• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Community Thread: Successfully synthesized a Barrel!

Just finished the Escha & Logy anime. It was... okay. Definitely had its high points, especially when it deviated from the game to flesh out side stories (the Linca episode I think is still my favourite), but it suffers even more than the game from peculiar pacing: nothing happens for ten episodes and then suddenly the whole main plot is over and done in two episodes and the series is over and oh hi Simon and Simon Shallie and Shallie after the end credits.

The main appeal is watching all the characters get proper animations, but even that's not that interesting after a while and it's not like it was an expensive anime to make so the quality isn't that high. The cutscenes in the game were of higher quality for sure (makes sense, since they didn't have to churn out six hours of content at the same quality!).

Curious if they'll bother making a Shallie anime. Not sure if I'll care enough to watch it; maybe if the game blows me away.

Oh yeah, P.S.: I liked the Shallie opening. It's about as context-free as the Ayesha opening, and it has the same serene mood but is more obviously melancholy.

Keb

Neo Member
I'm three assignments from finishing Rorona, and I am a little upset.

I seem to have gotten myself into a situation where I cannot complete the game. This upsets me.

I started the game a year ago and the school year started and I just didn't pick it up again, until now. I don't play a ton of RPG's, but I have dabbled with them in the past, and this one seemed like a lot of fun.

I am in year 3 and on the 10th assignment. I need to collect some rare items from Night's Domain (I believe that is what it is called). However, the game up until now never stressed combat, and so I thought I was doing OK with my routine. I am lvl 18. I have pretty basic equipment (the materials for the better items seem hard to get). The creatures have taken a massive leap in difficulty. It is now impossible for me to defeat enemies in this area and get the necessary items to complete the quest. Is my game effectively over? Do I need to start over?

I fear the answer is yes. That is what my gut is telling me. And, if that is so, now I know that combat is more important than the game leads you to believe. At least for this ONE part. That is frustrating to the extreme. If I have to start over, fine, but I don't think it will be this week. I will need some time away from it before I come back.

Vylash

I seem to have gotten myself into a situation where I cannot complete the game. This upsets me.

I started the game a year ago and the school year started and I just didn't pick it up again, until now. I don't play a ton of RPG's, but I have dabbled with them in the past, and this one seemed like a lot of fun.

I am in year 3 and on the 10th assignment. I need to collect some rare items from Night's Domain (I believe that is what it is called). However, the game up until now never stressed combat, and so I thought I was doing OK with my routine. I am lvl 18. I have pretty basic equipment (the materials for the better items seem hard to get). The creatures have taken a massive leap in difficulty. It is now impossible for me to defeat enemies in this area and get the necessary items to complete the quest. Is my game effectively over? Do I need to start over?

I fear the answer is yes. That is what my gut is telling me. And, if that is so, now I know that combat is more important than the game leads you to believe. At least for this ONE part. That is frustrating to the extreme. If I have to start over, fine, but I don't think it will be this week. I will need some time away from it before I come back.

lol, if you're only at level 18 at that point, you're doing everything wrong. but if you want an easy way to do it, enter Night's domain, avoid absolutely every enemy, and keep going to the right for about 2-3 frames until you get to an area that has Dark Coral, then leave the area and come back and gather more, repeat until you think you have enough

ohlawd

yeah, just go to where Vylash says. The farming spot for Dark Coral has no mandatory enemies so you're free to farm there. Takes 2 days each attempt though.

The other two items require you getting past those black griffons and they'll eat you alive if you have weak equipment.

Doesn't really take that long to make better equipment. Traits > Quality at this point.

i love the atelier series, i can't wait for the final game released on the ps3 in august!
I thought Atelier Shallie will be released in Japan on July 17th, and I expect it will be released outside of Japan around March. So it's either sooner or later than August, depending on which way you were wanting. :)

Stuart444

I thought Atelier Shallie will be released in Japan on July 17th, and I expect it will be released outside of Japan around March. So it's either sooner or later than August, depending on which way you were wanting. :)

Yup on the JP release and March is about the date I'm expecting for the ENG date. :D

Is it actually confirmed to be the last Atelier game for the PS3?

Probably?

It is ending the trilogy of the Dusk series.

While Gust is generally slow in transitioning to a new hardware, I can't imagine they'll want to start making a new Atelier series on the PS3 and finish it on the PS4.

They can always do Atelier Musou as a filler, wwwwwww

Vylash

Probably?

It is ending the trilogy of the Dusk series.

While Gust is generally slow in transitioning to a new hardware, I can't imagine they'll want to start making a new Atelier series on the PS3 and finish it on the PS4.

They can always do Atelier Musou as a filler, wwwwwww

Oh my god don't tease me

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

True story: I did this too, though around level 22 ish when I played Atelier Rorona the first time. I lost and started over. I sold my junk before the last day and failed, bad end. ;_;

However if you can dodge the enemies altogether and get a few screens in you should be able to get to the area w/ the materials you need.

Stuart444

My Shallie premium box just got sent out earlier today. Can't wait to get it though I dread to think what customs will ask me to pay :/ oh well.

Christhor

So apparently some people got to the end of Shallie already? (Unconfirmed spoilers)
Apparently Logy and Ayesha get a cameo at the end of the game, and it seems like they're setting things up for another Dusk title

I kinda hope it's true.

Also, this game has four difficulty settings.

Arthea

guys, guys, why haven't you told me how awesome alchemy is in Escha & Logy?

Basically, I like this game a lot more than Atelier Ayesha in general.
I'm not particularity bothered by abundance of free time too, as it gives me time to do a lot more alchemy, experiment and stuff and I appreciate that.
Only story isn't that interesting, but then again, Atelier games aren't about story in general.
I still miss all exploring and gathering techniques (fishing especially). I wonder will we ever get another Atelier that's not about time management but about silly little things I so liked to do in those games, as planting, fishing, climbing, night-day gathering differences.
I feel that only alchemy still captivates me on the same level as in older games.

Christhor

I wonder will we ever get another Atelier that's not about time management but about silly little things I so liked to do in those games, as planting, fishing, climbing, night-day gathering differences.
I feel that only alchemy still captivates me on the same level as in older games.

Funny you should mention that. Shallie doesn't have time management and it has fishing in it. Don't know how indept the fishing is, but it's there.

So apparently some people got to the end of Shallie already? (Unconfirmed spoilers)
Apparently Logy and Ayesha get a cameo at the end of the game, and it seems like they're setting things up for another Dusk title

I kinda hope it's true.

Does that actually mean we'll be getting a 4th Dusk game? :x pleasebeduskmusou

Interesting to have difficulty settings. Is this a first? :x

Quixzlizx

guys, guys, why haven't you told me how awesome alchemy is in Escha & Logy?

Basically, I like this game a lot more than Atelier Ayesha in general.
I'm not particularity bothered by abundance of free time too, as it gives me time to do a lot more alchemy, experiment and stuff and I appreciate that.
Only story isn't that interesting, but then again, Atelier games aren't about story in general.
I still miss all exploring and gathering techniques (fishing especially). I wonder will we ever get another Atelier that's not about time management but about silly little things I so liked to do in those games, as planting, fishing, climbing, night-day gathering differences.

You're a Mana Khemia bro. I can tell.

Vylash

I kinda hope it's true.

oh god no, not another one, ugh

TnK

OK you guys, I am interested in this series on the PS3. The question is, how good is it, and which games should one get?

Thanks.

Arthea

Funny you should mention that. Shallie doesn't have time management and it has fishing in it. Don't know how indept the fishing is, but it's there.

seriously?
you just made my day!

You're a Mana Khemia bro. I can tell.

totally!

OK you guys, I am interested in this series on the PS3. The question is, how good is it, and which games should one get?

Thanks.

lemme ask you a contraquestion. Do you like alchemy? If you do, buy all of them, only I would suggest Rorona plus instead of Rorona, mainly because Rorona was buggy.

TnK

lemme ask you a contraquestion. Do you like alchemy? If you do, buy all of them, only I would suggest Rorona plus instead of Rorona, mainly because Rorona was buggy.
No idea, lol. We will find out with these games I suppose.

Arthea

No idea, lol. We will find out with these games I suppose.

then it only makes sense to start from Rorona plus. If you'll like it, you have much more. If don't... well, I can't really imagine how anyone can dislike Atelier games.

TnK

then it only makes sense to start from Rorona plus. If you'll like it, you have much more. If don't... well, I can't really imagine how anyone can dislike Atelier games.

Can you give me a summary on what these games are, how the story is, etc? I heard that all the stories are connected, and that the games have really good characters.

Arthea

Can you give me a summary on what these games are, how the story is, etc? I heard that all the stories are connected, and that the games have really good characters.

All games are connected, but not like you can't play just one, as I said these are not so much about story as about alchemy. Alchemy in any Atelier game is a game on itself, not only it makes you to gather, kill monsters but care about characters and follow story.
Characters were pretty good particularly in Rorona. The best game in Arland trilogy was the last one, Meruru, in my opinion, even if all games are good.
Dusk trilogy isn't finished yet, Shallie will be the last one.
I hope it helped some.

TnK

All games are connected, but not like you can't play just one, as I said these are not so much about story as about alchemy. Alchemy in any Atelier game is a game on itself, not only it makes you to gather, kill monsters but care about characters and follow story.
Characters were pretty good particularly in Rorona. The best game in Arland trilogy was the last one, Meruru, in my opinion, even if all games are good.
Dusk trilogy isn't finished yet, Shallie will be the last one.
I hope it helped some.
It helped a lot, thanks.
So to make sure, I think the entire roronoa trilogy will get the plus version, correct?

Arthea

It helped a lot, thanks.
So to make sure, I think the entire roronoa trilogy will get the plus version, correct?

There are already Totori plus and Meruru plus, both are Vita games, though. I'm not sure we will be getting PS3 versions of them. Rorona was last remade, and as PS3 version of it needed remake, it was remade.
Also there is Ayesha plus, the first game from Dusk trilogy, also only for Vita.

TnK

There are already Totori plus and Meruru plus, both are Vita games, though. I'm not sure we will be getting PS3 versions of them. Rorona was last remade, and as PS3 version of it needed remake, it was remade.
Also there is Ayesha plus, the first game from Dusk trilogy, also only for Vita.

Will they be getting english releases?

Will they be getting english releases?

Rorona, Totori and Meruru Plus have all been released in North America already. Totori Plus, Meruru Plus and the Vita version of Rorona Plus are digital-only (there are no PS3 versions of Totori or Meruru Plus).

Ayesha Plus has not been announced or released, but everyone basically assumes the game will come over eventually.

Sora_N

I bought Totori Plus at last when it was finally on sale again, and I didn't get into it until Saturday night when I had some free time.

Loving the characters in this game, the dialogue is great and the game feels pretty relaxing with great music.

I'm glad I didn't really play on PS3 and sold them, this game is perfect for Vita.

I just have two things I'm confused about, what does it mean when the tutorial said I'll gain Adventurer Experience by exploring, do I have to physically step in every section of the map? I tried going around one area and didn't see anything come up.

Also, does the quality of the item I submit to Gerhard matter for ending(s)/trophies or is it just for the bonus rewards?

Rarutos

I bought Totori Plus at last when it was finally on sale again, and I didn't get into it until Saturday night when I had some free time.

Loving the characters in this game, the dialogue is great and the game feels pretty relaxing with great music.

I'm glad I didn't really play on PS3 and sold them, this game is perfect for Vita.

I just have two things I'm confused about, what does it mean when the tutorial said I'll gain Adventurer Experience by exploring, do I have to physically step in every section of the map? I tried going around one area and didn't see anything come up.

Also, does the quality of the item I submit to Gerhard matter for ending(s)/trophies or is it just for the bonus rewards?
The "Adventurer Experience" is probably the License points. Make sure you do as many of those as you can because it's kinda important for ending progress.

Gerhard and Filly's quest don't matter for endings much at all (except maybe that one event CG with Tiffani and Filly), though doing them do give you some license points.

Just stopping in to say I'm on chapter 6 of Atelier Shallie right now and the game has been AWESOME!!! Love it!

Going right back to it right now.

ohlawd

I'd like the Vita ports more if their performance wasn't trash and the text not meant to be read by ants.

Just stopping in to say I'm on chapter 6 of Atelier Shallie right now and the game has been AWESOME!!! Love it!

I'm so jelly :(

Rarutos

Yoooo Mr. Icana, I have some questions! So time limits have been removed and you can synth and gather as much as you want as long as you don't progress the Life Task bar right?

Stuart444

Jelly but mines should be here by the end of the week. Tracking says "Awaiting customs - charging" or something similar so I guess whenever I get the letter and pay for it, I'll have it within a day or two afterwards.

Sometimes I hate importing. :/ Stupid customs and charges. :/

Got the Shallie OST in the mail yesterday. Disk 1 was good. Gonna save the rest for later. The OST in the game is great.

Yoooo Mr. Icana, I have some questions! So time limits have been removed and you can synth and gather as much as you want as long as you don't progress the Life Task bar right?

Well, you can progress the Life Task bar and still synth and gather as much as you want. There's like two phases to every chapter. When you start a chapter your Life Task is simply to follow the story, but you can do whatever you want still when you're not watching cutscenes, and when all necessary events for that chapter is completed you have something like a "free time" where you can complete a ton a random Life tasks, fill up a gauge to full, and then you can choose to or not to advance to the next chapter. When the life task bar is full, a prompt will come up every time you return to the Atelier asking you if you want to advance to the next chapter or not.

So yeah, there is no countdown to worry about. I'm hoping more people will consider giving the game a try now.

I'm playing Shalliestera's route on hardcore mode. Hard mode is actually not that hard and rewards you with 1.5x more EXP, and I think you have a better chance at getting rare items on this difficulty as well. Some field monters should be avoided early game as they'll destroy you. You'll probably have to heal up at the Atelier a lot, early game. It's a lot of fun.

Stuart444 said:
Jelly but mines should be here by the end of the week. Tracking says "Awaiting customs - charging" or something similar so I guess whenever I get the letter and pay for it, I'll have it within a day or two afterwards.

Sometimes I hate importing. :/ Stupid customs and charges. :/

I see. Hope you get your box soon. :D

Rarutos

Well, you can progress the Life Task bar and still synth and gather as much as you want. There's like two phases to every chapter. When you start a chapter your Life Task is simply to follow the story, but you can do whatever you want still when you're not watching cutscenes, and when all necessary events for that chapter is completed you have something like a "free time" where you can complete a ton a random Life tasks, fill up a gauge to full, and then you can choose to or not to advance to the next chapter. When the life task bar is full, a prompt will come up every time you return to the Atelier asking you if you want to advance to the next chapter or not.

So yeah, there is no countdown to worry about. I'm hoping more people will consider giving the game a try now.

I'm playing Shalliestera's route on hardcore mode. Hard mode is actually not that hard and rewards you with 1.5x more EXP, and I think you have a better chance at getting rare items on this difficulty as well. Some field monters should be avoided early game as they'll destroy you. You'll probably have to heal up at the Atelier a lot, early game. It's a lot of fun.
Glad to hear it's fun at least. Escha was actually kinda disappointing to me because of how easy it was, but if the characters have that natural Gust charm then I'll probably end up loving it more. None of the (playable) characters in Escha really spoke to me other than Threia and Linca, sadly. :(

I'll probably play on Hardcore mode when it comes out in English, too. I really hope I like the game more than Escha because I'm so worried I won't! Thanks for the info, good sir!

Glad to hear it's fun at least. Escha was actually kinda disappointing to me because of how easy it was, but if the characters have that natural Gust charm then I'll probably end up loving it more. None of the (playable) characters in Escha really spoke to me other than Threia and Linca, sadly. :(

I'll probably play on Hardcore mode when it comes out in English, too. I really hope I like the game more than Escha because I'm so worried I won't! Thanks for the info, good sir!

Well, the Alchemy is a lot harder in this game. It's hard to explain though. Basically, due to the lack of a time-limit, they made some changes to keep it balanced. Some guy on gamefaqs typed up a pretty good explanation on how the new systems work. I'm too lazy to link to it and I'm sure you and others would prefer to figure it out next year anyway. Alchemy is still REALLY addicting. I've spent so much hours playing with weapons and stuff.

To me though, it sounds like you're biggest concern is about the characters. I can say the story is a lot more lively right from the beginning compared to Escha and Lodgy. I'm sure Stuart will back up that claim when he gets his copy. Don't need to know any Japanese to see that. ;)

I don't know enough Japanese to follow the conversations well, so a lot of my impressions of the characters so far have been partially influenced by my imagination or what I think they're saying. That said, I think the cast are more interesting, and well diverse compared to Escha.

I think Homura, for example, already stands out just by being an homonculus wielding a sword and doing cool things in battle. His dialogue is written completely in hiragana and his speech is often casual, if I remember correctly. I get a cute and 'hip' impression from him even though the only thing I really know about him is that he's a treasure hunter and the girls think he's cute.

Linca isn't fighting anymore so... yeah. She's learned to be a lady.

Calm your worries. I can't guarantee, but I feel confidant you'll enjoy Shallie better than Escha come next year. :)

Stuart444

To me though, it sounds like you're biggest concern is about the characters. I can say the story is a lot more lively right from the beginning compared to Escha and Lodgy. I'm sure Stuart will back up that claim when he gets his copy. Don't need to know any Japanese to see that. ;)

I don't know enough Japanese to follow the conversations well, so a lot of my impressions of the characters so far have been partially influenced by my imagination or what I think they're saying. That said, I think the cast are more interesting, and well diverse compared to Escha.

Indeed, probably next week though. I haven't got the letter about custom charges yet so earliest I'll get the game is Monday (assuming the letter comes tomorrow or Saturday).

Oh well, more time for SAOHF I suppose but man I'm impatient. (Always am when I import stuff lol)

Top Bottom