• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT2| Bummed Boys Bashing Big Balls By Beach-shore

Vince was legit in love with Shawn Michaels.

I've never understood why Vince defended HBK so goddamn much in the mid 90s. The dude was clearly a PR nightmare waiting to happen

#TeamBret

It's one of those things in hindsight where you wonder how WWF fucked up Brett/Shawn in the long run. I know WWF ended up being fine and beating WCW, but imagine if they didn't push Brett out and they could have had that Heel Bret run through 97/98.

Majukun

is nakamura ever going to have a good match on the main roster

like yeah he's getting shit opponents but dude is clearly barely trying to even have something of an okay match with them

nowadays even styles is not even trying during his matches, so I can't really blame him

Is this why all three the announcers at SummerSlam were telling me how they've never heard a reaction like that in their professional careers and how you have got to respect Reigns for all he is?

The announcers suck in general but it's still not Bryan booking.

Though I have to laugh that Reigns winning is bad booking but Reigns losing is also bad booking.

Reigns post Mania has been great.

Zach

I would start going to all of WWE's live events and buy foam fingers and stuff like a regular Data West if Bayley simultaneously wrestled as a goody-two-shoes face and a dastardly masked heel.

Well, maybe not exactly simultaneously, but you know what I mean.

Sephzilla

It's one of those things in hindsight where you wonder how WWF fucked up Brett/Shawn in the long run. I know WWF ended up being fine and beating WCW, but imagine if they didn't push Brett out and they could have had that Heel Bret run through 97/98.

One of the original WrestleMania 14 plans was apparently Austin/Bret for the title with Austin going over. It would have been a million times better and more fitting for the Austin/Bret story

I still maintain that British Bulldog and Owen Hart would still be alive had Vince not pushed Bret out

RTrZI8m.gif

Zach's fave McMahon moment.

Heel Bayley like Heel Bryan where it's mostly comedic and her heel work is calling people dorks and refusing to give faces hugs.

nowadays even styles is not even trying during his matches, so I can't really blame him
I just think he and KO don't have chemistry. Besides, even so Styles has given tons of great matches already in his time and Nak's been checked out since day 1.

Draxal

Heel Bayley like Heel Bryan where it's mostly comedic and her heel work is calling people dorks and refusing to give faces hugs.

I just think he and KO don't have chemistry. Besides, even so Styles has given tons of great matches already in his time and Nak's been checked out since day 1.

The match would have been great, but all the scripted issues with Shane took alot from that match.

Anth0ny

Lesnar etc 4 3/4*

giphy.gif

I continue to be fascinated by Meltzer's star ratings. I checked out the main event of slams after meltzer jizzed over it... and ESPECIALLY coming off the G1, I'm fucking baffled at a match like that getting a 4.75/5 rating. don't get me wrong, it was a fun match, watching hosses do their special moves on eachother over and over is pure heyman-style and fun to watch, but... Meltzer gave Naito/Tanahashi at the Tokyo Dome this year a 4.5. That match was fucking art and a must watch imo. This Slams main event was dumb fun but I wouldn't even tell you to go out of your watch to watch it. It was really nothing special.

I think you're crazy if you don't think Meltzer grades on a curve at this point. After enduring 5 and a half hours of complete shit, I guess I can see how a good main event comes off better than it actually is... while a match like Naito/Tanahashi had to follow Takahashi/Kushida and Goto/Shibata, two other must watch matches of 2017.

Even just looking at wwe matches, he gave Undertaker/Shawn a 4.75. Like is there ANY comparison between the slams main event and fucking Taker/Shawn from Mania 25? come on son.

Everyone's on board with Tuna Meltz stars until the WWE event ones get revealed and are never as damning as some hoped
Is this what they call "getting worked"?

As I said the other day, the moment Dave gave out a 6-star rating he completely invalidated every rating he's ever done in the past. If you decide a 5 point scale is what you go on then you can't ever break it.

So i think it's better to view all rankings as 1 point lower to make them more on par with the old ratings.

Mahonay

Banned
I mean, how many stars Meltzer gives a match is pretty much entirely based on how much he enjoyed it.

He got 4.75 stars of enjoyment out of the SummerSlam main event. It's really not that hard to understand.

And now 6 is basically the new ceiling. Doesn't have to change everything retroactively, the bar has just been raised.

When you compare ratings it absolutely does. If you take them only on a year by year basis, then no you don't need to retroactively change. But his stuff is looked at the same way people compare metacritic/rt scores. If 6 is the new bar then 5s from the 80s/90s need more weight than 5s in 2016/17.

Anth0ny

I mean, how many stars Meltzer gives a match is pretty much entirely based on how much he enjoyed it.

He got 4.75 stars of enjoyment out of the SummerSlam main event. It's really not that hard to understand.

sure, but it would be like a reviewer watching goodfellas and giving it a 4.5/5, then two weeks later watching batman v superman and giving it a 4.75/5.

like it's your opinion and you can rate anything however you want and like whatever you want however much you want... but at the same time WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU WATCHING BRUH

I generally agree with the dude and his ratings so when something like this pops up that's so drastically off base to me it stands out!

Mahonay

Banned
sure, but it would be like a reviewer watching goodfellas and giving it a 4.5/5, then two weeks later watching batman v superman and giving it a 4.75/5.

like it's your opinion and you can rate anything however you want and like whatever you want however much you want... but at the same time WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU WATCHING BRUH

I generally agree with the dude and his ratings so when something like this pops up that's so drastically off base to me it stands out!
I mean, Dave has experienced and reported on all of wrestling in the past 40+ years. No one else but Dave Meltzer has dedicated this much of their life to covering pro wrestling. I would think that would maybe mean he's entitled to not having the validity of his reviews constantly questioned.

Right? Am I crazy?

More then a month away until the 20th anniversary of Kane's debut yessir

Can't wait for WWE to do shit all with this momentous occasion, two decades of incredibly reliable service and enduring character to be handwaved away, at best I'll anticipate a collection of Classic Kane matches on the network.

And I see you all typing up your "what classics?" responses.

I mean, Dave has experienced and reported on all of wrestling in the past 40+ years. No one else but Dave Meltzer has dedicated this much of their life to covering pro wrestling. I would think that would maybe mean he's entitled to not having the validity of his reviews constantly questioned.

Yep. All that matters is him saying it's one of the best things he's ever seen. The number that equates to is meaningless

Sephzilla

Kane's 2 biggest things going against him are lacking any kind of signature match and having his character be slowly assassinated over 20 years

Kane is a man of moments, not matches, when you get a mighty four star Kane match it's a pleasant surprise.

You could say as a result of this alongside 20 years of dubious storylines he's pretty much the encapsulation of WWE booking at its best and worst, Kane IS WWE.

Kane's 2 biggest things going against him are lacking any kind of signature match and having his character be slowly assassinated over 20 years

Gunna be honest, I think I'm less annoyed by Kane's flip-flopping of persona more than Taker if only because WWE continued to try and make Taker seem like a 'dead man'.

Also just got to this moment in my 96 re-watch:
First-Under-Ring.jpg

Top Bottom