• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT2| Bummed Boys Bashing Big Balls By Beach-shore

Pikma

Banned
Who would be considered the most successful home grown talent from WWE/WWF? I'm thinking of it as guys who did make their careers elsewhere and come over, but guys who may have done 2-3 years then come to WWE/F and define their career. I guess technically it would be Bret?

Flair is the obvious for WCW/NWA even though he started at Crocket, but Crocket was kind of hand in hand with NWA/WCW.
Bo Dallas

Anth0ny

Who would be considered the most successful home grown talent from WWE/WWF? I'm thinking of it as guys who did make their careers elsewhere and come over, but guys who may have done 2-3 years then come to WWE/F and define their career. I guess technically it would be Bret?

Flair is the obvious for WCW/NWA even though he started at Crocket, but Crocket was kind of hand in hand with NWA/WCW.

Rock?

Chvrches is perfection

Also, gonna be controversial, but Paramore's After Laughter is one of my fav albums. Not just of the year, but ever

I really need to give it another listen. I didn't like anything other than Hard Times first listen (and I had problems with that too), and wrote it off as a disappointment. But I think that's the old Paramore fan in me, I've since come round on a couple of songs I heard in the wild, Tell Me How in particular.

Sephzilla

The best WWE home grown talent of all time is either Cena or The Rock. And it's hard to decide who to pick out of those two because Rock > Cena on the mic but I'd argue that Cena > Rock in the ring.

In terms of recent home grown talents, the best one is Charlotte

BiggNife

games better than sonic in 2017

Persona 5
Yakuza 0
Nier
BotW
Hollow Knight
Prey
PUBG

tbh I've played a bunch of those games and I still think Mania is my GOTY right now

I'm 60 hours into P5 and it's very good but godddd the pacing is fucked which is why I've been so slow in playing it

BoTW is unquestionably excellent, I'm just not huge on open world games. I still really liked it, and it's probably in my top 3 for the year, but I don't think it's my favorite game ever like others feel

Nier is an amazing story saddled with shallow combat that loses its luster 8 hours in

PUBG is a great game that leads to some incredible moments but it still has a shitload of jank I'm waiting for them to iron out

Only played an hour of Prey and still haven't played Y0 or Hollow Knight yet. Too many fucking games this year

That isn't to say Sonic Mania is perfect but its the sequel to 3&K I've wanted for years and I'm willing to look past its flaws because it does so much right

As should be obvious, Persona 5 is my GOTY so far. Probably also my favorite game ever. Don't think anything will top it. Also on the list is PUBG. And BOTW.

Sephzilla

I'd put Bayley and Alexa Bliss even Becky over Charolette

Charlotte is too much of a total package for me. She's really great in the ring, she can cut a good promo, and she has her character and personality nailed. Plus she's even managed to overcome WWE booking.

Of the home grown womens wrestlers in recent history my hierarchy would go Charlotte > Sasha > Bayley > Becky = Bliss > a broom and dust pan > Jax

Charlotte is too much of a total package for me. She's really great in the ring, she can cut a good promo, and she has her character and personality nailed. Plus she's even managed to overcome WWE booking.
She doesn't have a good look imo and I'm not big on her mic work

Congrats NXT
women's division
, you can finally be competitive again [/spoiler]

The last time I bitch about this one specific thing in the NXT womens division based on spoilers.

I really wish NXT stopped breaking keyfabe with this shit. Asuka cheated twice to beat Ember and put her out of commission for months. Ember should have offered a handshake, nailed her, then announce that the mouthbreathers were idiots for cheering a cheat and the only reason Asuka's leaving is because she's too afraid to ever give her a fair match.

Instead the booking's the same boring "All hail our Japanese Goddess!" that it's been since Asuka debuted and it does nothing but make Ember look like a coward. They've been struggling to get Ember over as face, this was the perfect spot to turn here and the audience would have ate up face Niki vs heel Ember.

She doesn't have a good look imo and I'm not big on her mic work

Chalotte's always been bad on the mic in my opinion, she only got away with it because she was heel and was given way more mic time than other (just like another female on the roster...). Now she's face and she's doing the exact same thing and it doesn't work for me.

The best WWE home grown talent of all time is either Cena or The Rock. And it's hard to decide who to pick out of those two because Rock > Cena on the mic but I'd argue that Cena > Rock in the ring.

In terms of recent home grown talents, the best one is Charlotte

I can back this

I'd put Rock over Cena just because Rock managed to maintain all that hype and momentum despite being surrounded by so many other huge mega stars in the 00s

Sephzilla

Charlotte's look is fantastic imho

I can back this

I'd put Rock over Cena just because Rock managed to maintain all that hype and momentum despite being surrounded by so many other huge mega stars in the 00s

This is definitely a good reason to say Rock is #1.

BiggNife

This might not be a popular opinion but I wish Charlotte was still a heel

Face Charlotte is boring imo

She's still very good in the ring regardless

Sephzilla

Yeah Charlotte is way better as a heel.

