• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan Season 2 |OT| NO MANGA TALK

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was no buildup, no real connection to anything in the rest of the season, and the show just comes out and says it so plainly with Eren barely reacting and then it backtracks to the tension-building part through flashbacks?

It's a good thing the transformation scene was so amazing, because the reveal itself might be the worst I've ever seen.

Brakke

Banned
Honestly surprised so many people were surprised about Reiner and Bert. I thought it was obvious way back in the first season. I thought the casualness here was a nice acknowledgement that "yeah it's just time to admit this and stop pretending you don't know".

There was no buildup, no real connection to anything in the rest of the season, and the show just comes out and says it so plainly with Eren barely reacting and then it backtracks to the tension-building part through flashbacks?

It's a good thing the transformation scene was so amazing, because the reveal itself might be the worst I've ever seen.

Were you not paying attention? They've been dropping hints along on their IDs.

jediyoshi

"Hey man I wanna talk to you about something...

So yeah I am the armored titan, he's the colossal titan. Wanna join our team? K cool let's get outta here."

LMAO!

Yeah, not only that but it's initially treated as a background conversation to another one altogether. There's something refreshing about them deconstructing stereotypical giant anime reveals by going the furthest opposite direction possible.

Also just glancing at reaction videos, it's amazing how many people completely glance over "Five years ago, we demolished the wall and began our attack on humanity".

IKizzLE

No buildup?!? No real connection to the rest of the season?
Lmao...bruh, there was literally 2 seasons worth of hints building up to this point. Are you watching the same anime as I am? And if you don't know why Eren acted the way he did when he first heard it, then I am convinced that we are watching two entirely different shows.

Floody

Honestly surprised so many people were surprised about Reiner and Bert. I thought it was obvious way back in the first season. I thought the casualness here was a nice acknowledgement that "yeah it's just time to admit this and stop pretending you don't know".

I was surprised, but that's mostly because I barely remember season 1, will probably rewatch and see how many hints I can pick up on.

Brakke

Banned
If nothing else, both Reiner and Armor Titan are the only beings in this entire universe who have that blonde Caesar cut lol.

ReinerBraun.png

latest

I think I got it when Female Titan did Annie's combat stance. Also Female Titan didn't pursue Reiner after his little escape. I thought they were from different factions tho, but at least she recognized that they were both Titans opposed to the walled city. Reiner slashing a note into her palm was a slick reveal.

Also just glancing at reaction videos, it's amazing how many people completely glance over "Five years ago, we demolished the wall and began our attack on humanity".
Most of the ones I've seen all react the same way. There's a moment of confusion and then they dive right in.

It might not work on some people, but I think it's brilliant.

Kazuhira

I kind of love how low key Reiner's reveal conversation with Eren was, what a crazy direction to take that.

PSTD Reiner is the best,he didn't care about the outcome anymore.
You can tell the dude had enough of all this scheming and wanted to end it all asap.

I don't read the manga, but played the PS4 game and have a question. There were events in the game, supposedly ahead of season 1, like the beast titan.

But also
the colossal Titan,
Armored Titan and Beast Titan, all inside the wall and attacking

Is that canon, or just for the game?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I don't read the manga, but played the PS4 game and have a question. There were events in the game, supposedly ahead of season 1, like the beast titan.

But also
the colossal Titan,
Armored Titan and Beast Titan, all inside the wall and attacking

Is that canon, or just for the game?
Should probably be asking that in the manga thread cause if that is canon it hasn't happened yet in the anime.

Yeah, not only that but it's initially treated as a background conversation to another one altogether. There's something refreshing about them deconstructing stereotypical giant anime reveals by going the furthest opposite direction possible.

I thought that was amazing. I actually had to rewind, I couldn't believe I read that right. What a fucking incredible reveal.

I know people boarded the hate train during the long wait after season 1, but man this show is just so great.

Grudy

As I'm watching the reveal again, I think it's really well made. But still something feels off when I think of Bertholdt being the colossal titan which is a really iconic figure now. I don't think the author was counting on that when he thought of everything through.

DarkKyo

As I'm watching the reveal again, I think it's really well made. But still something feels off when I think of Bertholdt being the colossal titan which is a really iconic figure now. I don't think the author was counting on that when he thought of everything through.

I think that makes the Colossal/Bertholdt even cooler. Colossal Titan being the original "what-the-fuck" threat of Attack on Titan builds his character up in a way that makes you suspect the human within the Colossal is going to be either super badass or super evil, but then you find out it's the timid side character who looks like he doesn't even want to be in his position. I think it gives both the Colossal and Bertholdt so much more depth as an entity within AoT.

LotusHD

Banned
I think that makes the Colossal/Bertholdt even cooler. Colossal Titan being the original "what-the-fuck" threat of Attack on Titan builds his character up in a way that makes you suspect the human within the Colossal is going to be either super badass or super evil, but then you find out it's the timid side character who looks like he doesn't even want to be in his position. I think it gives both the Colossal and Bertholdt so much more depth as an entity within AoT.

This. It'd be easy to make him some badass dude, but this reveal makes it a lot more interesting

TarNaru33

Banned
Do anyone else feels it is off that Mikasa could not cut both their heads off with that blade? Either she purposely didn't or her blade didn't allow her to which makes no sense, because she can "easily" slice clean chunks of Titan flesh and many were shown cutting off Titan fingers.

With this said, how could she not cut off their heads unless she for some reason thought she can capture 2 titan shifters after injuring them which aides them in triggering their ability?

Grudy

That's a good way to look at it. I was thinking more in terms of the colossal titan actually appearing in this manner, when I thought he would be an end-game type of reveal or one of the last mysteries we'll uncover. Actually, it being revealed so early is really exciting, since their's even more questions and mysteries now.

Btw, anyone finds it odd that two episodes ago, Reiner was acting all scared when blocking the door against that titan? Like what was the point of all that if he can just heal up after the fact? They even hint at the event again this episode.

Do anyone else feels it is off that Mikasa could not cut both their heads off with that blade? Either she purposely didn't or her blade didn't allow her to which makes no sense, because she can "easily" slice clean chunks of Titan flesh and many were shown cutting off Titan fingers.

With this said, how could she not cut off their heads unless she for some reason thought she can capture 2 titan shifters after injuring them which aides them in triggering their ability?

I think she just hesitated because she wasn't 100% sure yet? I don't think she was close enough to hear what Reiner was saying back there.

Edit: Actually she was aiming for Bertholdt's neck. Not sure what happened there.

DarkKyo

That's a good way to look at it. I was thinking more in terms of the colossal titan actually appearing in this manner, when I thought he would be an end-game type of reveal or one of the last mysteries we'll uncover. Actually, it being revealed so early is really exciting, since their's even more questions and mysteries now.

Definitely! It also makes you think that we haven't figured out the true big baddie yet and it makes us turn to the Beast Titan as more of an end-game villain.
Btw, anyone finds it odd that two episodes ago, Reiner was acting all scared when blocking the door against that titan? Like what was the point of all that if he can just heal up after the fact? They even hint at the event again this episode.

The mindless titans seem to go after the titan shifters just as much as they go after humans, almost like they can sense that there is a human inside. Also, it would seem that Bertholdt and Reiner have been in survival mode to remain inside men, forcing them to remain in human form even when things look their most dire. My guess is they are just as scared of the threat of the mindless titans devouring them as the other humans/cadets are. The prospect of not being able to make it back to their hometown likely fills them both with dread.

Cuburt

The reveal was so casual that I literally blinked and missed it and had to rewind from when they return from the flashback and are already talking about Reiner being the Armored Titan.

Also Mikasa is always the best. She doesn't even hesitate to hack those fools while Eren stands around dumbstruck like he still can't believe what he was told after basically being clued into the fact that they were working with Annie and probably Titans 12 hours earlier. At first I thought Eren was simply playing dumb to lull them into a false sense of security, give them and out so they can spring the big trap on them, and even though it may have been partially that, Eren and everyone besides Mikasa seems to have been caught completely off guard.

Also, I don't recognize Bertolt at all. I at least remembered every other suspicious titan character and Reiner has clearly been a notable part of the recent arc but Bertolt doesn't look familiar at all. Also, what the hell happened to Jean? He was a significant part of season 1 and I don't remember seeing him at all season 2 while most all the other cadets (that I remember at least) have at least shown up for a few episodes.

The mindless titans seem to go after the titan shifters just as much as they go after humans, almost like they can sense that there is a human inside. Also, it would seem that Bertholdt and Reiner have been in survival mode to remain inside men, forcing them to remain in human form even when things look their most dire. My guess is they are just as scared of the threat of the mindless titans devouring them as the other humans/cadets are. The prospect of not being able to make it back to their hometown likely fills them both with dread.

Annie went all out during her attack, though, even leading hordes of titans behind her. I'm pretty sure Armored Titan can run through it easily, since he has strengthened skin on all the time. As long as he doesn't scream and attract attention, he should be fine.

Bertholdt/Colossal Titan (that's how you spell his name, lol), on the other hand, is so big and slow-ish, wouldn't be able to do much? He probably doesn't even have a skeleton frame (look at how he mysteriously disappear without a trace after the two initial attacks) while other human-titans leave a skeleton. He's always holding onto the wall like he's about to fall or sth. I guess we'll see him move around a bit next episode.

If their hometown is really where they specified in Season 1 ep 4 (probably not true), I guess it'll be filled with Titans too, since it's within breached area. That makes me think their hometown is somewhere outside the walls, and only with Eren/a shifter or completing their invasion can they return. Also, they probably had to stay in cover for some other objective, but at this point they don't care anymore?

The reveal was so casual that I literally blinked and missed it and had to rewind from when they return from the flashback and are already talking about Reiner being the Armored Titan.

Also Mikasa is always the best. She doesn't even hesitate to hack those fools while Eren stands around dumbstruck like he still can't believe what he was told after basically being clued into the fact that they were working with Annie and probably Titans 12 hours earlier. At first I thought Eren was simply playing dumb to lull them into a false sense of security, give them and out so they can spring the big trap on them, and even though it may have been partially that, Eren and everyone besides Mikasa seems to have been caught completely off guard.

Also, I don't recognize Bertolt at all. I at least remembered every other suspicious titan character and Reiner has clearly been a notable part of the recent arc but Bertolt doesn't look familiar at all. Also, what the hell happened to Jean? He was a significant part of season 1 and I don't remember seeing him at all season 2 while most all the other cadets (that I remember at least) have at least shown up for a few episodes.

Yeah men I agree. Where is my boy Jean? Although I'm kinda glad he isn't here cause I don't want him to die.

That was one of my favorite reveals in anime in years, get out of here with that shit. In fact, I don't even remember such a crazy fucking reveal happening in such a ridiculously casual manner lol

Amazing episode. It feels almost tragic that there's only 12 episodes and we have to wait two years for more.

Sawano has also created one of the best OSTs ever for an anime, Jesus Christ. The first season has one of the most hype OSTs ever, and he turned it around in season 2 to give a totally different vibe with the mistique, tension and confusion. Still hoping to hear some more of that tunn tunn.. tunn tunn.. tunn tunn...!!! music to pop in when Eren is fighting though.

gconsole

This. It'd be easy to make him some badass dude, but this reveal makes it a lot more interesting

It is obvius that the writer wanted to make this character like a real human being. A scared child who doesnt even want to be there in the first place. But yeah, people are so much used to the cliche that the bad guy has to be ... a bad guy.

Although I understand that the character and plot that supposed to be the main thing like revealation of Colossal Titan ( and Armored ) should be done in a more shocking and impact way than them casually approach Eren and tell him directly like that. But at this point the story has already shifted its focus to the new direction and the new ( real ) enemy has already show up. So I guess it is not hard to understand why everything look so confused, even from the character stand point. Reiner said it very clear that it doesnt matter and he doesnt even know what is right anymore.

In a way, this happen too quick compare to how everything was built up during Annie revealation. But on the other hand Im also glad it is not so cliche and feel more real and unique and it iust caught everyone off guard , like what? He just tell Eren like that? Even Bertoldt cant believe whats happen the whole time. It shows that Reiner is actually a normal human being who after spend time with Eren and friends for years , with all things that has been happening ( he was also shocked about Ymir ) he is also get to the point of becoming crazy and dont give a fuck about it anymore. I think the way he express himself and the way Bertold face look like the whold clearly explain this. It makes this show even more cool. At the end of the day everyone is just a normal human being who has their own motivation and reasons.

DarkKyo

Annie went all out during her attack, though, even leading hordes of titans behind her. I'm pretty sure Armored Titan can run through it easily, since he has strengthened skin on all the time. As long as he doesn't scream and attract attention, he should be fine.
Yeah those titans would be no match for the armored titan, but if he had to stay in human form to achieve his long term goals then I'd understand why being stuck as a human would be terrifying in that world(meaning you could become a titan to bail out but you can't right now). You also have to remember Reiner's flashback where his childhood friend gets eaten by the Ymir titan form, so he obviously has some trauma involving titans and likely doesn't want to see any of his new companions be devoured before his eyes.

Yeah those titans would be no match for the armored titan, but if he had to stay in human form to achieve his long term goals then I'd understand why being stuck as a human would be terrifying in that world(meaning you could become a titan to bail out but you can't right now). You also have to remember Reiner's flashback where his childhood friend gets eaten by the Ymir titan form, so he obviously has some trauma involving titans and likely doesn't want to see any of his new companions be devoured before his eyes.

Ah, makes sense. It would also explain his "half-baked-self" complain before transformation.

Dahbomb

I saw Reiner coming because as mentioned he shared hairstyle with the titan but I don't think anyone really saw Bert coming. He was far too low key of a character for anyone to even suspect. Hell I legit didn't even know his name until today.

Does anyone know what I'm looking at here? There are the ribcage forming on the wall in a previous cut , and then this. Is the Armored Titan on Colossal's hand? Rib cage? Was Bertholdt unable to form his full body? or since he transformed on the wall, half of his body is on the wall? ...?

Edit:
Nevermind. I think I got it. The two are facing at the crowd (Hange and Armin + other soldiers), and Colossal Titan only had his top half of his body on the wall, and Armored Titan is standing on part of his exposed spine/rib cage. Thought they were either facing Wall Maria or Wall Sina, but they were looking along the wall. I suppose Bertholdt will have to jump down after this since he can't really walk with half a body.

phoony17

Like most I was shocked at the reveal. Thought someone took the piss with the english subtitles because there was no reaction from the others at the start (pretty sure they were in ear's length). Next episode will be amazing!

Since the reveal I have been watching clips and found one where Eren transforms and is attacking other titans. Once he's gassed and the titans are eating him everyone writes him off except for Reiner and Annie(Bert standing behind them), both saying that they need to save him. Obviously wanting him for their own reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMeihVthcGI about 2:18mins in.

XAL

Like most I was shocked at the reveal. Thought someone took the piss with the english subtitles because there was no reaction from the others at the start (pretty sure they were in ear's length). Next episode will be amazing!

Since the reveal I have been watching clips and found one where Eren transforms and is attacking other titans. Once he's gassed and the titans are eating him everyone writes him off except for Reiner and Annie(Bert standing behind them), both saying that they need to save him. Obviously wanting him for their own reasons.

Nice catch.

Ugh that dub though
sick.gif

turmoil

Banned
Fucking nailed. I remember the WTF IS HAPPENING back then reading the manga. I even liked the 3D colossal titan.

I assumed that without the momentum of being flying thanks to the spiderman machine cutting is harder.

oh my god that was awesome. I fucking love this anime.

Sucks that i knew about the twist but it was still cool af. I never expected the reveal to happen so casually lol

Dahbomb

Oh shit all 3 of them in the same frame together!!!

kvpaw.gif

One thing I forgot to mention is that during Eren's monologie/flashbacks might've been the rare (if not only) time I've felt sympathy for our "supposed" MC, dem tear animations

Also really felt for Bertholdt here with tears/fear in his eyes as he gets attacked by Mikasa
My Colossal Titan can't be this cute

Cd0EfuJ.gif

turmoil

Banned
Yeah, going through old scenes is pretty hilarious now

mGVHi3L.png

Lol at Bertolt's face. Dude is nervous.

Reiner's mental breakdown made me feel bad for him, just think about having to kill the people that has become your family.

And the forgettable sidekick being the motherfucker colossus is one of the things i love the most of AoT.

tolkir

Am I the only that thought, at first, they were testing Eren to know if he was able to betray the humankind? I never thought they were those titans and going to say, 'fuck it'.
What awesome twist.

The flashback cleared me up the doubts.

Hellraider

I have always loved how pretty much the only characteristic Bertholdt has had until the moment of the reveal was that he was tall. It was genius.

This reveal is one of my favorite ones of all time. It had a good amount of hints throughout the series, even though Reiner's looks had made it pretty obvious by then, but the combination of the fucking Colossal Titan being a freaking nobody, getting revealed in a background panel that is usually meant for comic relief stuff and Reiner's breakdown made this so memorable and fun. Anime nailed the direction and the general atmosphere of the moment.
I always appreciate anti-tropey moments in anime, but this one had an especially excellent delivery.

Joni

1. That flashback was him, Bertolt and a third guy. The third guy pushed Reiner away when a Ymir-looking titan came to attack him. They had backpacks looking like they were going on a hiking trip. It was on a nondescript plateau of some sort, so it could be inside the walls or out.

Must be outside, no? They never had Titans within the walls before now according to Hange. I assume when they destroyed the wall the first time, they immediately infiltrated the city and didn't hike between those walls.

In regards to the show, a "standard" titan has never been killed without damaging the weakspot.

Of course. But it also never did get damaged and then regenerate a lot before being hit on the weakspot. We have never seen more then two to three successful attacks on a single Titan so who knows how much they can regenerate. Maybe it also takes them ages after you treat them as Ymir.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
AOT - 31

s1lkwoM.png

Congratulations! You just made it on Mikasa's shit list!

Decided to binge watch what we have of season 2 so far and my goodness every episode up to this point has been stellar.They did an excellent adaptation of Ymir and Christa's mini arc (best pairing by a mile), and the music has been on point in regards to amplifying emotions at key moments. Seriously, I haven't been on the edge of my seat like this for quite some time. Damn it feels good to have AOT back.

Those flashbacks to the first season were kinda mindblowing. It took four years but I haven't ever experienced an anime with a build up like this. Granted I don't really watch a lot of anime lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom