• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan Season 2 |OT| NO MANGA TALK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
So there's no longer any room for doubt that Reiner is fishy as fuck right? (This is the guy that got clenched by Titan Annie and survived right?)

Geg

Yeah, the "nothing's happening" stuff makes no sense. The conversations and reveals/hints in this ep were clearly important.

I am. I've never read the manga and hope I never have to.

I really hope they can go ahead and animate the next season sooner after this, like maybe the Winter or Spring 2018 season, just so there's not another big gap. Part of the reason I think they might have only gone for 12 episodes this time is that the the arc that happens after this doesn't really work well as the second half of a 24~26 episode season; it would get completely overshadowed by the first half. If that's the case, I don't see what would hold them back from animating it soon after this season ends.

Such a better episode this week than last week.

Can't believe it took me so long to figure out that Titan in the house was probably villager I had figured it was thrown into the house for some reason..

Finally we are getting some damn reveals

didn't make that connection buyt I very much enjoy the mystery

I hope the payoff is good

Jigolo

can someone explain what the complete darkness was? some tunnel? I don't understand what happened after they left Connys town

Xbro

That ending got me hyped for things to come.

can someone explain what the complete darkness was? some tunnel? I don't understand what happened after they left Connys town

I think it was just that the clouds covered the moon.

A person is actually complaining that nothing is happening?Are you sure you're watching the right anime? Like, three or four different things happened this episode and that's all I can remember right now. I need to rewatch it to digest everything. Seems like things are moving really fast now!

Episode 28 spoiler:
What was that thing with Ymir and Reiner about? He was fishy as fuck with the way he just dismissed Conny too after Conny heard the Titan speak.

kirblar

TBF this section of the manga is slow and boring as shit. I'm not surprised by the complaints. The fact the anime is similar is not surprising.
It's the AoT version of "Lower Decks" where they finally flesh out the rest of the supporting cast. Unfortunately, I kinda expected these reactions- this stuff IS important, but the moment focus goes off the main trio people start complaining like crazy.

The main Attack on Titan theme is so fucking great, or ətˈæk 0N tάɪtn I should say, because Sawano is an asshole when it comes to naming music lol

Geg

I want to suggest to anyone who's anime-only and hasn't done it yet to watch the Isle's Notebook OVA.

Erigu

I want to suggest to anyone who's anime-only and hasn't done it yet to watch the Isle's Notebook OVA.
"Hey, that short story is pretty important, we could probably put it in a pre-opening credits sequence during the Trost battle.
-Nah, let's just ruin the pacing even further by adding some filler there instead. And we'll turn that important short story into an OVA people might miss. Oh, and it's too short as it is, so we'll come up with a bunch of useless filler for that, too!"

Why is their studio called "Wit", again?

This episode is pretty badly animated: so many stills, featureless faces on panorama shots, cgi pans... Hopefully we won't see this kind of drop in quality again.

Story-wise, this is definitely set up for bigger reveals. Just wished Connie has gotten more focus like Sasha last episode... More action next episode as the crew defend themselves from titans...

There are also quite a few time jumps, but it seems like the two time frames (Eren side and rest of the 104 crew side) finally caught up with each other. Let's hope Eren+crew reaches there in time before beast titan is gone!
-----

Some discussion as an anime-only watcher:
So there are at least 3 enemy factions at play here?
1) Annie+Wall breachers (armored titan + XL titan)
2) Krista+"higher up/bigger forces" (with wall cult as lackeys- revealed by Priest Nick this episode)
3) Beast titan -- doesn't know about 3D maneuver, and seemingly could convince/control titans by speech.

turmoil

Banned
I've forgotten lots of stuff from this arc so I'm enjoying the episodes so far.

The rough edges in the animation are noticeable but I hope this means the action packed episodes will get top notch animation.

Jigolo

Well damn they are doing a great job at keeping the tension up. I feel like I'm facing the titans too lol. This is one of the only shows where I am super excited for each piece of information we receive in this ongoing titan mystery

Moaradin

It's the AoT version of "Lower Decks" where they finally flesh out the rest of the supporting cast. Unfortunately, I kinda expected these reactions- this stuff IS important, but the moment focus goes off the main trio people start complaining like crazy.

Give me more of this please. These last few episodes that flesh out the supporting cast is way more interesting than Eren screaming about how he wants to kill all the titans over and over again.

IKizzLE

I'm fully caught up on the manga and I am loving the anime so far. I can't believe people are saying nothing is going on? What constitutes something going on? Titan battles every episode? Come on son.

Hellraider

I'm getting extremely tired of the vocal sections of Sawano's tracks. It would be fine if it weren't the exact same shit like another dozen of hits tracks. In AoT I mostly really like the soundtrack but there are some times that I get really annoyed by it.

Anyway, another more than great episode. So much interesting and important stuff is (and will be) happening, can't wait for more!

Cyrano

It's not really. It's the same problem all artificially elongated stories get into. Nothing for the main characters to do without actually progressing the storyline, author can't think of how to do that, so side characters magically become "relevant" and need to get full backstories before they unceremoniously disappear from the story when the author figures out how to move the story forward again. All in all, AoT has about five characters that need fleshing out, and they've all pretty much been fleshed out. After that, it's basically stalling (though the reality is this is true of most stories - I can recall maybe five characters from Game of Thrones and really remember next to nothing about the rest of the cast, in spite of the cast being FAR larger than that).

And of course the other problem of just having way too many characters in general though that's pretty much expected of anything adapted from LNs or manga.

TBF this section of the manga is slow and boring as shit. I'm not surprised by the complaints. The fact the anime is similar is not surprising.

Don't tease them XD
Fans might end jumping ship next season with the adaptation of the next arc if they find these episodes boring.

Anyways, you guys should hold on, we are definitely (and slowly) getting into the good parts of the arcs and then it goes hyper drive until episode 12.

kirblar

It's not really. It's the same problem all artificially elongated stories get into. Nothing for the main characters to do without actually progressing the storyline, author can't think of how to do that, so side characters magically become "relevant" and need to get full backstories before they unceremoniously disappear from the story when the author figures out how to move the story forward again. All in all, AoT has about five characters that need fleshing out, and they've all pretty much been fleshed out. After that, it's basically stalling (though the reality is this is true of most stories - I can recall maybe five characters from Game of Thrones and really remember next to nothing about the rest of the cast, in spite of the cast being FAR larger than that).

And of course the other problem of just having way too many characters in general though that's pretty much expected of anything adapted from LNs or manga.
This show and Manga are not artificially elongated. You are not watching TWD. The Mangas past the halfway point and there is a definitive ending planned.

Cyrano

This show and Manga are not artificially elongated. You are not watching TWD. The Mangas past the halfway point and there is a definitive ending planned.
I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying there's a lot more given than is necessary to easily understand what's going on (and that the unnecessary obfuscation is intentional). It's a similar issue for a lot of horror writing, where a single character just remembering a detail or telling somebody something would easily resolve a lot of problems.

DarkKyo

I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying there's a lot more given than is necessary to easily understand what's going on (and that the unnecessary obfuscation is intentional). It's a similar issue for a lot of horror writing, where a single character just remembering a detail or telling somebody something would easily resolve a lot of problems.

The pacing is fine, if you're looking for instant gratification then you might want to stop watching now. Attack on Titan is a series that unravels its mysteries very naturally.

Another great episode. I like how for every little answer you get to a mystery it just creates more questions, but the answers are still satisfying enough as is. I feel like the mythology is about to get a lot deeper. Not only are there interesting questions around the titans and the wall but a lot more characters are getting good moments to shine. The opening scene with Connie was hard to watch.

I feel like I say this every post but the music is so damn good.

Cyrano

Wut? It is important.
Because...? Very few of the side characters have impact to the larger story. In fact many of them are red shirts.
... What the hell are you talking about, now?

(please don't reply here if manga spoilers are involved)
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FridgeLogic
The pacing is fine, if you're looking for instant gratification then you might want to stop watching now. Attack on Titan is a series that unravels its mysteries very naturally.
I don't really think they're natural so much as expected. Which is why they don't have much impact.

I'm getting extremely tired of the vocal sections of Sawano's tracks. It would be fine if it weren't the exact same shit like another dozen of hits tracks. In AoT I mostly really like the soundtrack but there are some times that I get really annoyed by it.

Anyway, another more than great episode. So much interesting and important stuff is (and will be) happening, can't wait for more!

I feel like I am playing XCX. He is a one cord pony.

Erigu

Because...?
What? Have you even seen the episode? What?

That doesn't answer my question at all, but okay...

I still can't tell if you've read the manga or are looking in some crystal ball, but either way... well, you're wrong?

I don't really think they're natural so much as expected. Which is why they don't have much impact.
I guess not just anybody can write completely unexpected twists like Damon Lindelof or Urasawa Naoki. You sure can't see them coming when they don't make sense!

Yoda

Some discussion as an anime-only watcher:
So there are at least 3 enemy factions at play here?
1) Annie+Wall breachers (armored titan + XL titan)
2) Krista+"higher up/bigger forces" (with wall cult as lackeys- revealed by Priest Nick this episode)
3) Beast titan -- doesn't know about 3D maneuver, and seemingly could convince/control titans by speech.

I'd combine 1 and 3.

Cyrano

PSA: Please don't argue with Erigu. It's not worth your time.
I'll take that advice to heart. Thanks.

I agree that the music for this series continues to be fantastic (it's a big part of what drew me into the series). The sound design is very clean and fluid too.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Are not a lot of people watching the new season? This thread is pretty small and I can't say that I've seen much discussion elsewhere besides this thread.

Hopefully it does well but it kind of seems like a lot of the momentum they got from season 1 died out.

Kaizer

Banned
Are not a lot of people watching the new season? This thread is pretty small and I can't say that I've seen much discussion elsewhere besides this thread.

Hopefully it does well but it kind of seems like a lot of the momentum they got from season 1 died out.

That's the kind of thing that happens when you wait nearly four years to bring a show back and then only do 12 episodes after all that time. As a fan of the overall story & someone who's read ahead in the manga, I'm happy to have AoT back but there's no denying that he huge delay had an impact on the viewership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom