• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Community Thread: Successfully synthesized a Barrel!

My main grievances with the anime is how shafted the playable characters get in focus.

I don't mind the changes in the assignments for the sake of making it flow but I dislike this shift in focus from the main plot especially how Wilbell and Nio are basically secondary main characters at this point and the need to inject them into everything.

It also looks cheap which is generally expected, but whatever

Vylash

My main grievances with the anime is how shafted the playable characters get in focus.

I don't mind the changes in the assignments for the sake of making it flow but I dislike this shift in focus from the main plot especially how Wilbell and Nio are basically secondary main characters at this point and the need to inject them into everything.

It also looks cheap which is generally expected, but whatever

I honestly find this preferable to how they're handled in the game, where they're just randomly put in there and serve no real purpose except to increase the amount of returning characters

Articalys

So I just pre-ordered Atelier Escha & Logy anime Vol 1 which comes out the same week as Atelier Shallie (one day apart). It will ship with my Shallie order and even includes a code of some sort for Shallie.

I've not even watched past ep 1 of Escha & Logy anime, will have to get to watching it soon. :D
For anyone in Japan who preorders the anime at the Animate, Gamers, or Softmap stores, they get this hilarious cross-promotion poster as a bonus:
aTRuJbh.jpg
Yes, that is Logy stuffed into Shallistera's outfit, with Escha very much in approval. Apparently it'll also have the printed signatures of Escha and Shallie's voice actresses, Rie Murakawa and Kotori Koiwai.

http://atelier-ps3.jp/escha-logy/anime/bd_corp2.html
http://moca-news.net/article/20140523/201405231817a/01/

Also they had the whole cast sign a barrel, which they're giving away in a raffle of some kind.

https://twitter.com/eschalogy_anime/status/468426433778311168

redhairedking

For anyone in Japan who preorders the anime at the Animate, Gamers, or Softmap stores, they get this hilarious cross-promotion poster as a bonus:

Yes, that is Logy stuffed into Shallistera's outfit, with Escha very much in approval. Apparently it'll also have the printed signatures of Escha and Shallie's voice actresses, Rie Murakawa and Kotori Koiwai.

http://atelier-ps3.jp/escha-logy/anime/bd_corp2.html
http://moca-news.net/article/20140523/201405231817a/01/

Also they had the whole cast sign a barrel, which they're giving away in a raffle of some kind.

https://twitter.com/eschalogy_anime/status/468426433778311168

That barrel idea is wonderful!

I've been watching the Escha & Logy anime, and it's not bad so far (the Linca episode was pretty swell, actually). The next episode is a hot springs episode.

This is either the best thing ever or the worst thing ever, depending on where you come down on the fan-service question.

ohlawd

Best thing ever, of course.

I'll catch up one of these days, you guys watch. I've been bitching about Escha's voice and all but shiet man Wilbell's VA, Asami Seto, HNNNNNNNNNNNNNG I thank the anime producers for switching things up. More screentime for the side characters = potentially less Rie Murakawa.

Vylash

I've been watching the Escha & Logy anime, and it's not bad so far (the Linca episode was pretty swell, actually). The next episode is a hot springs episode.

This is either the best thing ever or the worst thing ever, depending on where you come down on the fan-service question.

Literally the best thing, still sad we never got a Meruru anime

ohlawd

I keep thinking that I want the Rorona Plus OT's title to be "Shin Rorona Tensei" because I'm a terrible person.
No, that makes you an awesome person. You have my support.

And my support is like the equivalent of a 100 million marketing campaign.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Currently playing throuhg Ayesha. Currently in September in Year 1, just got Linca. A few questions:

1. When is the last day of the game?

2. When should I start making multiple saves? I want to go through the game on my own first, then resume from the earliest save and follow a guide so I can get the best ending.

3. Where can I buy equipment?

Stuart444

Escha and Katla seems to be the latest additions for Atelier Shallie.

I'll be a little disappointed if Logy isn't in it. Same if Ayesha/Keithgriff isn't.

Being the 3rd game in the series, like with Meruru, it seems like they should have all the main alchemists from the series in it.

Christhor

I'll be a little disappointed if Logy isn't in it. Same if Ayesha/Keithgriff isn't.

Being the 3rd game in the series, like with Meruru, it seems like they should have all the main alchemists from the series in it.

They'll do a reverse on the Rorona deal in Meruru and have
Ayesha and Keithgriff's ages be switched with one another.

Escha and Katla seems to be the latest additions for Atelier Shallie.

I hope this doesn't become like Meruru again where the new characters get shafted for all the returnees.

Currently playing throuhg Ayesha. Currently in September in Year 1, just got Linca. A few questions:

1. When is the last day of the game?

2. When should I start making multiple saves? I want to go through the game on my own first, then resume from the earliest save and follow a guide so I can get the best ending.

3. Where can I buy equipment?

1. End of Year 3, so I believe March 31 or something.

2. The last day of Year 3. Ayesha lets you choose which ending to go to so no need to make multiple saves

3. I believe only enemies drop equipment

Rarutos

Looks like the three character reveals are store/clerk/service peeps. They don't have Hidari art, so not playable unless they're DLC.

Coxy

Linca really needs to be in too, her story wasnt really resolved at all

Stuart444

Linca really needs to be in too, her story wasnt really resolved at all

I was/am also expecting her as well due to her on-going story since Ayesha.

Also on the Ayesha/Keithgriff stuff.

Atelier Escha & Logy spoilers:
When I saw certain scenes like the stuff about Ayesha/Keithgriff off doing stuff during the game. Plus investigating ruins and the like. I said right away that I was expecting some pay off to this in the next game. It just seemed like it was setting up for the 3rd game in the series.

I've finally gotten around to playing Escha & Logy and I'm not sure I like how time is handled in this one. I'm constantly finishing the entire grid with ~100 days to go and burning time with busy work isn't exactly how I like to play these games. There's no real reward for being efficient with my time.

Vylash

Playing Meruru Plus and I'm super confused, I'm like on the tail end of year 4 and Sterk won't take me on as his student and says I have to get stronger, that's never happened to me before, also Astrid still hasn't approached me about building the archives, what's going on?

Playing Meurur Plus and I'm super confused, I'm like on the tail end of year 4 and Sterk won't take me on as his student and says I have to get stronger, that's never happened to me before, also Astrid still hasn't approached me about building the archives, what's going on?

IIRC you need to build the library before Astrid talks to you about the archives. Unless the Vita version is different for that.

Rarutos

I've finally gotten around to playing Escha & Logy and I'm not sure I like how time is handled in this one. I'm constantly finishing the entire grid with ~100 days to go and burning time with busy work isn't exactly how I like to play these games. There's no real reward for being efficient with my time.

This is my biggest problem with Escha & Logy, too. Especially since they lock areas and recipes behind assignment periods. There's nothing to do once you finish all tasks except synthesizing and front desk requests and the free time you get is mostly just... What you said, busywork. :/

Durante

I started a project to record all the special attacks in Escha & Logy.

Lucille - Medicine Break
Threia - Ancient Gem
Linca - Gravity Cross (My favourite, but this capture has some framerate issue, will have to recapture it)

I'd agree if it weren't for the fact that I enjoy the alchemy system in Escha & Logy more than in any previous Atelier game. The stuff you can pull off with those skills is insane. I recently made an item with over 400 in every attribute.

And it's not just the alchemy, due to the optional enemy battles (the search events ones) this is also the first Atelier where you can actually make continues use of those optimized items. In most of the others there wasn't a continuous stream of really hard battles available that would have required you to truly optimize your gear/bombs.

In any case, I have to say doing all the optional tasks gets a bit harder later on, time-wise. Not really hard mind you, but I now generally only have about a month left once I finish all 25.

I'd agree if it weren't for the fact that I enjoy the alchemy system in Escha & Logy more than in any previous Atelier game. The stuff you can pull off with those skills is insane. I recently made an item with over 400 in every attribute.

And it's not just the alchemy, due to the optional enemy battles (the search events ones) this is also the first Atelier where you can actually make continues use of those optimized items. In most of the others there wasn't a continuous stream of really hard battles available that would have required you to truly optimize your gear/bombs.

In any case, I have to say doing all the optional tasks gets a bit harder later on, time-wise. Not really hard mind you, but I now generally only have about a month left once I finish all 25.

I agree with you about the alchemy and optional battles, I'm enjoying both of those. The structure of the game is feeling tedious right now, but they've refined these systems quite a bit since Ayesha. It's good to hear that the game becomes a bit more demanding with the time management. Though I'm not relishing a 2nd playthrough with how constricted the structure of the game is. This might be the first Atelier game I don't go for the platinum.

ohlawd

yup, put down $72 for my preorder

get hyped

Kishida Mel's work in Rorona >>>>>>>>> Totori and Meruru. Dude stopped putting in effort after Rorona :(

I started wondering, as an Atelier player who watches speed runs, would these games make good speed running games? It seems figuring out optimal ways to get various endings would be interesting (to people with the time and inclination), depending on if there can be creativity in the routing.

There's not much speed running of the games. I found two speed runs of Totori on YouTube (one under 2 hours) and one short thread on SDA about Meruru only.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Man I'm playing Ayesha right now and I'm not sure if I can finish it. I'm currently in September of Year 1 and the game is so boring to me. I want to like it, and love the anime aesthetic, but the game is so slow. Traverse through small area, pick up ingredients, watch Ayesha being a ditz in some cut scenes, rinse and repeat.

Does the game change up the formula at all?

Man I'm playing Ayesha right now and I'm not sure if I can finish it. I'm currently in September of Year 1 and the game is so boring to me. I want to like it, and love the anime aesthetic, but the game is so slow. Traverse through small area, pick up ingredients, watch Ayesha being a ditz in some cut scenes, rinse and repeat.

Does the game change up the formula at all?
Your objective gets a clearer point to it, and combat and getting some items get more challenging. I think it picks up, even though the formula doesn't really change much.

I stopped playing it for about a year at where you are, thinking it wasn't very good despite liking the other PS3 Atelier games, then started again after finishing Escha & Logy and think it's pretty good.

Aeana

So Escha & Logy is on sale on PSN. IIRC I asked earlier about which game was good to try if I haven't played an Atelier game since the PSX. Is that a good one to go with, or should I go with another?

Vylash

So Escha & Logy is on sale on PSN. IIRC I asked earlier about which game was good to try if I haven't played an Atelier game since the PSX. Is that a good one to go with, or should I go with another?

Escha, Totori, and Meruru are all good places to jump in, so yeah get Escha

Escha & Logy is definitely the most newcomer friendly one.

So I guess I'm joining Atelier GAF, I just beat Totori+ a couple days back and I'm going back in for a perfect run. I still kinda suck at the game though, I need to jump deeper into the whole synthesizing aspect. I'm probably way too frugal for my own good in RPGs so I think that's holding me back.

...so should I wait longer on Escha & Logy since I still need to finish Totori+ again, along with Meruru and Ayesha?

Vylash

So I guess I'm joining Atelier GAF, I just beat Totori+ a couple days back and I'm going back in for a perfect run. I still kinda suck at the game though, I need to jump deeper into the whole synthesizing aspect. I'm probably way too frugal for my own good in RPGs so I think that's holding me back.

...so should I wait longer on Escha & Logy since I still need to finish Totori+ again, along with Meruru and Ayesha?

You don't need to play Meruru or Ayesha to play Escha, plus it's on sale on PSN until friday, so grab Escha

You don't need to play Meruru or Ayesha to play Escha, plus it's on sale on PSN until friday, so grab Escha

It was more of a question of "do I add a game to my backlog in which the series already has me backlogged possibly to the point of ANOTHER sale?"

I picked up three Atelier games during the last PSN sale, so yeah. Though if you insist that it's worth grabbing now then maybe I'll just hook that one too. =d

Top Bottom