Plus, unlike the rest of the NXT womens call-ups, Charlotte actually continued improving on main roster television while everyone else either stayed on par or regressed. Leaving NXT, I thought Charlotte was the weakest of the Four Horsewomen, now I think she's the best of them.

Draxal

I think Sasha might be better than Charlotte they're really 1a-1b, but then again Sasha was on the indy scene for a while right?

Plus, unlike the rest of the NXT womens call-ups, Charlotte actually continued improving on main roster television while everyone else either stayed on par or regressed. Leaving NXT, I thought Charlotte was the weakest of the Four Horsewomen, now I think she's the best of them.

Are you just talking about the Horsewomen, because Alexa has definitely improved.

Sephzilla

Sasha has 2 years of indy wrestling under her belt pre-NXT but honestly her pre-NXT career was completely forgettable.

Are you just talking about the Horsewomen, because Alexa has definitely improved.

Yeah, mostly talking about the Horsewomen. Alexa stagnated for a while in NXT but in the tail end of her run down there she got a lot better fast and it carried over to the main roster. I still don't think she's anything remarkable in the ring but she's got character work to balance that out.

This might not be a popular opinion but I wish Charlotte was still a heel

Face Charlotte is boring imo

She's still very good in the ring regardless
Yep

Charlotte is one of my faves in WWE and since she moved to Smackdown I haven't cared enough to tune in for her. Same as Owens (and AJ since he turned)

Doesn't help when she really doesn't even have a big focus but her heel run on Raw was awesome.

Those NXT spoilers sound delicious.

I should play more of it, I'v only given it about 2 and a half hours.

See, I was intrigued by the whole tackling mental health thing but so far it's not done much in any department to hook me. A lot of walking with the main puzzle type basically being "find this shape in the environment" and every now and then you get simple but effective enough combat spots.
Right now in regards to its plot I feel like they think they've set up a "I wonder what this is all about and I'm intrigued to play more and find out!" hook, when it actually feels more like "this is vague as all hell and it's really not motivating me to push forward".

yeah. i'll wait. sounds like a great concept and one i should give a chance tho

On topic of GOTY: i wouldnt even know how to order spots 2 through 10 as its been one hell of a year thus far with more to come. Of the shit ton of games ive played, only cave story , FFXII and horizon did nothing for me personally.

I don't think she chose to become a face, just the crowd decided to love her. I still think she is being the same person on the mic.

I think Sasha might be better than Charlotte they're really 1a-1b, but then again Sasha was on the indy scene for a while right?

My issue with Sasha is she cannot decide who she wants to be. Her promos flip flop between THE BOSS and 'wrasslin fan turned champ'. She's also not nearly as competent in the ring as Charolette.

For me it'd go Charolette, Becky, Sasha, Alexa based on current talent. Asuka is definitely #1 overall

It's easier to play a heel than it is to play a face. Especially when you're the one who always wins and are given all the time in the world to talk to your opponents who can't say anything back to you.

If you compare the ring work of heel Sasha, Bliss, and Charlotte, Sash was clearly the best.

Anth0ny

It's Rock. He's a legitimate megastar and helped keep the momentum going during the hottest period in wrestling history. No one else could have been 1b to Austin's 1a like Rock was.

he's also better in ring than cena. especially from a storytelling/psychology perspective, let alone stuff like selling, facials, etc. promos it's not even close.

Sephzilla

It's Rock. He's a legitimate megastar and helped keep the momentum going during the hottest period in wrestling history. No one else could have been 1b to Austin's 1a like Rock was.

he's also better in ring than cena. especially from a storytelling/psychology perspective, let alone stuff like selling, facials, etc. promos it's not even close.

I honestly never thought Rock was that good in the ring, to be honest. He also gets negative points for having the worst Sharpshooter in history

Man, the thing about The Rock is I have a lot of memories of his moments in promos and segments but I can't fucking draw up any memory of any of his in-ring performances. Like I know what programs he had but his matches just dont sit in my memory bank.

Sephzilla

Man, the thing about The Rock is I have a lot of memories of his moments in promos and segments but I can't fucking draw up any memory of any of his in-ring performances. Like I know what programs he had but his matches just dont sit in my memory bank.

There's only one Rock match that immediately pops into my mind when I think about the match itself

wwe-the-rock-vs-hulk-hogan.png

This is Cena except he's a face

Pretty much. Steph telling Bayley she didn't deserve her title was the moment her character was fucked, nothing she said could have worked because it was true and if she gave up the title the crowd would have turned on her then. It was the most Cena thing imaginable.

Her Alexa feud was that on a weekly basis. Like, she could have just come out and finally snapped at Alexa during the this is your life segment , saying Alexa was pathetic for hiring actors and making everything up. Instead we get a meta-joke next week about the quality of the segment and that's it because it was all true.

Top Bottom