• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan Season 2 |OT| NO MANGA TALK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macka

That episode was incredible. Having to wait years for Season 3 is going to kill me.

Assuming it even gets animated at all. ;-;

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Who wouldn't want a yandere waifu with a six pack.

MvI0E1p.png

I really hate Mikasa.

She's a terrible character.

Her personality is literally "I really like Eren!" She has the personality of a cold potato and is about as deep as a puddle of water.

Attack on Titan excels at world building and a sense of mystery. The characters are definitely a weak point.
Levi sucks too.

Auctopus

To me Misaka is just a nice break from the whinier characters like Armin, I don't really care about her "I must protect Erin" motive - it's not like any of the characters have particularly strong motives (yet).

The breaking of the plates/pieces of Reiner's armor is so satisfying/brutal. I also have confidence from the characterization thus far that they will successfully make us sympathize with the Titan's viewpoint to at least some extent, and that makes me really excited. It speaks to a well rounded and more complicated narrative going forward.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
looooooooooooooooool

titans doing jiu jitsu, he snapped his arm off with a reverse arm bar

damn these dudes can't catch a fucking break lol

Tuck

She's a terrible character.

Her personality is literally "I really like Eren!" She has the personality of a cold potato and is about as deep as a puddle of water.

Attack on Titan excels at world building and a sense of mystery. The characters are definitely a weak point.
Levi sucks too.
Overall I agree.

Some are better than others. Jean was done quite well. Armin is alright. Reiner seems interesting. Ymir, Christa have potential.

Eren is annoying. Mikasa is bland but gets some badass points and she does have a decent backstory.

There are good characters and unfortunately quite a few flat ones.

DarkKyo

Overall I agree.

Some are better than others. Jean was done quite well.

Yeah Jean had the absolute best personal growth arc of any character in Season 1.

I think longer term other characters are done pretty well too, but there aren't many standouts in the earlier arcs of the story.

I think the most interesting characters in the anime so far are perhaps Annie and Hange. The titan shifters are great too, Reiner's inner struggle throughout this season in particular is written really well.

Just watched EP31.

OMFG

This is the best media I have experienced in my life. This is better than Lost. Every episode has me on my KNEES.

I'm FLOORED.

BizzyBum

While the MMA fight was epic I do find it hard to believe that Eren would be a master at Brazilian jiu-jitsu and also outclass Reiner in that situation, but it's anime so whatever. lol

His inner monologue rage as he slowly got up and then Reiner punching him Super Smash style was amazing. Funny how Annie was the one who effectively taught Eren how to defeat Reiner.

While the MMA fight was epic I do find it hard to believe that Eren would be a master at Brazilian jiu-jitsu and also outclass Reiner in that situation, but it's anime so whatever. lol

His inner monologue rage as he slowly got up and then Reiner punching him Super Smash style was amazing. Funny how Annie was the one who effectively taught Eren how to defeat Reiner.

I really want to see that fight between Annie and Mikasa. That was a cool standoff.

Honestly, I love the contents of this season, but I wish they would pack some more stuff into it. The pacing isn't all that great.

The manga is well ahead of the anime and there is so much ground to cover.

My favorite moment in the AoT story will likely not even be shown in this season and that makes me upset because who the hell knows when the next season will come out...

Waiting another 4 years potentially sounds like a disaster!

Dali

Eren made Reiner look like the Black Knight from Monty python and the holy grail.

I don't see why you'd assume Reiner would be the better fighter though.

I really want to see that fight between Annie and Mikasa. That was a cool standoff.
There's no way theyd write thst svene with Mikasa losing.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Yeah at best it'd be a tie with the fight. Most likely the fight will be interrupted so nobody won. I don't think they will want to declare a winner here unless there is some narrative need for it later on, say if Annie decides to uncryatalize herself haha

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
People to become animators in Japan. There is a big deficit of talent at the moment.

But, like, why wouldn't they just re-hire the same people who worked on season 2 to work on season 3? Do they go off and work on other stuff because they're not sure a season 3 is even going to happen? It's just weird that this issue seems to only affect Attack on Titan, other animes are able to keep on keepin' on.

I've seen that Annie scene on YouTube before. It was labeled as extra scene and I didn't remember seeing it in season 1. I wonder where it came from but it seems to have saved them time to animate the Eren VS Reiner bit.

Tuck

And yet he's only had 1 minute of screen time this season :(
Really? Tbh I thought he had 0 minutes of screen time, I honestly don't remember seeing him.

Honestly I thought he had died at some point until I rewatched the first season.

Joni

But, like, why wouldn't they just re-hire the same people who worked on season 2 to work on season 3? Do they go off and work on other stuff because they're not sure a season 3 is even going to happen? It's just weird that this issue seems to only affect Attack on Titan, other animes are able to keep on keepin' on.

They have to make different shows between seasons of Attack on Titan.

Eren made Reiner look like the Black Knight from Monty python and the holy grail.

I don't see why you'd assume Reiner would be the better fighter though.

There's no way theyd write thst svene with Mikasa losing.

Yeah at best it'd be a tie with the fight. Most likely the fight will be interrupted so nobody won. I don't think they will want to declare a winner here unless there is some narrative need for it later on, say if Annie decides to uncryatalize herself haha

Yeah definitely. I'm not expecting it, and part of me thinks it's better left untouched because of how strong that scene was imo, so like NetMapel said unless there's a reason to go back to it, they probably won't.

They have to make different shows between seasons of Attack on Titan.
Yeah just like with any business, they already have contacts for other shows, so unless they can hire more animators to take on more work new contracts go to the back of the line.

Eren saying "Gimmie that neck!" is the best part of this season so far.

Knew I wasn't the only one rolling at that

This has been really good so far.

I read all of this ages ago and forgot some of the minor details about the Eren v Reiner fight, but damn, it was glorious.

I remember being hyped to see Berthold come screaming off the wall in the manga, but seeing animated is something else.

Beyond this though, I don't remember what else happens. xD

turmoil

Banned
If the wages problem in animation is such a hindrance I would like animators to create independent studios and ask fans to crowdfund their projects like what happens in western countries with indie games. Naturally there are lots of problems to sort like distribution, marketing, IP, merchandising, etc.

Manga artist should try patreon-like platforms too. Fuck magazines and editors.

If the wages problem in animation is such a hindrance I would like animators to create independent studios and ask fans to crowdfund their projects like what happens in western countries with indie games. Naturally there are lots of problems to sort like distribution, marketing, IP, merchandising, etc.

Webtoons is a great site for indie manga/comic artists
Tower of God is better than most garbage published manga out there

turmoil

Banned
Webtoons is a great site for indie manga/comic artists
Tower of God is better than most garbage published manga out there

Oh yeah Tower of God is soooooo good, I stopped reading it weekly when
chirpy and fire girl? were thrown into the train
because I wanted to pile up chapters. I have to check it again.

My dream is ToG being animated, but it's impossible with the current state of the industry.

Recommended reading for everyone.

Kvik

I just caught up with #32.

So good. I had resigned myself to the fact that Eren wasn't going to win this fight, but the way he turned the table (using Annie's techniques) was glorious.

The cliffhanger was interesting, to say the least. Eren can't exactly moved out of the way without relaxing his hold on Reiner (which is something he absolutely can't do), and the Colossal titan's large amount of mass dropped from the top of the wall will practically disable the two from moving, not to mention the large amount of steam/heat dissipation from it preventing anyone from drawing near.

Can't wait for next week.

shira

I don't think hand drawn anime would be cost effective if the animators weren't making minimum wage.

Episode 32 was great, but I wish they could shorten the flashback (we already went through a majority of what was shown/happened last season), but I guess they did it so they could end in a cliffhanger. However, it was nice to see Eren learn (from Annie and his past mistakes), and the flashback really helped us show how much Eren grew. Now I understand why he's ranked 5 in 104 Cadets: in addition to a strong will, he is willing to learn and have the capacity to outfight Reiner. Also, I wonder who won: Annie or Mikasa?

No strengthened skin for Eren, I guess, or Bertholdt. That Steam attack is really underwhelming by XL/Colossal Titan, but we got that Survey Corps Attack scene :).

Also just finished everything up until Vol 10/Chapter 42 of the manga (up until Reiner and Bertholdt's transformation, basically end of last episode/Ep 31), and I must say the anime handled the scenes much better. I thought I was going to want to read more, but I can safely say that I am willing to stop at the end of this season and wait for Season 3 without spoiling myself with the manga. :p

Mendrox

It affects every anime. Making anime is horrible for the people currently. Too many series every season, too few animators, too many freelancers that will work on multiple projects, people not getting paid enough, comitees that say when they want to have a certain series produced well in advance (many months before a series Starts).

WITS also got Kabaneri Season 2 in the pipeline so it will just take some time, but I think season 3 will be end of 2018/begining of 2019. Would be enough buffer and make sense. There will surely be another recap Movie for this arc next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom