• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) manga thread of TOTAL SPOILER PANDEMONIUM

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
There's nothing inherently wrong with long-term mysteries.

Especially when the payoff is so good.
Holy fuck dude, the Beast Titan saying baseball references totally makes sense now. Baseball does exist.

They also drank coffee while the Service Corp had no idea what that was.

I wonder how many references to the outside world were in the show that no one really noticed.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I've been reading this manga for about 3 years now, from the very first chapter, i basically assumed this was our actual world in some way, and they just didn't know about it. Whether that meant that it was after a post apocalyptic event, or they were stuck somewhere that the rest of the world was purposefully obscured, i knew this kind of thing would eventually happen..

I mean, from the very beginning, we had modern medical syringes injecting eren in a world that seemed to be 1700s inspired at most

Erigu

They also drank coffee while the Service Corp had no idea what that was.
I wonder how many references to the outside world were in the show that no one really noticed.
There was that bit where Ymir and Reiner were talking about the ape titan, and Eren went "wait, what's an ape?".
And a bit before that, still with Reiner and Ymir, Ymir being able to read the label on that can of herring wasn't the only fishy (sorry) detail: had Eren been in the room, he probably would have asked about the "herring" part.

Zoe

I wonder what the banned books must be like though if they were written early enough to talk about the outside but still not have any photographs.

Nibel

Holy fuck dude, the Beast Titan saying baseball references totally makes sense now. Baseball does exist.

Oh god

I think I got it maybe?

There's a fourth wall. It keeps the titans locked in. The people in the center have no idea about it. There's something in the center that the outsiders want.

So they tried to steal Eren all the time, right? Maybe he's the son of someone important? Or there is something else to his Titan ability than others? Or is it because of him being able to control Titans which the outsiders are interested in?

Maybe Titans are mass-destruction biological weapons but.. if that was the case, what exactly is the 3-wall setup for? For testing purposes?

This chapter really opened up a bunch of interesting speculation; fwiw I like the idea of another wall that maybe even looks different and shit

Permanently A

Oh god

So they tried to steal Eren all the time, right? Maybe he's the son of someone important? Or there is something else to his Titan ability than others? Or is it because of him being able to control Titans which the outsiders are interested in?

Maybe Titans are mass-destruction biological weapons but.. if that was the case, what exactly is the 3-wall setup for? For testing purposes?

This chapter really opened up a bunch of interesting speculation; fwiw I like the idea of another wall that maybe even looks different and shit

Reiner and Bert were after the coordinate, but they became interested in Eren before they knew he was the coordinate, they just wanted him to come with them when they found out he was a shifter.

manfestival

about freaking time we got to the basement. It was anticlimactic.... as expected. I was hoping it wasnt something less m night shyamalan

Welp spoilers are out! Looks like we answers finally. Zeke is a fucking bastard.

This is the childhood of Grisha and his younger sister Fay (Faye?)
- In their town there are blimps, steamboats, even some planes flying overhead - the culture is similar to that of the Turn A Gundam series
- The two of them escaped from confines (Maybe something like a ghetto) but were discovered by soldiers. Fay is taken away and killed
- Ymir’s people, who wield the Titan power, were victorious in the war
- Grisha was 18 when he found out that his sister had been eaten
- (The grammar of this part is a little confusing) In order to revive “Elodia,” in order to resurrect the ancient (Original) Titan, to defeat “Mali”
- Grisha married “Donna” and had Zeke. When Zeke was 7, he went to the government and exposed Grisha and Donna (For doing what is not clear)
- Elodia was sent to the island of “Balati,” which is the base of the Titans.

I hate how spoilers always seem to leak days before the full chapter is leaked.

This thread always pops up to the top of my subscribed feed tempting me to peak in.

So it looks like we've found out who the smiling titan was pre-titan...possibly.

Grishas first wife

Oh and remember that weird Titan with long black hair that was bending over? Turns out we've seen him before as a human...

One of the soldiers interrogating Grisha

ElFly

It also makes
the beast titan, Zeke, Grisha's first son and thus Eren's half uncle

at least the author found a way that
make the titans attacking the city still the bad guys, instead of them being on the good side

not sure i really give much of a shit about this

the entire series takes place on that island? Are they gonna break out of it and fight these empire dudes?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I keep seeing this. Having never seen/read that, the summaries I've read never seem to explain the comparison. Spoil please?

The big twist in Claymore was that
the setting was just an island that was the battleground for biological warfare between two warring nations (although we never saw the bigger nation that started the conflict) but almost none of the titular Claymores actually knew anything about this.

The big twist in Claymore was that
the setting was just an island that was the battleground for biological warfare between two warring nations (although we never saw the bigger nation that started the conflict) but almost none of the titular Claymores actually knew anything about this.

The problem with that was it not foreshadowed and had no bearing on anything. It just ruined the whole thing. It only raised more questions that never got answered. At least here it has bearing on the story and has been foreshadowed.

Great chapter.

It's an interesting 'origin story', with its own plot twists, it reveals both personal and political motivations, while not being super original it doesn't feel like a retread of another famous story, and as someone said before it adds a lot of context without invalidating all that happened until now. Basement delivered. Are you 'did they arrive at the basement yet?!! lol' people happy already?

I was wrong with my own pet theory slightly inspired by Nausicaa of being our world's future where at some point biological weapons ie. Titans started being used in ww3 and then ran amok creating a post-apoc scifi setting. Instead it feels more
like this is a different world, with their own tribes and nations and technological progress and prejudices, etc. Well, technically at some point Titans were created 1800 years ago, I doubt the literal explanation of 'deal with the Devil' so maybe I'm still right.? Isayama in any case avoided explaining the origin of Titans here, as even in the flashback their creation were already shrouded in myth for 1800 years, but I think it's something fair to do, as really the real origin isn't a key part of the story being told in this comic.

Well, we have one important tidbit of info, it really seems a lost technology, exactly the still have the technology to create flawed Titans (mindless), and there are a small rest of real Titans (shifters) but only 9 in all the world. And somehow titankind is truly related to Elodians, when Mare decided to attack, instead of using their own people, they had to recruit Elodians to do it despite the risk of turning against them (though they took precautions, maybe that's why they took small children, to brainwash them).

I also liked the concept of how having a majority of weapons of mass destruction (7 of 9 shifter titans) gave them power, but what happened is that they were entering in XX century technology and with tanks, planes and things like that, they knew the Titans would lose power, so they needed to secure a new resource for the future, oil. Like, you know Japan in WW2.
And
Iraq War

So which side are the good guys and which are the bad guys? I suspect neither, and I like it that way. Surely it's true Elodians were some hardcore assholes and that's why they were eventually defeated by others and the rest were placed in a ghetto, but at the same time it's clear the Mare side isn't exactly perfect (discrimination, ghettos, killing lil' girls in cruel ways, etc). In fact I suppose they were in the same situation as inside the walls and the history books told a truth slanted to 'the truth of the winner side'. And still at the same time it's clear given how it's told to us that Grisha misinterpreted the 'secret true history books' and his super-positive interpretation is also wrong.
The truth is somewhere shown in this image
ERTDWeu.png

with several groups and factions, waging war some times and having peace other times, no side being especially innocent. The normal in human civilization, you know.

And now that I think about it all this gives more sense to some past chapters, as they are two sides from 'outside' trying to get the Coordinate power, it wasn't all a monolithic faction. Things about Ymir's past, Annie's dad, Bert and Reiner reactions and instability (there was truly brainwashing going on which clashes with their years infiltrated), etc.

What else. The start is interesting, there is a contrast on what Grisha wrote at the end of the previous chapter, 'I came from outside, where life is harmonious for humanity' and how this chapter stars, the part of the armbands and the warning about the walls is already ominous. The moment of his sister's death, though brief, is pretty sad, if the anime reaches that part someday it can be a powerful moment. And his turn to extremism and joining the Revivalists makes sense, while still leaving some degrees of freedom to later in the plot mature and change his personality, as we know it happens.

Question, Who is 'night owl'? Daina Fritz or another person of the hidden royalty? It provided the Revivalists not only info while being infiltrated in Mare, but weapons, money, etc.

ElFly

one bad side to this is that fuels even more the interpretation of AoT as a nationalistic comic

what with the Elodians being charged with some horrible crime we never see and that seems to be an unfair accusation, and how the king of the Elodians is of divine descent, in an island, where they barely maintain a self defense force

kirblar

one bad side to this is that fuels even more the interpretation of AoT as a nationalistic comic

what with the Elodians being charged with some horrible crime we never see and that seems to be an unfair accusation, and how the king of the Elodians is of divine descent, in an island, where they barely maintain a self defense force
This is meant to be reminiscent of a whole bunch of nasty shit in the world's history (China/Japan, Nazi Germany, Israel/Palestine, etc.) It's really not coming off as nationalistic, it's more akin to something like Bioshock Infinite where there's nastiness on all sides.

duckroll

I don't really think there's anything nationalistic about it. I mean sure, you can read a lot into whether it might be an analogy or some sort of stealth defense for Japanese Wartime Nationalism, but none of it is really portrayed as positive. In the end, the most impressive thing about this "reveal" is that there are really no good or bad guys in the absolute sense. There is a historical cycle of violence and authorities manipulating history. This happened in the outside world and within the walls. The royal family controlled information within the walls to try and artificially control the progress of society, while the nation(s) in the outside world changed history and taught whatever they needed to create the narrative they needed, meanwhile the revolutionaries compiled incomplete information and were driven by their blind faith and hatred to see reality as what they wanted to see to justify their insurgent actions.

In the end everyone is a villain. If you think about what Eren's father did in context now, and compare it with what the Survey Corps have also done in the arc just before this, you'll see that there are a lot of parallels. The intent of the story narrative here seems to be that whether you are inside the walls or in the outside world, the nature of humanity doesn't change - people are greedy for power, the rich and powerful oppress the people, the people rise up to fight back and topple them without understand the true stakes in the larger sense.

I think the basement reveal is really good all things considered. There were so many possible ways they could have disappointed or just made it feel like a cop out, but instead it actually makes perfect sense now why they had to take so long to get there, because without the context of the events within the walls, the royal family, and the truth behind what Eren's father did, the explanation of what the outside world is would just be a gimmick. Now it feels like a proper explanation for motivations set in stone a long time ago.

Yep, yep, I said as much, I don't believe there are innocents here.

And the author is clearly setting up good parallels between inside the walls and what we are seeing outside of them in the flashback. It isn't only both sides rewriting history at their own benefit, but things like starting the flashback with the mother warning about "going outside the walls". How ironic is that.

Hypron

I'm really enjoying where this manga is going. I never got bored of it like many other people seem to have, but it's getting even better. I really wonder how things are going to unravel from here onwards.

kewlmyc

Oh man, in the "let's pray Eren never finds out about this" category: https://imgur.com/a/bYrcX

Isayama had one hell of a godbook planned out for the series.

So the first wife became a titan and ate the second wife. Neat.

I'm really enjoying where this manga is going. I never got bored of it like many other people seem to have, but it's getting even better. I really wonder how things are going to unravel from here onwards.

The human revolution arc kinda bored me, but I'm liking this reveal arc and the previous "take back Wall Maria" arc, though I don't like how they picked Armin over Erwin and only people who survived being a part of the main crew.

My head is fucking spinning!

Explain what I just read TitanGaf!!!!

His sister man....that was too much! I think I read too fast in hopes he'd get vengeance!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Manga has been solid for a while now - digging the current direction.
My head is fucking spinning!

Explain what I just read TitanGaf!!!!

His sister man....that was too much! I think I read too fast in hopes he'd get vengeance!

Nothing too complicated happened this chapter - you probably were just rushing through the pages lol.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I want to say the Eren capture chapters were a drag, but this is one of the few times in a Manga where the build up... actually lived up to it.

It's very clear he had this plan since the beginning. It answers a lot of questions, while creating a few more. It's very well built into the current story and even now, we have people looking back and sort of realizing all the pieces were placed since the beginning.

mdubs

Banned
I don't know what I'm more surprised about - the basement revelations or the fact that it actually lived up to the hype

Genryu

Banned
I really like the whole idea of "Hey if you come at my walls you better be ready to combat millions of titans at once."

duckroll

What a fucked up world. Unleashing the walled up titan and let them trample the world seems like a fair solution.

Is it really all that fucked up? I think there is a good argument for how the world is fucked up regardless of which side you're on.

Inside the Walls:
- The royal family mindwiped everyone and then committed genocide on the bloodlines who did not play along, forcing those who survived to live in poverty and abuse, literally a subclass of people.
- They rewrote history to justify all actions and keep people in check.

Outside the Walls:
- The governing power who took over forced the race of people living under the previous ruling power to live in slums and accept their lot as second class citizens. Those who opposed it were killed.
- They rewrote history to justify all actions and keep people in check.

Eren's father is a really interesting case study too. His life outside the Walls saw him living by the laws of the land until a family tragedy made him resent the way of the world and rebel, attempting to use his own son as a pawn in the struggle, only for it to turn on him instead. In his new life inside the Walls, it saw him living by the laws of the land until a family tragedy made him resent the way of the world and rebel, subsequently using his own son as a pawn in the struggle, only for it to turn on him and cost him his life.

People are who they are, their true nature doesn't change. The circumstances within and without the Walls are simply different forms of social constructs created by the authority of the land, they don't define who a person really is.

In the "everybody's kinda shit" argument, can't quite see the reason for ghettodians being considered that. They, much like the survey corps, seem pretty close to blameless.

I was even entertaining the argument that erwin might've been a bit of a shitty person, but... he was depicted as being quite fucking honest with his soldiers wrt what they were going to do, and why.

ElFly

In the "everybody's kinda shit" argument, can't quite see the reason for ghettodians being considered that. They, much like the survey corps, seem pretty close to blameless.

yeah basically

their ancestors may or may not have committed grave sins but they themselves are clearly innocents

other than the occasional murder and stuff in the name of the resistance I guess but eh

Top Bottom