• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan Season 2 |OT| NO MANGA TALK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geg

That ep was about what I expected, a couple moments in the filler scene made me laugh so I didn't mind if that much.

Next week I'm really looking forward to.

(Regarding the Preview)
Yea it was fine, for the record it looks like his arms
regenerate slowly in the preview along with Ymirs

They were fuming during this episode too, so I'm sure they're regenerating.
Looks like Reiner's hand regenerated too in the preview

Huh, Reiner and Bertholdt don't have those red streaks running down their eyes after coming out of titan form.

They seem to only appear when a human-titan lose control (ex. Eren's first transformation) or over-exert themselves (ex. Eren carrying the boulder + constant regeneration during that process), overheating the whole titan and the flesh connected to the shifter, leaving burn marks. Reiner didn't go berserk or regenerate, and Bertholdt clearly did a control burn of his body (and stole the 3D maneuver from a guy he ate). They were very much in control, so no overheating + burn marks.

DarkKyo

Should've known, my filler senses were goin crazy

Most manga readers can probably predict what the climax of the season will be at this point, but at this point in the manga there isn't too much stuff between where the story is and when that stuff happens so it makes sense that they'd need a little filler in the second half of this season. Expounding upon stuff that's glanced over in the manga(like the Mikasa memory) is better than making up completely new stuff anyways.

Brakke

Banned
Lol @ eating lembas bread with gusto being some big inspirational moment.

Mostly a waste of an ep. The flashback didn't even recontextualize the MMA bout at all, it was basically just a straight retread of the emotional beats but with kids. I said "duh" after every sentence of Drunk Dude's buck up speech.

I want Pyxis to actually have some lines. Such a tease to bring him back and have him do nothing.

Huh, Reiner and Bertholdt don't have those red streaks running down their eyes after coming out of titan form.

Like RainbowIslands said, I think those streaks only happen if you're torn out of your Titan or else start losing control and getting integrated into it. If you're in control when you leave the Titan you can presumably will those flesh strings to detach / recede cleanly.

Zyrox

Filler ep, but since the last few eps have been straight fire I can forgive.
Can't wait to see how this all plays out. Now to play the waiting game for another week...

BizzyBum

At least they are consistent with the whole cool down, light-hearted episode after a crazy hype episode formula we've come to expect with shows now. I'm sure we're going to get some amazing build-up to the finale with yet another crazy cliffhanger, too. Hopefully S3 is not in 2021.

And this pretty much confirms Mikasa is in love with Eren, right? At first you just get the big sister protection vibe from her but now it seems more then that.

Cuburt

Filler filler filler.

I don't even mind that it was a little bit slower after the last episode, but all the flashback didn't do anything to really develop Eren, Mikasa, or Armin in any new ways. In fact, it almost made Mikasa seem worse to me since it just doubled down on her shallow characterization rather than adding more context for why she is the way she is. Even in how she is a crazy fighter when we've seen her in a flashback not too much younger where she won't even fight back after some criminals murder her parents.

It just is disappointing that, so far, Eren and Mikasa are main characters and yet their characterizations are some of the most shallow on the show.

turmoil

Banned
The non filler half was good.
The filler half wasn't outright bad but unnecessary. People craving for development of the main trio would rightfully consider it a slap in the face, though.

HardRojo

This episode made me care less about Mikasa, something I thought was impossible already... what a fucking waste of a character, "one dimensional" describes her best.

Why is Mikasa so "good", anyway. She's really fucking dull, I gotta say. Weak ep.

"good" = popular?

asian/basically OP compared to most other people + has that resting bitch face/"badass" stare. The main trio have never felt particularly interesting to me.

LotusHD

Banned
Filler filler filler.

I don't even mind that it was a little bit slower after the last episode, but all the flashback didn't do anything to really develop Eren, Mikasa, or Armin in any new ways. In fact, it almost made Mikasa seem worse to me since it just doubled down on her shallow characterization rather than adding more context for why she is the way she is. Even in how she is a crazy fighter when we've seen her in a flashback not too much younger where she won't even fight back after some criminals murder her parents.

It just is disappointing that, so far, Eren and Mikasa are main characters and yet their characterizations are some of the most shallow on the show.

Didn't her whole "crazy fighter" shtick happen after they died?

mm04

Didn't her whole "crazy fighter" shtick happen after they died?

That's what I seem to remember. Probably why she's got such a hair trigger when it comes to throw down time. She doesn't ever want to be in that situation of being paralyzed to inaction again.

The answer better not be "Mikasa is good because she has Magic Asian Blood".

Sounds like a plausible reason, although not especially interesting. Might explain the "lightning through her body" animation before she killed her kidnappers: hidden genes activating.

Maybe if they tie Asian blood to the origins of titans though...

-- Edit: Just rewatched that scene, it even has the human-titan transformation thunder sound 0.o

Kinyou

The intense eating at the end made me laugh

ZDfiHx8.gif

So, I'm hating the pacing of this show.
It's absolutely dreadful.

I love how they use this image to advertise season 2:

Yet, this is not going to happen in season 2 since there are only 2 episodes left and we are running "away" from the wall.
I feel like posting that "that's bait" gif from Mad Max right now, I'm pretty disappointed we have to wait a year or more to get there now for the next season.

What a tease...

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
So, I'm hating the pacing of this show.
It's absolutely dreadful.

I love how they use this image to advertise season 2:

Yet, this is not going to happen in season 2 since there are only 2 episodes left and we are running "away" from the wall.
I feel like posting that "that's bait" gif from Mad Max right now, I'm pretty disappointed we have to wait a year or more to get there now for the next season.

What a tease...
That's just artwork based on the iconic first season promo shot.

Talents

Banned
I'm so sad. Last year I ended up reading a bit of the manga and I can totally tell that this season of the anime is going to end just where I stopped reading the manga. Time to wait 2 more years for another season.
S8Gnek5.png

Kinyou

I'm so sad. Last year I ended up reading a bit of the manga and I can totally tell that this season of the anime is going to end just where I stopped reading the manga. Time to wait 2 more years for another season.
S8Gnek5.png
I just hope that once they're done with Kabaneri season 2 (which will likely again have just 12 episodes) they'll go right back to attack on titan.

Dryk

This episode made me care less about Mikasa, something I thought was impossible already... what a fucking waste of a character, "one dimensional" describes her best.
Her incredibly unhealthy obsession with Eren could be interesting, but the show doesn't do anything with it.

The answer better not be "Mikasa is good because she has Magic Asian Blood".

Heh I'm kinda surprised the show doesn't catch flak for the fact that in a sea of whites the rare Asian is one of the strongest, most valuable ('she's worth 100 soldiers!'), special and desired people in all of humanity. Feels like lowkey propaganda.

Am I missing something? I thought this season is supposed to have 12 episodes.
Nope, he/she miscounted. There are 4 more episodes left. We're on ep 33, it'll end at 37. Or if you prefer: s2e8, ending on s2e12.
---
Predicting how the season will turn out based on episode counts (as an anime-only watcher)
ep 9: Talks and Stuff between Eren/Ymir/Bertholdt/Reiner, also some talking on horseback (reveal what Reiner/Bertholdt's want from human extinction?)
ep 10: Some conflict between the four, Survey Corps arrive near the end
ep 11: A little bit of talking by Survey Corps, and they start fighting
ep 12: first half of the episode fight, latter half implications from whatever happen (ex. Reiner/Bertholdt and/or Historia reveal something)

Each episode includes a flashback as padding.
I really don't see how Reiner and Bertholdt both leave unscathed with Eren and Ymir a second time, unless Eren willingly leaves with them.

Galava

Nope, he/she miscounted. There are 4 more episodes left. We're on ep 33, it'll end at 37. Or if you prefer: s2e8, ending on s2e12.
---
Predicting how the season will turn out based on episode counts (as an anime-only watcher)
ep 9: Talks and Stuff between Eren/Ymir/Bertholdt/Reiner, also some talking on horseback (reveal what Reiner/Bertholdt's want from human extinction?)
ep 10: Some conflict between the four, Survey Corps arrive near the end
ep 11: A little bit of talking by Survey Corps, and they start fighting
ep 12: first half of the episode fight, latter half implications from whatever happen (ex. Reiner/Bertholdt and/or Historia reveal something)

Each episode includes a flashback as padding.
I really don't see how Reiner and Bertholdt both leave unscathed with Eren and Ymir a second time, unless Eren willingly leaves with them.

You are underestimating the length of the final fight.

Though I can't remember well what exactly happened, so more or less I'm an ignorant reader that can't remember shit.

Auctopus

Probably the weakest episode of the series. I don't mind Mikasa as a character but don't try and develop her backstory if it's just more "ERREEEEENNNNNN!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom