• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan Season 2 |OT| NO MANGA TALK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mediking

Gotta appreciate how Mikasa immediately goes for the throat. Look at Bertholdt there, dude almost died

She's so awesome. Lol Mikasa is legit...

I REALLY dont know they expect me to feel sorry for Reiner and Be. Those guys have killed humans. They better have an amazing backstory or...

That was one of my favorite reveals in anime in years, get out of here with that shit. In fact, I don't even remember such a crazy fucking reveal happening in such a ridiculously casual manner lol

Amazing episode. It feels almost tragic that there's only 12 episodes and we have to wait two years for more.

Sawano has also created one of the best OSTs ever for an anime, Jesus Christ. The first season has one of the most hype OSTs ever, and he turned it around in season 2 to give a totally different vibe with the mistique, tension and confusion. Still hoping to hear some more of that tunn tunn.. tunn tunn.. tunn tunn...!!! music to pop in when Eren is fighting though.
I had no idea Sawano did the score for AoT until tonight when I heard echoes of Kill La Kill and Xenoblade X in the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Burfx9BKZm0
If you go back and look at the second ending of season 1 there's a point(24 seconds in) where it shows all the (then) unknown titan shifters on one side of the wall.. except Historia, who based on the evidence and her attitude in the show is neither enemy nor titan shifter.

Going through the first season, there are a lot of tells similar to this.
Once all the answers are known rewatching this series is going to be a completely different experience. This show as a whole has so much potential right now, season 2 has been excellent.

I love how the show emulated the out-of-nowhere and inappropriately casual nature of the reveal in the manga. When I first read that page I had to double back in shock to make sure my eyes weren't fucking with me.

They pretty much nailed the adaptation of that chapter, not at all disappointed. And this is the tip of the iceberg, you guys are going to get hit by some mind-blowing reveals, though most of them will likely be in seasons 3 and 4.

That was an awesome episode. Loved it!

I'm an Anime only watcher and unfrotunately the identity of the Armoured and Colossal Titans were spoilt for me during Season 1. I remember Manga readers were dropping heavy hints in the Anime topic back in 2013 trying to disguise as speculating. Then stupidly I read YouTube comments and it was spoilt further. Scene could have been even more amazing had I not known about this but would mean abstaining from the internet altogether! Regardless it was still an awesome scene and made me feel tense.

One thing and I'm sure not a lot will agree with me but I really dislike Mikasa. She comes across as a Mary Sue. When she's around the team there's usually not much to worry about as the Titans become less of a threat. I feel like she has this aura of invincibility around her more so than the main character at times! It would be interesting to at least see her bested at times or come across vulenrable when the siutation calls for it rather than being perfect. Heck even Reiner has been found in vulenrabe siutations such as the Titan encounter in the tower or captured by the Female Titan and he's the freaking Armoured Titan. Makes her character boring I feel.

Holden

i don't understand why would they do some parts in CGI?

does it cost less money?

do people actually like it?

it just looks awful to me, i am so confused

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
They did the reveal soooo fucking good. I knew it was coming since I'm a dirty manga reader but that was masterfully done.

kirblar

i don't understand why would they do some parts in CGI?

does it cost less money?

do people actually like it?

it just looks awful to me, i am so confused
CGI animation is normal to help with complicated stuff that would be really hard to do by hand. This is just a really bad implementation of it.

The reveal was really well done - even better than in the manga mainly thanks to the music. The only bad thing was the terrible 3D for the Collosal Titan.

Gotta say, I'm surprised at how many people in this thread didn't suspect Bertholdt and Reiner. It was really obvious after the Annie reveal.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The reveal was really well done - even better than in the manga mainly thanks to the music. The only bad thing was the terrible 3D for the Collosal Titan.

Gotta say, I'm surprised at how many people in this thread didn't suspect Bertholdt and Reiner. It was really obvious after the Annie reveal.

I mean, as a manga reader, you pick up on all the clues they put in there. I wonder if I would've noticed those if I hadn't read the manga and knew it was coming.

TarNaru33

Banned
That's a good way to look at it. I was thinking more in terms of the colossal titan actually appearing in this manner, when I thought he would be an end-game type of reveal or one of the last mysteries we'll uncover. Actually, it being revealed so early is really exciting, since their's even more questions and mysteries now.

Btw, anyone finds it odd that two episodes ago, Reiner was acting all scared when blocking the door against that titan? Like what was the point of all that if he can just heal up after the fact? They even hint at the event again this episode.

I think she just hesitated because she wasn't 100% sure yet? I don't think she was close enough to hear what Reiner was saying back there.

Edit: Actually she was aiming for Bertholdt's neck. Not sure what happened there.

Yeah, she must of hesitated, no reason to not be able to get a clean cut.

Also at what you asked above, I think there are 3 reasons to that

1. Titan shifters can not fully transform if their body is obstructed by surroundings.
2. They did not want to blow their cover and it seems like Reiner has some form of control over his healing (stopping it from healing while Christa/Historia treated his arm).
3. They can still be overwhelmed by regular Titans and unlike Annie who escaped by 3D gear, he had no such thing or horses.

I assumed that without the momentum of being flying thanks to the spiderman machine cutting is harder.

That makes some sense and she did seem to attack in a way that she fights Titans, but still it is just hard to believe a blade that sharp and durable could not do it if she meant to kill them.

I had their identities spoilt for me years ago thanks to me being an idiot and googling Colossal Titan. But that reveal was still done well I thought, a little unconventional. And Mikasa just ready to go for the kill was awesome.

I mean, as a manga reader, you pick up on all the clues they but in there. I wonder if I would've noticed those if I hadn't read the manga and knew it was coming.

I called it after I finished season 1, which was before I even started checking out the manga. For me it felt really obvious.

After the Annie reveal in the anime, I went back and looked at the cast for any more possible Titans, and Bertholdt and Reiner instantly stood out with how similar they both looked to the Collosal and Armored Titan.

The only thing that surprised me in the manga was the way it was casually revealed, not the reveal itself.

I called it after I finished season 1, which was before I even started checking out the manga. For me it felt really obvious.

After the Annie reveal in the anime, I went back and looked at the cast for any more possible Titans, and Bertholdt and Reiner instantly stood out with how similar they both looked to the Collosal and Armored Titan.

The only thing that surprised me in the manga was the way it was casually revealed, not the reveal itself.

Yeah i was blindsided but thats because I didnt go back

once the seed is planted in your head rewatching the first season is insane

You give these guys a pass before for acting suspiciously because the circumstances are so chaotic but holy shit its all there

Shiver

You give these guys a pass before for acting suspiciously because the circumstances are so chaotic but holy shit its all there

this is from episode 3. talking about the armored titan and just casually switching the view to reiner.

SilentAliveHarborporpoise-size_restricted.gif

I called it after I finished season 1....

Haha I showed my brother season 1 a while back and after the Annie reveal episode he called R&B. When I asked why he said 'well one's blonde and muscular and one's tall.'
I scoffed and said 'uhhh I think there's probably a little more to it than that!' but it's pretty hilarious in retrospect that he was spot on and that those were really the only clues you needed.

Haha I showed my brother season 1 a while back and after the Annie reveal episode he called R&B. When I asked why he said 'well one's blonde and muscular and one's tall.'
I scoffed and said 'uhhh I think there's probably a little more to it than that!' but it's pretty hilarious in retrospect that he was spot on and that those were really the only clues you needed.
I think those are the more obvious features they share, however, if you look closely, you can see facial similarities between Reiner and Bertholdt and their Titan versions.

vareon

The reveal was handled pretty much exactly as I hoped, loved it.

A lot of my friends hated this reveal because of how nonchalantly it was, but in a series that used to overdramatize the simplest thing, this was great lol.

D_psipher

The second OP had this:

F5KkYHt.gif

I remember manga readers being a little peeved at this. Just a little.

Yeah the animators have been dropping crazy hints. I think it also caught people off guard because the Ymir reveal just happened. No one was expecting another reveal so soon. And two at that.

LOL, some of the reactions to the reveal on YouTube are priceless. I'd highly recommend watching a few.

It really is. Tons of clues everywhere!

What's funny is that, before the reveal in the manga, there was literally only one (documented English-speaking) person on the internet speculating that Reiner and Bertholdt were the Armored and Colossal Titan--some random poster on the mangahelpers forums.

Being on-model and in color really helped the anime in this regard. Bad and inconsistent art meant that those three kids having cryptic background panel meetings could have been anybody and Reiner looking like the Armored Titan meant jackshit.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I'm only a casual viewer so the reveal had me shook
fucking love the way they did it too

Wvrs

This show is impossible to watch week-by-week and I've read the manga! Wish the episodes were a bit longer. Reveal in the last episode was done very well though, loved watching it with my housemates who have only just discovered the series, they didn't even process what was happening at first.

Macka

I just watched the latest episode. Holy fucking shit.

As an anime-only watcher who somehow managed to avoid spoilers all these years, this totally blew me away. I mean, I did initially have suspicions of Reiner being the Armored Titan back when Season 1 was airing based on nothing more than them sharing the same hair cut, but I'd pretty much put that theory to rest as a misdirect, especially after the last few episodes showed him to be such a likeable dude with saving Connie and his comment about wanting to marry Christa.

More than anything, and I'm sure many people have said this in the thread already - the way it was revealed was mindblowing. I had to pause and skip back a few seconds to make sure I hadn't somehow missed something. Before the flashback that cleared everything up, I was shocked and disappointed - these are THE titans. The ones responsible for Eren's mothers death (among others), and THIS is how you reveal it? But now I'm sitting here thirty minutes later and I've rewatched that scene like five times already. Damn, it's chilling.

I'm an anime only viewer and with all the hints being revealed in the previous season in the OP and ED, it makes you wonder about the current ED. There has to be tons of hints in there. You can see the wall titans lining up, etc. Also, The titans seem to be created from nothing?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I'm an anime only viewer and with all the hints being revealed in the previous season in the OP and ED, it makes you wonder about the current ED. There has to be tons of hints in there.
Can't wait to find out what the fuck this is all about.

Opening-Attack-on-Titan-Shingeki-no-Kyojin-Season-2-Episode-1-SS-5.jpg

DarkKyo

I'm an anime only viewer and with all the hints being revealed in the previous season in the OP and ED, it makes you wonder about the current ED. There has to be tons of hints in there. You can see the wall titans lining up, etc.

Not going to speak to the actual content of the new ending sequence, but the stuff that's in there relates to stuff that the anime won't get to for at least another season or two. Only reason they can get away with it is because it's so far out that there are zero clues to its context in the anime so far. I wouldn't even read into it too much because I'd be hard-pressed to call anything in that ED sequence "spoilers" because its designed to be extremely vague, but you're definitely on the right track in looking for clues in there.

pbayne

Lol that conversation was as odd as i remembered it.
Wit is knocking it out of the park for this season. Music in the final scene gave me goosebumps.

Not going to speak to the actual content of the new ending sequence, but the stuff that's in there relates to stuff that the anime won't get to for at least another season or two. Only reason they can get away with it is because it's so far out that there are zero clues to its context in the anime so far. I wouldn't even read into it too much because I'd be hard-pressed to call anything in that ED sequence "spoilers" because its designed to be extremely vague, but you're definitely on the right track in looking for clues in there.
The current ED seems to be done in those story book format you see in other movies and properties (like in Harry Potter and the three brothers).

DarkKyo

The current ED seems to be done in those story book format you see in other movies and properties (like in Harry Potter and the three brothers).

That makes it even more creepy due to the content its representing lol, pretty sure there's a scene in there where flesh is stretching and ripping apart.. but it's okay to show because the story book look lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom