• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan Season 2 |OT| NO MANGA TALK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I wonder if there are titans in the wall whether a portion of the titan group felt the need to protect humanity and scarified themselves to build the wall
Thought I really don't know how that would even work. The wall being made of the same material as titans was such a weird twist

The ending is amazing. I assume all of it is full of spoilers (I haven't read this particular part of the manga) regarding the genesis of the world of AoT.

Jellie

The ending is amazing. I assume all of it is full of spoilers (I haven't read this particular part of the manga) regarding the genesis of the world of AoT.

It's pretty much stuff from the last
chapters, maybe
I can't remember. Plus some stuff that hasn't been in the manga yet so might show up soon if the manga author told them his plans for the story. Or it might just be filler if he didn't.

Wouldn't expect the anime to cover it this season at least.

What chapter did you get up to?

The anime adds a lot with voice acting music and animation. The manga is pretty ugly tbh. Anime takes the best positives and improves them for the most part.

Like the reveal scene in the manga was good but having Eren shriek URAGIRIMONOGA makes it better

DarkKyo

real talk is the manga as good as the anime? I cant wait another 4 years for s3

i need answers now

YES. Manga is better(just slightly) than the anime imo. This is not a popular opinion(as you can see from the posters above) but I prefer it anyways. The anime is fun to watch because of the fantastic production values and incredibly hype fights, but they change(and cheapen) some stuff for the anime that strays from the manga artist/author's original intentions in some cases. Not drastically mind you, but still enough for me to prefer the manga over the anime.

Don't get me wrong though, anime is great too, they are doing a wonderful job with it all things considered.

I say be open-minded and read the manga. The story is fantastic, the art becomes great a bit later on(but is really rough/amateur at first), and there is just something about the artist's paneling/chapter structure style that is really pleasing. What's the worst that could happen? Even if you don't enjoy the manga art at least you're still getting the story the way the author originally intended it and you can still enjoy watching the anime and seeing how they choose to tell/change the story.

I disagree vehemently that the art is ugly. A style does not have to be clean to be a solid, interesting, cogent style.

Isayamas structure and paneling is good. He makes striking moments quite often that I can visually recall in my head.

It's just the actual art isn't that great. The anime improves that drastically

DarkKyo

Isayamas structure and paneling is good. He makes striking moments quite often that I can visually recall in my head.

It's just the actual art isn't that great.
The anime improves that drastically

I mean, there are definitely cleaner, more pleasing manga styles out there, but I still disagree with this. I do agree the art isn't for everyone, but I quite like it.

Anime style is good too, but it's a cleaner and less stylized(more generic) version of the manga art really. The production values in the action scenes are what make the anime incredible to watch though. The female titan fights/sequences and the Eren/Reiner battle that just happened were a lot more exciting in the anime. Oh also the Ymir @ Utgard scene was super awesome in the anime.

edit: I guess what I'm trying to say is read the manga and watch the anime lol

Hellraider

i need answers now

It's damn great. As people already said paneling and in general they way story bits are presented is just top notch. It's really worth it to both read the manga and watch the anime.

Yonafunu

YES. Manga is better(just slightly) than the anime imo. This is not a popular opinion(as you can see from the posters above) but I prefer it anyways. The anime is fun to watch because of the fantastic production values and incredibly hype fights, but they change(and cheapen) some stuff for the anime that strays from the manga artist/author's original intentions in some cases. Not drastically mind you, but still enough for me to prefer the manga over the anime.

Don't get me wrong though, anime is great too, they are doing a wonderful job with it all things considered.

I say be open-minded and read the manga. The story is fantastic, the art becomes great a bit later on(but is really rough/amateur at first), and there is just something about the artist's paneling/chapter structure style that is really pleasing. What's the worst that could happen? Even if you don't enjoy the manga art at least you're still getting the story the way the author originally intended it and you can still enjoy watching the anime and seeing how they choose to tell/change the story.

I disagree vehemently that the art is ugly. A style does not have to be clean to be a solid, interesting, cogent style.

Examples?

And when people talk about the art being ugly I don't think they're talking about the style. The style is fine, it's simple (in a good way), a bit generic but generally pleasing. The Titans are striking no matter how many times you see them.
But Isayama's technical skills still aren't really up to par. The characters look stiff, faces can look off, things can look weird from certain angles. He's just not a great artist from a technical standpoint. He's still good at conveying motion and his action is great, but everything outside of that tends to be a bit off.

Jellie

Examples?

And when people talk about the art being ugly I don't think they're talking about the style. The style is fine, it's simple (in a good way), a bit generic but generally pleasing. The Titans are striking no matter how many times you see them.
But Isayama's technical skills still aren't really up to par. The characters look stiff, faces can look off, things can look weird from certain angles. He's just not a great artist from a technical standpoint. He's still good at conveying motion and his action is great, but everything outside of that tends to be a bit off.

The last episode of season 1 is what springs to mind regarding changes to the anime. The fight with Annie is different.

IKizzLE

i need answers now
Anime is better. The music makes a world of difference. I wish I could wipe away the knowledge I've gotten from the manga and gone in blind.

All the changes in the anime do nothing to change the actual context of the story either. Id wait for season 3 honestly, and it wont be 4 years. The fact thay the manga is in its last arc, I can easily see 3 more 12 episode seasons happening every other year.

After the last two episodes, I decided to go back and rewatch all of season 1 (and the aired episodes of season 2). It was worth it. It helped refresh my memory on a ton of details, let me catch various cameos of minor recurring characters, and see the entire story up until now in a whole new light. The entire series is great.

I did this too had no idea Nanaba was in season 1.

shira

How come the ED of the 2nd half of the first season is a walnut being thrown down the street. Did I miss something?

kirblar

How come the ED of the 2nd half of the first season is a walnut being thrown down the street. Did I miss something?
Nope. There's a lot of opaque foreshadowing in the OP/EDs that's obviously something. but that even Manga readers don't understand at this point.

jediyoshi

They went in on those pose shots this ep

28APHIY.png

v7OM1jt.png

pbayne

Bit of a weak episode. Show is definitely at its lowest when it needs to focus on characters, especially the main 3. Pretty impressive that the visuals were still quite striking, you'd forgive the staff for slacking a bit for what was essentially a cooldown breather episode but nope shit still looked fantastic.
Lol so many dumb goofy moments too
Fucking Mikasa doing a naruto run then busting out out the stupid kung-fu moves. That dude got hit with a glass bottle and his face somehow miraculously was not shredded. Super duper angry eating. Sasha chugging water for like 30 seconds. So bad its great.

xam3l

I thought the episode was great, justifiable due to circumstances and very satisfying. And It still managed to stay hype as fuck.

Soriku

I didn't think this episode was that slow. We got the aftermath of what happened, some backstory which ties in with current events and then them charging to get Eren back at the end.

Thought it was solid. I like the character focused episodes too. Not every episode has to have a mega reveal or extended action.

One thing I'll say, is that I think I need a little more depth from Eren and Mikasa going forward. It too one-note right now, for both of them. Mikasa especially.

Crocodile

*EATS AGGRESSIVELY*

I'll agree that Eren and Mikasa need more to their characters. Tenacity is all well and good but Eren needs to use his head more.

Not much to say otherwise. Song at the end was cool.

- They amputated Eren's arms...? (or he lost them when Armored ate him?) and Ymir's hands and leg, ouch. Also just noticed Reiner's missing hand.
- I suppose Bertholdt stole the 3D maneuvers from the guy he ate? and Reiner also got one from Eren or had a few they hid inside the forest?
- Slow episode, but this is making this season (structure) more and more like the Female Titan arc. Let's hope that we'll get some answers from Reiner and Bertholdt by the end.
- Hange to the rescue (with a game plan) even though she's all injured. Also did she shield Armin because she thought they needed him later or coincidental Armin Plot Armor?

Cool poses, I guess. I'm also surprised they tied up the previous cliffhanger so quickly this episode. Eren could've struggled a bit more since Eren was at an advantage last time we saw him. Can't wait for more information/scenes regarding Reiner and Bertholdt. Glad they slipped in that short snippet/teaser.

EDIT: For people who watched the preview, is it worth watching/spoiling?

After last week's spectacle I'm willing to give this week's episode a free pass, but I can't say I enjoyed it very much. They've done a great job characterizing the B-cast this season, yet I didn't care for the characterization of the main trio here at all. Eren is hotheaded and crazy determined, Mikasa is capable and extremely protective of Eren, Armin cares for his friends a lot. We knew this already. If anything, Hannes kind of stole the show.

I also noticed the animation looking kind of cheap (few frames of animation, static background characters, etc). I have seen AoT criticized for this before, so I don't know if the quality actually took a dip (which would be reasonable after they went all out last week), or I just noticed it for myself for the first time. I'm usually too swept up in the hype to pay attention.

We will probably not get any major action sequences soon, but I hope the next episode(s) will at least have more mystery and better character moments.

Kickz

Was that Mikasa memory in the manga?

B/c my God was it dumb -__-

They kind of do Mikasa a disservice by making her character as deep as "I just want to be at the side of Eren"

Kickz

- They amputated Eren's arms...? (or he lost them when Armored ate him?) and Ymir's hands and leg, ouch. Also just noticed Reiner's missing hand.
- I suppose Bertholdt stole the 3D maneuvers from the guy he ate? and Reiner also got one from Eren or had a few they hid inside the forest?
- Slow episode, but this is making this season (structure) more and more like the Female Titan arc. Let's hope that we'll get some answers from Reiner and Bertholdt by the end.
- Hange to the rescue (with a game plan) even though she's all injured. Also did she shield Armin because she thought they needed him later or coincidental Armin Plot Armor?

Cool poses, I guess. I'm also surprised they tied up the previous cliffhanger so quickly this episode. Eren could've struggled a bit more since Eren was at an advantage last time we saw him. Can't wait for more information/scenes regarding Reiner and Bertholdt. Glad they slipped in that short snippet/teaser.

EDIT: For people who watched the preview, is it worth watching/spoiling?

Yea it was fine, for the record it looks like his arms
regenerate slowly in the preview along with Ymirs

Kazuhira

Anime is better. The music makes a world of difference. I wish I could wipe away the knowledge I've gotten from the manga and gone in blind.

Listen to him/her,i totally regret it too.
I've stopped reading the manga,at least i won't know the outcome of the final arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom