• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan Season 2 |OT| NO MANGA TALK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoda

Are not a lot of people watching the new season? This thread is pretty small and I can't say that I've seen much discussion elsewhere besides this thread.

Hopefully it does well but it kind of seems like a lot of the momentum they got from season 1 died out.

The gap between season 1 and 2 is very bad for total viewership. Despite the gap, this season is cut down.

turmoil

Banned
This 12 episodes season should have happened 2 years ago, and this year we should be getting a 24 episodes season.

Why do it like this, I will never understand.

Erigu

PSA: Please don't argue with Erigu. It's not worth your time.
Aren't you a peach.

But yes, it's probably better that way. Both because this looks like it's unlikely to go anywhere (it's always a great sign when an interlocutor actually gets vaguer when asked to elaborate) and because it's (somehow?!) still unclear whether or not manga spoilers would be involved...

I want to suggest to anyone who's anime-only and hasn't done it yet to watch the Isle's Notebook OVA.

Thanks for pointing this out!
Just went through all the OVA material, none-of-which I even knew existed.
The cooking episode is prime A grade filler material but man it was hilarious :D

LordOfChaos

Hah, that message-potato swap. That was the right level of potato gag.

This 12 episodes season should have happened 2 years ago, and this year we should be getting a 24 episodes season.

When season 1 ended, there was little manga after that, so they had to wait to spool up enough manga content for a season, for one. That in itself was slow going. They couldn't just magic another season two years ago.

Then there's Wit's overproduction which is another issue.

Also yeah, this season does feel very under the radar when first season was huge, I wonder how much their viewership dropped off for the 4 year wait.

Demoli

Hah, that message-potato swap. That was the right level of potato gag.

When season 1 ended, there was little manga after that, so they had to wait to spool up enough manga content for a season, for one. That in itself was slow going. They couldn't just magic another season two years ago.

Then there's Wit's overproduction which is another issue.

Also yeah, this season does feel very under the radar when first season was huge, I wonder how much their viewership dropped off for the 4 year wait.

If i remember correctly there was definitly enough for a 12 episode series. Not for 24 tho, we only reached that point last year.

LordOfChaos

If i remember correctly there was definitly enough for a 12 episode series. Not for 24 tho, we only reached that point last year.

I guess by 2015 they would have had up to 63-66ish in the manga, but that's not accounting for any production schedule after it's written. I'm assuming they couldn't do the show piece by piece without planning it all out beforehand, and they needed the material done for that.

Right when season 1 ended in sept 2013 they were around where these first three episodes already finished.

Yoda

I don't have a comprehensive grasp on the anime industry, but from what I understand there's an ever increasing drought of animators due to low pay + long hours and the current production company has taken more contracts than it has the resources to produce in a timely manner.

AoT season 2 obviously wasn't in development for the last 4 years, it was simply in limbo waiting to be worked on. I suspect it took half a year to produce at most.

Will they actually get to the basement this season?

Doubtful.

Dynomutt

Will admit I have not started yet but I will say that the good thing about Attack on Titan is that it brought us Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress. Waiting for S2.
tumblr_o5sd5rQIq11t2yvn6o1_500.gif

original.gif

tumblr_oajv1joBPo1twyezqo1_500.gif

b93bc7f04e4b7570d40e7cec29d649c9.gif

tumblr_o6qrs372b71qet0cro1_500.gif

uTvgXvw.gif

DarkKyo

At this point I'm pretty sure there's enough manga content to produce about 2-3 more of these short 12-episode seasons.

Ennosuke

Amazing episode, the tension is huge! Nothing happened? Step by step it is being revealed what titans really are. I think they are doing a good job with the mystery.

Another great episode. I like how for every little answer you get to a mystery it just creates more questions, but the answers are still satisfying enough as is. I feel like the mythology is about to get a lot deeper. Not only are there interesting questions around the titans and the wall but a lot more characters are getting good moments to shine. The opening scene with Connie was hard to watch.

I feel like I say this every post but the music is so damn good.

Yup, completely agree.

Will admit I have not started yet but I will say that the good thing about Attack on Titan is that it brought us Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress. Waiting for S2.

You should definitely start watching, AoT is a fantastic watch. :)

Yup I'm waiting for season 2 as well, I'm really glad Kabaneri is continuing.

It doesn't really seem under the radar to me, though I do think people just already knew they were going to watch it so there's less "should I watch it?" talk, plus I think it's about to get a sizable bump in chatter when it hits Toonami next week.

Anion

Just finished up the first 3 episodes. I need to revise the past few lol.

BUT OMG so good. Hyped for the next few haha

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
So I did some pondering and wonder what you guys think about this theory:

So far the two "human" titans we've seen so far somewhat resemble their human's look. So what do you think about this "smart" titan in the first episode

and this guy eh?

Reiner is shifty as heck lately don't you think?

So I did some pondering and wonder what you guys think about this theory:

So far the two "human" titans we've seen so far somewhat resemble their human's look. So what do you think about this "smart" titan in the first episode

and this guy eh?

Reiner is shifty as heck lately don't you think?

Good catch. The Female Titan and Reiner thing and now this thing with Ymir. Wonder what that is all about. Is she the Giant Titan (the one that actually kicked the wall) since she is also the tallest? But there is also the wall titans thing.

phoony17

So I may be a little slow but I'm assuming the scene where
Connie hears his mum's voice that the titan collapsed in his house was his mum??? Which means that titans are just forming from normal humans? Not including the special titans of course.

Connie hears his mum's voice that the titan collapsed in his house was his mum??? Which means that titans are just forming from normal humans? Not including the special titans of course.

Either his mom or his sister. And yeah, the whole scene there pretty much leads to that. Ep 28 Spoiler:
The squad captain commented that there were no blood everywhere and the village horses were still at their stable. They are still in denial at this point.

Good catch. The Female Titan and Reiner thing and now this thing with Ymir. Wonder what that is all about. Is she the Giant Titan (the one that actually kicked the wall) since she is also the tallest? But there is also the wall titans thing.

I think Ymir is in a different faction than Reiner and Annie, as she hangs out with Krista, and not Annie/Reiner gang. Whatever Reiner and Ymir talked about this episode might change this (hope they show it next episode).

In terms of look, I think Connie might be the XL Titan ("Giant Titan" as you call it), because they are both bald-ish, but the recent characterization/background don't agree. He's really dumb, and nothing like an end-all boss, so in the end I'm not sure who the XL titan is... :p

InsaneMonkey

Neo Member
I think Ymir is in a different faction than Reiner and Annie, as she hangs out with Krista, and not Annie/Reiner gang. Whatever Reiner and Ymir talked about this episode might change this (hope they show it next episode).

In terms of look, I think Connie might be the XL Titan ("Giant Titan" as you call it), because they are both bald-ish, but the recent characterization/background don't agree. He's really dumb, and nothing like an end-all boss, so in the end I'm not sure who the XL titan is... :p

I'm thinking Krista is some kind of evil(?) goddess titan who has forgotten her memories - Ymir knows this and is protecting her and is a titan herself which would explain the creepy talking titan.
Do the priests worship Krista? What could be more important than humanity's survival?
Perhaps Krista has the power to turn titans into humans if it's heavily implied that humans can turn into titans.
Unsure of how any of this is related to the wall titans though...
As for the XL Titan I don't think it necessarily has to be a character that we've been introduced to yet

I'm thinking Krista is some kind of evil(?) goddess titan who has forgotten her memories - Ymir knows this and is protecting her and is a titan herself which would explain the creepy talking titan.
Do the priests worship Krista? What could be more important than humanity's survival?
Perhaps Krista has the power to turn titans into humans if it's heavily implied that humans can turn into titans.
Unsure of how any of this is related to the wall titans though...
As for the XL Titan I don't think it necessarily has to be a character that we've been introduced to yet

Priest Nick says Krista is a "supervisor/overseer" sent to overlook them by a "higher will," (Thanks @Silent_Ocarina for correcting me)

According to Priest Nick, the "higher will" ordered the Wall-cult/church to monitor Krista, so technically the church doesn't worship her directly? Krista did mention about her family background being somewhat special, so that might be related to the "higher will". We know basically nothing about her or her family. (^. <

Also Reiner is holding something gold in color when he's super-shocked talking to Ymir, so... I guess that's related to what they're talking about?

Is Eren about to wreck shit in the next episode?

Dunno. He has to arrive at the castle area first, but judging by how the preview is focused on the castle fight + Reiner, I say he won't be fighting this coming episode.

Also in the Season 2 trailers (according to scenes not yet aired):
The Eren vs. Armored titan fight is during sunrise/when it's bright out, and I say we still have a few more episodes until daylight

theWB27

Priest Nick says Krista is a "supervisor/overseer" sent to overlook them by a "higher will", so technically the church doesn't worship her directly? Krista did mention about her family background being somewhat special, so that might be related to the "higher will". We know basically nothing about her or her family. (^. <

Also Reiner is holding something gold in color when he's super-shocked talking to Ymir, so... I guess that's related to what they're talking about?

Dunno. He has to arrive at the castle area first, but judging by how the preview is focused on the castle fight + Reiner, I say he won't be fighting this coming episode.

Also in the Season 2 trailers (according to scenes not yet aired):
The Eren vs. Armored titan fight is during sunrise/when it's bright out, and I say we still have a few more episodes until daylight

I can roll with that. episodes have been legit so far.

Brakke

Banned
I feel so lost right now. Since when Titans can't move at night? Did that ever come up before? It's been a little while, but I watched the series twice before and can't remember anything like that. Who even the hell are Ymir and Crista? I don't remember them at all from training...

This is the most frustrating show. That whole business with Sasha last episode was great and melodramatic in a way I'm a sucker for, but now here we are back to just shoveling mysteries on mysteries and accomplishing nothing. Can't believe they even still acknowledge the basement. You dropped the ball and dragged that out crazy long already, how can anybody possibly care. I wish it would just abandon the lore shit and do an anthology of one-off episodes focusing on soldiers putting it all on the line and doing noble sacrifices and having existential crises and shit. That aspect of the show is so much better than the other it's not even funny.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Mythology is actually my favorite part of Attack on Titan.

He/they do a great job at world building.

Erigu

I feel so lost right now. Since when Titans can't move at night? Did that ever come up before?
Yep. Mentioned when Hans talks about the two titans they had captured and the experiments they did on them.

Who even the hell are Ymir and Crista? I don't remember them at all from training...
And yet they were there.

now here we are back to just shoveling mysteries on mysteries and accomplishing nothing.
What the fuck.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I feel so lost right now. Since when Titans can't move at night? Did that ever come up before? It's been a little while, but I watched the series twice before and can't remember anything like that. Who even the hell are Ymir and Crista? I don't remember them at all from training...

This is the most frustrating show. That whole business with Sasha last episode was great and melodramatic in a way I'm a sucker for, but now here we are back to just shoveling mysteries on mysteries and accomplishing nothing. Can't believe they even still acknowledge the basement. You dropped the ball and dragged that out crazy long already, how can anybody possibly care. I wish it would just abandon the lore shit and do an anthology of one-off episodes focusing on soldiers putting it all on the line and doing noble sacrifices and having existential crises and shit. That aspect of the show is so much better than the other it's not even funny.
Krista was there; she saved Sasha some food when Sasha was forced to skip meals and run during training, was number 10 in their class, and the one who guided Jean's horse back to him after the Female Titan killed Armins horse and spooked Jeans.

Ymir was there too, always with Krista during training, neither getting a lot of speaking lines though.

The hibernation during night time thing was also in season 1. They had 2 titans in captivity that they were experimenting on and depriving them of sunlight made 1 shut down after 1 hour without sunlight while the other one took 3. Hange theorized that since they shut down at night, didn't have a digestive track, and were killing humans for sport instead of subsistence that maybe they were powered by sunlight.

I honestly wouldn't have remembered most of what I just posted if I hadn't just rewatched the first season this past weekend though.

Brakke

Banned
The hibernation during night time thing was also in season 1. They had 2 titans in captivity that they were experimenting on and depriving them of sunlight made 1 shut down after 1 hour without sunlight while the other one took 3. Hange theorized that since they shut down at night, didn't have a digestive track, and were killing humans for sport instead of substinence that maybe they were powered by sunlight.

Oh shit yeah I remember that. I was thinking of that move where Armin has all the cadets on an elevator with guns to draw Titan attention while a second squad kills the Titans. That scene happens in the dark, torchlit, but I just went back to check and it was just inside; they step out into the sunlight after.

Priest Nick says Krista is a "supervisor/overseer" sent to overlook them by a "higher will", so technically the church doesn't worship her directly? Krista did mention about her family background being somewhat special, so that might be related to the "higher will". We know basically nothing about her or her family. (^. <

Slight correction. Nick says the "higher will" told them to monitor Krista, not the other way around.

HardRojo

Wow great episode, something is going on with Ymir and Reiner...

Yep, those two are definitely full of it if this episode is anything to go by. It was weird how quick he was at disregarding Connie's question about the Titan speaking.

Also, glad to see people are avoiding manga talk now, I appreciate being able to come back to this thread.

That Krista girl has some sort of super powers I think, didn't she make the sun come out when she retrieved the horses last season?, now someone wished they had some moonlight and just like that the moon came out of the clouds. Plot thickens.

Still so much nothing going on. And just 12 episodes total...
When I read something like this, it seems like some fans just want to see that titan v titan boxing matches

Like almost the entire squad who I didn't give a fuck about that graduated other than Sasha, Jean and the main 3 are all suspicious AF. Bertolt and Ryaner seem to know who the beast Titan is? Or recognize something wrong? The lil blondie might be royalty? Clearly important and knows important information possibly related to Titans? Myr sent to either defend her, kill her, personal reason .. who the hell knows. All four of these characters are set up under the suspect AF list. On top of that, we found out people can turn into basic bitch Titans through Connie's eyes. We got Sasha's backstory. Titans are appearing with the walls not even being broken. On top of that there is a Titan human that can speak in titan form and control titans at will (presuming he's the one turning people into titans). Religious priests know a lot more about titans but are unwilling to talk about it even if it means they get killed. Annie's ice can stay away from her and not disintegrate. Might be a way to get Eren to do the same ish and close a broken wall.

This is in 3 episodes everyone. Aka nothinghappened.gif. Season 1 of AoT had pretty much the greatest start to anime I've ever seen (first 5 episodes), so maybe expectations are a little too high atm for some people. :\

Anyways, this season seems to build a lot more in terms of mystery, world building and suspense compared to season 1. There's so many fucking questions at the moment, you don't know what to think of it all. Even the music fits that theme, creepy and unknowing. Definitely a different style compared to season 1.

I do hope that we get two big slug fests happening this season though. It looks like Colossus and Armor vs Eren will happen this season just based on the opening. Hoping we get that and maybe Eren vs Beast Titan. Though I get the feeling they are going to leave it as a cliffhanger on whatever BT will do and the focus will be Colossus and Armor. Hope we get a big fight ep 6-7 and another 11-12. :\

Also at the current anime state we are now (3 episodes in season 2) what's Eren's status? Is he absolved or still on probation? is the case just abjourned and he might be very well still be declared guilty and be sent for execution? Is he now legally part of the Survey Corps or is his situation in a weird limbo because of the stuff that's happening? Does that mofo still have to prove his innocence?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Also at the current anime state we are now (3 episodes in season 2) what's Eren's status? Is he absolved or still on probation? is the case just abjourned and he might be very well still be declared guilty and be sent for execution? Is he now legally part of the Survey Corps or is his situation in a weird limbo because of the stuff that's happening? Does that mofo still have to prove his innocence?
Adjourned for now cause of Annie. At the end of season 1 Armin says the summons of the scout regiment and eren to the capital was put on hold and then season 2 begins during the season 1 ending (Crystal Annie's transportation and the end of Erwin's meeting with the town leaders) so not much time if any has passed between seasons.

Ep 28

Well, this has been more a setup episode, unlike the previous two who felt more like standalones, this one is just the first part of something bigger, episode 29 and maybe 30 will finish it.

The most interesting part were the mysteries they are starting to tease around. Things like where the attacking titans are coming if there is no hole, the intention of the Beast titan crossing the wall, the relation of the religious cult with the blond girl,, the mention of her family, Ymir's relation with her too, etc.
That said the night moment with the dude fearing encountering a titan suddenly was pretty cool.

BigAl1992

It's his mother. I won't say anymore as I read the manga, but you'll find out for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom