I'm sure no one believes me, but I actually only watched Queen's Blade because the lady of the house likes the character designs, and Sony screwed up that one time and let you download the first episode for free

wilbell is the latest cast in Atelier Shallie. I wonder when they will reveal Linca.

I've only played Escha & Logy and Meruru, so I don't know all the recurring characters. I know I want to play Ayesha even more now because I just noticed DLC making Marion playable and she uses guns and is cute as a bug's ear

From amiami:

Won't happen. Memorizing 100 is hard enough, trying to learn 1000 is insane. (and like you said, the 250 you know, you struggle with)

I'm still very much a beginner though I have memorized a number of grammar rules and could probably recognize 50 - 100 Kanji. (would be further along but I've had health issues (to do with my eyes which makes trying to learn some Kanji harder due to blurryness) for the last half a year :/ so I've been focusing on grammar more than Kanji)

For Japanese games though, I sometimes just relax and play through, looking up stuff when I see something that looks interesting (or in voiced scenes, I hear something that sounds familiar so I look it up), I look it up and other times, I look up every Kanji/grammar point that I don't know. I'll probably be looking up a lot for Shallie. Especially for the Alchemy bits.

The age of the internet~ able to look up lots of stuff without having to have a bunch of dictionaries nearby (though dictionaries aren't a bad thing incase the internet goes out :p )

Oh man, that really stinks about your eyes. I'm sorry. :(

Thanks for the information on the Premium box. I love a lot of songs from the series and would like to take the drama CD on the road from time to time so this box set sounds highly valuable to me.

Regarding the study course, I'll chart for 555 and revise my play from there. I'm using Jalup's Role-Playing Walkthrough on this journey.

http://japaneselevelup.com/japanese-quest-walkthrough/

Using the guys leveling chart, I think I'm adventure level 7. I'm gonna stay there and upgrade my kanji sword, kanji heal items, and kanji bombs (raising my Alchemy Level?) before battling the demonic sentences. I'm playing Ayesha again right now and then Atelier Viorate afterwards so I guess I'll pretend I'm of the Alchemy class for now. lol

Like you, I just play and look up stuff that grabs my attention.

Yep, the age of the internet! I still like having a book to page through sometimes though.

So... Who's doing the Rorona Plus OT?

You? :)

Rarutos

M-Maybe?! I'm lazy and worried my OTs aren't that great as a result! Maybe if enough people want me to do it.

By the way, thanks for the Japanese Level Up link, I really need some motivation to get back to studying! I'll need to bookmark it and keep it in mind.

Coxy

curses, I want some of that stuff tecmo koei are selling at MCM, hope its available elsewhere at another point

UberTag

Just finally wrapped up my Totori Plus Platinum. Don't think I'll bother with the few straggler costume unlocks from Orthogalaxen. I was shocked to find that I had not spoiled the True Ending for myself. Was a pleasant surprise.

Don't plan on tackling Meruru right away although I did play through the intro. Totori is a far more competent teacher than Rorona was. Looking forward to the inevitable Mimi jealousy. Also, curious to find out why Rorona de-aged herself. I'm guessing she ate a pie that didn't agree with her.

Vylash

Just finally wrapped up my Totori Plus Platinum. Don't think I'll bother with the few straggler costume unlocks from Orthogalaxen. I was shocked to find that I had not spoiled the True Ending for myself. Was a pleasant surprise.

Don't plan on tackling Meruru right away although I did play through the intro. Totori is a far more competent teacher than Rorona was. Looking forward to the inevitable Mimi jealousy. Also, curious to find out why Rorona de-aged herself. I'm guessing she ate a pie that didn't agree with her.

Unfortunately, I loved Rorona's teaching style of not really teaching anything other than how to make pies

So... Who's doing the Rorona Plus OT?

I kinda wouldn't mind, but I wouldn't know where to get the pictures and stuff

UberTag

Unfortunately, I loved Rorona's teaching style of not really teaching anything other than how to make pies.
Pies and Chims. And pies made out of Chims.
And how to swirl, swirl, swirl in a cauldron.
And how to give everyone an insufferably cute nickname.

Stuart444

Thanks for the information on the Premium box. I love a lot of songs from the series and would like to take the drama CD on the road from time to time so this box set sounds highly valuable to me.

Regarding the study course, I'll chart for 555 and revise my play from there. I'm using Jalup's Role-Playing Walkthrough on this journey.

Using the guys leveling chart, I think I'm adventure level 7. I'm gonna stay there and upgrade my kanji sword, kanji heal items, and kanji bombs (raising my Alchemy Level?) before battling the demonic sentences. I'm playing Ayesha again right now and then Atelier Viorate afterwards so I guess I'll pretend I'm of the Alchemy class for now. lol

Yep, the age of the internet! I still like having a book to page through sometimes though.

Interesting link... and thanks <3, I forget what my eyes used to feel like. (Though I do feel better today than I have in months, hope this keeps up :D ).

Also about the bolded, it'd be funny to make a Kanji bomb to use on enemies. Picturing it now haha.

M-Maybe?! I'm lazy and worried my OTs aren't that great as a result! Maybe if enough people want me to do it.

Go on, do it :), at the least, your OT would be better than mines. Not good at making pictures and stuff for an OT. :(

redhairedking

You? :)

That kind of reminds me of the following guide I saw a couple of weeks ago:
http://visualnovelaer.fuwanovel.org...ep-guide-―-learn-to-read-through-vn-or-anime/

mclem

As someone who is perhaps best-described as Atelier-curious, what's a reasonable entry point into the series?

I don't make a fuss about graphics; I have no qualms about going back to the PS2 era if the gameplay's there and representative. And I'm reasonably strict about following stories in order, but given there's a lot of sub-stories here I'm not quite sure what constitutes a start point!

As someone who is perhaps best-described as Atelier-curious, what's a reasonable entry point into the series?

I don't make a fuss about graphics; I have no qualms about going back to the PS2 era if the gameplay's there and representative. And I'm reasonably strict about following stories in order, but given there's a lot of sub-stories here I'm not quite sure what constitutes a start point!

The PS2 games are more traditional RPGs than the PS3 ones, but I'm not as familiar with them as others. Ayesha or Totori are generally seen as the best starting points. Ayesha is the start of a new trilogy, while Totori is the 2nd game in the Arland series, with Rorona being the first. Rorona is dated and not nearly as refined as the future games, but it's getting a remake that's coming out soon, so that might be a good place to start, but I can't say for certain having not played it yet.

Vylash

Going Totori -> Meruru -> Rorona Plus will probably give you a greater appreciation for Totori and Meruru's appearances in Rorona Plus

Arthea

I platinumed Rorona back in a day and remember it fairly well still. I wonder is plus worth playing, I mean does it have enough changes to play again?

mrpeabody

Original release art:
ZWsAqFl.jpg

Plus art:
jbncXPkneavKYS.jpg

Having the cast in the boxart is a huge, huge improvement. Even if you don't know anything about Atelier, you can see it's an anime-styled game about cute girls. With the old box it's like "Oh, what's this? A game about...a staff? Ok..."

zRG3gGl.jpg

So much new stuff.

Christhor

The original European boxart is still my favourite. The new one, while not bad, is a bit too crowded for my tastes. And it has that issue where all the characters are just floating outside of time and space. A big improvement over the original American boxart though.

Arthea

That settles it, so many changes, I need to play Rorona plus in this case. It's good they are doing this, because old Rorona used to freeze my PS3 quite often. Newer version I hope will be free of those bugs.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

Stuart444

So I just pre-ordered Atelier Escha & Logy anime Vol 1 which comes out the same week as Atelier Shallie (one day apart). It will ship with my Shallie order and even includes a code of some sort for Shallie.

I've not even watched past ep 1 of Escha & Logy anime, will have to get to watching it soon. :D

Vylash

So I just pre-ordered Atelier Escha & Logy anime Vol 1 which comes out the same week as Atelier Shallie (one day apart). It will ship with my Shallie order and even includes a code of some sort for Shallie.

I've not even watched past ep 1 of Escha & Logy anime, will have to get to watching it soon. :D

Man you're missing out, it's a great adaptation, honestly better than the storyline of the game

Top Bottom