• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan Season 2 |OT| NO MANGA TALK

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

I agree. It's why I like Eren as a character. That inner conflict has been present throughout the show, to great effect. It's more complex than the typical "hot blooded protagonist" or "cool, level-headed protagonist."
Yeah, a big part of why I like the series is that Eren's simplistic Black/White worldview is undermined over and over again by the plot, forcing him to repeatedly confront and challenge his beliefs.

For me Eren shows in this episode a part that I like, that I find original: he isn't the typical protagonist who is driven and focused in his quest and his sense of justice.
No, no, he is more than that: he is kind of psychotic about it. The part where he slowly explains he will do everything in his hand to give them an excruciating death isn't exactly something that you see in other animes.

turmoil

Banned
What I like the most of this is the setup, how things are arranged so that they have to patiently wait and talk instead of killing each other.

One would had thought that outside the walls everything would be titan warfare 24/7.

I also love that Reiner is not able to face his deeds, needing to scape to his other personality.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Funny. I watched this week 3 different series that were slower: American Gods, Sense8 and Twin Peaks.

I don't mind slow TV, I mean, I just watched Bloodline which is the slowest of burns, but this episode felt like 2 scenes just stretched out over 24 minutes. Like I said above, one scene was a character literally just telling us what had happened a scene before, that's pretty ridiculous.

fanboi

Banned
Usually I want action packed episodes but this was a very good ep even without any of that.

I guess a good build up for what is to come (I hope).

jett

D-Member
This episode is a prime example one of the things I don't like about anime sometimes. Why is this imbecile of a main character wasting our time internally monologuing all kinds of obvious shit instead of asking Reiner literally anything? The writing is just nonsense, this conversation makes zero sense.

This episode was a complete waste of time.

Tcab96

For me Eren shows in this episode a part that I like, that I find original: he isn't the typical protagonist who is driven and focused in his quest and his sense of justice.
No, no, he is more than that: he is kind of psychotic about it. The part where he slowly explains he will do everything in his hand to give them an excruciating death isn't exactly something that you see in other animes.

You saying that reminds me of both fights he had with Annie. He was losing it so hard he straight up talked about eating her. It was scary to see the main character go seemingly nuts for a few seconds.

I'm worried about Eren. Lol.

takriel

This episode is a prime example one of the things I don't like about anime sometimes. Why is this imbecile of a main character wasting our time internally monologuing all kinds of obvious shit instead of asking Reiner literally anything? The writing is just nonsense, this conversation makes zero sense.

This episode was a complete waste of time.
Yeah that's a pretty big anime flaw. Although I didn't really mind it in this episode.

Hypron

You saying that reminds me of both fights he had with Annie. He was losing it so hard he straight up talked about eating her. It was scary to see the main character go seemingly nuts for a few seconds.

I'm worried about Eren. Lol.

Yeah I think the death of their respective parent(s) completely fucked Eren and Mikasa up. Armin is the only one of the main three that still seems kinda normal at this point.

zelas

Great, we've traded in unproductive conversations on top of walls for unproductive conversations on top of tree limbs. All they did was spend the entire episode having characters ask the questions that viewers have already got bored of asking over a month ago. "Hey, what's the deal with that monkey titan?" Really??!! And then they didn't even come close to addressing it. I'm really about to drop this show and just read a wiki so I can be done with this show for good. The show's pacing is some of the poorest I've ever seen. I just don't understand it.

Todays episode was even worse than last weeks. Just a big bag of jack shit. Like wow thanks for confirming that reiner is nuts cause we totally couldn't infer that 3 episodes ago.

Really kinda insulting to fans who have waited 4 years for the anime to start up and not only do we get just 12 episodes they also include completely useless filler.

FluxWaveZ

I liked this episode, and it gave me pretty much what I wanted. Not "answers," but the emotional conflict between Eren and the enemy, face to face like that, as well as whatever the hell Ymir's deal is.

Mendrox

People complaining about that little talk should just stop.

Todays episode was even worse than last weeks. Just a big bag of jack shit. Like wow thanks for confirming that reiner is nuts cause we totally couldn't infer that 3 episodes ago.

Really kinda insulting to fans who have waited 4 years for the anime to start up and not only do we get just 12 episodes they also include completely useless filler.

Then stop because it wont get better later on. The world lives and is defined by these talks. There are other worse shonen anime /manga

People complaining about that little talk should just stop.

Then stop because it wont get better later on. The world lives and is defined by these talks. There are other worse shonen anime /manga

how about you just ignore the complaints if it so irks you? "there are worse things" is a piss poor defense.

Astral

The content of the conversation isn't the problem. The problem is they obviously extended the shit out of it because they probably wanna end the season right at the end of this arc, and that doesn't need 4 more episodes.

Lynd7

I wish they had at least answered some question.. Thats probably the issue with the episode, it didn't really give us a tidbit of insight.

DarkKyo

Wow! Did anyone just see Adult Swim's preview for the Armor/Colossal reveal episode(next weekend's dub episode)?

It's crazy how much give away the surprise in that promo lol

This whole human titan thing is getting confusing. Ymir is not what Eren and Annie are by any stretch of the imagination. Annie's and Eren's seem to be piloted like Gundam's where Ymir is actually a miniature Titan. Ok wait there are different classes of Titan Gundammu? Get the fuck out of here, Ymir got shafted on her model.

I wish they had at least answered some question.. Thats probably the issue with the episode, it didn't really give us a tidbit of insight.

I can definitely see that. This episode was mostly expository. There's nothing inherently wrong with exposition, it just needs to be interesting. This episode wasn't presented in a way that keeps viewers engaged because there is some insight. Reiner's fucked up and they have some sort of relationship to Monkey Trouble. It also gave way too much explanation for why Eren and Ymir couldn't just run away.

I was surprised when I got to the interstitial and nothing really happened. There was some potential with Eren getting mad at Reiner and Bert, but that can't really go anywhere because Eren can't do shit yet. The entire episode probably could've been condensed a bit to allow for more plot and conflict.

Also Eren is crazy. He knows he should be calm and gather information, but that little fucker is too hotblooded for that, especially when faced with the two who were responsible for getting his mother killed. He isn't going to act very rational when that comes up.

This whole human titan thing is getting confusing. Ymir is not what Eren and Annie are by any stretch of the imagination. Annie's and Eren's seem to be piloted like Gundam's where Ymir is actually a miniature Titan. Ok wait there are different classes of Titan Gundammu? Get the fuck out of here, Ymir got shafted on her model.
Ymir's titan is piloted like Annie's and Eren's meat gundams. But hers is a chibi-meat gundam.

kirblar

Yeah Ymir just got a shitty draw.

shira

3 more.

I'm expecting crazy shit
dac15_cool.gif

I thought the Marco thing was just showing that Reiner has the split personality/amnesia problem. As in, he shouldn't have been so distraught when Marco died, because he should have known that some of their fellow cadets would die as pair of their mission.)

I thought that flashback was to show the split identity Reiner had developed, and how he actually felt devastated at Marco's death when, in actuality, he shouldn't care less as a "warrior."

That part I understand. I rewatched it, I still think somehow Reiner is responsible for Marco's death though.

Marco is like "Reiner, Please [...] Annie... (&#12450;&#12491;&#12540;&#12434;...)" while showing Marco getting constrained by Reiner. And then we see him get eaten. Annie and Bertholdt crying, and looking at Reiner shocked... and Reiner "Why? Did I? Marco is being eaten..." <-- Obviously Reiner developed some PTSD, but is that from directly killing one of the cadets/fellow soldier? Or just being eaten?

There is some dynamic between the four. Did Marco betray the three? Or dId he notice the true identities (as Titan Shifters) and thus had to be killed? And then there's Annie using Marco's 3D maneuver (which could be coincidence because she happen to have found it). I also remember Eren saying "Why does Marco's name pop up here?" when Armin speculated Annie being the female titan. It was also hard to pin point when Marco died because we see him alive when they saved Jean from his broken maneuver, but we see him dead while clean up after Eren sealed the gate. Marco keeps getting name-mentioned here and there and it's really hard to not notice.

More questions.... It's a mess. :mad:

Holy shit at ep 6...god damn. Eren's probably going to get his ass handed to him again though. Ep 7: At first I didn't see it, but I can see why Hange is Levi's number 2. She is an excellent leader. Reiner couldn't hold up his L so he cheated like a fucking bitch.

And this is why we won't ever get another season. You guys complain if it's anything but,mindless action. 1 episode has slow pacing and it's the worst thing in the world and you're ready to drop the anime.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
^ Yeah seriously. It wasn't even slow pacing. It was tense character building. Drawn out moments aren't wasted time. Just compare this episode to any recent episode of One Piece to really understand what unnecessary hemming and hawing to fill time is like.

xam3l

How about no.

This episode was boooooriiiinnnnngggggf.

It was fucking awesome.

When was the last time you were just as confused and anxious as the main character during a rant/dialogue?

You guys are spoiled as shit as if only action matter.

Tuck

Pacing has really nosedived in the past couple episodes. Agreed that this episode was a whole lot of nothing, and last week's was too. They could have easily been combined into one episode and been better off for it.

I thought that flashback was to show the split identity Reiner had developed, and how he actually felt devastated at Marco's death when, in actuality, he shouldn't care less as a "warrior."

I thought the Marco thing was just showing that Reiner has the split personality/amnesia problem. As in, he shouldn't have been so distraught when Marco died, because he should have known that some of their fellow cadets would die as pair of their mission.

Yeah, and you see Annie crying.

Annie had Marco's gear after that.

I took the scene to mean that Reiner attacked Marco, while Bertrolt and Annie watched, and thats why Marco ended up getting eaten, but by that point Reiner had already forgotten what he did.

The only question is why. Either Marco overheard something he wasn't meant to, or they decided to kill him to steal his gear (though I'm not sure why they'd have felt that necessary at that point in time).

Hellraider

And this is why we won't ever get another season. You guys complain if it's anything but,mindless action. 1 episode has slow pacing and it's the worst thing in the world and you're ready to drop the anime.

Last week's episode (8) was the only one that should have been criticized so far in this season. All other episodes have been ranging from great to excellent. 9 was slow, but you got so many and amazing insights into all 4 titan characters character that it made it more than worthy. Sometimes shit needs to be slow.

It was even crazier in the first half of the season where you would read comments saying how nothing was happening when we were going from one huge revelation to another.

Mendrox

how about you just ignore the complaints if it so irks you? "there are worse things" is a piss poor defense.

I am just saying that people complain about something which wont get better. So stop wasting your time if you dont enjoy exposition. For anyone wanting 100% action all the time AoT is the wrong show.

I am just saying that people complain about something which wont get better. So stop wasting your time if you dont enjoy exposition. For anyone wanting 100% action all the time AoT is the wrong show.

yeah. or they should just watch youtbe videos of the fights and skip watching the episodes. the show is much deeper than just titan fights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom