• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Community Thread: Successfully synthesized a Barrel!

omlet

why would i be playing them a second time?

Because they're awesome and you won't get all the skits and endings on your first time through the game (I think you actually can in Totori if you strictly adhere to a guide which is not very fun, but Meruru for sure has things that don't even unlock until NG+ and IIRC Rorona's endings are also such that you'll have to play the game 1.5 times minimum). Also you probably won't have time to make very many powerful items and equipment on your first game, either, just enough to get by but not to tackle the challenging optional/sidequest bosses. The series is good about making NG+ feel empowering, too, what with money and equipment carryover (varies slightly by game).

So, regarding the true end and melvia's end, am I fucked if I killed
evil face
before completing melvia's flag?

I think he will respawn? Maybe not, been a while since I finished platinuming Totori... If he doesn't, then you might be...

Picked up Atelier Totori, taking some time with it. How important is keeping track of days? I'm trying to be a little sensitive about using days, but I'm not sure if that's the best way of going about stuff, since I think I'm under-leveled. Those hawk-things at the third area are totally kicking my ass.
Keeping track of days is important but you have several years of game time so don't fret too much about it. At the 3 year mark if you have cleared some requirements (story-related spoilers), you will get another 2 years of game time. Generally, you will want to maximize time spent fighting and synthing and minimize time spent traveling. It's not advisable to avoid battles--these games aren't that grindy but with how stats work in the game (stat/level gaps between you and the enemy are very powerful both in and against your favor) you will have a bad time if you avoid enemies too often. As a general rule of thumb, try not to let either your adventurer level or alchemy level lag behind the other.

Really want to like the game, it's... not entirely clicking yet. I feel like some of that is just some stuff going over my head, though. How does synthesis work, exactly? There's a couple quests that are asking me for stuff I haven't made before and I'm not entirely sure how you're supposed to make it, or figure out the relevant ingredients.
All synthesis recipes are learned from books. As a general rule, raising your alchemy level will not teach you new recipes. You can get books in different ways. Some you can buy, some you can find from exploring, some will be given to you after meeting certain requirements (like getting to certain level). If you're seeing requests for items you can't make yet, just ignore them for now.

Unlike some games where you can "stumble" upon recipes by experimentation in crafting, in Atelier that only happens in the narrative, not in the gameplay. If you don't have the recipe book you will not be able to make the item.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
YShWUTZl.jpg

BARREL

Damn.

Then again, it's only been recently released in japan right?

Expect some announcements later this month.

Koei Tecmo has to have something to promote come London Comic Con.

Though I expect it'll most likely be New Atelier Rorona. Ayesha+ will probably come in the fall like the last two + games.

UberTag

Anyone in here successfully net all 4,000 license points in Totori Plus? I'm thinking a Dessert request simply isn't going to spawn at all.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So, just to make sure, you can't reach to friendship 80 just from adventuring right? You have to do some friend's requests also?

omlet

So, just to make sure, you can't reach to friendship 80 just from adventuring right? You have to do some friend's requests also?

I don't remember where exactly it caps, but yeah, just travel/adventuring won't get you to the friend rank you need for some events and endings so you'll need to do some requests.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
What happens in that scene? lol

In that scene, Mimi
eats a meal with mushrooms that make her tell her true feelings inadvertently (think Liar Liar). So she ends up saying all sorts of stuff about how she wants to do all sorts of things with Totori, like sleep together and bath together, etc.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Man, I started Ayesha and this game is soo slow. Does it pick up? I just walked around the bazaar and got Wilbell. Dunno where to go next.

"By the way, my sister's name is Sexilia. That's also kind of a mouthful, so everyone calls her Sexy."

Am I hearing things GAF or that's how she says it?

omlet

"By the way, my sister's name is Sexilia. That's also kind of a mouthful, so everyone calls her Sexy."

Am I hearing things GAF or that's how she says it?

Mimi has a sister?

I know you're talking about Totori and her sister. You must be hearing things.

Man, I started Ayesha and this game is soo slow. Does it pick up? I just walked around the bazaar and got Wilbell. Dunno where to go next.

It does. As for where to go next, just...go explore! Ayesha's journal thing is a good reference for what to do and where to go. Early game you won't have much in there, just work on doing some alchemy, check locations in town frequently for events, and go hit up some nearby areas for materials and experience now that you have a full party of 3 you can work with.

UberTag

Anyone in here successfully net all 4,000 license points in Totori Plus? I'm thinking a Dessert request simply isn't going to spawn at all.
I believe I've answered my own question here.

There's a script that runs in the background when it comes to request generation where certain known commodities will be asked for by Filly and Gerhard all the time, others will only be asked for rarely and some only asked for when they are effectively "unknown" recipes from a recently acquired recipe book.

Many of the items from that third group will never re-populate in the request cycle once they've been crafted the first time. For instance, I saw constant requests for Diocrafts before I finally crafted one. Not a single one since.

As both of the dessert group items in the game (Mont Blanc, Meister Tarte) fall into that third group it is impossible to trigger the Dessert Drop category quest license flag unless you accept a request for either one BEFORE you craft one the first time. This is compounded further by the fact that the most popular walkthrough on the 'Net for Totori has you knock out all of Iksel's cooking contest recipes in sequence which means you'll never see the Meister Tarte show up in the request cycle at all. (Interestingly enough, there's a little-seen interaction between Totori and Ceci if you craft one of these in Alanya which you'll likely miss if you follow this walkthrough.)

So you pretty much have to get lucky on a Mont Blanc request drop before you craft one. and if you don't, you can kiss that 4,000 license point completion goodbye. Although you likely won't realize it until a couple game years later like I did. Good thing there's no trophy attached to it.

Christhor

That trailer was great, actually got me legitimately pumped while watching it. And the end though, when they showed Ayesha and Escha/Logy. Hope that means they actually will try to wrap things up with them.

the localization left are: Rorona+, Ayesha+,Shallie, right? We will probably get Rorona+ soon this year and Ayesha+ by early next year? then maybe Shallie is for mid-late 2015.

And it looked like they were teasing Ar Nosurge coming too. Gust just makes way too many games, lol.

Antiwhippy

Hmmm, from what I've seen, the dusk trilogy seems a lot more... "folksy"? Really liking it compared to the more medieval european feel of the arland trilogy.

Hoping they all come to the vita soon!

Antiwhippy

God this
aishatter
fight fucking sucks.

edit: what the fuck.

Got him to 5% health and he fucking unleashes 2 instant kill moves in a turn. I have heroic medals but that didn't fucking help.

How is this not bullshit?

Vylash

God this
aishatter
fight fucking sucks.

edit: what the fuck.

Got him to 5% health and he fucking unleashes 2 instant kill moves in a turn. I have heroic medals but that didn't fucking help.

How is this not bullshit?

Sounds like you need better equipment

Antiwhippy

Sounds like you need better equipment

I guess? From what I've been reading I haven't put enough into speed, but the save I have now is too far in to really try to make anything good. Guess I'll just revert to a much earlier save.

Argh, the true ending is such a pain in the ass.

zoku88

Hmm, never had that much trouble with that boss. I would say that speed is always important, but fire resistance equipment is also good for it. (IIRC.)

Luckily I don't really care about the Rorona swimsuit costumes so I'm not going to bend over backwards to get it at Gamestop, woo!

Also, I really do like the cover. It's a nice image of (most) of the cast.

Eusis

Yeah, I think that confirms SCEA went "wait what the fuck were we thinking" and flipped back to black banners. KT was the one that released not one but two games with blue bars, and now it's back to just black.

... Anyways, that ends up going with the other covers better than the original did, so that works out nicely. I guess they were initially afraid of actually showing that kind of artwork before NISA went "wait who are we kidding here." Or retailers were afraid, whichever.

Top Bottom